1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Regigigas sweep FTW!!!!!

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by onlyinAMERICA, Dec 31, 2012.

1. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA

EDITS WILL BE IN RED and BOLD.

OK so i had a very interesting idea.. I like Regigigas.... So why not use him to kick butt? Lets do it!

OK here's pretty much where i started:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Regigigas is the clean up sweeper to come in when the foe needs finishing off, set-up and sweep. Rotom(fan) spreads paralysis to give Regigigas more opportunities to set-up late game. And finally Skuntank handles the pokemon that Regigigas can't handle like psychics and ghosts with the coverage move i gave him. This is the core for my team. This is what it's centered around. Now on to the rest of the team!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So if Regigigas is the late game sweeper i needed an early game sweeper to punch holes into my opponent's team to help pave the way for a Regigigas sweep. with all the paralysis getting spread around i figured a Calm Mind Gardevoir is perfect to take advantage of the status being thrown around.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    So i needed a great specially defensive pivot that could wall a good many threats. Probopass gives me much needed resistances and can set Stealth Rock and pass paralysis to boot! A perfect fit.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Finally i needed a pokemon to act as a defensive pivot while taking care of the fighting types that could threaten Regigigas. Amoonguss fits my needs better than expected. And can toss around paralysis as well which if you haven't discovered by now is a recurring theme with this team.
    Through trial and error i figured out my team was weak to both Emboar and BU Braviary. So i decided to take a fellow poster's idea to use Regirock, which alleviated the problem by a metric butt-ton.
    So being able to Baton Pass stat boosts and set up earlier than expected for Regigigas was a great idea and who just so happens to be the best Baton Passer in the current meta-game? Ninjask. Boom! On the team.
    With Amoonguss off gallivanting in RU i had to search for someone equally capable of tanking the fighting types that would threaten Regigigas and the physical attackers in general that would threaten my team. i found quite the gem in Weezing, who fit my expectations and much more!

Now on to the rest of the team!

[​IMG]
    Regigigas @ Leftovers
    Trait: Slow Start
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave
    - Return
    - Drain Punch

So this build is pretty self explanatory. This guy sets up best if facing an opponent induced with paralysis. Just keep spamming Substitute till the opponent gets paralyzed and then proceed to set up Rock Polishes to ensure he out speeds everything. Return is his obligatory STAB move of choice, knocking the crap out of anything that doesn't resist it. Drain Punch handles rock and steel types(which would otherwise wall this set completely) and helps increase longevity but by giving up Zen Headbutt this set gets walled horribly by Ghost types. Not a thing can Regigigas do to a ghost type with this moveset. The EVs are pretty self explanatory as well as they maximize his offensive capabilities. A Jolly nature isn't needed because he has base 100 speed which is pretty good on its own without a boosting nature.

[​IMG]
    Skuntank @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Aftermath
    EVs: 252 Atk / 220 SDef / 36 Spd
    Adamant Nature
    - Sucker Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Poison Jab
    - Taunt

OK this set is mainly for removing pesky ghost types that would normally wall my Regigigas to kingdom come and not only ghost types but Gardevoir, Exeggutor, Musharna, Kadabra, Duosion, and Swoobat get owned as well as they are pretty much helpless against my stinky little friend. They try to outspeed and OHKO? Sucker Punched to the face! Try to switch out? Pursuit done ruined your day! Try to burn it? Taunting them till they cry! And Crunch just gives nice consistent damage altogether! With the right prediction Skuntank can be undefeatable at accomplishing his given task. The given EVs are for maximizing his offensive power while ensuring he can take a special hit or two.

[​IMG]
    Ninjask @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24
    Bold Nature
    - Air Slash
    - Thunder Wave
    - Confuse Ray
    - Substitute

Ninjask helps me out a lot more in assisting me with a Regigigas sweep! He can set up and Baton Pass out into Regigigas and start wrecking the opponent before Slow Start even wears off! Not to mention Mental Herb keeps him safe from Taunt.

[​IMG]
    Gardevoir @ Life Orb
    Trait: Trace
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Psychic
    - Focus Blast
    - Signal Beam

This is my first line of offense to punch holes in my opponents team. She can basically come in on a paralyzed foe and proceed to set up Calm Minds. Psychic his her obligatory STAB move of choice and knocks the crap out of anything that doesn't resist it. not to mention after a few CMs her special bulk is out the metric butt-ton and special attacks don't do jack squat to her. Her coverage hits a wide variety of pokes and not much can handle her after a few boosts. She has proved time and time again that Gardevoir is still a very competent threat to be considered, even in NU!

[​IMG]
    Regirock @ Leftovers
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Stone Edge
    - Drain Punch
    - Psych Up

So i noticed that my team was really weak to Emboar and BU Braviary. So i took the advice of someone that commented and said Regirock would help alleviate this problem. And i must say he does indeed work like a charm! He has made a big difference to my team by checking these two big threats and he sets Stealth Rock to boot!

[​IMG]
    Weezing @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - PainSplit
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Clear Smog

Unfortunately for me Amoonguss was sent up to RU leaving me with nothing to tank the fighting types that could threaten my Regigigas sweep and tank all other sorts of physical attackers. Luckily for me i found a godsend in Weezing. Weezing has excellent defensive typing to take on fighting types and has the defensive prowess to take many other hits from a lot of other physical attackers in the tier. Weezing has definitely had time to shine as the newest addition to my team.

Thank you to all who took the time to read this and your help would be greatly appreciated! Any help at all would benefit me greatly!
  2. ChuckHades

ChuckHades

Hi there.

While Regigigas is a complete badass, I think a lot of people use him wrong; he's not at his full potential when used as a sweeper. The 5 turns you spend trying to stall out could be used far more effectively, such as statusing big threats on the opponent's team to make it easier for a better sweeper to come in and set up. Therefore, I recommend that you change Regigigas to a bulky support build.

Regigigas@Leftovers
    EVs: 4 Sp.Atk/252 HP/252 Def/Sp.Def
    (whichever one you need, you could also play around to get a good mixed spread)
    Nature: Bold/Calm
    Moves:
    Toxic
    Knock Off
    Confuse Ray/T-Wave
    Thunderbolt

With this moveset, Regigigas negates its ability completely, and becomes a great support mon. Many people also forget that he has a usable 80 Sp.Atk stat, and Thunderbolt provides good coverage on many threats in NU, with almost no top tier pokes resisting it. This set is really outclassed by Lickilicky, but if you really wanna use Regigigas, this is his best set (honestly, if you wanna sweep with him just use ninjask and baton pass to him, you won't even notice the slow start when he's OHKOing most of the tier with return & a single swords dance up DURING slow start).

I also noticed that you don't have a scarfer, which could make revenge killing fast, powerful threats like Sawk very difficult. If you go ahead with my Regigigas set, then I suggest you change your Rotom Fan to a Choice Scarf set. 86 speed is ideal for a scarf in NU, and the team support role is already covered by Regi & Amoonguss (Amoongigigas, I like that).

Rotom Fan@Choice Scarf
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Speed/252 Sp.Atk
    Ability: Modest/Timid
    (Timid helps you outspeed opposing Scarf Rotom and Scarfed base 80s like Gardevoir, Modest gives you extra power, so whichever you want.)
    Moves:
    Trick
    Thunderbolt
    Air Slash
    Volt Switch/Will-O-Wisp/HP Grass

The first three moves are kinda needed on Scarftom, but the last moveslot is up to you. If you want scouting purposes, go with volt switch. If you want support, go with Will-O-Wisp (Will-O-Wisp on a scarfer seems weird, but it works similarly to the way Scarf Darkrai works in Ubers; status, go to more powerful poke, destroy). If you want coverage, go with HP Grass.

Hope this helped.
  3. citro

citro

hi;

At a glance, you seem very weak to Emboar. Absolutely nothing can switch in on a Choice Band Flare Blitz without being OHKOd or 2HKOd, while Scarf variants have a strong chance of sweeping you lategame. The unexpected Substitute + Special variants can set up on Skuntank or a fleeing Amoonguss and hit your whole team hard. In light of this, I'm going to suggest using Regirock > Probopass. It's not a full stop to Emboar by any means, but it at least gives your team a solid Fire resist so you can play around Emboar and other Fire-types like Rapidash. I also recommend using Poison Jab over Crunch on Skuntank - most Psychic and Ghost-types are beaten by Taunt + Sucker Punch anyway, and Emboar can be even more threatening if allowed a free switch in or Substitute.

[​IMG]
    Regirock @ Leftovers | Clear Body
    Adamant Nature | 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Stealth Rock | Stone Edge | Drain Punch | Toxic OR Psych Up (Psych Up gives you an easier time beating SubBU Braviary, but Toxic has more general utility)

I haven't used Regigigas a whole lot, but I'm almost certain you don't need Rock Polish. The defensive set posted by ChuckHades doesn't really appeal to me either as it's outclassed by Miltank and Lickilicky who have reliable recovery and more useful support moves to boot. I'd try out Thunder Wave > Rock Polish, because losing Slow Start doubles your speed already and paralysis helps you achieve that goal more easily.

Good luck with your team.
  4. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA

OK first off i wanna say thank you to the both of you for taking the time to read and reply to my RMT and i must say both options are really effective and I'm currently testing two different versions of both your ideas put together! And i must say both are completely viable, I'm just testing to see which i like better at the moment. Or i might keep both variations and flip flop between because i like them so much x)

But back to brass tax..... I've discovered that i have a really hard time with entry hazards.... Epecially Stealth Rock.... Any ideas? Anything and everything you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again you guys for taking the time to help me!!
  5. ChuckHades

ChuckHades

Your team doesn't seem all that stealth rock weak, but if you want a spinner, you could try out Armaldo over Probopass. Armaldo can also set up rocks of its own too, and has a base 125 Atk stat to boot, which is nice. I don't think you really need a spinner, tbh. The only poke weak to rocks is Rotom Fan, and he shouldn't be switching in repeatedly anyway. If you're smart with predictions, they'll be the ones switching, not you.

PS: Citro, I agree. The Regigigas set I posted is outclassed by other pokes, but give me a Regigigas set that isn't outclassed by something, lol.
  6. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA

I see what you mean now ChuckHades! I don't necessarily need a spinner. I only thought i did cause i was switching Rotom fan in and out a lot cause i was still trying to use him how i originally wanted to and that obviously wasn't smart. Thanks for the suggestion though! If at any point i feel i need a spinner i will definitely give Armaldo a try.

Thanks again!
  7. Iamlegendshot66

Iamlegendshot66

Hey nice team making use of my favorite pokemon, Regigigas. However if you really want to sweep with regigigas your going to need a ninjask to set up for it because slow start is really going to prevent any sweep from happening. I'd replace your rotom for a ninjask

Ninjask @ Mental Herb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Protect
    - Substitute
    - Swords dance
    - Baton Pass

This is my favorite set and uses a mental herb to prevent it from being taunt bait. If you want it to attack replace protect with an attacking move but really what's the point if you have a mental herb.
  8. Raseri

Raseri musharna fan
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Researcher Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    NU Leader

Hey America, this is a pretty interesting team. I don't think I've ever seen Regigas used well, but this looks like it has potential.

First of all, I think your Regigias set could use some work, Rock Polish really isn't that good. I think Thunder Wave would be a lot more useful in helping you last those 5 long turns. Rock Polish won't be of that much use anyways.

There are a few other small changes that could help improve this team as well, in particular, Skuntank wants Poison Jab somewhere on its moveset, probably over Crunch. Without it you are complete fodder for Fighting-types like Sawk, Gurdurr or Emboar, as they fear nothing from you. Crunch is the most expendable because with taunt and pursuit, you beat Musharna anyways, and all others should be running away.

You should also run Signal Beam > Shadow Ball on Gardevoir. They cover the same things for the most part, but Signal Beam gives you an accurate way to hit Absol, as well as hitting Exeggutor much harder, without losing coverage on other psychic-types. It is way better all around in NU.

tl;dr (open)

Thunder Wave > Rock Polish on Regigigas
    Poison Jab > Crunch on Musharna
    Signal Beam > Shadow Ball onGardevoir
  9. onlyinAMERICA

onlyinAMERICA

Hey guys! Hate to ask for help again after all the help you've given me but Amoonguss has moved up to RU! Which is bad news for my team! D: Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
  10. scorpdestroyer

scorpdestroyer is a pious radio
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Mentor

Hi, I like how your team uses Regigigas. But now that Amoonguss is RU I have a suggestion to replace Amoonguss with Vileplume. Vileplume can pretty much perform the exact same role as Amoonguss.

Set:

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
    Trait: Effect Spore
    EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 SAtk
    Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
    ~Giga Drain
    ~Stun Spore
    ~Sleep Powder / Sludge Bomb
    ~Moonlight / Aromatherapy

The EVs allow Vileplume to never be 2HKO-ed by Banded Sawk's Close Combat while healing itself with Moonlight. It also allows Vileplume a guaranteed OHKO on Gorebyss after SR damage with Giga Drain. Thus, it functions exactly like Amoonguss with reliable recovery / cleric abilities, and Effect Spore, which is very, very useful for your team if Effect Spore paralyzes the opponent.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)