Research Week ORAS Edition [Week 15] - Won by Darkrones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello, Underused!

Professor Kink here to present to you Week 15 of the ORAS edition of Research Week!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will end on Sunday.
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after this period. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. Don't forget, participation in projects like Research Week help towards earning the Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it.

This Week's ORAS Selection

Regirock
upload_2015-4-7_17-47-30.png

Registeel
upload_2015-4-7_17-48-12.png

Regice
upload_2015-4-7_17-51-11.png

How useful are these Pokemon in ORAS UU? What gives them trouble?
What advantages do they have over other Pokemon?
How well do they work in the metagame?

If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu and the Viability Ranking Thread as well.
In order to participate you must do the following:

• Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest peak ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered.
  • PLEASE post your updated rank with your updated analysis, otherwise you will not win.

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Alt: Specs Tyrunt
Mon: Regirock
Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Overall Use
I chose to use Regirock this week mostly because of its access to rocks and its ability to wall a few common threats. It has monstrous defense stat of base 200 and resists two common attacking types in flying and fire. Regirock checks some of the main threats in the tier including Entei, Mega Aerodactyl, Salamence, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Pidgeot. Regirock can take any hit from these mons and proceed to hit them with STAB Stone Edge. The other attacking move I chose to run was Drain Punch. Drain Punch does not have a heavy damage output but does provide some recovery, albeit in small doses. Toxic was mainly used to cripple bulkier pokemon that would come in on Regirock. While it is useful to check some of the tier's monsters and set up rocks, the usefulness mostly ends there. Regirock struggles with the fact that UU is home to many prominent fighting types like Heracross, Machamp, Mienshao, Lucario, etc. Not only are there many threatening fighting types, there are also many bulky water pokemon that give Regirock trouble such as Empoleon, Swampert, Suicune, Tentacruel, Blastoise, and Vaporeon. They can all threaten with STAB Scald including the chance to burn. Overall, Regirock can be useful at times but otherwise does not fare well at all when it comes to facing common bulky waters and fighting types. Basically for it to be effective it needs proper support.

252+ Atk Choice Band Entei Sacred Fire vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 53-63 (14.6 - 17.3%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery
8 Atk Regirock Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Entei: 248-294 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Aerodactyl Aqua Tail vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 116-138 (31.9 - 38%) -- 0.6% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
8 Atk Regirock Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 44 Def Mega Aerodactyl: 236-282 (78.4 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 98-116 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 37.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Salamence Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 98-116 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 37.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Regirock Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Salamence: 258-306 (77.9 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Regirock Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 260-308 (69.7 - 82.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Beedrill Drill Run vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Regirock: 84-100 (23.1 - 27.5%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Regirock Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Beedrill: 438-516 (161.6 - 190.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Mega Pidgeot Hurricane vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Regirock: 93-109 (25.6 - 30%) -- 0.4% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Regirock Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Pidgeot: 258-306 (84 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Team: http://pastebin.com/KD21YnGK
Regirock's role on this team is to stop some threats, cripple bulkier mons with Toxic, and set up stealth rock as mentioned and shown above. I decided to give it wish support with Florges as the two had good synergy for the most part. The main problem this team faced was Nidoqueen. Nothing wanted to switch into it as it destroys the Regirock/Florges core and deals heavy damage to the rest of the team as well. Despite the huge Nido problem, the team fared well. Regirock did its job for the most part and pulled its weight. My W/L with the team can be seen below.
upload_2015-4-12_14-9-10.png

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alt: LordSnowman2
Mons: Regice

My current set:

Regice @ Choice Specs
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk

UU is really BoltBeam weak so this set has very limited switch ins, Suicune takes like 70 from Tbolt. The EVs outspeed Vaporeon so I can always 2hko after Rocks before it Wishes.
Pretty nifty check to Nidos as well, Tentacruel is a great partner because of Rapid Spin and it can switch into most Fire and Fighting mons in the tier, plus it beats bulky Fairies that can tank it's hits.

Upon further thought, there's not much reason to use this over Kyurem though having Tbolt to beat Waters, beating Hydreigon, being an Ice resistance that isnt weak to Electric or Grass, and being a better Nido switch in does give it some niche merit. Only takes like 32 from Pidgeot's Hurricane and Heat Wave doesnt KO after so thats nice.

current team, subject to change
Regice @ Choice Specs
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk

Heracross @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 240 HP / 240 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Acid Spray
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Filter
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

EDIT: Currently at 1357 elo with the same team: http://gyazo.com/5b335c58f7e682b5d54ce9066280634a
May just leave it at that. Regice isnt very good lol

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
Going to be working on Registeel Today
Alt: Meme Mister

This is the team I came up with real quick at work. It's FAR from being ready for use, the mence set is awful so ignore it. But this is generally the blueprint for what I'll be laddering with.

http://pastebin.com/ve80PikE

1. Registeel @ Leftovers
  2. Ability: Clear Body
  3. Shiny: Yes
  4. EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
  5. Careful Nature
  6. - Rest
  7. - Sleep Talk
  8. - Curse
  9. - Iron Head

10. Salamence @ Leftovers
  11. Ability: Intimidate
  12. Shiny: Yes
  13. EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
  14. Careful Nature
  15. - Roost
  16. - Refresh
  17. - Toxic
  18. - Dragon Tail

19. Heracross @ Toxic Orb
  20. Ability: Guts
  21. EVs: 48 HP / 208 Atk / 252 Spe
  22. Jolly Nature
  23. - Close Combat
  24. - Knock Off
  25. - Facade
  26. - Swords Dance

27. Florges (F) @ Leftovers
  28. Ability: Flower Veil
  29. EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
  30. Bold Nature
  31. - Aromatherapy
  32. - Wish
  33. - Protect
  34. - Moonblast

35. Empoleon @ Leftovers
  36. Ability: Torrent
  37. EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
  38. Bold Nature
  39. - Stealth Rock
  40. - Scald
  41. - Defog
  42. - Roar

43. Shaymin @ Choice Specs
  44. Ability: Natural Cure
  45. EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  46. Timid Nature
  47. - Seed Flare
  48. - Air Slash
  49. - Dazzling Gleam
  50. - Healing Wish

Last edited:
o crap did this end already?

reply to avoid spam: aw man :[ don't think thats enough time for me lol. i'll just have to look out for the next one then :/

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Darkrones wins this one with a slightly underwhelming score. However, well done regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)