ORAS OU Represent

Represent

Hey, guys. Some of you may have heard of me, but my name is Baxstenias and I'm an ORAS OU main. I’ve been playing competitive mons since late 2013 but I never really got a lot better at this game until fall of last year. Before then, I was just some guy on the OU ladder who struggled to break the 1400s. But, because of some friends and poketubers such as aim and blunder, I was able to get a lot better at the game. Getting to round 6 of OST, beating some known players (doesn’t make me better than them), and being able to get a higher ladder ranking with much more ease are just some of the things I've done until now. The team that I am about to present is my favorite team to use at the moment, not only due to how I’m comfortable using it anytime, but along with the fact that the style and build this team embodies fits the elements I look for and enjoy when using a team: a nice fire-water-grass core that has some form of offensive and bulky presence, two breakers, a form of speed control, and a ground type (to prevent volturn spam). I built this team during OLT (around cycle 4), yet it’s still my favorite and go-to team.

Bear with me and my short explanations. OLT week four was some time ago, and my mind is just filled with a ton of stuff related to uni at the moment.

I initially just felt like building a team around boltbeam megagross, as it was a set that I never tried out, along with not having built a megagross team in a while.

I then added Manaphy due to it helping break fatter teams and allowing megagross having an easier time cleaning. They also synergize well, as mana can take on some of the threats that Metagross has a harder time dealing with, such as suicune, slowbro, and mew. These two mons work well together in breaking teams and potentially just cleaning.

I like having a FWG core, as it’s a nice solid defensive backbone while providing some offensive presence when needed. I went with Heatran and Tangrowth, as tran helped against the mzor issue presented with the first two mons, while Tangrowth is a nice switch in for stuff like mlop and exca

The team at the moment was weak to volturn teams, due to no electric resist, and didn’t have any speed control. Scard Lando fit the bill, as it fit what I needed. It also helps provide momentum through u-turn and the stab eq is neat

Lastly, a glue mon and a win con was needed. Clef was the answer I came upon, as it helped with my poor weavile match up and just patched some holes in the team. Also serves as a second M-Sab answer

Team Breakdown

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch

The main mon I wanted to build around for this team. With the boltbeam set gaining some more usage, I wanted to try it out for myself and see how it worked. Meteor mash for the steel stab, alongside getting potential attack boosts. Hammer arm to nail mons such as ferro and tran (hammer arm also lets metagross beat skarm 1v1, as Metagross will eventually get slow enough where it will move after skarm does, allowing hammer arm to hit after skarm roosts). The boltbeam set covers a lot of options that can switch into Metagross: Ice punch takes care of mons such as lando and tank chomp, while thunder punch can deal a fair amount to bulky waters such as slowbro and suicune. Spread is pretty standard: max attack to maximize the damage output and max speed to outspeed threats and speed-tying with other base 110s. Metagross should generally be used to either punch heavy holes into your opponent's team, or clean up the damage that the rest of the team has caused.

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

The first mon in the FWG core: standard Tail Glow + three attacks Manaphy. Tail glow is in the moveset since that's the only move that pretty much makes Manaphy such a threat. Scald for a stab move along with a 30% chance to burn. Energy ball to take on bulky waters, and ice beam to take on bulky grass types. Energy ball is pretty important because it helps to weaken Rotm-Wash a lot, boltbeam Metagross' counter, while ice beam can take out mons such as tank chomp and defensive lando, so that Metagross doesn't have to take damage from rocky helmet. The ev spread allows Manaphy to have just enough speed to be faster than adamant Mega Pinsir, as bird spam was prevalent throughout the OLT ladder. The rest went into special attack and hp.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earth Power
- Taunt

The second part of the FWG core. Instead of the standard rocks set, I went for a bulky stallbreaker with a niche move: Will-O-Wisp. After constructing my team, I noticed a huge weakness to Bisharp and that my way of dealing with it was winning 50/50s with Heatran and Manaphy. With this in mind, I tried out wisp on tran, as it's not very common and can catch people off guard. This definitely alleviated my issue with bisharp and also helps in some other scenarios, such as when people switch ttar or chomp into tran. Laval plume is the fire STAB and can pressure pokemon with potential burns. Taunt helps break stall a bit better and allows tran to serve as my second clef check. Earth power is for opposing trans and serves as a nice coverage move. The ev spread makes tran max speed so it can outspeed threats such as Mega Scizor and and Bisharp. 248 hp evs allow tran to switch into rocks more times and take more hits. The rest went into special attack.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb/Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

The final part of the FWG core: AV Tangrowth. I initially opted for a phys def set, but with my only lati switch in being clef and nothing switching into Mega Alakazam, I decided to try out the AV set and see how it fared. AV helped patch up that weakness and made my team more solid through that. Knock off is for the Lati twins so that growth can actually do something to them after switching in. It can also lure Chansey into staying in, after knock on lando has been revealed. I went with sludge bomb so that I can hit fairy types such as Mega Gard for some damage and take on phys def growth, as Manaphy isn't a growth switch in and Heatran can get put to sleep through sleep powder. Giga drain for mandatory stab along with allowing it to gain some hp back, increasing its longevity. I went with hp fire for the last move, as it hits Ferrothorn and Excadrill. Earthquake is an option over sludge bomb, as this helps get damage on opposing Heatran, letting Metagross have an easier time attacking (hammer arm doesn't OHKO trans, so some damage on trans is always appreciated). The ev spread is the standard AV spread, with 248 hp so that I can switch into hazards a bit more and a sassy nature since growth isn't that fast anyways and it's a mixed attacker.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

The team's revenge killer, cleaner, and electric immunity. Lando is such a great mon, as exemplified through all the sets that it can run. The scarf set helps out my team because it provides some well needed speed control to take on big threats to the team, such as Gengar, Zard Y, and Mega Alakazam. Earthquake for mandatory STAB, which is nice once the opposing team's ground resists are gone. Stone edge to hit the mons that eq can't hit, as well as dealing with bird spam. U-turn is there to help my scout a bit and gain momentum. Knock is there to round out the coverage and deal some damage to opposing teams not only due to its damage output, but by also being able to knock off items. The ev spread allows lando to be slower than other scarf landos but also outspeed scarf drills by just one point. 252 evs in attack for maximum damage output, and the rest into hp for a bit more bulk.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

The last mon to round out the team and patch up some weaknesses. Clef serves as the glue of the team by not only being able to switch into a lot of the meta, but by also providing a win-condition if games drag out or once I got rid of the opposing side's clef answers. This set is a bit uncommon as it is a rocks set while serving as a calm mind win-con. Without rocks on tran and lando being scarf, I needed a rocker for my team. Clef worked as a rocker because it's not as expected to be the team's rocker, especially with tran on the team, but can also set up rocks on Mega Sableye, as clef forces it to switch out, raising my match up against stall a bit. The rest of the moves are pretty standard. The ev spread is also standard, but I went for a bold nature on clef, as it helps take on Mega Lop Weavile better. Bold ensures that clef does not get 2HKO'd by life orb Weavile, while it also has a lower chance of getting 2HKO'd by the choice band set. Still susceptible to icicle crash flinches lol.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-432004042 vs Stall

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-432012436 vs Analytic (Wisp Tran helping out a ton)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-432635441 vs Career Ended (Got a bit lucky)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-432651247 Fun battle that took some time, but I got to play this pretty safe

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-433652222 vs ABR’s Weavile stall

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-440385764 vs 5th for WLT Cycle 0 Week 1

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-194317 vs Isza for WLT Cycle 0 Week 2 (If anybody is curious about the last turn play, pm me :])

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-453379715 vs Pohjis for WLT Cycle 0 Week 4

Threat List
Especially the lum variants, it can potentially 6-0 my team. Yeah, wisp is there to help stop it, but if it gets up a SD with lum you have to play 50/50s with mana and tran.

I have no safe switch ins. If you see gar in team preview, lead with lando so that you can force it to switch out or get a kill with knock. If gengar comes in sometime throughout the game, your options are to either sack a mon and bring in Lando, or bait the sludge wave with clef then switch to lando.

+
My only way of checking bird spam is lando, and it’s going to get worn down quickly with all the powerful priority moves. When facing birdspam, try to mega-evo metagross as soon as possible so you have another mon that outspeeds pinsir. Even if you have to take an explosion from azelf to do this, it’s better than mega evolving it too late. Mana is ev’d to outspeed adamant pinsir, so I guess that’s alright. Try to keep lando, mana, tran, and megagross healthy in this match up.

+
If tran gets trapped, the team’s only hope of beating mzor is scald burns from Manaphy.

Clef can’t get flinched lol. Other than clef, I don’t have a switch in. The cb set is easier to deal with than the lo one, as Weavile can get locked into a move allowing more freedom in switching.

Switch ins don’t exist lol. Best way to beat it is to preserve lando and mega evo Metagross as soon as possible. Or just get enough calm minds with clef lol.

Lando is my only way of revenge killing it. Priority T-Wave is a pain lol.

DD EQ Zard X just wins once it gets one dd up.

(Baton Pass) Try to lead with tran and hope Scolipede is the opposing lead so that you can taunt it as soon as possible.

Spike Stack: Without hazard removal, spikes can definitely wear down my team a lot.​

Other Options

over

Specs Keld helps a lot with the bisharp, mzor, ad weavile match up, which can help free up a slot on tran for some other move. Specs scald 2hkos quag and helps against zard y more, although it makes me a bit weaker to stall. If anybody could comment on this, that’d be well appreciated.

The team is pretty flexible in what you want to have a better match up against. For instance, you can run modest Mana and toxic over wisp on tran if you want to have an easier time against stall. HP Fire is an option over ice beam or energy ball on Mana if you want to have a better match up against Mega Zor. If you don’t like the dual knock off, explosion is an option over knock for lando, or some other coverage move over knock on Tang. You can try chople tran with stone edge for Zard Y. This team is pretty flexible in how you want to change it.​

Conclusion

I really enjoy using this team. As I stated before, this is my go-to team if I need to get a match done or just don’t know which team to use. While I did make this specific team by myself, I’m pretty sure someone out there made the exact same team that I did, along with numerous other teams out there that look really similar to this team. So, please don’t flame me for “stealing” someone’s team. If this rmt really offended you, just pm me about it o.o. As for my friends, this isn’t a quit post. Just wanted to share a successful team of mine before ORAS ends, along with me spending less time on mons due to my uni schedule. I feel a lot of comfort while using this team, and it’s just really easy for me to use it (I guess since it’s somewhat standard lol). One thing I guess I want to address in my conclusion is one regret I had while playing this game, and it’s just not really getting acknowledged by people. It kind of sucks to see people who haven’t accomplished anything in OU get more notice than me (for example, people getting into bof), whereas I did stuff like get to round 6 of OST yet nobody has really taken notice. I don’t really blame anybody for that though. I probably should have put myself out there more or something, I don’t know. I would have liked to get a higher ranking with this team, but unfortunately I didn’t really have time during olt to ladder as much as I would have liked to, and I just don’t have much time to spare at the moment either. You guys will just have to be satisfied with 1700s elo (and going 33-3) lol. After rmt’ing this team, I’ll probably just play in tours for fun or when I really need a break, so not as serious anymore lol. Thanks for giving this a read

Ladder Ranks

Shouts Outs
Day One People
Attribute My main guy. I can’t thank him enough for everything. From building, testing, discussing tours and the ORAS OU metagame, and even just talking about real life stuff, it’s been a long and great time. He’s always given so much support that I don’t know how to really repay that. Thanks for letting me into WoA too. While I’m not a monotype player, being with a group of players is a really nice thing to have. Props to him for also being one of the nicest users on this site. Wishing you the best in whatever you do and good luck with school

Broussard Another one of my main guys. It’s because of this guy that I was able to get so much better at this game. Before I met him, I was just some guy on the OU ladder who couldn’t clear the 1400s and 70 gxe. After he introduced me to pokeaim, I just got so much better. From being unable to break 1400s to getting to round 6 in OST 12 and being able to go 34-2, I give credit to this guy for starting me off. Thank you for helping me get better at this game, alongside testing for matches (especially BW OU) and picking up older gens with me :D. Also, use your smogon more D:
Mono People
6ti Glad I got to meet you, even though it honestly hasn’t been that long. Really nice guy and easy to get along with. Glad you’ve been joining tours on smogon too, alongside contributing heavily in mono. Tours will give you a ton of nice experience

Entei Thanks a ton for letting me into X and WoA. While I don’t really play mono, just having a community/group to chill with was really cool, and that’s thanks to you. Wishing you the best in the IDF

Sabella Eien Zarif Wyn Thanks a lot to you guys for being willing to talk to me after I got in WoA, although I wasn’t really part of it until recently. I didn’t really do much, but you guys were still chill with me and it was fun to talk. Good luck with anything you guys pursue :)​

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm
- Thunder Punch

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Will-O-Wisp
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock​

Last edited:
Hi. Nice team you have got.

First off, congratulations on doing well on the ladder with this team! It's cool that you gave a very comprehensive description of your team too.

Here are some of my suggestions:

Specs Keldeo > Manaphy

Yes, the suggestion you made. Specs Keldeo really benefits your team a lot more than Manaphy and you seem to know why it's so thus I shan't elaborate further. You mentioned that this change would make your team weaker to stall. However, the rest of your team already does extremely well against Stall. Heatran and Clef are big nuisances to Stall already and with both of them pressuring Stall I don't really see why you need to keep Mana just for that better matchup.

Pursuit > Hammer Arm
Your team really appreciates Pursuit support and even more now with the introduction of Keldeo. Hammer Arm isn't really needed as your other team members fare pretty well against the main targets of Hammer Arm already.

Rocks > WoW
Now that you don't need WoW, you can put Rocks in there instead, freeing up a moveslot on Clef. Heatran is about as amazing as Clef at setting Rocks up so you don't have to worry.

Calm > Bold; TWave / Knock Off > Rocks
Now that you have Keldeo, you don't really have a problem with Weavile anymore so you can run a Calm nature. You don't need Rocks anymore on this too so TWave can be added for obvious reasons. You might want to try Knock Off for Chansey too.

Here are the sets:
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave / Knock Off

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n

Reactions: Bax

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Hey bax sick team love it bc it resembles the team i made almost idetically. The team i made was the one thorn ended up qualling for olt with so it makes sense u had nice success with that. My only difference was specs lati over clef otherwise the steam was largely the same. I also chose pursuit on gross like the first person suggested. Gl bro =).

Reactions: Bax
Hi. Nice team you have got.

First off, congratulations on doing well on the ladder with this team! It's cool that you gave a very comprehensive description of your team too.

Here are some of my suggestions:

Specs Keldeo > Manaphy

Yes, the suggestion you made. Specs Keldeo really benefits your team a lot more than Manaphy and you seem to know why it's so thus I shan't elaborate further. You mentioned that this change would make your team weaker to stall. However, the rest of your team already does extremely well against Stall. Heatran and Clef are big nuisances to Stall already and with both of them pressuring Stall I don't really see why you need to keep Mana just for that better matchup.

Pursuit > Hammer Arm
Your team really appreciates Pursuit support and even more now with the introduction of Keldeo. Hammer Arm isn't really needed as your other team members fare pretty well against the main targets of Hammer Arm already.

Rocks > WoW
Now that you don't need WoW, you can put Rocks in there instead, freeing up a moveslot on Clef. Heatran is about as amazing as Clef at setting Rocks up so you don't have to worry.

Calm > Bold; TWave / Knock Off > Rocks
Now that you have Keldeo, you don't really have a problem with Weavile anymore so you can run a Calm nature. You don't need Rocks anymore on this too so TWave can be added for obvious reasons. You might want to try Knock Off for Chansey too.

Here are the sets:
Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Thunder Punch
- Pursuit
- Ice Punch

Heatran @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave / Knock Off

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n
Hey, thanks for the rate! Yeah, spex keld was something that crossed my mind a lot, but I just didn't have a lot of time to tinker with the team so I had to hope for some confirmation from other people lol. Changing Manaphy to Keld opens up a few more moveslots on the rest of my members, which you pointed out well. Instead of rocks on tran though, I was thinking replacing wisp with toxic so that a mon such as Mega Bro doesn't become an issue. Yeah, I know tran is an amazing rocker as well. It can also pressure Mega Sab out due to plume burns, but I chose Clef as my rocker initially for a bit of a surprise factor. As you mentioned, Pursuit Metagross helps the team out a lot, more so now with Keld in the team. It's probably going to be neat being able to trap stuff like Zard Y and Slowbro after getting some damage on them with T-punch. Once again, thanks a ton for the rate :D

Hey bax sick team love it bc it resembles the team i made almost idetically. The team i made was the one thorn ended up qualling for olt with so it makes sense u had nice success with that. My only difference was specs lati over clef otherwise the steam was largely the same. I also chose pursuit on gross like the first person suggested. Gl bro =).

Thanks for taking a read! Yeah, I noticed about two weeks after I made the team that my team looks a lot like other people's teams, especially your M-Zam BO and later the team that Thorn used (tfw late ORAS is actually the biggest factor in restricting team-building :[ ). Hopefully people don't think I stole your squads D: Jokes aside, pursuit sounds cool, as I said above. I'll definitely try it out after two people recommended it. Thanks again for giving this a read :]

Edit: Just realized that I posted this rmt exactly a year after I joined smogon o.o

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)