Research Week ORAS Edition [Week 16] - Single Pokemon Challenge - Won by bsu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello, Underused!

Professor Kink here to present to you Week 16 of the ORAS edition of Research Week!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will end on Sunday.
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after this period. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. Don't forget, participation in projects like Research Week help towards earning the Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it.

This Week's SINGLE ORAS Selection

Regigigas

upload_2015-4-22_12-25-8.png

How useful are these Pokemon in ORAS UU? What gives them trouble?
What advantages do they have over other Pokemon?
How well do they work in the metagame?

If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu and the Viability Ranking Thread as well.

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest peak ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered.
  • PLEASE post your updated rank with your updated analysis, otherwise you will not win.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Quick note: this is not a cop-out. I've been intending to do a Regi-series double RW for a while now, and I apologize that my shitty work schedule may have ruined the hype. That being said, I hope everyone will fully take this opportunity to really test out the options, especially with Conquest and Dark Horse available.

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
In

Alt : EarlxShirt
If you use my Set, PLEASE Give me Credit.

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Ability: Slow Start
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Power-Up Punch
- Frustration

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
Here's the team I'll be using. It's somewhat of a slow but aggressive team, with Crobat and Scarf-Shao being the two hard hitters if fast damage is needed. I'd like to fit priority in somewhere so if I can feed free to let me know. This team is most likely going to change as I climb the ladder. My plan is to play slow and out predict my opponent. So not only is this my way of doing Research Week, it's my way of learning how to become much better at predicting by using a team that encourages and benefits from it. Here you go guys, enjoy and have fun ^^. If for whatever reason you use my team or Regigigas set, please give me some sort of credit or shout out?

Regigigas @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Substitute
- Power-Up Punch
- Frustration

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Taunt
- Roost

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Crobat
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Defog
- U-turn
- Cross Poison

Mienshao @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
In. Gonna experiment with something a bit more defensive to take advantage of a certain cleric in UU that is highly accessible to balance and happens to resist Fighting. I don't actually know it's support movepool too well but seeing TWave gives me some hope. Please tell me it gets Knock Off at least....

EDIT: it does.

Alt: GigaWallace

My set:
My Body is Reggie (Regigigas) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Ice Punch

Nice utility Gigas, good for spreading T Wave for stuff like Ampharos. Though really it's looking like an inferior Porygon-2 with Knock Off as its only redeeming quality (as well as some serious power if you pull a miracle and survive Slow Start). Return hits frail targets for ok damage and Ice Punch is to take on Mence and Haxorus which commonly carry Lum Berry. It's still really really bad but this is the best I could do with it, at least it's tanky as hell.
I found it inefficient to invest in Attack basically because just as abilities like Huge Power and items like Assault Vest amplify the effects of each EV, Slow Start does the opposite, it wastes EVs if you try to invest in Attack or Speed, and even uninvested if you somehow manage to survive Slow Start you'll still be hitting pretty hard. Instead, I chose to take advantage of Regigigas' defensive stats to take on and potentially cripple top tier physical threats like Feraligatr, Mega Aero, and Salamence. Pairs well with Fighting resists like Florges and Crobat for obvious reasons as well as any slow attacker that appreciates the TWave and Knock Off support.

Current elo 1493 (damn lol I didnt think I'd ladder this much today)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227185465
Regigigas being a pain against a 1500+ elo player

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227188659
This is what happens when you let Slow Start wear off, soul snatched lmao, he wasnt even that low either.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227211434
Another 1500+ opponent, Reggie aint playing no games

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227212034
YO WE LIVIN OUT HERE

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227215162
Another decent battle, he really didnt know what to expect lol

Team:
My Body is Reggie (Regigigas) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Ice Punch

Oculus (Florges) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy

Head and Shoulders (Ampharos) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

Memebat (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost

Goon 1 (Feraligatr) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Goon 2 (Krookodile) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

http://gyazo.com/2a1c9e639d641ef79d4fcc153ab517a0

Last edited:

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Welp I finally tilted unfortunately I only have proof of up to 1454 Elo in the image above but I briefly broke 1500 Elo as well, which I never expected from Regigigas haha it was a good run, if someone passes me I may give it another go another day

EDIT: Actually the last replay there shows me getting to 1469 so thats the score to beat.

Last edited:

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
In
Alt: Specs Cran
Btw King UU I had an elo of almost 1500 last week and the winner had about 1350 iirc.

in!!!!!!!!!!!
alt: u22u
kinda excited tho :DDDDD
Set 1:
Regigigas @ Leftovers
EVs: 176 HP / 156 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
So this set was the first one i tried. Kinda bad tbh. HP EVs for 101 subs, spdef evs were to live scalds from mons like empoleon and random special moves from stall mons with a sub still intact, the rest in defense bc attack would be kinda meh. Twave for obvious reasons, knock off too, drain punch because i thought that recovery would be decent (turns out lol nope).
Team mates:
Anything decently fast and super strong would be good team mates i guess, mons that would appreciate the Twave support.
Notes:
This set was pretty bad, its built for a stally team, but literally there are so many better stall mons to use instead, p2 is an excellent one. Needs cleric support too to function (florges), but then it's like it needs support in order to support, idk regi is bad lol.

0 SpA Empoleon Scald vs. 176 HP / 176+ SpD Regigigas: 67-81 (16.5 - 20%)
+1 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 176 HP / 176+ SpD Regigigas: 85-102 (20.9 - 25.1%)
0 SpA Roserade Sludge Bomb vs. 176 HP / 176+ SpD Regigigas: 84-100 (20.7 - 24.6%)
28 SpA Mold Breaker Mega Ampharos Volt Switch vs. 176 HP / 176+ SpD Regigigas: 85-102 (20.9 - 25.1%)

Better set!:
Regigigas @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
It might have just been bc i made a better team the second time, but this set preformed way better, but still pretty bad as a whole. Fully defensive lets it eat a few hits, notably outrages from salamence, waterfall from gatr and other. It's not a counter tho. it can semi check doublade too which I've been seeing a lot recently. Anyways, knock off and Twave to annoy, ice punch to better check salamence and dragons, toxic bc can switch into stally mons like p2 and hippo and etc and just toxic i guess lol. Regi's support move pool isn't much so :/

Team mates:
again, mons that appreciate Twave support, fits well on stally teams, florges is always a good partner with wish and heal bell support. I personally paired it with mega pidgeot as regi can be a decent Maero check. the team would appreciate another def pokemon to backup regi (i used suicune)

Notes:
with full def investment, regi can eat a looooot of physical hits, but it can't really be a reliable switch in for any since lack of recovery. I thought about a rest talk set, but with only two moves it has a few options, Twave + knock off being the ones i would choose, but then with only those two moves it becomes set up fodder for stuff with sub i guess, also just too many free turns for the opponent. ALSO, ice punch could be subbed for hidden power ice, though that would only hit harder vs an intimidate salamence on the switch, and marginally vs haxorus. HP ice would be better though if you plan on regi being the scald switch in i suppose.

+1 252 Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regigigas: 204-241 (48.1 - 56.8%) -- 38.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Feraligatr Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regigigas: 211-250 (49.7 - 58.9%) -- 71.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Doublade Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regigigas: 260-306 (61.3 - 72.1%)
252 Atk Choice Band Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regigigas: 386-456 (91 - 107.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
i mean just wow tho
252 Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Regigigas: 114-135 (26.8 - 31.8%)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-228207710
turn 11, regi eats +2 sucker punch from absol
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-228206335
turn 5-7, regi annoys a vaporeon
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-228204335
beginning regi kinda does something, getting rid of froslass safely
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-228202138
turn 9 REGI EATS A SCARF CC FROM HERACROSS HOW WHAT WHO HUH??!?!?!?! but then promptly dies bc it cant do anything back really lol
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227951506
turn 2 eats a +1 outrage from mence, ice punch only does like 70% tho :[ plus i lose lol
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227950712
turn 17 regi can avoid a 2KO from +1 hydro pump from suicune
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227948284
turn 7 bye-bye mence, turn 8 i could have toxic or Twave the slur puff go options! turn 17 knock off the doublade ya (highish ladder ~1500 opponent)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-227942830
turn 31 regi can be good against eviolite walls with no status removal options, turn 80 only takes 30% from alakazam psyshock (super stally battle lol)

GENERAL NOTES:
-any hope for an offensive set should not exist.
-good teammates should be able to take advantage of things that regi are weak too, aka fighting types, and opposing stall as regi gets easily worn down.
-hazard control/support is nice, but when is it not
-Twave is ur fren :]
-maybe a team with tentacruel would have decent synergy with type, rapid spin and t-spike support idk

Overall:
Regigigas is pretty ass, it can be an ok defensive pivot + annoyer, although p2 kinda does the same thing better only no knock off and more vulnerable to opposing knock off. A sub + confuse ray + Twave set is i think the "standard" (???) but i aint about that life. I thought about a lo gravity set with thunder, focus blast, earth power/hyperbeam LOL since it can 2ko crocune but idk. I didn't even try an offensive set that would stall out slow start, and even if it did, anything faster/fighting would just revenge kill/force out so its pretty meh (Maybe something like sub, Twave, return + eq). It basically has like 0 niche so.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
they'll last 1-2 weeks depending on my schedule. If you see not much activity after week 1, assume it got extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)