Research Week ORAS Edition [Week 12 - 3rd Month Specialaru] - Won by Skankovich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
shout-out to my Mazz for being the OG-OP
Hello, Underused!

Professor Kink here to present to you Week 12, a BONUS Week of the ORAS edition of Research Week!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will end on Sunday.
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after this period. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. Don't forget, participation in projects like Research Week help towards earning the Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it.

This Week's ORAS Selection: Any PU Mon of YOUR CHOICE
PU Viability Rankings Here

How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What gives them trouble?
What advantages do they have over other Pokemon?
How well do they work in the metagame?

If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu and the Viability Ranking Thread as well.
In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest peak ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered.
  • PLEASE post your updated rank with your updated analysis, otherwise you will not win.

Last edited:
Can we use kecleon/tauros? they are bl4.
EDIT: in with floatzel on the alt RainSpamFloatzel

Last edited:

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
King UU do you have a link that lists all PU mons?
You can always /ds pu,all in Showdown to get a list. Here's what I've got from doing that:

Arbok, Ariados, Armaldo, Articuno, Aurorus, Avalugg, Barbaracle, Basculin, Bastiodon, Beartic, Beautifly, Beheeyem, Bellossom, Bibarel, Butterfree, Carbink, Carnivine, Carracosta, Castform, Chatot, Cherrim, Chimecho, Corsola, Dedenne, Delcatty, Delibird, Dewgong, Ditto, Dodrio, Drifblim, Dunsparce, Dusknoir, Dustox, Electrode, Emolga, Farfetch'd, Fearow, Flareon, Floatzel, Furfrou, Furret, Gigalith, Girafarig, Glaceon, Gogoat, Golduck, Golem, Gourgeist, Grumpig, Haunter, Heatmor, Huntail, Hypno, Illumise, Jumpluff, Kadabra, Kingler, Kricketune, Lapras, Leafeon, Leavanny, Ledian, Lickilicky, Linoone, Lumineon, Lunatone, Luvdisc, Luxray, Magcargo, Maractus, Marowak, Masquerain, Meganium, Meowstic, Mightyena, Minun, Misdreavus, Monferno, Mothim, Mr. Mime, Ninetales, Ninjask, Noctowl, Octillery, Pachirisu, Parasect, Pawniard, Pelipper, Persian, Phione, Pikachu-Belle, Pikachu-Cosplay, Pikachu-Libre, Pikachu-PhD, Pikachu-Pop-Star, Pikachu-Rock-Star, Piloswine, Plusle, Politoed, Poliwrath, Probopass, Purugly, Raichu, Rampardos, Rapidash, Raticate, Regice, Regigigas, Relicanth, Roselia, Rotom-Frost, Sawsbuck, Seaking, Seviper, Shedinja, Simipour, Simisage, Simisear, Slaking, Sneasel, Solrock, Spinda, Stantler, Stoutland, Stunfisk, Sudowoodo, Sunflora, Swalot, Swanna, Swoobat, Tangela, Throh, Togetic, Torkoal, Torterra, Tropius, Unfezant, Unown, Ursaring, Vanilluxe, Vespiquen, Victreebel, Volbeat, Wailord, Walrein, Watchog, Whiscash, Wigglytuff, Wobbuffet, Wormadam, Zebstrika

I guess I won't just pull out one of my existing Shedinja or Stoutland teams and use it for RW. I've been meaning to try out Poliwrath, though, so this might be my chance. I haven't been laddering much lately so I don't actually have suspect reqs yet, but once I do I might participate.

EDIT: Shedinja'd
EDIT2: And just for fun, I've decided to bold anything I've personally used or seen used in UU to decent effect, and italicize anything that I think has potential to work on the right team.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
You can always /ds pu,all in Showdown to get a list. Here's what I've got from doing that:

Arbok, Ariados, Armaldo, Articuno, Aurorus, Avalugg, Barbaracle, Basculin, Bastiodon, Beartic, Beautifly, Beheeyem, Bellossom, Bibarel, Butterfree, Carbink, Carnivine, Carracosta, Castform, Chatot, Cherrim, Chimecho, Corsola, Dedenne, Delcatty, Delibird, Dewgong, Ditto, Dodrio, Drifblim, Dunsparce, Dusknoir, Dustox, Electrode, Emolga, Farfetch'd, Fearow, Flareon, Floatzel, Furfrou, Furret, Gigalith, Girafarig, Glaceon, Gogoat, Golduck, Golem, Gourgeist, Grumpig, Haunter, Heatmor, Huntail, Hypno, Illumise, Jumpluff, Kadabra, Kingler, Kricketune, Lapras, Leafeon, Leavanny, Ledian, Lickilicky, Linoone, Lumineon, Lunatone, Luvdisc, Luxray, Magcargo, Maractus, Marowak, Masquerain, Meganium, Meowstic, Mightyena, Minun, Misdreavus, Monferno, Mothim, Mr. Mime, Ninetales, Ninjask, Noctowl, Octillery, Pachirisu, Parasect, Pawniard, Pelipper, Persian, Phione, Pikachu-Belle, Pikachu-Cosplay, Pikachu-Libre, Pikachu-PhD, Pikachu-Pop-Star, Pikachu-Rock-Star, Piloswine, Plusle, Politoed, Poliwrath, Probopass, Purugly, Raichu, Rampardos, Rapidash, Raticate, Regice, Regigigas, Relicanth, Roselia, Rotom-Frost, Sawsbuck, Seaking, Seviper, Shedinja, Simipour, Simisage, Simisear, Slaking, Sneasel, Solrock, Spinda, Stantler, Stoutland, Stunfisk, Sudowoodo, Sunflora, Swalot, Swanna, Swoobat, Tangela, Throh, Togetic, Torkoal, Torterra, Tropius, Unfezant, Unown, Ursaring, Vanilluxe, Vespiquen, Victreebel, Volbeat, Wailord, Walrein, Watchog, Whiscash, Wigglytuff, Wobbuffet, Wormadam, Zebstrika

I guess I won't just pull out one of my existing Shedinja or Stoutland teams and use it for RW. I've been meaning to try out Poliwrath, though, so this might be my chance. I haven't been laddering much lately so I don't actually have suspect reqs yet, but once I do I might participate.

Keeping in mind that NFE Pokemon can be used as well.

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Alt: Specs Aerodactyl
PU mon: Relicanth

Relicanth @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Rock Polish

The PU mon I decided to use this week was Relicanth and it was, well, an adventure. I attempted to think outside the box by using a set different from the standard Choice Band set in PU. It is pretty safe to say this set is nowhere near viable in UU. The idea I had for this set was to come in on Entei or Arcanine, set up a Rock Polish, and do some damage with STAB Head Smash with no recoil. With the Lum Berry Relicanth cannot be burned by Sacred Fire or Will-O-Wisp and it 4x resists fire attacks. Other than the high base power of Head Smash, Relicanth does not hit very hard at all with only 90 base attack. Head Smash only has 80% accuracy to make things worse. Relicanth is easily walled by any common physical walls like Mega Aggron, Swampert, Crocune, and Chesnaught. One of the main problems with this set is that other than those two pokemon, Relicanth does not set up on much else. Fighting types such as Heracross, Machamp, Mienshao, and Lucario are all running rampant within the tier and can all easily OHKO Relicanth with their respective STAB attacks. To cap it all off, it is set up fodder for the biggest threat on the UU suspect ladder, Serperior. Some calcs that epitomize my struggles can be found below.

252+ Atk Relicanth Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 58-69 (16.9 - 20.1%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Relicanth Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 87-103 (21.5 - 25.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Relicanth Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 136-162 (33.6 - 40%) -- 30.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Relicanth Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 66-78 (17.4 - 20.5%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 456-536 (133.7 - 157.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Machamp Dynamic Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 288-338 (84.4 - 99.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Reckless Mienshao High Jump Kick vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 392-464 (114.9 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Relicanth: 398-468 (116.7 - 137.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Team http://pastebin.com/L0ehJJZR
Relicanth obviously did not do much and most of my wins were because of Mega Audino. I decided to try out Crodino and it fared better than I expected, pulling off a few late game sweeps and even one 6-0 sweep albeit low ladder. The main goal of this team was to eliminate opposing poison types, steel types, and fighting types in an effort to pull off a sweep with either Audino or Relicanth. However, if your team needs a sweeper, I highly, highly, recommend not using Relicanth. I did not play too many battles this week due in part to being busy and also because I did not enjoy using this team. It may be worth noting that I have more losses with this team than with my team last week in which I participated in 42 battles. In conclusion, I suggest not using this Relicanth set on any serious UU team.

upload_2015-3-8_19-12-55.png

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Using Rotom-Frost Tropius under the alt Acxiom.

Last edited:
Couldn't you have done this a week later, now I can't unleash the power of Servine

In with Togetic definitely and Sneasel if I have time.
Alt: Servine Sweeper
Rank at 1449 but im still laddering.
http://screencast.com/t/DVixT5Xwz2

Ok, so I ended up using togetic but didn't have time for sneasel. Overall, I had pretty mixed results and found two viable option for togetic in the metagame.

1. Cleric Togetic

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Defog
- Dazzling Gleam

Togetic has such a wide support movepool that it can run so many sets as a cleric. It has wish, protect, roost,defog, heal bell, baton pass and more. If you want you can run a heal bell set or even make togetic physically defensive as at his the prowess to do that too. The problems with a cleric togetic is that its wishes are so puny that they literally pass 20% to certain common mons. And there is literally no reason to run this over a Florges of Aromatisse for example unless you need the hazard removal. Togetic's only niche as a cleric is its ability to defog. Otherwise I am hard pressed to find any other reason to use togetic as a healer. Florges can pass better wishes than a togetic while still having similar bulkiness. Umbreon of Vaporeon can baton pass wishes better than a togetic can. Togetic is prett much outclassed by all other healers to be honest. If the ability to defog is vital for your team though then this could be a good option.

2. Nastypass Togetic

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Baton Pass
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

According to a quick /ds only togetic and ambipom can reasonably baton pass a nasty plot in this tier. And there is no way anyone should use amibpom in UU. With this set, Togetic can act as a nice physical or special wall depending on your needs (just adjust the evs accordingly) while also baton passing nasty plots or even just baton passing for momentum. Personally, I have found mega-sceptile as a good partner/recipient for those baton passes. Like I said before, you can adjust moves based on what you need considering Togetic has such a wide movepool.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-216112206
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uususpecttest-216108033

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
In with Gourgeist-Small
alt: WallaceLord

I've been really intrigued by this little guy since very early XY, it's bulky and has an interesting typing but it's also fast and can burn some of the common wallbreakers before they get an attack off. I anticipate decent performance as a spinblocker and emergency button of sorts on hazard stack offense teams.

Edit: didnt get to play nearly as much as I wanted to this week but overall I was kind of disappointed, the speed just doesn't make up for the drop in bulk compared to it's larger forme, and it's really passive making it a forced fit at best on balance. Suppose it can't be helped.

Here was my set:

Gourgeist Small@Leftovers
Frisk
Jolly
252 HP 56 Def 200 Spe

Seed Bomb
Substitute
Will-o-Wisp
Leech Seed

Outspeeds Jolly Krookodile and can burn it before it can attack, overall a decent check to the typical defensive Water type but Ice Beam does hurt due to its frailty on the special side. It makes for a decent fast SubSeeder that handles certain UU threats better than its main competition for the role, Whimsicott. Will o Wisp is also a good quality to have over Whimsicott.
Seed Bomb is the most optimal STAB to use in the last slot because Gourgeist is very weak and the SE coverage on Water and Ground types is more valuable than neutral coverage from a Ghost STAB.

Last edited:

EDIT2: And just for fun, I've decided to bold anything I've personally used or seen used in UU to decent effect, and italicize anything that I think has potential to work on the right team.
italicize floatzel imo

in as turtwall

Not sure if I'll do this yet, but carracosta looks really solid:

252 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carracosta: 100-118 (28.4 - 33.5%) -- 93.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Eq does the same amount)

252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carracosta: 118-141 (33.5 - 40%) -- 28.7% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
(Eq does 28-33)

He even survives the 2hko from scarf Hera (Yeh I know other sets are way more common but still) if he carries protect, which is mind blowing:
252 Atk Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 177-211 (50.2 - 59.9%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

I'm not gonna bother calcing darm and entei because let's be real here

252 Atk Krookodile Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 141-168 (40 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Can't really check krook, but still

252+ Atk Mega Beedrill Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Solid Rock Carracosta: 72-85 (20.4 - 24.1%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also carra 2hkos these all with Rock slide and scald

So yah, something that can check most of the s and a rank physical threats looks really promising.

A core of carra and Florges in particularly looks really good on a balance team.

Carracosta @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

Carra can switch in on most of the things that force out florges, particularly strong fires like entei and darm, and set rocks up. Meanwhile florges can aromatherapy any burns carra may incur, while tanking sacred fired from entei. Perhaps more importantly, florges has wish to keep carra healthy enough to take repeated beatings. Florges can also tank some fighting types (namely mien) and troubling special threats like mega ampharos, hydreigon and shaymin.

Probably run this core with dugtrio to trap band tyrantum, heracross and queen and ull be sweet (y)

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)