1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Rejuvenating the RU Ladder

Discussion in 'BW RU' started by Texas Cloverleaf, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

Alt: TryingToHelp

Well, I don't play RU as much as I would like to, but if the ladder is suffering, I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: I suck. Why must I insist on using untested teams for stuff like this. Time to go with something I am familiar with.
  2. BLINGAS ♥

BLINGAS ♥

I'LL REJUVINATE YOU
    ALT : Penor McDickerson
  3. Deny

Deny

Alt: sandarPowah
  4. Fried Rhys

Fried Rhys

alt: scrub clubber
  5. ThatOneWeirdGuy

ThatOneWeirdGuy

alt: ThatOddlyCreepyGuy
  6. Buckles

Buckles

Alt: Ham Sandvich

This is such a good tier guys, c'mon
  7. -Tsunami-

-Tsunami- ¡YA HA!
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Smogon IRC AOPis a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Alt: OnceWeAllGetHigh
  8. Xelx

Xelx
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Alt: Sir Robert
  9. LUST

LUST
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winneris a SPL Winner

Alt: violent_nights
  10. BiGGiE

BiGGiE I can be your hero, baby
    is a Battle Server Moderator

Alt: BiGs

LESSGO
  11. DittoCrow

DittoCrow
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner
    Mentor

12. McPimpin

McPimpin

Alt: McPimpin

I'm much better at OU, Ubers and UU; but lets see what I can accomplish in a new metagame.
  13. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

Alt: Gully Rock
  14. Double01

Double01 Hate it or love it the under dog's on top

After taking a break from ru a while I decided to play it today for about half hour and it's still really fun and not losing a match in that half hour playtime. (though the ladder is painfully slow)

alt: imtest
  15. alexwolf

alexwolf Fear the D
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

alt: the_avenger
  16. MikeDecIsHere

MikeDecIsHere And the haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate.
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
    Mentor

Alt: RU Here Mike

Edit: I <3 Hax
  17. Texas Cloverleaf

Texas Cloverleaf meh
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Out of curiosity, how has everyone been doing so far? How has your laddering gone? What have you peaked at? Go on a winning streak and get haxed into a tilt?
  18. alexwolf

alexwolf Fear the D
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

I have been trying out a stall team that has been doing quite good 'till now! I have won 8 out of 10 games i think, but i am still working on my team as it is still quite new...

One think i have been experimenting with is max SpA / HP Modest Ice Beam, HP Ground, Recover, Rapid Spin Cryogonal. I am running HP Ground because Qwilfish is a real pain in the butt for my team, and Cryo can easily 2hko him with HP Ground or Ice Beam + HP Ground. Max SpA Modest Cryo also 3hkoes SubPunch Dusknoir after SR, and after 2 hits he will not have enough health to make a sub, 2hkoes Rotom, 1-2hkoes Golurk, 3hkoes defensive Cofa and 2hkos TR Cofa with SR and a bit of previous damage, and finally it also 2hkoes Spiritomb with SR + Spikes. I just hope that B2W2 will give Earth Power as a tutor move to Cryogonal, so that he can finally ohko that little shit called Qwilfish... Btw are a lot of people running support Qwilfish with more speed than 0 Cryo, or is it just my bad luck?
  19. lars

lars

Haven't been playing a ton (fuck finals) - which I have a feeling is to blame for the generally horrible RU forum and ladder activity, but I should be doing a lot more after Sunday (yay, last final is Saturday!)

I think I'm 1120ish (like only 15 battles lol - maybe won 12/15?) right now, but like I said, haven't been doing much.

Currently playing around with CM ChestoRest Cof and (gasp!) a non scarf primeape (still running expert belt to fake it though. Heh.)

after 15 battles, not liking CM ChestoRest Cof as much as I used to, but I'm actually really enjoying the Primeape.

@Alex, I haven't used Qwil in a while, I just ran it at 208 speed to beat opposing non-invested Qwilfish with Taunt. all other base 85s are pretty rare.

@Texas, just an idea, but maybe add to the OP that people should try and post their experiences in the np: thread once a week (like Saturday or something), it might get more people to do it... or then again maybe not.
  20. complete legitimacy

complete legitimacy Honko's Happy Funtime With Men
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

I've seen ridiculous amounts of Tangrowth, as well as Slowking. However, Slowking has always had high usage, so it's always something that you've had to prepare for extensively. However, Tangrowth has only become popular recently, so it's interesting to see how the metagame adapts to it. Tangrowth has always been good, it's just that now people are starting to see it. With Slowking it forms the infamous Regenerator core that is starting to take over the tier. I swear, if VoltTurn is OU's thing, then the Regenerator core is RU's (TangKing or SlowGrowth, anyone?).

I've been using Magmortar to combat this, and it's probably the most anti-metagame Pokemon right now. It can switch into Tangrowth with ease because of Vital Spirit, something which Moltres lacks. Honestly, one of the toughest things about switching into Tangrowth is that it can remove a lot of its counters from the game with a simple Sleep Powder. I think that Expert Belt Magmortar is the best set, since it doesn't punish misprediction while easily bluffing a Choice item. It is better than Life Orb in my opinion because giving up Magmortar's good special bulk is less than ideal. Also, its weakness to Stealth Rock combined with Life Orb recoil hurts its longevity tremendously, and its ability to consistently switch in to Tangrowth is one of its best traits.

Another perk of using Magmortar is Thunderbolt. Modest Expert Belt Thunderbolt is a guaranteed 2HKO on 248/112+ Slowking after Stealth Rock, making what is usually your opponent's only Magmortar switch-in unable to stop it. Therefore, Magmortar is also an excellent lure for Slowking, allowing Moltres to sweep if Magmortar can't get the job done by itself. As shown by Manectric, Fire/Electric coverage is just really good in general in RU, but Magmortar has even more coverage options. Focus Blast is a great tool that 2HKOes Clefable and Lickilicky, making the list of Pokemon that can switch into it even shorter. Even Munchlax is taking 42% minimum from Focus Blast, and if its asleep is completely useless against Magmortar. HP Grass rounds out the coverage, OHKOing Sandslash after one layer of Spikes as well as Rhydon. Lanturn also takes around 45% from HP Grass, and its lack of reliable recovery means it can be easily worn down to the point where Magmortar can power through it.

Overall, people are going to start to have to find counters to the Slowking + Tangrowth Regenerator core, and Magmortar is a fine example. Magmortar should just be used more in general, and I expect it to move to RU in the next tier shifts.
  21. Draycos7

Draycos7

Alt: herpa de derp
    This is definitely one of my favorite tiers. I haven't really been playing that long but I like it. Reminds me of 4th gen UU.
  22. Yeah Galo Sengan

Yeah Galo Sengan

fast taunt qwilfish absolutely wrecks at the moment
  23. Draycos7

Draycos7

For the record, the regen combo should be called TanKing, since that's what it does. I feel Qwilfish is also cool, but a really underrated Pokemon right now is Choice Rotom-C, it's really good at taking down a lot of popular threats such as the aforementioned TanKing, as HP Ice is good at picking off Tangrowt which can't do much to hurt it provided Sleep Clause is active, and LS kills Slowking. I also am a fan of Steelix and his synergy with Slowking.
  24. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

complete legitimacy: I've been running a Magmortar Moltres core myself. LO Magmortar and Specs Moltres. Its mainly because of how awesome Specs Moltres is though but like you said Mag's Sleep immunity is super helpful!

I've also had a lot of fun with SD Lum Absol. It sets up so easily and is such a pain for both offensive and defensive teams, though Tangrowth is definitely a bother to him. Thats why the above Fire types are so lovely though!

I've been met with success recently though not on the alt I registered with this. I first used Texas' own RMT archive team then tried my hand at a volt-turn team which met with varied success. My most recent team though has lost maybe once in the last handful of games.
  25. spuds4ever

spuds4ever

Peaked #1 at 1387 points with Potato Tomato. RMT is up in the RMT section if you want to check the team out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)