Research Group #5 - Lairon, Simipour, Fraxure

breh

強いだね
So I've been screwing around with underdog and unwittingly chose a RW mon as well.

Simipour is actually quite ok (at least, a bit more than other people are saying it is). The ability to hydro pump things and OHKO a larger portion of them is nice. If it gets +2 and your opponent's out of priority / scarfed mons, if hydro pump decides to hit, you're in the clear, pretty much. Granted, that opportunity isn't the most common, but it still does come up. Without a Nasty Plot, Simipour is still not bad.

TROP

BAN DRUDDIGON. FIREWALL DRAGON DID NOTHING WRONG
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Lairon is a pathetic pokemon that should never be used because it is outclassed at everything it can do.

Lairon @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
can't remember the EVs, 252atk/252 spe iirc
- Automize
- Roar
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
This is Outclassed by Relicanth. Not only Relicanth is as strong and bulkier(if not using eviolite for actual power), it is also faster(this is important for rock Polish sets), and has superior coverage that it will actually use(try to find something that resists water+rock+normal). Also, lol, is this supposed to be a joke?, because Roar on something that lacks power and is meant to be offensive is simply terrible. The only thing Lairon can beat that Relicanth can't before a speed boost is Cinccino, but even then, Cinccino would simply u-turn out to one of the many that can beat Lairon without even trying anyway.
Edit: Forgot something, Relicanth is also light as fuck if you are really worry about random Low Kick/Grass Knot.

Lairon really doesn't need to be trying Autotomize / Rock Polish sets; without Hone Claws boosts it doesn't hit quite as hard or as accurately as it needs to. The +2 to Speed only gets Adamant sets to 358, which I think is a poor trade for the ability to consistently hit with a boosted Head Smash.
Give me a legitimate reason for not using Armaldo for attack boosting rock-type . Armaldo hits way harder at +2 with Stone edge than Lairon with a +1 head smash, has superior special bulk to take waker hits and set up easier, and it is even slightly faster. And IB4 BUT LAIRON HAS ACTUAL RESISTS!, Klang is better for the setting up part because it will set up on the same things that Lairon will, except that it will be faster than almost everything, break subs, and while it is true that Klang doesn't have a 150 bp STAB move, it is way harder to revenge because its boosting move makes it faster than everything without a scarf. And just in case, if I wannted to use something to nuke the opponent on trick room, I would use Rampardos or Marowak instead because they don't need to waste their time setting up when they hit really damn hard already.

I saved this one for last
Lairon @ Eviolite
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Impish Nature
- Head Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Earthquake
I get roar is a cool move and all, but really, that is the only thing over the other good Stealth Rock users in the tier. Even Probopass(yes, you are reading this, Molk and Ebeast) is better because it has a sweet slow volt switch that is pretty helpful to get out of there, and if you really need it, some kind of recovery in Pain Split, allowing it to stay alive for longer.

TL;DR: Lairon is a piece of shit that should never be used and I'd use THE MIGHTY METANG over this piece of shit every single time.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Probopass is not better than Lairon, they just have different qualities and play differently. Probopass has a slow Volt Switch yes, which is always nice, but Lairon has Head Smash and can actually hurt things. Roar + Head Smash is enough to make up for Volt Switch imo. The choice between the two comes down to what your team needs out of your SR user.

Secondly Roar does actually have some utility in stopping (admitedly rare) phazers, since after Rock Polish it will outspeed any phazer, getting Roar in before it.

The only thing Lairon can beat that Relicanth can't before a speed boost is Cinccino, but even then, Cinccino would simply u-turn out to one of the many that can beat Lairon without even trying anyway.
Yeah being able to set up on the second most used Pokemon in the tier is such a terrible thing. I also forgot Cinccino can predict correctly and U-Turn 100% of the time.

I agree with you that Lairon is not a great Pokemon, but its certainly not outclassed in every single thing it does. It fills a similar niche to Probopass and Bastiodon, but manages to hit much harder while doing it.

tl;dr: stop spouting bullshit please

Totally Mad TropiOUs said:
Give me a legitimate reason for not using Armaldo for attack boosting rock-type . Armaldo hits way harder at +2 with Stone edge than Lairon with a +1 head smash, has superior special bulk to take waker hits and set up easier, and it is even slightly faster. And IB4 BUT LAIRON HAS ACTUAL RESISTS!, Klang is better for the setting up part because it will set up on the same things that Lairon will, except that it will be faster than almost everything, break subs, and while it is true that Klang doesn't have a 150 bp STAB move, it is way harder to revenge because its boosting move makes it faster than everything without a scarf. And just in case, if I wannted to use something to nuke the opponent on trick room, I would use Rampardos or Marowak instead because they don't need to waste their time setting up when they hit really damn hard already.
I think you're missing the point of Research Group. Nobody said that any of the current three Pokemon would be better than ones that are more common in the tier. We're simply supposed to find out what the best set for each Pokemon is, and see how effective it can be on the ladder. Virtually every RG Pokemon we've ever had has been outclassed in one way or another by something else in NU, and everyone knows that going into the challenge. Lairon is by no means as shitty as you're making it out to be, but I'm not going to say that it's that great either. Lairon is a part of the (about) 40% of NU Pokemon that are just simply mediocre. It can be fun to use, and it can definitely be successful in the few roles that it can play. The thing that brings it (and that other 40%) down is that it's just going to fail more often than Pokemon whose stats / movepools allow them to perform the same roles to a better effect.

This isn't a "bitch about these three Pokemon thread," it's Research Group.

PDC

street spirit fade out
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
using simipour
alt : spread the offense
rating : zero

gonna try NP set just because i'm not creative. it seems like a cool set with hazard support.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)