1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Relicanth's Revenge

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Slayr231, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Slayr231

Slayr231

I wanted to try my hand at team building, so I decided to make a new NU team. Inspired after a conversation, I decided to base this team around Relicanth. It's an underrated threat that I feel deserves to have a more sinister reputation. I saw it mainly being used as a stealth rocks user, so I decided to turn it into a sweeper. After a few tweaks, here's what I came up with.

Relicanth @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Rock Head
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature
    - Head Smash
    - Aqua Tail
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Polish

The star of my team. Rock Polish allows me to work with Relicanth's lackluster speed and it actually ends up outspeeding almost everything with just one boost. I do find that Relicanth struggles to sweep if it can't use Head Smash. Thanks to the great coverage I get from its movepool, I decided to go with an expert belt to take advantage of that. I almost always get the surprise factor, so that's a plus. I was skeptical at first of how it would fare, but it has proven that it can hold its own and has been the downfall for several teams.

Metang @ Eviolite
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Toxic
    - Earthquake
    - Meteor Mash

Metang is here to set up rocks and stop those pesky grass types. It has proven useful with that defense and toxic. It's my main lead, and is very good at getting those rocks on the field. However, people see Metang and automatically assume it's coming out first, so that doesn't help its stayability.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Silk Scarf
    Trait: Scrappy
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
    Adamant Nature
    - Fake Out
    - Return
    - Sucker Punch
    - Earthquake

No team, in my opinion, is quite complete without a little priority, and what pokemon better than Kangaskhan. A lot of people forget that it has Scrappy, so I'm able to KO a lot of ghosts. I can also switch into almost any attack that's not super-effective, and change the tide of the battle. Durable, and is great at attacking, you can't ask for much more.

Musharna @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Moonlight
    - Signal Beam
    - Psychic

Musharna is here to make sure that fighting types don't pose a problem. Relicanth doesn't like Sawk too much, but Musharna can take that beating, and give it back. Signal beam is there so that dark types don't get behind a substitute and attempt to set up, especially Liepard. Musharna doesn't carry signal beam very often, so it's a nice surprise when I do use it.

Raichu @ Life Orb
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Encore
    - Nasty Plot
    - Thunderbolt
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Raichu is here to deal with physical walls such as Tangela, Musharna, and Alomomola, as well as electric types. If I can encore the opponent into a status move, or better yet, an electric move, Raichu can set up, and possibly sweep. What it does lack in durability, it does make up for in speed and ability.

Sawk @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Punch
    - Stone Edge

Sawk is here for additional coverage and also acts as my backup sweeper. If Relicanth meets an early grave, Sawk is still here to keep the offensive pressure and score me the win. Once again, choice band making up for the lack of speed, Sawk is almost always able to outspeed, and KO the opponent's pokemon. There's a reason this pokemon finds itself on several teams, and it should be no surprise why it makes mine.

So there's my team in a nutshell. My record so far is 15-3, so I know that Relicanth can work as a sweeper. I do find that I struggle against several earthquake users. I can handle a couple, but after a while, my team really starts to struggle. I'm open for any and all changes, except for replacing Relicanth. Please have all critique aiming at Relicanth be about its sweeping potential. Thank you.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  2. noobcubed

noobcubed

I would have thought Relicanth's sweeping potential would be better served by Swift Swim and rain support personally. I guess it's less of a surprise in that case though, and it still loses to most Scarfers.
  3. Slayr231

Slayr231

It benefits a lot more (in my opinion) from rock head, as it means that it won't lose health over time. Relicanth still has a very high defense, so it needs all the health it can get if it's going to get through a couple of hits.
  4. noobcubed

noobcubed

I guess if you wanted to give it Swift Swim support you'd just use Carracosta. The ability to hit like a truck right off the bat with Head Smash is what gives Relicanth its niche. Also, rain would mess up Musharna.

I guess my main issue is that Relicanth is too slow to ever sweep, even with a Scarf. Does it learn Rock Polish? That could help.

That said, you could use Carracosta :)
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  5. Slayr231

Slayr231

Like I said in the original post, I'm not up for switching Relicanth. I know it's not the best at what it does, but I want to prove that it is still very viable. That being said, I looked up to see if Relicanth can learn Rock Polish, and it can. I replaced Double Edge with Rock Polish and the choice scarf for an expert belt, and it worked out much better. Relicanth now has the potential to outspeed threats like choice band jolly Sawk, and Electrode. Often resulting in a OHKO.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)