Remoraid (QC 1/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########
  • Excellent STAB moves and a very deep coverage movepool
  • Workable offenses and Speed
  • Excellent capabilities with Choice items
  • Can function as both a special and physical attacker, as well as working with a mixed set
  • Poor defenses make it very easy to eliminate
  • No way to counter speedier opponents (outside of Choice Scarf), which, though few and far between, hurt Remoraid significantly
  • Clunky base stats ending in 5 waste some EVs

SET NAME
########
name: Mixed Scarf
move 1: Water Spout
move 2: Scald / Ice Beam
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Bullet Seed / Seed Bomb
ability: Sniper
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe
nature: Rash

Moves
========
  • Water Spout is the most effective Water-type attack in the game (when Remoraid is at full health) and should always be used for huge damage.
  • Seed Bomb and Bullet Seed both provide excellent coverage and good damage with Remoraid's base 65 Attack. Only use Seed Bomb for reliability on Chinchou and Staryu.
  • Scald is a reliable, threatening Water-type option, especially if Remoraid is weakened. Ice Beam is a very good coverage move and another option to hit Lileep and Flying-types. It is also a very powerful move.
  • Fire Blast hits for great coverage on Steel- and Grass-types, and has a high base power to boot.
Set Details
========
  • The EVs give Remoraid boosts to both offensive stats and Speed, allowing it to outspeed and OHKO or 2HKO the majority of non-defensive pokemon in the tier.
  • Sniper was nerfed this generation with the rest of critical-related attacks, but it still allows certain OHKOs that are impossible without it.
  • The Rash nature increases Special Attack even further than the EV spread, and it comes at no real cost to Remoraid, because it generally can't survive powerful special attacks anyway.
Usage Tips
========
  • Remoraid is best used as a Choice sweeper, due to its high offenses and good coverage.
  • Any team requiring a powerful and fast mixed attacker would do well to consider this variant of Remoraid, as it has all of those qualities.
  • Remoraid's team still needs to support it.
  • Powerful walls are necessary to tank hits meant for Remoraid, because it is excruciatingly frail and has little in the way of recovery.
Team Options
========
  • As stated, walls help Remoraid out by taking hits that would kill the Jet Pokemon.
  • A Baton Pass could help Remoraid if it boosted Remoraid's defenses to allow it to stay in through the first hit of a 2HKO.
  • Remoraid's two weaknesses, Electric and Grass, are covered by Fire and Ground, so it is well-supported by these two types.
  • Wish allows Remoraid to hit hard with Water Spout after being damaged, so it can be very helpful. This is especially true late in battle.

SET NAME
########
name: Special Choice
move 1: Water Spout
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Scald / Ice Beam
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
ability: Sniper
item: Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
evs: 236 SpA/236 Spe
nature: Timid/Modest

Moves
========
  • Hydro Pump hits opponents for massive damage and is Remoraid's most effective and most powerful reliable STAB.
  • Fire Blast offers fantastic coverage and great power, as well as offering a good chance to burn.
  • Scald is a more reliable move than Hydro Pump, and has the great side-effect of a common burn.
  • Ice Beam is again a great coverage attack.
  • Hidden Power Grass, though it was nerfed this gen, still provides good coverage on many types, not least Water-types which block the entire set.

Set Details
========
  • This EV spread maximizes Remoraid's speed and offensive capability. Unfortunately, the complex Level 5 EV system forces the sacrifice of 36 EVs.
  • Sniper is used over Hustle because of the lack of physical attacks on this set, making it a liability rather than an asset.
  • The choice of item changes this set's purpose almost entirely. A Choice Scarf allows Remoraid to outspeed and cripple most of the unboosted metagame, and Choice Specs enable it to land the OHKO on almost everything that doesn't resist its attacks.
  • A Timid nature helps the pokemon to gain Speed, especially with Choice Specs, and Modest can be used for greater power, especially potent with the Choice Scarf.
Usage Tips
========
  • This all-out offensive set can be used to sweep and to finish most opponents.
  • It also functions well as a revenge killer.
  • Remoraid is a tough pokemon to use, because of its fragility. A bulkier pokemon could also be used, but very few can hit as hard as Remoraid.
  • Wish is as helpful to this set as it is to the other, because this set is even more reliant on Water Spout.
Team Options
========
  • A physical attacker like Murkrow complements this set very well, because it hits the special walls Remoraid despises easily.
  • Paralysis support helps Remoraid with Specs to outspeed and kill many pokemon that outspeed it naturally.
  • Any Baton Pass boosts to Special Attacks are appreciated by Remoraid, as they allow Hidden Power Ground and Surf to deal more damage, not to mention Hyper Beam.
  • An ally capable of Taunt helps Remoraid avoid being afflicted with status itself.
  • Sticky Web is an effective support move, especially for Choice Specs because Remoraid won't be outspeeding as many enemies as it does with Choice Scarf.

Other Options
########
  • Remoraid's good Speed allows it to work as a lead, but this makes Remoraid eschew some offensive power.
  • A Life Orb set could be used, as it allows Remoraid to attack without being Choice-locked.
  • Ice Beam is an option on either set, but it isn't nearly as effective in LC as it is in OU due to the paucity of Dragons.
  • Signal Beam is another coverage option with a confusion chance.
  • Thunder Wave is a good move to cripple enemies on a non-Choice set.
  • Scope Lens, coupled with a use of Focus Energy, gives Remoraid a 100% chance to land a critical hit. If it can survive at full HP for one turn, it can then launch a 2.25x Water Spout, which OHKOs most of the metagame. However, Hydro Pump shoul be used most of the time for greater reliability.
  • Hidden Power Fighting can be used in lieu of another move on the special set for coverage.
  • A purely physical Band/Scarf set can also work, but eliminates Remoraid's usage of its best move: Water Spout.
Checks & Counters
########

**Other Scarfers**: Other pokemon with Choice Scarf can outspeed and kill Remoraid before it gets a chance to land Water Spout. They also disrupt the Choice items.

**Status**: Remoraid finds itself utterly helpless after being paralyzed, as many attackers outspeed and OHKO it.

**Substitute**: If a slower pokemon can survive one of Remoraid's attacks and get up a substitute, it can survive whatever Remoraid throws at it next and kill it. Due to Remoraid's terrible 35/35/35 defenses, not much will fail to 2HKO it.

**Faster Pokemon**: Without a Choice Scarf, Remoraid has an outspeedable 65 base Speed, and due to its awful defenses will usually take quite a bit of damage.

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
  • Make Ice Beam the definitive move in the third slot of the Mixed Scarf set (remove Waterfall and Gunk Shot); it provides much greater coverage. Also remove Hustle from the slash; the main attack is Water Spout (not physical) and since Remoraid is too frail to afford any misses, it can often prove to be detrimental in battle. Seed Bomb is the only physical move needed and is only useful there because the set is walled by other Water-types otherwise. Fire Blast and Seed Bomb are fine, but I'd list them in order as: Water Spout, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Seed Bomb.
  • Replace Water Spout with Hydro Pump in the Special Choice set; you need to be able to dish out decent damage with your STAB even after having taken damage from hazards or priority, especially if Specs is being used. Remove Flamethrower from the slash with Fire Blast; Fire Blast is all that's needed. Make Scald / Ice Beam the moves in the third slot. Surf doesn't do much as a secondary Water STAB and doesn't have a secondary effect to compensate, whereas Scald at least has the chance to Burn. Ice Beam's awesome coverage goes without saying, and Hyper Beam should not be used on this set at all (Remove Surf and Hyper Beam, replace them with Scald and Ice Beam).
  • Replace Hidden Power Ground with Hidden Power Grass in the Special Choice set; you need to be able to get a super effective hit on the Water-types that otherwise wall the entire set, and is especially useful against the Rock/Water Shell Smashers Omanyte, Binacle, and Tirtouga.
  • Add users of Sticky Web to Team Options. Remoraid works a lot better with Sticky Web support if it isn't Scarfed, especially because of its frailty and lack of Eviolite in the given sets.
  • It doesn't need its own set because it's kind of gimmicky, but the new critical hit mechanics this generation give a 100% critical hit rate to all moves after Focus Energy if Scope Lens is the held item (this is incredible with Sniper). Be sure to give this a mention in Other Options, as well as Thunder Wave for crippling enemies.
Important note: be sure to add SET NAME (don't put the name of the set there, that only goes underneath) above the ######## like so:

SET NAME
########
name:
move 1:
move 2:
move 3:
move 4:
ability:
item:
evs:
nature:

Remember this for future reference.

Edit: JEFLIV, I apologize for the confusion. The people who made the template made an error and it turns out that the actual name of the set DOES go both above and below the ######## line, the way you originally had it. The misinformation I got caused me to misinform you and others, and everyone needs to be aware of the appropriate way this is supposed to be done. ♥

QC 1/3 ♥

Last edited:
To be totally honest, the mixed Scarf set just looks really bad. I think we'll all agree that the main appeal of Remoraid is a really strong Water Spout with cool coverage moves, and sacrificing any power from that is just a bad idea. I tested Remoraid earlier, and I liked the following set the best.

Remoraid @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe
Rash Nature
- Water Spout
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Bullet Seed

You don't need Naive for this set because Remoraid hits 16 Speed with a Rash nature, so the extra power is way more appreciated because 24 outspeeds most of the same stuff that 26 does anyways. Water Spout is obvious. Fire Blast hits Grass-types, especially Tangela and Ferroseed, which can both take Water Spout. Ice Beam offers another coverage move that also hits Grass-types and also gives you a more reliable move to revenge kill stuff like Gligar after you've been weakened. Bullet Seed is totally just filler, but it's the best filler for Remoraid, especially for dealing with Tirtouga. +2 Speed Tirtouga only hits 22 Speed, so you still outspeed it after a Shell Smash. From there, 4 hits from Bullet Seed just straight up kills it through both Sturdy and Berry Juice. If Berry Juice has been consumed, 2 hits beats it. You also hit Water-types with Bullet Seed, but tbh you shouldn't really be bringing out Remoraid while the opponent has healthy Water-types anyways.

This set is the only one that I believe deserves to be in the analysis. Lots of other coverage moves can go in the fourth slot, but the ability to revenge kill +2 Tirtouga is so cool that I would just mention them in OO. Psychic can roast Croagunk, but because Fire Blast does that anyways without giving Pawniard a free switch, Psychic isn't that great. Signal Beam can help with Slowpoke but not much else. Gunk Shot lets it beat Swirlix before Unburden, but lots of things can already beat Swirlix before Unburden anyways so that's not really that valuable. And then Hydro Pump/Surf are other STABs you can use as filler, but because Remoraid is primarily a late-game cleaner with strong Water Spouts anyways, I don't think they're all that necessary.

Both of your ideas have been implemented. (Treecko, I modified the Mixed Scarf to be more like your set).

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Treecko's recommended Mixed Scarf set is actually better than the one you had, as the lack of Speed does make little difference in this particular scenario. However, the chance of getting the amount of Bullet Seed hits needed (4 or 5) to kill Tirtouga pre-Shell Smash is only 33.4%, so that isn't too reliable. It's good that you added the slash as far as I'm concerned. You should change the order of moves to Water Spout, Ice Beam, Fire Blast, Seed Bomb / Bullet Seed, though.

Water Spout will never be run on the Focus Energy + Scope Lens set, because Hydro Pump literally kills everything that doesn't resist it anyway and Remoraid doesn't have the moves (Focus Energy, STAB move, Fire Blast, Seed Bomb / Charge Beam) to run a second water move when Water Spout is weakened.

Water Spout will never be run on the Focus Energy + Scope Lens set, because Hydro Pump literally kills everything that doesn't resist it anyway and Remoraid doesn't have the moves (Focus Energy, STAB move, Fire Blast, Seed Bomb / Charge Beam) to run a second water move when Water Spout is weakened.
Will edit accordingly

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, but these 2 sets are basically the same, I really don't think they should both be there. What are the advantages of HP Grass over Bullet Seed? If you get a total of 6 hits over 2 turns, Bullet Seed has a chance to 2HKO Slowpoke after Stealth Rock, HP Grass cannot do this. HP Grass also can't get past Tirtouga which is kind of important in my opinion. Also Goddess Briyella, I know you said bullet seed has a small chance of getting past Tirtouga with Berry Juice, but Scarf Remoraid can revenge kill with Bullet Seed after Juice has gone.
In my opinion Bullet Seed should be the only slash. Due to the weird damage rolls in LC, against a Slowpoke, 2 Bullet Seed hits do the same as 1 Seed Bomb hit. I calced with Staryu and Chinchou as well and although Bullet Seed does less if it gets 2 hits, it just has a much higher chance overall to hit them harder.

What does Ice Beam hit? I presume Water Spout OHKOs Gligar and Fire Blast hits steels, so Ice beam is only useful for Lileep, which is kind of rare right now. I'd slash Hydro Pump with Ice Beam for when your health gets low. The scarf set should be like this imo:
Water Spout
Fire Blast
Hydro Pump / Ice Beam
Bullet Seed / (maybe slash seed bomb just because of reliability on Chinchou/Staryu)

also remove the 76 Atk EVs, i ran loads of calcs and they made no difference to anything, just put them in SpAtk.

Are there any massively significant things that Choice Specs can guarantee KOs on, that a Life Orb couldn't, I don't really see the point in Specs, if not, i'd just give it a life orb so it doesn't need to predict against loads of slower walls like ferroseed. LO faces competition from staryu due to speed but mention that remoraid has more coverage.

so yeah, I'd make set 1, just a scarf set, then have set 2 as a Life Orb set with Hydro/Fire blast/ice beam/bullet seed

------

Checks and counters should be increased. So many things can take advantage of a choice locked remoraid, all water types (slowpoke, staryu, chinchou) and also grass types (ferroseed and lileep in particular).
I wouldn't say Substitute is exactly a counter to anything...
Add bulky special walls like Munchlax and maybe Porygon/Lickitung (haven't ran calcs but munchlax will certainly not take much, the latter 2 may fear water spout)

In the Moves section of your analysis, you just seem to say things like 'Ice Beam is a very good coverage move and gives great coverage for Remoraid' - actually specify what sort of threats you are hitting with this.

Sorry, but these 2 sets are basically the same, I really don't think they should both be there. What are the advantages of HP Grass over Bullet Seed? If you get a total of 6 hits over 2 turns, Bullet Seed has a chance to 2HKO Slowpoke after Stealth Rock, HP Grass cannot do this. HP Grass also can't get past Tirtouga which is kind of important in my opinion. Also Goddess Briyella, I know you said bullet seed has a small chance of getting past Tirtouga with Berry Juice, but Scarf Remoraid can revenge kill with Bullet Seed after Juice has gone.
In my opinion Bullet Seed should be the only slash. Due to the weird damage rolls in LC, against a Slowpoke, 2 Bullet Seed hits do the same as 1 Seed Bomb hit. I calced with Staryu and Chinchou as well and although Bullet Seed does less if it gets 2 hits, it just has a much higher chance overall to hit them harder.

What does Ice Beam hit? I presume Water Spout OHKOs Gligar and Fire Blast hits steels, so Ice beam is only useful for Lileep, which is kind of rare right now. I'd slash Hydro Pump with Ice Beam for when your health gets low. The scarf set should be like this imo:
Water Spout
Fire Blast
Hydro Pump / Ice Beam
Bullet Seed / (maybe slash seed bomb just because of reliability on Chinchou/Staryu)

also remove the 76 Atk EVs, i ran loads of calcs and they made no difference to anything, just put them in SpAtk.

Are there any massively significant things that Choice Specs can guarantee KOs on, that a Life Orb couldn't, I don't really see the point in Specs, if not, i'd just give it a life orb so it doesn't need to predict against loads of slower walls like ferroseed. LO faces competition from staryu due to speed but mention that remoraid has more coverage.

so yeah, I'd make set 1, just a scarf set, then have set 2 as a Life Orb set with Hydro/Fire blast/ice beam/bullet seed

------

Checks and counters should be increased. So many things can take advantage of a choice locked remoraid, all water types (slowpoke, staryu, chinchou) and also grass types (ferroseed and lileep in particular).
I wouldn't say Substitute is exactly a counter to anything...
Add bulky special walls like Munchlax and maybe Porygon/Lickitung (haven't ran calcs but munchlax will certainly not take much, the latter 2 may fear water spout)

In the Moves section of your analysis, you just seem to say things like 'Ice Beam is a very good coverage move and gives great coverage for Remoraid' - actually specify what sort of threats you are hitting with this.
Fair enough. I will keep Specs as the first slash on the second set. Remoraid has trouble with Life Orb in my tests, that's why it wasn't a set initially.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Fair enough. I will keep Specs as the first slash on the second set. Remoraid has trouble with Life Orb in my tests, that's why it wasn't a set initially.
Well you've tested it and I haven't so fair enough. But I don't get why Specs is better than Life Orb? Are there any notable KOs it can get?

Well you've tested it and I haven't so fair enough. But I don't get why Specs is better than Life Orb? Are there any notable KOs it can get?
Yes, it takes out a lot of stuff, with HP Grass and Water Spout, that it otherwise wouldn't. It can 2HKO the metagame on Specs, with proper support.

Rowan

The professor?
Yes, it takes out a lot of stuff, with HP Grass and Water Spout, that it otherwise wouldn't. It can 2HKO the metagame on Specs, with proper support.
You don't have Water Spout in the specs set. This is why I was confused.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Water Spout is probably the largest reason to use Remoraid if you're going to use it at all, and it defeats its own purpose if used in tandem with Life Orb, as its full HP will be broken. Loads of more viable things get Surf/Scald/Hydro Pump to use with Life Orb, and without Water Spout, Remoraid's value greatly drops.

Also Goddess Briyella, I know you said bullet seed has a small chance of getting past Tirtouga with Berry Juice, but Scarf Remoraid can revenge kill with Bullet Seed after Juice has gone.
I don't know why it matters that Bullet Seed has a chance to KO after Berry Juice is gone, because Remoraid has no means of removing Berry Juice itself except by damaging Tirtouga into the range where it will have its health and Sturdy restored, while Tirtouga will have boosted and become easily able to beat Remoraid while taking the hit. The only way to get around this without the high risk of death is to have Stealth Rock down. HP Grass cleanly OHKOs without activating Berry Juice after Stealth Rock, while Bullet Seed activates Berry Juice and heals Tirtouga during its multi-hit process (in the middle of the attack), and there is no guarantee of a kill, since the amount of hits is random, and if Remoraid gets hit almost at all, it's going down.

240+ SpA Remoraid Hidden Power Grass vs. 0 HP / 116 SpD Tirtouga: 24-32 (114.2 - 152.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is without even factoring Life Orb, Choice Specs, or defensive drops caused by Shell Smash. There is no Eviolite to soften the blow, and Berry Juice is completely overridden. The Support set Tirtouga runs has Solid Rock but is a completely different story, and is smacked hard by a neutral Water Spout/Hydro Pump while its lack of Shell Smash makes it a lot less threatening.

Bullet Seed has a higher chance of hitting Chinchou harder, but Remoraid loses to Chinchou 100% of the time anyway, unless there's some extreme luck-based/situational circumstance where you have Choice Scarf and you use Bullet Seed as non-Berry Juice Chinchou comes in, and manage to get lucky with the amount of Bullet Seed hits you get.

What does Ice Beam hit?
This is not specifically for Lileep. There are other mons that get hit by this harder than Hydro Pump and Fire Blast, including Murkrow, Tyrunt, Vullaby, Goomy, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)