Reflecting on BW and Looking Ahead to Gen VI - SEE POST #508

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm kind of hoping for a fire-type rapid spin. Flash fire users would be a lot better in OU because of this, and at least Ferro and Forry would take some damage from this kind of spin.
Yeah right

fire-rapid spin Torkoal to Ferrothorn

13.63 - 17.04%

they still laugh in your face

I would like defog to be fixed to blow hazards off your side of the field, unfortunately defog looks be be forgotten.

Deluks917

Ride on Shooting Star
I'd love a new RSe or even an new DPP. but a new GSC would be horrible imo. GSC was (and is) just way too defensive. A huge percentage fo turns your attacks just don't do anything. We are probably going to go in an even more offensive direction which is also bad,

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here's the list of things i want in XY:
1-Evolutions of gen III pokemon.
2-A decent Ice-Electric pokemon with sheer force.
3-A nerf to entry hazards.
4-Energy Ball for Electric and Fire pokemon.
5-Electric and Fire type pryority.
6-More offence.
I don't no man. All the things you stated would heavily buff offence, which this meta doesn't need. I mean, if your into that kind of battling that's fine by me, but honestly if everything on this list was implemented there would be absoulutely no defensive strategy to the meta, which some people enjoy. I don't think it would be fair if GameFreak ruined Stall/bulky offence since a lot of players still enjoy these kinds of team building. I myself prefer balanced offensive teams with two defensive pivots, one for taking offensive moves and the other taking special moves. Usually there's also a third that's offensive but bulky, like Latias for example. The other 3 are either sweepers or Choice users. I would prefer to keep it this way then pretty much be forced to keep up with the offense by making a team that's all offense and no defense or support. It would really ruin the fun of the meta game to be honest. However, if it does happen, then it looks like I'll have to look for a new favorite tier to play in.

Yeah right

fire-rapid spin Torkoal to Ferrothorn

13.63 - 17.04%

they still laugh in your face

I would like defog to be fixed to blow hazards off your side of the field, unfortunately defog looks be be forgotten.
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape (Fire-type) Rapid Spin vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 99-125 (28.12 - 35.51%) -- possible 4HKO

now this seems a lot better doesn't it.

I think that there could be a few changes that will make me go out of NU and into OU again.

Nerf to hazards:

They are way too powerful and have become a semi nessesity on pretty much every kind of team. Better rapid spin distribution/rapid spin clone would be great

Nerf weather:

Seriously, this NEEDS to happen. I think everyone has covered this already.

New typing? Well... as long as it can topple dragons, anyway.

Buff to ice pokemon:

they need to be proper dragon counter. Hell, even a bulky steel/ice type would give dragons something to truly fear.

More pokemon improvements:

DW was a great addition to pokemon, giving many forgotten pokes a niche in OU, but there are still some that need new moves/abilities/evos

However, we need to remember that GF don't make these as competitve games, and that we independently make a lot of this meta. So we need to help as well, such as recognising and sorting out problems quicker (Like gene was around for longer than he could have been, and the fact that we only now are trying to get rid of the massive rain threats that have been sucking all the fun out of OU)

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A better spin blocker definitely sounds great, though whether it would boost stall more than offense... questionable.

Also, an ability that removes hazards on entry (not all at once maybe, but how about 1 layer of Spikes/SR at a time?).

Honestly, the bigger problem with stall doesn't stem from a lack of new/exceptional defensive/utility Pokemon. On the contrary, defensive Pokemon are really popular-- except we're seeing Deoxys-D, Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Tentacruel, Jellicent, Forretress etc. on offensive teams, not defensive ones.

The problem with stall is not access to good Pokemon. Let's face it, some of the very best defensive Pokemon (like Deoxys-D, Xatu, Sableye, and Mew) play a big role in ruining the stall strategy.

The real problem with stall is the increasing number of threats (offensive AND defensive) that decreases the viability of countering every threat in the metagame with a set of 6 Pokemon. Yes, even new defensive Pokemon bring a new threat stall has to deal with, and it still only has 6 members to do it.

No matter how many awesome defensive/utility Pokemon GF chooses to include, you still only get to pick 6 of them to try and counter everything when you go for a stall team. When you build a stall team and ladder, it's not 6 v. 6-- it's 6 v every threat in the metagame; a number that seems to continue to increase as new threats are introduced, and as even UU Pokemon become more and more threatening in OU.

Then we have to add in the fact that GF has to make buck-- the game has to feature Pokemon that will create hype and impress its customers. What type of Pokemon do you think best excite the target audience of elementary school boys? Fucking bad-ass offensive Pokemon, duh-- you need to include a number of Scizors, Garchomps, Metagross's, and Terrakions. GF can't avoid making them if it wants to keep Pokemon profitable.

So, there you go-- I don't think "fixing stall" is something you can do just by adding more Pokemon; especially not in a corporately viable fashion.

tl;dr: Stall's problem is having only 6 Pokemon to counter everything (off AND def threats)-- and "everything" just gets bigger and bigger.

I agree with the subject brought up earlier that team preview should be kept. Personally, I started battling competitively a little ways into 5th gen, but I already find that it adds a deep layer of strategy to the match. Without it, one would find them self sacking pokes early on, only to find that they would have needed them later.
Also, I believe that Stealth Rocks should be nerfed. If the damage taken from rocks from every poke was cut in half, it would make pokes like Victini and Kyurem much more viable, and may even put Kyurem-B where it belongs: in ubers.
On the subject of Kyuren-B, he should really learn some sort of physical ice move. Even STAB ice punch would make him a bigger threat alone.
I would also enjoy the addition of a more powerful poison pokemon, maybe a legendary (the first poison legendary, to be exact). Poison would really do well to counter the mass of BW fighting types, in the way that Toxicroak could easily wall the musketeers almost every time.
Please, don't add "Ice Rocks". with the effect stealth rocks already have, we really don't need more. Dragons would become far less viable, and Salamence/Dragonite/Rayquaza would all lose 75% on entry with both rocks and "ice rocks" up. Do we really want Dragonite to be terrible AGAIN?
Finally, please give Aerodactyl Head smash/Brave Bird, and give Flareon Flare Blitz. They deserve it.
That is all.

X / Y should have a "pick 6" system where you have 8 or so mons on a given team, and you choose 6 from the team preview. On stall teams you can chuck out useless mons, ie heatran against rain, while still potentially having the heatran again a sun team. This would make it easier to counter the increasing amount of threats each gen. We got Keldeo, Politoed, Terrakion, Multiscale nite, tornadus, excadrill in gen 5, mons in gen 6 will only be more powerful. It has reached the point where it is nearly impossible to fend off everything without relying on stale team builds. Since 1 defensive mon can cover several offensive ones, a well built team can cover many threats. Just throwing that out there.

make the weather inducing abilities last only 5 turns would be a good start. 7 if holding damp rock/etc.

I would love weather nerfs and some changes to hax (like hit chance or crits, especially crits) but I don't see that happening. It's not like this game is made with competitive players in mind.

Rock types Absorbing rocks sounds good.
Also, there is a fire spinning move... Fire SPIN lol. Except it does nothing to the hazards. Will be good if it does though.

^Along with that, Whirlpool and Sand Tomb might be given the same effect.

Rock types absorbing rocks? Tyranitar becomes that much more ubiquitous.

I don't understand; are you saying the Physical/Special split was a bad thing? 'Cuz I honestly can't tell. I haven't been around long enough to know what competitive play was like before it, but the Phys/Spc split gave a lot of Pokemon a second chance at life (Feraligator was pretty happy about it), and like you said, it made it so certain Pokemon can't counter every Physical or Special threat.

All defense needs to make a comeback are Pokemon that have the right tools to abuse it. Cofagrigus and Ferrothorn were both big steps in the right direction, even if the rest of Gen V went offense out the ass; if Cofagrigus had a recovery move and a higher HP stat, it'd be an incredible wall. Exploring the defensive advantages of new typings (namely those that aren't part Steel-type) might also uncover some strong defensive candidates.
I don't know if the physical/special split was a "good" or "bad" thing. I enjoyed playing the game both before and after it. And it did make a lot of Pokemon viable, and made others less viable.

However, what I DO know is that the physical/special split was probably the most damaging thing to stall strategies, and which it got so much less popular in Gen IV than it was in GSC and RSE. Pokemon like Skarmory, Forretress, Weezing, Swampert, etc. have no weaknesses to ANY physical attacks before the split, for example.

Reversing it would definitely make defensive play more viable. Again, I don't know if it would be a "good" or a "bad" thing to bring it back, but the split was the most major turning point with regards to that imo.

1. No Dream World abilities, hopefully no transferring from gen 5 to 6.
No Techniloom, no Drizzle or Drought, Blaziken to RU, no special Landorous, no magic bounce.

This pretty much means everything gets nerfed somehow, but it wont happen because the dex will have 700+ in it and the nintendo guy said that "some" of the older Pokemon are available in game.

2. Remove a few moves.
E.g Stealth Rock and Shell Smash. Wont happen though...

3. Unviable legendary trios.
The 3 dogs, birds, regis and psychic trio are all pretty poor in OU, bar maybe one or two who are below average. It was good this way, since they have really high base stats but not the movepool/typing, which balances out.

In gen 5, Landorus, Tornadus, Thundurus, Terrakion.......... Virizion also isn't bad. Not to mention Keldeo.

Evolutions from previous gens
Why there were none of these, I don't know. Even if there are split evolutions like Snorunt and Kirlia.

To reflect on BW, it was awful for my taste. Terrakion and Ferrothorn will always be broken the way I see it, and there are too many Pokemon to check. The onslaught of Dragons was too much (Gen 4: Three Dragons, Gen 5: Eight Dragons). Then there are the random Chlorophyll sweepers, along with Volcarona, Reuniclus back in the day where I found I needed specific checks just for these sorts of Pokemon.

Most of us are hoping for a lot of nerfs, but I can see there being more broken threats.

It's been mentioned countless times already, but I really want a change to entry hazards. My idea is you can fuse any typing of choice with stealth rocks, turning it into that typing. As such, you can have stealth fire, stealth ice, stealth fists, any type at all, but only one.
This will allow a lot more customization to cater for your team. Is your team weak to steel types? Stealth fire is for you. Is your team weak to dragons? How about stealth ice? Don't like rain? Stealth jolts might help. etc etc
I like this idea firstly because certain pokes don't get the shaft simply because they're weak to rocks. Pokemon like Moltres, which were already pretty bad pokemon, suddenly become completely unusuable.
Secondly, this allows much more teams to exist. The ability to specifically weaken the threats to your team is an idea I really want to try.

A second idea I thought was pretty neat was the move 'strange pollen'. It's a grass type move which emits an unusual pollen with strange effects. It causes all resistances and weaknesses to become reversed. So with strange pollen in effect, grass type, which is normally super effective against 3 things and resisted by 7 things, is now super effective against 7 things and resisted by 3. It's a crazy idea I would love to see. Haha Abomasnow under strange pollen becomes pretty dang bulky. :P

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
i just want a reliable, decently powered (like 80-90 BP) rock-type attack with good distribution

seriously thats it

The Wishlist of a Princess (aka GameFreak hop on this)
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Try getting rid of Scald?
  • Less OP Mons.
  • Get rid of Scald.
  • Get rid of Scald.

• Fix the broken sleep mechanics
  • Stop with all the shitty Dragons
  • Give Jolteon Aura Sphere
  • Give Archeops Hurricane
  • Abolish Scald

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Apart from what people said above, I want Scald abolished a decent Flying-type attack with good distribution. Seriously, many current Flying-type Pokémon don't get Brave Bird, also, Acrobatics has little use if you are using an item, Aerial Ace is too weak to be useful, Hurricane only works on rain, Air Slash is useless for physical-attacking Flying-types, Sky Attack and Fly take 2 turns to function, and Aeroblast has terrible distribution.

With all that said, a Flying-type U-Turn would be great, especially if Pokémon like Landorus, and Salamence, got it.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TBH, I am more waiting for a surprise than asking for things, since I'm extremely interested in any new abilities / moves that will come out. I'm sure we'll all have a ton of fun experimenting new ideas and forming new strategies.

Some more diversity would be nice though. I want a metagame that's more focused on bulky offense now- since, I think that sort of strategy is working best for OU players now. I want another fast Dragon that will sweep teams, and some more pivotal Volt Turners would be cool too.

Oh, and MORE SPINNERS PLEASE. Seriously, spinning in OU is downright retarded, and the lack of good spinners is throwing the metagame out of balance. There are so many powerful pokemon that are GREAT but require spin support- which, is either Starmie / Tenta / Forre or a Magic Bouncer, none of which really have good synergy with pokemon that are actually weak to SR, such as flying / fire / bug / ice types. OU is really lacking some good, balanced sweepers. You either have to ditch any thoughts of offense and go without Starmie, or, you can go with Starmie. We're really starved for options, so I'd like some more spinners please.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)