BW OU Reflections - A team by Stone_Cold (peaked #1)

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
Facts about the team
Peaked #1
6 wins in the frontier

This team IS NOT meant to take hits, so don't tell me what it covers and doesn't cover. I am retiring this team and know it's weaknesses very well. It is made for a quick sweep and has done so much for me, this is by far the most fun team I have ever used and I find myself going back to it everytime I use it. Please enjoy.

About the name of the team
Saturday night, August 5th. Stone_Cold, Eo Ut Mortus, and TheFourthChaser were in a 3 way call and I was murking and showing them my skills, then out of nowhere we all started singing Reflection from Mulan in Harmony. Now everytime I use this team, I listen to Reflections as I use this and it has gotten me 95% win rate when I use this team in coordination with that song.

I encourage you all to listen to this as you view the team and read my last comments. Please enjoy and without further ado. I asked Andrea aka Godudette on Smogon to sing Reflections for my RMT introduction music and she hesitantly agreed. Here you all are. Give her a round of applause.

Politoed (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Perish Song

I have only used one Politoed set ever and this would be it. Specs is strong, but Specs can't pull a sweep like ScarfToed can. ToxicProtect is cool, if you like to stall and want to use a terrible set. This is the set guys, Focus Blast is a piece of shit move and I am removing for hp grass momentarily, fucking Gastrodons ruining my day.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Grass]

One of the best rain sweepers I have ever used. Normally OHKO's Scizor cold and obviously has the ability to sweep. However, Rapid Spin is it's main priority as it allows me to help 3 of the 4 following pokemon do their job. While sweeping with Starmie is beneficial and always welcome, it's main purpose is to support this face paced team.

Jolteon (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Underrated. I had Rotom on this team, it was cool. I put Jolteon on this team, I never once looked back. The speed and pure power of Thunder is one of the best feelings. I had magnet on for a while but Ebelt normally allows HP Ice to KO gliscor 100% of the time. Jolteon help prepares Dugtrio for Nintetails, Tyranitar, Jirachi, etc.

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Rain Dance

Many people ask me, "Stone, what in your opinion is one of the greatest sweepers you have used". My response is: Hurricane on blast. Many of the Frontier brains fell victim to Specs Hurricane early on and it is such a spectacular move. Jirachi's get 3hko'd and Heatran is the only Pokemon I have witnessed who can attempt to tank it and in Rain it's still not doing a heapload. This guy is one of the few reasons I can get quick wins, don't underestimate this guys power.

Guys just ignore dark pulse and focus blast, they serve no purpose and are filler. If im not U-turning, im SPECS HURRICANE ON BLAST. No need for all that other shit. <3

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
(Please lower hp to 201 for 50hp subs)
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Reversal

I would like to start this set off by thanking Tobes for such an incredible set. Before this was the main set to use, I was introduced to this on the East World Cup channel by Tobes, as far as I am concerned he created this set and introduced it to BW OU. Please correct me if I am wrong. With the ability to weaken and get rid of some of the biggest threats in the game, there is no reason to even consider moving this guy off this team. I have killed every single weather pokemon in the game w/ this, even Abomasnow. Tornadus and Jolteon set this guy up so perfectly and many times I can get sr off before the intiial kill. By far one of the most fun pokemon I have ever used.

---Note---
Every battler longs for the incredible feeling of having a set they can call their own. Philip7086 in 2009 created a set that exploded on Smogon and had people in awe. Torment Heatran. Many of us know it today and while I have made a plethora of sets with Philip7086, and have a few I could call my own, this is by far the best pokemon I have ever used on any of my teams. Countless times I have swept, and I have never been more proud to make this guy. It was totally worth it and I am glad I can share it all with you. I have gotten numerous PO pm's and Forum pm's asking for the set and spread so here it is.

Thanks to:
Tobes for inspiring this set for me
IFM for inspiring this set for me
Earthworm for helping me finish the ev spread​

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 16 SDef / 160 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

With the addition of Multiscale, Dragonite is one of the best pokemon in BW OU right now. What many didn't consider at the time of me creating this set a couple months ago was abusing Multiscale with Substitute and Roost. Originally this was jolly nature with 16 speed and the rest in Special Defense but it was proven that Careful nature and 160 speed is more beneficial. With the ability to stall ice beams and hp ices and get the initial set up, I have gotten more pure sweeps with this pokemon then any other pokemon in my entire pokemon career. I see myself all the time simply sacrificing my entire team so I can just set this guy up vs stall teams and sweep. If you have faced this team and haven't lost to this guy, I would be very suprised. This is the reason I play pokemon, theres just sets that can stun you and make you want to use them over and over and this is one of them.

Final Note:
Im not looking for too much criticisim, this is more or less me just showing this team to everyone and making it public for use if anyone wants to ever try it or make some of their own additions to it. This team has more then lived up to my expectations.

To team raters, if you choose to rate this, keep in mind it isn't meant for pure switch ins. It's an offensive team and it seems these days you guys forget that word. It's meant to pound the opponent down and not let them have any room for error. This team is very simple to use and not complex. Theres a lot of holes but I have played around every hole that has been presented to me at some point. Enjoy everyone :)

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 16 SDef / 160 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Dragon Claw
- Substitute
- Roost
- Dragon Dance

Politoed (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Perish Song

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Rain Dance

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Jolteon (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Volt Absorb
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Dugtrio (F) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Reversal

This team is similar to my team, except for the whole being a lot better. Couple a questions, why do you run dark pulse on tornadus? no grass knot/hp ice?

I run specsjolt and love it. Good synergy with tornadus since it baits eq's, however it does kill momentum w/ ground type switchins. Might have to try out expert belt.

Whats your answer to icebeam/scald/ep/recover gastrodon? Can dnight set up on it effectively? because it walls a lot of your team.

Very cool team overall, thanks for showing me it

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
This team is similar to my team, except for the whole being a lot better. Couple a questions, why do you run dark pulse on tornadus? no grass knot/hp ice?

I run specsjolt and love it. Good synergy with tornadus since it baits eq's, however it does kill momentum w/ ground type switchins. Might have to try out expert belt.

Whats your answer to icebeam/scald/ep/recover gastrodon? Can dnight set up on it effectively? because it walls a lot of your team.

Very cool team overall, thanks for showing me it

I edited the tornadus thing. I could put GKNote I guess. HP Ice isn't needed, nothing Specs Hurricane doesn't cover. IB/Scald/EP/Recover Gastro will not do ANYTHING to Dnite and it will set up very easily. If Gastro has toxic, that's anothing thing but I am good enough to play around it. However, to a beginner I would suggest strapping on hp grass and gk on Poli and Tornadus.

Keep the questions up, I am more then happy to answer. :)

I remember seeing this team in action and that dragonite is the MVP of the team. Im thankful you shared your set to me before when i was playing it in a similar team set up and it worked wonders. Unfortunately i deleted the team accidentally, but now im reunited with that dragonite set <3. Sometimes that dragonite is all you need to win. Great rain offense :)

Nice team? I remember you begging for a win against me on the ladder when you were trying to pass lamppost at points. The nick was Restricted if you are not able to recall. Btw this team is too pathetic to hit #1 lmfao, who are you kidding dude? I'd say great job at making these beast pokes look like nubs.

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
BECAUSE YOU FORCED ME TO.

This is really great, I'll always dig a team that uses Tornadus, Dugtrio, Jolteon and Starmie; and that Dragonite set is a fucking huge whore. As you said, putting HP Grass somewhere would be helpful, especially now that Gastrodon / Heatran / Skarmory cores got more common. I don't see your team too hard pressed to deal with Gliscor and Landorus to be honest, so maybe it could replace HP Ice on Jolteon (though when it comes down to one on one, HP Ice will always be better; and Dragonite has the potential to bitch your team pretty hard). Another option is giving HP Grass to Starmie (or even Psyshock, as IIRC it can 2HKO) over Thunderbolt, which would allow you to hit Rotom as well. You could always run Psyshock / Hydro Pump / Recover / Rapid Spin to ensure you'll be around to dick Gastrodon as well and retain good coverage, but then you'd let Dragonite / Latias setup and that isn't too nice.

Anyways, just some random thoughts. Also give your Tornadus Tailwind, it could really help if you let something like Gyarados or Dragonite setup ._.

Good job negres and good luck

It's like Heal Bell Nite, but better!

Anyway, this is a great team Stone. Not going to bother giving some amateur rate since you'll blow my ass out of the water.

Edit: I thought you said Tornadus sucks hehe

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
YOUR AVERAGE KILLS ADD UP TO 13 IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME

ALSO F U STONE FOR PUBLICIZING BULKY DD SUB NITE THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE A SET EVERYONE ENJOYED USED ON THE DL

OTHERWISE SOLID TEAM I ENJOY PLAYING WITH SLIGHT VARIATIONS OF IT (DIDN'T COPY YOU JUST ENDED UP WITH A SIMILAR CORE WHILE BUILDING ON BULKY SUB DD NITE)

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the presentation, Stone_Cold! Interesting team, especially your choice of DNite (I was expecting LO Rain-Mix).

Just like ShakeItUp and me, you may want to try out Hypnosis on ScarfToed. 60% may be chancy for you, but it helped me out. Whether it be Latias, Gastrodon, Jellicent, or Ferrothorn, you will be crippling them with sleep. Sleep will provide amazing support to your relatively frail team, granting your Rain Sweepers free switch-ins.

If you're putting any Grass move for Gastrodon, it should be on Starmie. You honestly don't want your choice mons to be locked into a grass move, the ultimate chance for being set-up bait. Starmie is naturally a great lure to Gastrodon, so it would have no problems 2-shotting it. It can then proceed to sweep a little on its own as well. I recommend Grass Knot > HP Grass, since Starmie's primary goal is to Spin away hazards, and HP Grass would do shit to Jellicent. Give Starmie Expert Belt to give it the 20% oomph it needs to break through Jelly and Gastri. Jolteon and Starmie can be belt friends. Grass Knot replaces Tbolt (why no Thunder).

Wouldn't Baton Pass be more fitting than Volt Switch? It lets Jolteon escape from Dugtrio and Pursuit Ttars, and lets it pass its Substitute. Unless you use Substitute very sparingly, only for emergency situations. It's something to consider imo.

Not having anything on Dugtrio to hit Flying / Levitator Pokemon is sort of scary, imo, since so many mons can set up on it. Stone Edge / Rock Slide / Rock Tomb should go over Sub imo... What does Sub do other than ensure max-damage Reversal? Is Max-damage Reversal necessary to take out Ttar? Sorry if this is a stupid question... haven't used Dugtrio myself.

Thanks for sharing your love.

Dave

formerly Stone Cold
Max reversal is important to KO TTar that'd be correct. I need lefties on Starmie, ebelt won't be doing much since most attacks I use is neutral damage and the extra hp is always nice. HP Grass on scarf toed is better imo since I murk lati's already believe it or not xD. Duggy has never killed my Jolteon since I normally have rocks up first and hp ice is a OHKO, unless they are sashed but they normally aren't. Thanks for the critique though, keep em coming.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh dang I remember seeing this team on ladder just tonight actually, i think that I beat it with tons of hazards and a crit, but this team is seriously well built and has few exploitable weaknesses.

idiotfrommars

HODOR HODOR HODOR
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Great team stone.

I remember the creation of that dnite set. Never thought it would turn into the monster it did, but you truly made it work.

Also put Tailwind over Dark Pulse. Might help in random situations where someone luck fucks you.

Valentine

Banned deucer.
Not bad Stone, grats on r1 ^-^
Super effective Dark Pulse hits lower than neutral Hurricane, replace it. Even with Specs, Taunt/Tailwind can come in handy

I didn't see substitute. But thats because I usually sacrifice Espeon to prevent hazards.

Weird pictures @_@
May I inquire as to how you handle jolteon?

Echoing the above poster, how would you deal with a Ferrothorn? IMO Dragonite has to be pretty damn ballsy to switch in on Ferro and hopefully set up, but Gyro Ball and Thunder Wave is tricky.

How bout CM latias? after one CM i don't see ice beam on politoed, jolteon or starmie doing much damage, you're only hope is for dragonite to set up early

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)