Reliablemons

z0mOG

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 26 Championis a defending SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
DPL Champion
Flying type toxic sounds really cool, but alas, Steels are immune to poison (tested with a normalize Delcatty's toxic). Facade is a 40% stronger eq though.

Yup! Lots of mons get more coverage or better STAB moves, but you can also mix and match moves (like, Talonflame can have priority [flying] flare blitz over brave bird for the 10% to burn)

I'd personally put Volt Switch in the second option, as that almost guarantees the ability to keep momentum (unless water absorbing abilities of course). Part of what makes this meta great in my opinion is the utility of momentum moves. For example, Talonflame with [flying] U-turn now has +1 priority on it!

Flying + Flying is still Flying type, sorry :(

Stealth Rock will still do rock damage even if it's another type (since its still rocks being thrown out, despite the type). Psyshock and Secret Sword will definitely improve though.

My biggest worry was that this meta might turn into something like metagamiate with E-speed spam, but without a 30% damage boost, I feel it's better. Arcanine has to compete with Entei and already has a decent Fire option (Flare Blitz). Lucario's Extremesteel and Extremefight can be blocked effectively. Pikachu is really really frail, and Togekiss only has the equivalent of a base 100 attack if hustle and adamant 252. Zygarde and Dragonite will be able to make use of a faster dragon claw, but dragon is no longer the best offensive typing attack it was in gen 5.
I just had toxic second because it's the move I use most on it, lel.

Rock has consistent access to Special Rock moves, for those Pokemon that care. (eg Diancie can run Moon Blast and Psychic with one acting as its Rock move and the other its Fairy move)
*psyshock
also jirachi and toge get dual stab paraflinching(although only one has two flinching moves on one side of the spectrum)

EV

Banned deucer.
Yup! Lots of mons get more coverage or better STAB moves, but you can also mix and match moves (like, Talonflame can have priority [flying] flare blitz over brave bird for the 10% to burn)
Priority Flying-type U-turn is actually pretty genius. U-turn and Volt Switch are really going to make a mark on this meta. Fighting from Mienshao, Fire from Darmanitan, and a lot of Flying. Volt Switch is great not only because you can swap it for a type without an immunity, but also because most dual-type Electrics that learn it don't have to rely on it as their main Electric STAB anymore. Thundurus can swap it for Flying, Magnezone can swap it for Steel, and the Rotoms will greatly enjoy having their secondary STABs hit with it if they want.

Momentum is going to keep the tide in the user's favor because I see a lot of switching until players figure out what attacks have been subbed.

*psyshock
also jirachi and toge get dual stab paraflinching(although only one has two flinching moves on one side of the spectrum)
Fairy Air Slash. *barfs*

Also something interesting to note. Megarde Shouldn't have hyper voice in the first two slots(the same applies to megapinsir and quick attack/return)

Fairy Air Slash. *barfs*
Fairy slash :^)

Also something interesting to note. Megarde Shouldn't have hyper voice in the first two slots(the same applies to megapinsir and quick attack/return)
Yup. Placement of moves is important, and it means a lot to megas or pokemon who can change type. Meloetta can choose to have moves become psychic/fighting, while Gyarados can choose for a move to be flying/dark, and Aggron can choose to have a move be rock/unchanged depending on the form.

On another note, the move synchronoise is...slightly less useless (but just barely) now! Hooray!

Fairy slash :^)

Yup. Placement of moves is important, and it means a lot to megas or pokemon who can change type. Meloetta can choose to have moves become psychic/fighting, while Gyarados can choose for a move to be flying/dark, and Aggron can choose to have a move be rock/unchanged depending on the form.

On another note, the move synchronoise is...slightly less useless (but just barely) now! Hooray!
especially on umbreon, garde, and sylveon

Flying + Flying is still Flying type, sorry :(
Actually, it would stack due to the multipliers not from the fighting type being a specific mechanic of the move, and not actually from a flying type. For example, freeze dry would always be SE on water, even if it was ground type, or any other type. It's a part of the move

*psyshock
It gets Psychic too. Though if you mean I'm forgetting Psyshock... naw, I just didn't feel like mentioning it.

especially on umbreon, garde, and sylveon (Synchronoise)
What no. Synchronoise will perform best on Dragon types, Ghost types, and dual-types where one of their types is vulnerable to the other.

.... unfortunately every Pokemon that gets Synchronoise fails to meet any of those conditions, and in fact a lot of them are pure types that resist themselves. The best abusers are the Flying ones, who can potentially hit super effectively on Flying/Grass, Hawlucha, and Flying/Bug. Next best is... the assorted pure Normal types. Hooray. (Why would Exploud us this over Boomburst?) Also potentially Gallade (it could use Fighting Synchronoise on Scrafty, Lucario, Terrakion...), except that its Special Attack is like half its Attack so no.

It also only just occurred to me that Tyrantrum benefits hugely from this meta. I suddenly love this meta.

So too for Mega Blastoise and Clawitzer: replace Water Pulse with Aura Sphere or Dragon Pulse!

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A few more sets that I found to be pretty neat:

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Return / Body Slam (Water-type)
- Body Slam / Return (Flying-type)
- Ice Fang
- Dragon Dance

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off (Ice-type)
- Ice Shard
- Superpower

Manectric @ Manectite
Ability: Lightningrod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat (Electric-type)
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power Ice

canno

formerly The Reptile
Time to put Zapdos on every team, because we have a huge threat here

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sludge Wave (Ground)
- Psychic (Flying)
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Calm Mind / Rock Polish / Knock Off / Stealth Rock

So this thing is a threat. Sludge Wave and Psychic can be switched depending on which STAB you want to be the strongest (5 BP difference though). It has amazing coverage with its new Sheer Force STABs and Focus Blast / Hidden Power Ice. Of course, HP Ice can be moved around for something else, depending on what you need. Of course, Lando-I isn' the only Lando with new toys.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Return (Ground)
- Knock Off / U-Turn (Flying)
- U-turn / Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Scarf Explosion is probably what's catching everyone's attention at the moment, but lets not ignore this beautiful pivot. Knock Off is now extra annoying with STAB, and gets along nicely with its Return - nice and powerful 2 more BP. Flying U-Turn is also an option - it's really all preference. Last slot is Stealth Rocks obviously. Other than that, it plays a lot like your average Pivot Lando-T - intimidating for bulk, knocking off and u-turning everywhere, ect. Still really neat. Oh, and then there's that Scarf Explosion, although idk what STAB - having a reliable flying STAB is nice and ground explosion can still use EQ, but no immunity explosion is just too good to pass up.

Hey I found a pretty cool gimmick
Chatot @ LO/Leftovers
Modest/Jolly Nature
Substitute
Boomburst
Chatter
HP Fighting

Also HP can be normal/fairy type now

"You don't deserve to see my face... weakling~ Kyu-B with physical Ice.
Kyurem-Black Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Admant Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Return
- Stone Edge?
- Hone Claws?
His stupidly terrible movepool still affects him, which is why the last 2 moves cannot be explained. Fusion Bolt= Stronger Dragon Claw, Return= PHYSICAL ICE.

Last edited:

"You don't deserve to see my face... weakling~ Kyu-B with physical Ice.
Kyurem-Black Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 HP
Admant Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Return
- Stone Edge?
- Hone Claws?
His stupidly terrible movepool still affects him, which is why the last 2 moves cannot be explained. Fusion Bolt= Stronger Dragon Claw, Return= PHYSICAL ICE.

fuck you all
You should probably run something closer to this:

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head / Roost
- Return
- Fusion Bolt
- Substitute

Its current Substitute set in OU allows it to rip apart stall while still dealing decent damage to offensive teams. Now, it might finally prove to be a little bit broken. An Ice-type STAB with 102 BP is nothing to scoff at, especially when backed by Fusion Bolt for coverage and a terrifying attack stat of 482. Iron Head gives it Dragon STAB with a flinch chance, but Roost can provide additional recovery against nonthreatening opposition. The EVs are geared to maximize attack, create four 101 HP subs, and outspeed as much as possible.

canno

formerly The Reptile
nightsitter ninja'd me but yea, there's NO reason to make Fusion Bolt your Dragon STAB when it's your best coverage move, especially with physical Ice STAB. An idea I had was a scarf set. Something like this

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Facade / Iron Head
- Return / Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage / Dragon Claw

The main idea is to have Facade as one of your Dragon STABs in case you get burned or even poisoned. Honestly its fine if it's a bit weaker than Dragon Claw since Return is going to be your main STAB that you spam. Fusion Bolt is great coverage. Last slot I put Outrage because it is your strongest STAB outside of statuses Facade. However, Dragon Claw can be put in that place if you don't feel comfortable relying on a 70 BP move as your Dragon STAB. Again though, Return is going to be what you're probably going to use the most. Iron Head is an option if you feel like being a dick and flinching people, and 80 BP isn't too shabby. Return and Facade are probably better options though.

nightsitter ninja'd me but yea, there's NO reason to make Fusion Bolt your Dragon STAB when it's your best coverage move, especially with physical Ice STAB. An idea I had was a scarf set. Something like this

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Facade / Iron Head
- Return / Iron Head
- Fusion Bolt
- Outrage / Dragon Claw

The main idea is to have Facade as one of your Dragon STABs in case you get burned or even poisoned. Honestly its fine if it's a bit weaker than Dragon Claw since Return is going to be your main STAB that you spam. Fusion Bolt is great coverage. Last slot I put Outrage because it is your strongest STAB outside of statuses Facade. However, Dragon Claw can be put in that place if you don't feel comfortable relying on a 70 BP move as your Dragon STAB. Again though, Return is going to be what you're probably going to use the most. Iron Head is an option if you feel like being a dick and flinching people, and 80 BP isn't too shabby. Return and Facade are probably better options though.
Good call on the Facade and thanks for calling me a dick

EV

Banned deucer.
Some interesting move ideas:
  • Pursuit - Need to trap something other than Ghosts or Psychics? Pursuit can now be any type except Fairy.
  • Sucker Punch - STAB 80 BP priority in any type will make attackers weak to your type(s) think twice now before attacking. More Subs maybe?
  • Dragon Tail and Circle Throw - The former can be anything but Bug, Fairy, and Ghost and the latter can be Water, Dark, or Normal now.
  • Double-edge - Screw Return. You want real power? Use this. Yeah, the recoil sucks, but anything with Rock Head should be running it no matter what. Physical Regenerators (so basically Tangrowth on some sets), Reckless, even Magic Guard Clefable can get away with it for strong, reliable STAB.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Boomburst [Flying]
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
He's back! Why do so many metas give noivern flying type boomburst jesus. This isn't as bad as aerilate, but it's still crazy strong. It doesn't miss and it hits hard, this is pretty simple. The other moves are somewhat filler. Infiltrator and Boomburst is redundant iirc, but it could be used for the other moves I guess.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 204 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Facade [Ground]
- Knock Off [Flying]
- Swords Dance
- Roost
I only played about half a dozen metagamiate battles because it's stupid, but this guy was the star of the team I was using. The idea is basically the same here, but with Flying Knock Off as well. Swords Dance and Roost are sort of there randomly, but I guess they should work. Facade and Knock Off can be switched but I think you want the ground STAB to stay strong.

This is a cool idea. If I were running it, I wouldn't be afraid to ban some stuff (such as ExtremeSpeed) to make the metagame more playable.

How does this work with mega evolutions that change type? For example, could I have a Mega Gyarados with Dark STAB double edge?

Last edited:
Infiltrator and Boomburst is redundant iirc, but it could be used for the other moves I guess.
Infiltrator bypasses screens as well, sound moves don't.

Dragon-typed Boomburst could also be interesting, since fewer things resist it (Albeit Fairy is straight-up immune) and most people are liable to assume you're running Flying Boomburst. Flying Draco Meteor is flatly inferior but a good thing to spring on Fairies.

Cobalion and Virizion might be able to run actual special moves that don't suck in this meta, actually.

How does this work with mega evolutions that change type? For example, could I have a Mega Gyarados with Dark STAB double edge?
If you don't mega evolve and use double edge in the second slot, it's flying type. If you mega evolve and then use it (since mega evolve has higher priority than attacking), it'll be dark type. The move will be the type of the form that you are in at the time of usage (so stuff like Castform and Meloetta can have interesting mechanics).

Interesting thing to note: Meloetta's secondary move is Psychic type in its Aria forme and Fighting in its Pirouette forme. Since one is a special attacker and one is a physical attacker I can't think of a way to exploit this yet, but it's interesting nonetheless. Castform shares this distinction as well, but Castform is crap, so whatever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)