1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Research Week - Buneary, Lickitung, Snivy, and Venonat

Discussion in 'BW LC' started by Elevator Music, Aug 11, 2011.

1. blarajan

blarajan holla ladies #£14000 #bling #sparkle #bitchesonmydick
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Buneary and Mienfoo form a very effective Fake Out duo.
  2. bluemon

bluemon

i dont play little cup but i had a great idea. see if you little cup masters can improve this.
    this set is for likitung

defensive EV, item: red card
    moves:
    knock off
    thief
    dragon tail/filler
    explosion/filler

so this is how it works.

get likitung into a poke without getting hit.

turn one: likitung knocks off item
    opponent attacks, activates red card, switches to another poke

turn two: liktung either uses knock off again or steals item using theif

turn three either start shuffling wit dragon tail or explode.

u took away 2-3 items (prolly something important like eviolite) and u cripled a poke with STAB EXPLOSION_
  3. Chieliee

Chieliee

That set looks pretty good on paper, but I highly doubt it'll work in practice.
  4. Tomahawk

Tomahawk M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

Buneary is pretty much outclassed by Meowth and Aipom. Meowth and Aipom have Technician and are more powerful. The main thing Buneary has over them is Switcheroo, and Encore. The best would probably utilize both of them. The set that I would probably use, is:

[​IMG]
    Buneary @ Flame Orb | Klutz
    Jolly | 236 Atk / 36 Def / 236 Spe
    Fake Out / Switcheroo / Return / Encore
  5. blarajan

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

^ Aipom doesn't have Technician, meaning it is entirely outclassed by Buneary. And while Meowth HAS Technician and access to Bite, giving it a stronger Fake Out...Buneary has Switcheroo! You're completely undermining how important that actually is. Switcheroo/Trick are really good in LC due to how much other Pokemon rely on their items. Getting a Flame Orb on a Scraggy means that Scraggy has no problems for you. TrickScarfing a Slowpoke, or a Lickitung, or something...means you just took out a wall! Meowth can't do shit to dedicated walls, while Buneary effectively eliminates them.
  6. comatthew6

comatthew6 Uther's Noble [Ball]Sack
    is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Meowth has Taunt iirc so its not completely donezo if slowpoke switches in. I'm not trying to say that Bunearys bad, since it is most definitely the best of the four here but is it REALLY THAT good? I see a little overhype here.
  7. blarajan

I haven't once seen a Meowth use Taunt. But maybe cause it dies so fast...not sure. Regardless, I don't see how it's overhyped. I figured Buneary was crap but then I tested it and it was brilliant. Switcheroo is actually fucking amazing.
  8. iss

iss happily ever after
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

That's a bit harsh... Aipom has better stats and way more coverage moves (Seed Bomb, Acrobatics (!), and U-turn are the big ones). It can also Baton Pass Nasty Plot, which is sorta unique I guess. Buneary has Klutz + Switcheroo and Encore going for it, which I guess with 19 Speed is pretty good, but not entirely outclassing Aipom. Aipom might be a bit weaker than Meowth, but it is much bulkier and has way more coverage options (Meowth just has Bite, Seed Bomb, and U-turn.)
  9. blarajan

Aipom has two higher defense points, and that's it.

The coverage options are cool, but I'll give it U-Turn.
  10. Dubulous

Dubulous I look just like Buddy Holly.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Since when do Aipom (70 Base) and Meowth (45 Base) have the same Attack stat? Or am I missing something? I realize that Meowth has Technician, but what is it boosting besides Fake Out that both Aipom and Meowth have access to? They are similar Pokemon, yes, but the extra bulk isn't the only thing setting them apart.

Regardless, let's focus on Buneary! No more silly tangents.
  11. blarajan

I was talking about between Aipom and Buneary.
  12. sworm09

sworm09

[​IMG]

Buneary @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Limber
    EVs: 236 Atk/ 252 Spd
    Nature: Adamant
    - Return
    - Fire Punch
    - Bounce
    - Switcheroo

That's what I came up with.....
  13. Benny in a Jet

Benny in a Jet

You're sort of walled by Rock types in general. I'd run Drain Punch over either FP or Bounce. Replacing Bounce leaves you walled by Litwick (not sure what else), and replecing Fire Punch means you don't get the SE hit on Bronzor.
  14. NatGeo

NatGeo kauai
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Yeah, Drain Punch > Bounce IMO, since you're not really doing much to Fighting-types even with it. You're already getting an SE hit on most grass types anyways, and any recovery Buneary can get is pretty much a godsend.
  15. Griff

Griff

I've had a tough time facing a Wish-Protect Lickiting, luckily on like the 10th try my focus blast critted.
  16. blarajan

The Buneary set I've been running is Fake Out / Switcheroo / Shadow Ball / Drain Punch. It's actually ridiculously effective. Shadow Ball 2HKOes Gastly and Slowpoke after you take away its Eviolite, even with no investment.

Also: 500th post :D.
  17. sworm09

sworm09

Lickitung @ Eviolite
    Ability: Cloud Nine
    EVs:196 HP/156 Def/156 Sp.Def
    Nature: Bold
    -Knock Off
    -Toxic
    -Dragon Tail
    -Wish

An Eviolite set is pretty viable IMO. This one in particular needs some changing around. I couldn't really think of an awesome EV spread, and I'm sure there are much better movesets. I just wanted to throw this one out there. As for Snivy, I had a few problems coming up with a really "good" set for this guy. I'm thinking about Dual Screens, Leech Seed?
  18. blarajan

^ Little Cup evs don't work like that. Dual Screens is probably the best you'll get out of Snivy though.
  19. NatGeo

NatGeo kauai
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Anyone tried out some sort of physical set for Venonat? I know it doesn't have the greatest coverage in the world (if it only got Quiver Dance 9.9), but it could work with 55 Attack. Something like Sleep Powder / Agility / Zen Headbutt / Bug Bite, or soemthing of that nature. It doesn't have the best coverage in the world, but again, it could work. Also double status venonat seems like an interesting annoyer with Sleep Powder + Stun Spore.
  20. Darkamber8828

Darkamber8828

Thing is, if I had an Agility, I'd rather Baton Pass it to something that can actually hurt stuff than try to sweep with a goddamn Venonat.

Double Powder is cool. I like Toxic over Stun Spore, but both are cool.
  21. sworm09

sworm09

Thank you, I didn't notice that I put 252. Venonat doesn't have too much going for it. A Physical set is probably as far as you can go with that it seems or probably even better another Eviolite set with status.
  22. blarajan

Yeah, I prefer double status Venonat. It's just not very physically threatening.
  23. Rowan

Rowan not a professor
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

Double status is great imo, as you can switch in on fighting moves easily thanks to a 4x resist. I think Sleep powder, Stun spore, Baton pass and Bug bite would be the way to go as Baton pass would be able to keep the momentum on your side if the sleeping pokemon switches out.
  24. blarajan

Signal Beam > Bug Bite. Baton Pass also really isn't necessary. It's not hard earning back momentum in LC.
  25. TickingSeedotBomb

TickingSeedotBomb

Oh yea god don't even get me started on Lickitung! Wish + Protect gives insane survivability. it can dish out damage. and dragon tail is possibly the most annoying move ever cause you can't setup on it. unless you have a substitute up. prepare to be annoyed by Lickitung.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)