Regigigas

Regigigas
Pokédex #: 486
Type: Normal
Base Stats: HP: 110 / Attack: 160 / Defense: 110 / Special Attack: 80 / Special Defense: 110 / Speed: 100
Ability: Slow Start

Level-up moves:
--: Fire Punch
--: Ice Punch
--: Thunderpunch
--: Dizzy Punch
--: Knock Off
--: Confuse Ray
--: Foresight
Lv 25: Revenge
Lv 40: Wide Guard
Lv 50: Zen Headbutt
Lv 65: Payback
Lv 75: Crush Grip
Lv 90: Heavy Bomber
Lv 100: Giga Impact

TM Moves
Toxic
Hidden Power
Sunny Day
Hyper Beam
Rain Dance
Safeguard
Frustration
Knock Down
Thunderbolt
Thunder
Earthquake
Return
Brick Break
Double Team
Rock Tomb
Aerial Ace
Facade
Sing A Round
Focus Blast
Fling
Payback
Vengeance
Giga Impact
Rock Polish
Stone Edge
Thunder Wave
Rock Slide
Swagger
Rock Smash
Strength

Overview: Ever since he was first introduced, Regigigas has been somewhat famous as the legendary who just didn't cut it. On most fronts, Regigigas has the makings of an extremely powerful Pokémon: An okay typing, insanely good stats, and a vast movepool with plenty of type coverage and support options. What went wrong? His ability. Put there to limit his otherwise overwhelmingly good stats, Slow Start completely cripples Regigigas's effectiveness by slashing his Attack and Speed stats in half for 5 turns. While he may be bulky, Regigigas has never had any recovery moves, and can't survive five rounds without his two best stats. This made him go from potentially amazing legendary to total joke in no time flat.

Sorry to say, but the new generation has done nothing to fix this problem for Regigigas: halved Attack and Speed are just as crippling as ever, even more so with the recent glut of fast and powerful pokémon joining the ranks. Even the promising addition of Desukan does nothing to help Regigigas; without Pursuit, he cant even attempt the strategy that Slaking, his brother in horrible abilities, can pull off with Mummy. Sad to say, but Regigigas will continue to be an absolute joke in Singles format.

However, in Double and Triple battles, things may be finally looking up for Regigigas, with the addition of two things: Mischievous Heart and the new-and-improved Mental Herb. The standard strategy with Regigigas in Doubles has always been to remove Slow Start by having his partner use Gastro Acid, Skill Swap, or Worry Seed. The problem with this was that it was an obvious strategy: Taunt became the death knell for Regigigas's attempts to get the match started. Now, though, we have Erefuun: Mischievous Heart makes his Worry Seed attack work with Priority, speeding past everything but other Priority moves. And Erufuun is fast on top of that: it would take another, equally fast Erufuun to stop him from bringing Regigigas up to full power on round 1. Alternatively, the item Mental Herb now stops moves like Taunt. Anything with Worry Seed, Skill Swap, or Gastro Acid can safely remove Slow Start without being Taunted: it would take both of the enemy's pokémon using Taunt to stop that. And an Erefuun with a Mental Herb is just completely unstoppable, in terms of laying a Worry Seed.

If that strategy works, and Regigigas is brought up to full power, he becomes a powerful physical sweeper for his team. In addition to packing powerful entire-field moves like Earthquake and Rock Slide, he also has the new move Wide Guard, which protects the team from all-targeting moves like... Earthquake and Rockslide. If paired with a good flying or levitating partner, a Regigigas cured of Slow Start could prove an extremely powerful asset to a doubles team. However, he does have to fear phazers: an inappropriately-timed Whirlwind or Roar could ruin him.

Possible set: (forgive me for not putting EV distributions. I still haven't quite worked that out)

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Adamant | Slow Start
Return/Frustration
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Wide Guard/Fire Punch

A fairly standard Doubles set. On turn one, he uses Rock Slide (or Earthquake, if his partner flies) to start doing damage after his partner removes Slow Start. Wide Guard is there for when you predict moves like Surf or Heat Wave. Alternatively, replace Wide Guard with Fire Punch for further type coverage, at the cost of some defense.

Anyway, I figured we should at least discuss him a little. If anyone has a better set idea, or can suggest a good EV spread, feel free.

Regigigas can perform the para-fusion set to wait out the 5 turns of Slow Start:
-Thunder Wave
-Confuse Ray
-Return
-Earthquake/Fire Punch
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 48 HP/252 Atk/208 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Hm. I hadn't thought about that. He does have the support attacks to try something like that: it's just too bad he doesn't get Protect.

Now that I think about it, sending him in after using Desukan might actually be decent. You can use Confuse Ray/Thunder Wave on the obvious switch, and that's one of five turns down.

breh

強いだね
I say sub/eq/return/RP. Yeah it's not that great but ev it in lots of defences and it could be decent. RP on the first turn (hope that your opponent doesn't have a skarmory). then sub against a hopefully slower threat. sub 4 times. try (hopefully!) to sweep.

Main problem with regigigas is not its ability (which would be VERY easy to bypass with most normal pokemon) but its godawful movepool (no protect is understandable but no freaking rest?) and poor typing (normal is really just... crappy; if this was steel-typed it would be god but noooo they had to give it one of the shittiest typings in the game).

Still though RP/Sub/EQ/Return looks to be the most viable set.

It's true. Normal may be ok, what with only one weakness and an immunity, but the lack of resistances, coupled with an almost complete lack of defensive moves, mean that it's extremely hard for Regigigas to survive those five turns.

What about Doubles, though? Any thoughts on pairing him with an Erufuun or something holding a Mental Herb?

I remember a strategy whereupon a Drifloon would use Skill Swap to give Regigigas Unburden, and then use Swagger on him: Regigigas would then eat the Persim Berry he was holding, clearing his Confusion and triggering Unburden. End result: Regigigas goes from 1/2 Attack and 1/2 Speed to x2 Attack and x2 Speed by the end of Round 2. A Mental Herb would make it more likely that the strategy could work (and perhaps give Drifloon an Unburden boost before the Swap)

any possible way to Trap Pass a choiced Ghost move to this guy? I cant really see any possible way seeing how a choiced Ghost move would just switch out before you get the Mean Look or Spider Web on it. Maybe fit Encore somewhere in there?

@Enlong, Regigigas' slow start activates when he switches in, halving his attack and speed. Removing his ability does not remove the nerfs to his stats. Although this may have changed this gen, it was true last gen. If anyone wants to test this, feel free, although this is simply to prove that Regigigas is not remotely usable, instead of possibly slightly usable in doubles/triples.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
any possible way to Trap Pass a choiced Ghost move to this guy? I cant really see any possible way seeing how a choiced Ghost move would just switch out before you get the Mean Look or Spider Web on it. Maybe fit Encore somewhere in there?
Trap Passing no longer works in Gen V.

@Enlong, Regigigas' slow start activates when he switches in, halving his attack and speed. Removing his ability does not remove the nerfs to his stats. Although this may have changed this gen, it was true last gen. If anyone wants to test this, feel free, although this is simply to prove that Regigigas is not remotely usable, instead of possibly slightly usable in doubles/triples.
Really? I've asked for confirmation of this I don't know how many times, and the most common answer I've heard is that removing his Ability only didn't work in the Japanese version of Diamond and Pearl, not in the American versions, or any version of Platinum or Battle Revolution.

Yeah, as Enlong said, this was a glitch that was only present in early copies of Japanese D/P.

And I object to the line "possibly slightly usable". Using Erufuun or something with a Mental Herb will bring him to full power before his first action, and his raw stats and movepool (both Earthquake and rockslide, alongside Wide Guard) make him quite powerful in doubles.

If you're using him in double battles, why not just have his partner remove Slow Start?

(oh, and his halved Attack is the same as his Special Attack, so it doesn't really matter what you go with if you don't remove Slow Start.

^Except that his special movepool basically consists of 3 moves, none of which he gets STAB on (Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Hidden Power).

If you're gonna use him, you mine as well attempt to get rid of / wait out Slow Start.

Regigigas: Beyond awesome design and stats, with the WORST ability in the entire game. Even Slaking's ability is 5 times better.

Ahh well, at least Gigas can be used effectively in Doubles and Triples. Too bad :(

I know this is nitpicking but Truant is no in no way shape or form better than Slow Start. If Regigigas had a better movepool then Slow Start wouldn't matter that much. Truant, on the other hand, means that your opponent will have complete advantage over you each 2 turns.
But you can at least kill something with Truant >.>

well, Truant actually halves ALL of your stats(not HP and Speed), because in one turn YOU move, the opponent can deal damage TWICE as much as they would normally do. This goes the same for YOU attacking, in 2 turns you do as much damage as a pokemon with half your attack stat(say, regigigas in first 5 turns). With Slow Start, your defenses dont get halved

I hope you all got this explanation

I know this is nitpicking but Truant is no in no way shape or form better than Slow Start. If Regigigas had a better movepool then Slow Start wouldn't matter that much. Truant, on the other hand, means that your opponent will have complete advantage over you each 2 turns.
You could do a somewhat gimmicky (but if pulled off it'll be tough) Desukan Mummy Trick on Slaking to get rid of it and abuse Slack Off/Bulk Up and Slaking's really really high bulk. However, having to deal with BL ubers (Darkrai, Latios, Shaymin-S) and weather makes it really hard. Although at least most of the bl ubers will be going soon so that's good. Probably not so much weather but one could hope for Drizzle/Drought ban. (I mean really, they had previously found that low level Kyogre/Groudon at 1 would still be broken for support with infinite weather, what has changed since then that makes weather less broken? It only got even more ridiculously powerful with Growth boosts Doubled, Solar Flare Charizard and Chlorphyll Venasaur, Mebjuka, Hidiharuma Flare Blitz for sun, and Shell Break, some other new swift swimmers for rain. Not as many improvements for rain because it really already had nearly everything and the potential to be broken with infinite weather. It was broken without infinite weather and the best you could do was stall it out without dying hopefully if Tyranitar was gone.)

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
Not the topic for that kind of talk. D=<

Plus, regigigas lacks pursuit and a boosting move, so he'll have to find a more reliable way to change his ability.

Not the topic for that kind of talk. D=<

Plus, regigigas lacks pursuit and a boosting move, so he'll have to find a more reliable way to change his ability.
I was responding to the person who said Truant was WAY worse. Although against Sub/Protect if you don't get rid of Truant, it would be.

Hm. I hadn't thought about that. He does have the support attacks to try something like that: it's just too bad he doesn't get Protect.

Now that I think about it, sending him in after using Desukan might actually be decent. You can use Confuse Ray/Thunder Wave on the obvious switch, and that's one of five turns down.
Everything gets protect, but do you really want a mono attacker?

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're using him in double battles, why not just have his partner remove Slow Start?

(oh, and his halved Attack is the same as his Special Attack, so it doesn't really matter what you go with if you don't remove Slow Start.
You're actually underestimating Regigiggas' Special Attacking "prowess." Slow Start doesn't cut Regi's base stats, it cuts the actual stats, based on nature, IVs, and EVs. Let's say that for 252 Atk and Adamant Nature:
Atk = floor((320 + 99)*1.1) = 460
so for the first 5 turns, Regigigas' Attack is 230, which is horrible. Now let's say you go with a Modest nature with 252 SpA:
SpA = floor((160+99)1.1) = 284, obviously better than 230, and can be used with Choice Specs for a SpA of 426. With its decent bulk, it can probably pull one of. There's a Specs set on site for 4th gen already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)