Registeel [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Registeel

[Overview]

<p>Registeel arguably is the best out of the original three Regis. It hasn't changed much since its release but still is a solid check to numerous Pokemon in UU. Registeel is one of the best counters to offensive Roserade, Raikou, and non-Tinted Lens Yanmega with its spectacular base 150 in both defensive stats. It boasts 11 resistances and 1 immunity in exchange for 3 common weaknesses. Registeel faces competition from other Steel-types, however, including Bronzong, Coballion, and Empoleon. To hinder Registeel even more, it lacks reliable recovery, making it able to be worn down easily. Nevertheless, don't let these cons discourage you from using Registeel, as it is still a solid wall.</p>

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Thunder Wave / Toxic
move 3: Seismic Toss
move 4: Earthquake / Shadow Claw
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the most viable set that Registeel can run without being outclassed. Registeel is a sturdy wall, so it can usually live a hit and set up Stealth Rock without breaking a sweat. Thunder Wave is the more useful status option as it can aid your team and cripple sweepers such as Azelf, Mienshao, and Sharpedo. Toxic is still a viable option against defensive teams, as it can cripple other walls such as Cofagrigus, Porygon2, and Slowbro. Seismic Toss is an excellent attacking move for Registeel as its base 75 Attack prevents it doing heavy damage. Earthquake is the more reliable option to hit the ever-so-common Fire- and Electric-types in the tier, such as Darmantian, Chandelure, and Raikou, for super effective damage. You can also opt to use Shadow Claw to hit Ghost- and Psychic-types for super effective damage; for example, Frolass, Mismagius, and Xatu.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A physically defensive Registeel is usually unviable because UU is filled with physical Ground- and Fighting-type attacks. Registeel enjoys Wish support from Pokemon such as Umbreon and Togekiss, as it has no recovery of its own. Pokemon like Gligar, Slowbro, and Zapdos have decent synergy with Registeel to take on Fire-, Ground-, and Fighting-types. Spinblockers, such as Sableye and Cofagrigus, are good partners because they keep Stealth Rock on the opponent's side while covering Registeel's Fighting weakness; the latter also has access to Will-O-Wisp so Registeel can take physical hits better. Iron Head can be used in place of one of Registeel's attacking moves for a paraflinch strategy, but this is outclassed by Togekiss, which has Serene Grace. Finally, Ice Punch is an option to hit Ground- and Flying-types such as Flygon and Honchkrow for heavy damage.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>A mono-attacking set consisting of Curse, Rest, Sleep Talk, and Iron Head seems attractive but due to Registeel's weaknesses, any Fighting-, Ground-, or Fire-type has no trouble taking it down, even after a boost. A Gravity set with Zap Cannon, Focus Blast, and Flash Cannon could be usable, but due to Registeel's low Special Attack and Speed, it is not very viable. A Rain Dance support set could be used, as Registeel's massive defenses almost always allow it to set up a Rain Dance, all while negating its Fire weakness. Aerial Ace is an option if you're desperate to hit Heracross, but it does not serve any other purpose. Counter and Magic Coat are usable to surprise the opponent but generally Registeel prefers its other moves.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite Registeel's sky-high defenses, it is still reasonably easy to check and counter. Any common Fire-, Ground-, or Fighting-type, such as Darmanitan, Mienshao, and Rhyperior, can demolish Registeel with its STAB moves. Trick users can cripple Registeel with a Choice item, rendering it useless for the rest of the match. Sableye and support Mew can Taunt Registeel, preventing Stealth Rock or a status move but must look out for Toxic on the switch. Xatu walls Registeel without Shadow Claw, as it can easily Roost off Seismic Toss damage and bounce back status and Stealth Rock. Bulky sweepers with Rest, such as Snorlax, Suicune, and Scrafty, set up on Registeel easily as it does little damage to them and Rest rids them of any status. Ghost-types with Substitute, such as Mismagius, can set up on Registeel without Shadow Claw and proceed to attack or set up with Nasty Plot or Calm Mind.</p>

[Unreleased]

<p>Clear Body is far superior to Light Metal, as it prevents Shaymin from lowering Registeel's Special Defense with Seed Flare. Furthermore, Light Metal is only useful against Pokemon that carry Low Kick, and it is incompatible with Seismic Toss, which is Registeel's most effective attacking option.</p>

Registeel

[Overview]
  • One of the best counters to sub Calm Mind Raikou, Shaymin and non Tinted Lens Yanmega
  • Solid base 150 defence in both stats
  • Boasts 12 resistances and 1 immunity exchange for 3 weaknesses
  • Faces competition from other Steel-types like Bronzong, Coballion and Empoleon
  • Unfortunately has reliable recovery making Registeel taken down easily.
  • Has only one viable set

[SET]
name: Tank
ability: Clear Body

[SET COMMENTS]
  • Clear Body is generally superior to Light Metal since it allows Registeel not to get nasty defence drop from Shaymin's Seed Flare. Light Metal only helps in very situational when Pokemon use Low Kick on it.
  • Stealth Rock is essential on every team and Registeel can usually live any hit with its base 150 defences.
  • Thunderwave can cripples sweepers that attempt to switch in on Registeel such as Mienshao or Heracross.
  • Toxic can be used to cripples walls like Cofagrigus, Porygon2 and Slowbro.
  • Seismic Toss does a set 100 damage which lets it whittle away at its opponent.
  • Earthquake let it hit Fire- and Electric-types such as Darmanitan, Chandelure and Raikou for super effective damage.
  • Shadow Claw can be used to hit ghost types such as Frolass, Mismagius and not be walled by Xatu.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
  • Enjoys wish support from Pokemon like Umbreon or Togekiss.
  • Teamates such as Gligar, Cresselia, Slowbro and Zapdos have good synergy with Registeel.
  • Registeel likes spin blockers like Sabyele and Cofagrigus because they keep Stealth Rocks on the opponent side while covering its fighting weakness.
  • Can use Iron Head in place of one of it's attacking moves to attempt paraflinch but it's better off to leave it to Togekiss who has Serene Grace.
  • Ice Punch can be used to hit Flygon or Nidoking on the switch in.

[Other Options]
  • A mono attacking set consisting of Curse, Rest, Sleep Talk and Iron Head set but due to it's common weakness Heracross, Victini and Flygon has no trouble taking it down even after a boost.
  • Gravity set with Zap Cannon, Focus Blast and Flash Cannon but it's low special attack and speed hinders it.
  • Rain Dance support set.
  • Counter for surprise factor.
  • Aerial Ace to 2HKO Heracross which is a very common Pokemon.
  • Magic Coat to bounce back hazards or Taunt.

[Checks and Counters]
  • Any Fire-, Ground- or Fighting-types including Darmanitan, Mienshao or Rhyperior can check it
  • Trick users can cripple Registeel.
  • Sableye or Mew that carries Taunt can Taunt Registeel rendering it useless since it can't use Stealth rocks or Thunder Wave while the latter being immune to Seismic Toss and can use Will-O-Wisp to hinder Registeel even more. They must watch out for Toxic on the switch though.
  • Xatu walls Registeels without Shadow Claw and can easily roost off the Seismic Toss damage.
  • Bulky sweepers with rest for example Snorlax, Suicune and Scrafty set up on Registeel easily as Registeel does little damage and the opposing threat can rest off the damage.
  • Sub NP or CM Mismagius sets up on Registeel if it's not carrying Shadow Claw.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I've used Registeel a bit lately, so I'm going to give in here despite not being QC.

As for the Overview, mention it's also the best Shaymin counter. With amazing defenses and Clear Body, it doesn't give a fuck about Seed Flare since the SpD drop is not gonna happen. Also acknowledge that it faces competition not only from Zong, but Cobalion and Empoleon as well. It's got some hard competition as a Steel-type in general.

I guess Cresselia could make a decent mention, despite being uncommon. Cresselia and Registeel have very interesting type synergy together. But I'm not so sure. Also mention a spinblocker to block spinners attempting to spin SR, and mitigating Regi's Fighting weakness.

Mention Sableye in Checks and Counters please. It Taunts Regi so it can't SR or T-Wave, and is immune to Seismic Toss. And since Registeel has no offensive presence and is hampered by Will-O-Wisp, Sableye is one of Registeel's biggest counters.

Other than that, I think the analysis is pretty good as is.

QC Approved 2/3

You're missing a mention of Seismic Toss in the Set Comments and be sure to mention that Earthquake also hits Raikou. Get this written up to get your 3rd check please!

Thanks not sure how I missed those. I'll try to get this written up this week, I have busy schedule so no promises

I remember that I suggested this long ago in SOC, but I don't like how Registeel is called a Tank. Why is it? Tanks are made to take a hit and the hit back hard, which Registeel cannot do.

I think the set should be called Utility or something because that is what Registeel is used for - take a hit and spread status or Rocks.

I remember that I suggested this long ago in SOC, but I don't like how Registeel is called a Tank. Why is it? Tanks are made to take a hit and the hit back hard, which Registeel cannot do.

I think the set should be called Utility or something because that is what Registeel is used for - take a hit and spread status or Rocks.
I agree with you on that I'll change it right away

The definition of tank is more loose than what you think actually. It's more closely relatable to "sponge" if you want it in simpler terms, which Registeel is designed to do. To play off your definition, Sesimic Toss still does a fair bit in UU, with many Pokemon in the tier failing to breach 300HP, 350HP tops. Utility works fine in its place however.

did gravity really not kick off that well? being able to pull off dynamic punch and zap cannon was really funny sometimes but is it too gimmicky? I feel like it deserves at least a mention in other options...

did gravity really not kick off that well? being able to pull off dynamic punch and zap cannon was really funny sometimes but is it too gimmicky? I feel like it deserves at least a mention in other options...
Registeel has really low offensive capability with base 75 att and sp att and on top of that all base 50 speed isn't helping it out. Imo it's too gimmicky

edit: didn't read this clearly, i'm not sure if you missed it or not but i did include it in the OO

Nas

Banned deucer.
Registeel has 11 resistances, not 12, and you should take out the part about it being able to check Shaymin in the Overview because it always loses despite its immunity to Special Defense drops.

QC Approved 3/3

Registeel has 11 resistances, not 12, and you should take out the part about it being able to check Shaymin in the Overview because it always loses despite its immunity to Special Defense drops.

QC Approved 3/3
Thanks I'll make those changes. This will be ready for GP tomorrow I'll probably make some tweaks to grammatically better.
edit: I will replace Shaymin with offensive Roserade.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Registeel arguably is the best out of the three Regis. It hasn't changed much since its release but still is a solid check to numerous Pokemon in UU. Still to this day Registeel is one of the best counters to offensive Roserade, Raikou, and non-Tinted Lens Yanmega with its spectacular base 150 in both defensive stats. It boasts 11 resistances and 1 immunity in exchange for 3 common weaknesses. Registeel faces competition from other Steel-types, however, including Bronzong, Coballion, and Empoleon. To hinder Registeel even more, (AC) it doesn't even have reliable recovery, (AC) making it able to be worn down easily. Nevertheless, don't let these cons discourage you into from using Registeel, (AC) as it is still a solid wall to use.<p>

[SET]
ability: Clear Body

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the best viable set that Registeel can run without being outclassed. Clear Body is generally superior to Light Metal, (AC) as since it allows Registeel not to get a nasty defence drop from Shaymin's Seed Flare. Light Metal only helps in situations when Pokemon use Low Kick on it. Registeel is a sturdy wall, (AC) so it can usually live any hit and set up Stealth Rock without breaking a sweat. Thunder Wave is the more useful status option as it can aid your team and cripple sweepers such as Azelf, Mienshao, and Sharpedo. Toxic is still a viable option against defensive teams, as it can cripple other walls such as Cofagrigus, Porygon2, and Slowbro. Seismic Toss is an excellent attacking move for Registeel since as its Registeel's base 75 Attack prevents Registeel it doing heavy damage while making it not Taunt bait. Earthquake is the more reliable option because it to hit hits the ever-so-common Fire- and Electric-types in the tier such as Darmantian, Chandelure, (AC) and Raikou for super effective damage. You can opt to use Shadow Claw as it allows Registeel to hit Ghost- and Psychic-types for super effective damage; for example, Frolass, Mismagius, and Xatu.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A physically defensive orientated Registeel is usually unviable redundant to specially defensive because UU is filled with physical Ground- and Fighting-type users. Registeel enjoys wish support from Pokemon such as Umbreon or Togekiss, as it has no recovery of its own. Gligar, Slowbro, and Zapdos for example have decent synergy with Registeel as their typing to takes on Fire-, Ground-, (AC) and Fighting-types. Spinblockers, including such as Sabyele and Cofagrigus, (AC) are good partners because they keep Stealth Rock on the opponent's side while covering its Registeel's Fighting weakness and the latter has access to Will-O-Wisp so Registeel can take physical hits better. Iron Head can be used in place of one of its Registeel's attacking moves for a paraflinch strategy, to attempt paraflinching but generally redundant when but is outclassed by Togekiss, which who has Serene Grace does a better job. Finally, Ice Punch is an option to hit Ground- or Flying-types such as Flygon or Honchkrow for heavy damage.<p>

[Other Options]

<p>A mono-attacking set consisting of Curse, Rest, Sleep Talk, and Iron Head seems attractive set but due to its Registeel's common weaknesses, any Fighting-, Ground-, (AC) and Fire-type have has no trouble taking it down, (AC) even after a boost. A Gravity set with Gravity, Zap Cannon, Focus Blast, and Flash Cannon could be usable but due to Registeel's its low Special Attack and Speed it remains not very viable hinders Registeel to effectively use this set. A Rain Dance support set could be used, as since Registeel's massive defenses allows it almost always to set up a Rain Dance, (AC) all while negating its Fire weakness. Aerial Ace is possible if you're desperate to hit Heracross as it 2HKOs, other than that but it does not serve any other purpose. Counter and Magic Coat are usable to surprise the opponent but generally Registeel prefers its other offensive moves its a one trick pony move.<p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite Registeel's sky-high defenses, it is still reasonably easy to check and counter it. Any common Fire-, Ground-, (AC) or Fighting-types, (AC) such as Darmanitan, Mienshao, and Rhyperior, (AC) can demolish Registeel with their STABs. Trick users can cripple Registeel with a Choice item, rendering it useless throughout the match. Sableye or support Mew can Taunt Registeel, preventing Stealth Rock or a status move making it useless since it can’t use Stealth Rock or Thunder Wave while the latter can heal off any damage dealt, though they but must be wary for Toxic on the switch in. Xatu walls Registeel’s without Shadow Claw, (AC) as for days since it can easily Roost off the Seismic Toss damage and bounce back status or Stealth Rock. Bulky sweepers with Rest, such as Snorlax, Suicune, and Scarfty, (AC) set up on Registeel easily as since it does little damage to them and Rest rids of any status off any status or damage. Ghost-types with Substitute, (AC) such as like Mismagius, (AC) can set up on Registeel’s without Shadow Claw then and proceed to Substitute and finally use set up with Nasty Plot or Calm Mind.<p>

The pokegrammar was improved, but the prose was still a little weak; this will come with time spent writing.
[gp]1/2[/gp]

GP check. Good job on writing this.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>Registeel arguably is the best out of the three four / original three Regis. It hasn't changed much since its release but still is a solid check to numerous Pokemon in UU. Registeel is one of the best counters to offensive Roserade, Raikou, and non-Tinted Lens Yanmega with its spectacular base 150 in both defensive stats. It boasts 11 resistances and 1 immunity in exchange for 3 common weaknesses. Registeel faces competition from other Steel-types, however, including Bronzong, Coballion, and Empoleon. To hinder Registeel even more, it doesn't even have lacks reliable recovery, making it able to be worn down easily. Nevertheless, don't let these cons discourage you from using Registeel, as it is still a solid wall.<p>

[SET]
ability: Clear Body (unless there's been some event I missed since January, Light Metal Registeel isn't released, so there's no need for an ability tag and Light Metal should only be mentioned in an Unreleased section (which you do need))

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is the best viable set that Registeel can run without being outclassed. Clear Body is enerally superior to Light Metal, as it allows Registeel not to get a nasty defence drop from Shaymin's Seed Flare. Light Metal only helps in situations when Pokemon use Low Kick on it. (moving this to Unreleased) Registeel is a sturdy wall, so it can usually live any a hit and set up Stealth Rock without breaking a sweat. Thunder Wave is the more useful status option as it can aid your team and cripple sweepers such as Azelf, Mienshao, and Sharpedo. Toxic is still a viable option against defensive teams, as it can cripple other walls such as Cofagrigus, Porygon2, and Slowbro. Seismic Toss is an excellent attacking move for Registeel as Registeel's its base 75 Attack prevents it doing heavy damage. Earthquake is the more reliable option to hit the ever-so-common Fire- and Electric-types in the tier (add comma) such as Darmantian, Chandelure, and Raikou (add comma) for super effective damage. You can also opt to use Shadow Claw to hit Ghost- and Psychic-types for super effective damage; for example, Frolass, Mismagius, and Xatu.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A physically defensive Registeel is usually unviable because UU is filled with physical Ground- and Fighting-type users attacks. Registeel enjoys wish Wish support from Pokemon such as Umbreon or and Togekiss, as it has no recovery of its own. Pokemon like Gligar, Slowbro, and Zapdos for example have decent synergy with Registeel to take on Fire-, Ground-, and Fighting-types. Spinblockers, such as Sabyele Sableye and Cofagrigus, are good partners because they keep Stealth Rock on the opponent's side while covering Registeel's Fighting weakness (add semicolon) and the latter also has access to Will-O-Wisp so Registeel can take physical hits better. Iron Head can be used in place of one of Registeel's attacking moves for a paraflinch strategy, but this is outclassed by Togekiss, which has Serene Grace. Finally, Ice Punch is an option to hit Ground- or and Flying-types such as Flygon or and Honchkrow for heavy damage.<p>

[Other Options]

<p>A mono-attacking set consisting of Curse, Rest, Sleep Talk, and Iron Head seems attractive but due to Registeel's weaknesses, any Fighting-, Ground-, and or Fire-type has no trouble taking it down, even after a boost. A Gravity set with Zap Cannon, Focus Blast, and Flash Cannon could be usable (add comma) but due to Registeel's low Special Attack and Speed (add comma) it remains is not very viable. A Rain Dance support set could be used, as Registeel's massive defenses allows it almost always allow it to set up a Rain Dance, all while negating its Fire weakness. Aerial Ace is possible an option if you're desperate to hit Heracross (add comma) but it does not serve any other purpose. Counter and Magic Coat are usable to surprise the opponent but generally Registeel prefers its other offensive (Magic Coat isn't an offensive moves; if this screws up your meaning however, feel free to make a different change here) moves.<p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Despite Registeel's sky-high defenses, it is still reasonably easy to check and counter. Any common Fire-, Ground-, or Fighting-types Fighting-type, such as Darmanitan, Mienshao, and Rhyperior, can demolish Registeel with their STABs its STAB moves. Trick users can cripple Registeel with a Choice item, rendering it useless throughout for the rest of the match. Sableye or and support Mew can Taunt Registeel, preventing Stealth Rock or a status move but must be wary for be wary of / look out for Toxic on the switch. Xatu walls Registeel without Shadow Claw, as it can easily Roost off the Seismic Toss damage and bounce back status or and Stealth Rock. Bulky sweepers with Rest, such as Snorlax, Suicune, and Scarfty, set up on Registeel easily as it does little damage to them and Rest rids them of any status. Ghost-types with Substitute, such as Mismagius, can set up on Registeel without Shadow Claw and proceed to attack or set up with Nasty Plot or Calm Mind.<p>

[Unreleased]

Clear Body is generally superior to Light Metal, as it allows Registeel not to get a nasty Defense drop from Shaymin's Seed Flare. Light Metal only helps in situations when Pokemon use Low Kick on it.

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Thanks melvni should of checked if Light Metal was released or not, my mistake but implemented GP check. This analysis is done!

tehy

Banned deucer.
So uh, I was reading the Unreleased section, and two things stood out: Why not Special Defense? I get that it's kind of like, Defense in general, but still. Oh, and why not say in the Rare situation that someone uses Low Kick on it? (And Grass Knot, I guess.) I assume it's rare and that would really help clear up why not to use Light Metal.

Nas

Banned deucer.
hmm somehow "Scarfty" made it past two GP checks...

koko edit: clearly he meant scarf scrafty....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)