Research Week V2 #3 - Won by Dudeman130498

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shout-out to Kitten Milk for the excellent suggestion to revive this project!

I've ran Research Week projects since Black and White, and one of the major issues I've noticed is that getting participants has always been a bugger. Today, that problem is hopefully no more! I present to you a fresh take on a classic idea, Research Week V2! Once again, I welcome UU-ers and all those looking for an excellent competitive Pokemon experience! Unlike last time where you chose between a number of Pokemon, you'll now be choosing between a number of Pokemon sets.

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you..
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but cut-off days will be on Tuesday (also the day that I post a new thread)
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. You'll also earn yourself a Community Contributor nomination point. Collect ten of those, and you will be nominated for a Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it.

This Week's Research Pokemon:

CB Machamp / Porygon2 / Mega-Banette / Moltres

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability:
EVs: 252 Atk
Nature:
-
- Heavy Slam
-
- Knock Off

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Recover
-
- Thunder Wave

Banette-Mega @ Banettite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
-
- Destiny Bond

Any blank spaces in these sets are to be filled with the moves of your choice. Moltres does not have a mandatory set for this week. Tell us about why you chose specific moves and what they were able to accomplish!

How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hall of Fame (found in the Resource Thread).

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Alt: Mega Doll
Mons: Porygon 2 and mega banette
Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 96 HP / 212 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Tri Attack
- Thunder Wave
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk

Infernape @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Close Combat
- Stealth Rock

Okay imma write a very quick version just for now this will be edited ASAP. Infernape is a rock setter with offensive power as I felt a mix attacker and rocks were needed. Crocune is a decent phys def wall, can sweep, and handles the two types that this team would be weak to otherwise aka water and ice. Hydra, crobat, and pory 2 make a pretty good core main weakness being stoise but pory 2 does beat it one on one. Finally is my baenette cause he is BAE. This mon is a great lead choice and beats mons like blissey and umbreon. I gave him taunt as his last so I can force a mon into killing me in a one on one scenario also if they predict Dbond the next turn you get a slow knock off on a mon going for a non attacking move and then just dbond again. Overall Banette is my star while P2 is a mon I am probably gonna change out for an answer to stoise.

Last edited:
I think I'll have time for this

Alt: research n_n

Pokemon: Machamp, Porygon2, M-Banette

Technically, they all have pretty great defensive synergy, along with a decent amount of offensive pressure. I think it would work out fine, tho I need to test it

Alsi whats up w/ the missing pory2 evs. What spread is it suppose to be?

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Alt: HeyLyla
Pokemon: Moltres

Looking forward to taking Moltres for a spin! The guy was an absolute monster back in DPP.

Alt: VBD RW3
Pokemon: Machamp.

########################################################

Teambuilding Process:

Well this is where I started. Of the 4 mons to choose from, Machamp was the one that really jumped out at me.

I realized immediately that I would need something to beat Psychic-Types, and to sponge Special hits well. Umbreon filled this role perfectly, and also fits as a cleric for my team.

Noticing that these 2 mons shared a weakness in Fairy, and it lacked a solid Fighting Check, so Crobat fit like a glove. Crobat also serves as good hazard removal.

I wanted a solid physical backbone to go along with Umbreon, so Suicune fit well as a bulky Water-Type. Plus, Suicune is a great Win-Condition, so I wouldn't have to worry about that.

Having something to take Flying-Type hits would be very nice, as well as a nice answer to opposing Crobats. Jirachi seemed like a good fit, as it also serves as a reliable Scarfer.

For my final Pokemon, I very much wanted Stealth Rocks, as well as an immunity to Volt Switch, so I was debating between Hippowdon and Nidoqueen. I decided that I wanted to maintain Offensive Pressure, so I chose Nidoqueen in the end.

Team Analysis:
Whelp, here goes. BandChamp, as Dudeman has been saying, has like, no counters. Next to nothing can come in on his actually not bad coverage, and being able to outspeed Crocune is huge. I honestly think Champ will become something outside of a "gimmick" per se, as it actually does function much like Heracross, but with worse typing. Jirachi is huge toward the success of my team, because it covers Champ's weaknesses nicely, and can flinch things to death, as any UU player can attest. Umbreon can singlehandedly wall teams, and it also covers Machamp's flaws extremely well. Crobat serves as the teams only hazard removal, meaning you have to preserve it for as long as possible to ensure that residual won't ruin you. Nidoqueen contributes immensely as well, as a great Offensive Stealth Rock setter, and good glue.

This team covers most huge threats in the tier, although certain things can steamroll me if I do not keep my check/counter alive. The 2 biggest threats to my team easily are M-Absol and M-Blastoise. I rely very heavily on Suicune to deal with Absol, but to no surprise, this doesnt always work. M-Blastoise threatens my team outside of Umbreon, who even then doesn't appreciate the uncommon Aura Sphere set. Crocune also does some work to my team, but Machamp can outspeed and 2HKO if the need be. Other things that can cause grief to my team are PhysDef Quagsire, opposing Rachi, and Mixed Nidoking. For PhysDef Quaggy, I rey on the surprise factor and oftentimes will use my Jirachi's Grass Knot to deal some serious damage to it. Opposing Rachis are usually not super hard to deal with, as Inner Focus Umbreon can do well against it. I actually have 0 switchins to MixNido, but ScarfRachi can come in after a sac and do it's thing.

TL;DR, I am happy with my first Research Week team as it covers many threats in the tier and has laddered me fairly high, ~1550 (no proof though :[[).

Replays:

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alt: Kinkaserious
Machamp & Moltres

Brief Intro: Team is an adaptation of my previous RW machamp + my new vap/krook core, with a new little interesting take on Moltres. We'll see if it pans out.
Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 HP / 56 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 160 Atk / 8 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Taunt

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Zen Headbutt
- Trick

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Protect

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Atk / 56 Def / 160 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin

1500+ replays

Last edited:
Ill give this a go...

Fresh alt: Annabelle1088

Mons: Annabelle (Mega Banette) and Porygon2

Im planning on putting Taunt for Annabelles last spot to stop sweepers to clinch the DBond trap. Porygon2 is going to have the rest of EVs poured into SpDef with last move to be toxic
Double Status and SpinBlocking is just screaming Hazard setting and semi stall kind of feel.. Ill playbwith the team a bit and will post it here shortly.

Mazz can I ask that the P2 set is changed so we don't need those four useless speed evs I don't see why they are even mandatory did you mean sp def?
No. You get to creep opposing Porygon2 and whatever else hits that uninvested speed tier. Put the remaining 248 EVs in Special Defence if you so want, but I'm not changing them.

Donphantastic

I'm Donny P. (W)
is a Tiering Contributor
Alt: RW3 Donphantastic
Mons: Moltres/Machamp
Peak: To come
Replays: Also to come
Edited; dropping porygon-2 the spdef set just does not work out for me

Last edited:
Alt: fuck confuse
Pokemon: Machamp

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-172985110 Machamp basically 6-0d this guy

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-172987356 the Suicune counter

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173018485

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173020533

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173283114 lol hard switched bat out of krook

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173383015 vs. a user of the less manly CB Champ

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173672317 Machamp broke his entire defensive core - Florges, Suicune, and Arcanine ALL brought down within 30%

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-174227291 RIP Crobat

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-174327532 killed a "counter" and a Hydreigon, put me into the 1700s nbd

Edit: Right, some analysis.

I've paired Choice Band Guts Machamp with Mega Aggron and Pursuit Krookodile to take care of Crobat, which is Machamp's most common switchin by far. I don't want to rely on Stone Edge missing, and I want to capitalize on Machamp's devastating power by using its strongest STAB in Close Combat in conjunction with Guts. Machamp is a free switch against the likes of Porygon2, Blissey, and Umbreon, among others, so I like to double out into Krookodile and Pursuit the Crobat on the U-turn. This allows me to basically come in on the specially defensive walls of the tier and click Close Combat without fear, and enjoy watching something die in the process. In one of the replays I managed to straight OHKO a full HP Swampert switchin with no rocks on the field, so that was fun.

TL;DR: I don't want to fuck around with DynamicPunch, as my RW3 alt suggests.

Aside from Machamp, I can definitely say that Mega Aggron's put in some work. I'm using a more offensive spread with quite a bit of speed investment and this takes a lot of people by surprise as I'm able to OHKO or 2HKO almost any offensive switchin. It's definitely one of the more reliable, long lived Stealth Rock users I've tried. The unfortunate part is that its typing gives it weaknesses to the physical moves of the tier, so most physical attacks are 2HKOs. And without any SpDef investment, a lot of powerful even resisted hits are doing a ton of damage.

Last edited:
alt: 3arelegend

will be using moltres, but might throw champ on there occasionaly as well

EDIT: Steadily rising, but absolutely not thanks to the M&M boys. Zero replays to offer because I've almost exclusively been having bad quality games. Opponents literally never hit themselves in confusion bec of dPunch (for real, not a single time in 25 games), and man, Moltres IS indeed blind af, ngl. I've been using the LO 3 attacks roost set, with enough speed to outspeed max spe base 80's. It has very few switchins though, and the potential really is there. Might switch to a subtoxic set.

EDIT2: Man does LO trick room reuniclus deserve more love. Set up once the opposition has been weakened and just tear shit apart, it literally wins me 90% of my games. Maybe something for next RW in order to boost its usage a bit?

Last edited:

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So far I've been playing a semistall team afaik, I've always been horrible at classifying teams.

Sub Roost Moltres has been a valuable asset so far and it can "check" a fair amount of threats to the team. Check was in quotations because the reliability of it is definitely in question due to its weakness to Stealth Rock and reliance on speed investment. However, when it actually gets in for free against Nidoqueen or something, it can whittle it with WoW. It also checks a bunch of physical threats such as Machamp, Cobalion, Lucario, etc.

The team uses the AromaCruel core I put in the cores thread to handle most of the tier. It's supplemented here with Bulky Krook and SubRoost Moltres to handle overpowering physical threats. The team is completed with Bulky SD Celebi to beat Crocune and Scarf Rachi because it's glorious with TSpikes.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173251409
Sub Roost Moltres walls his whole team with some discretion and maneuvering. A final TSpike at the end of the game allows for a Jirachi sweep.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173256124
Moltres really earns his stripes by crippling my opponent's entire team. Some finagling lets me burn 2 Flygon and Honchkrow and left me free to grab a kill on Infernape.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173225286
Even though I lose this one, it really shows the offensive pressure that Moltres can exert (heh). Donphantastic's Moltres tears me apart after I foolishly let my Tentacruel get weakened early on.

Alt: DATA DUCK
mons: Pory2, mega banette
Will add team/replays when I get some good battles.
With Normal/Ghost core, will probably make balance/semistall (a lot more of defensive cores/stall) with some Knock Off absorbers.

Team (Will add details later)
http://pastebin.com/G8RCUq0e

Last edited:
Alt: Rraegsb

Mon: Porygon-2 and Moltres

http://pastebin.com/i89dG0Jq

Rain Dance team with Moltres and Porygon-2 as dancers that's actually working out pretty neatly so far. Has trouble with Bulky Waters and Chesnaught, but not as much as one might think.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173455395 So close and yet so far...if Pory-2 hadn't had all that paralysis...

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173589785 Won this one, and he called me names, but it was in this battle I realized my team's weakness to Toxicroak if Moltres is down. Draco Meteor does a lot, but Kingdra's frail and is ripped apart by Sucker Punch at low percentage.

Last edited:
I feel like Mega-Banette's moveset/EVs shouldn't be so defined already - it gets access to a bunch of other cool stuff like T-wave and Taunt as well as attacking moves (Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Shadow Sneak, etc.), and may want to run speed to get KO'd by stuff so it can Destiny Bond and also outspeed defensive mons

Anyways, Alt: Ban(d) Machamp
Mons: Machamp, Mega-Banette

Last edited:
Banded Machamp is honestly the best wallbreaker I've found since Victini. It really only has one hard counter in the form of physically defensive Granbull (who is honestly just sub-optimal at this point in the metagame). Here's the set I've been using

Machamp @ Choice Band
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Heavy Slam
- Bullet Punch

I haven't even bothered to put Stone Edge on here since Crobat takes around 70% from Knock Off, and is not too hard to play around with my team. Also Stone Edge is like the easiest move to switch into ever so if I miss a Stone Edge on the switch that's a huge amount of momentum lost anyway. Bullet Punch has definitely come in handy to pick of Alakazams, Aerodactyls, and the like, so I ran that instead.

I've considered putting fewer Speed EVs on this thing since right now it outspeeds Suicune and getting the drop before getting hit by a Scald kind of sucks, but this is just such a reliable way to kill Suicune it's unbelievable. If you manage to catch a Scald Burn you're looking at 80-90% dealt to the Suicune on the following turn.

Using Guts over No Guard has been the best decision, not only do I not have to worry about burns from Sableye, defensive Arcanine, Suicune, etc, but the extra power from Close Combat helps net a lot of 2HKOs that DynamicPunch wouldn't be able to. Examples are Suicune, Hippowdon, Chesnaught, Arcanine, and even standard Florges (with a Close Combat!). It's just soo much more reliable at breaking down defensive mons than the shitty confuse version.

I will say that a downside to using Choice Band max speed Machamp is that it's not great against offense; it still puts in work because it can check certain Pokemon like Absol. But generally it gets off one big hit and then dies/gets saved as fodder. It does have reasonable bulk (nearly identical to Heracross, but Heracross had a better typing) so it's able to tank a hit or two from the likes of Scarf Hydreigon, Life Orb Roserade, Banded Krookodile, and Nidoking. A lot of people expect AV so they don't want to risk their special attacker by staying in.

Like I said, this 2HKOs everything in the tier except for Granbull, and there are quite a few defensive Pokemon who give Machamp a free switch. Overall, if you're looking for a way to blast through balanced defensive cores and/or counter Suicune, this is a rather mindless, fun, unexpected way of doing so.

I'll put in some calcs so you can see just how powerful this thing is. Note that none of these even have a Guts boost factored in:
252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Swampert: 249-294 (62 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 211-250 (52.2 - 61.8%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 268-316 (50.6 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 165-195 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 382-450 (94 - 110.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Sableye: 272-320 (89.4 - 105.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 209-247 (56 - 66.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 207-244 (49.2 - 58%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 178-211 (46.4 - 55%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 204-240 (53.6 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vaporeon: 318-375 (68.5 - 80.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

TL;DR: The counter is 2HKO'd by Close Combat.

Last edited:
So, I've been having a lot of fun with this team. I picked Mega Banette and Porygon2 and am currently sitting around 1400 as of today. Here are some thoughts:
1. Sp Def P2 is very good. It's ability to safely switch-in on the nidos with the potential Sheer Force boost to Tri-Attack is a great boon. Trace allows it to copy useful abilities as Flash Fire, Natural Cure, Water Absorb, Magic Guard, etc.. Needs something to check physical attackers.
2. Mega Banette aka Annabelle is very good.... once it Mega Evolves. There's only a handful of pokes that it can safely switch in on (slow hazard setters, slow walls, etc..) But, people are aware of the Taunt + Destiny Bond combo, so the pressure can actually be reversed back onto Mega Banette very quickly. Status is another way to cripple Annabelle as well.

here's an import for those who are interested. The team is based around status and eliminating spinners and clerics, allowing wallbreaker Hydre and Scarf Rachi to clean up late game. The defensive core of Alo/Rose/Pory2 cover most relevant threats. If Banette evolves, then it can actually check physical boosters like DD Haxorus, non-ice shard Cloyster, CroCune, etc.. Replays are below as well...

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-174100207
(really tough battle that involved Scarf Ape + Specs Raikou. Hazards were key in this battle to wear down his sweepers. Priority DB takes out LO Hydre on Turn 14. Turns 19 and 20 really clinched the battle for me. At that point, it was all about stalling out Raikou and Ape)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-173726140
No Cleric? No Spinner? No problem! A very aggressive Sticky Web team that was pretty tough battle. I laid down hazards pretty quickly, but a mispredict made me lose my Annabelle way too early (Turn 11). But, the toxic took out his spinner after a DM from Hydre (originally scarfed, but is now LO). I laid down more hazards and then the only threat was Rachi at the time. Healing Wish on Turn 41 really clinched the game for me giving Hydre a new lease on life, thus sweeping the game.

I'll post more replays later..

Banette @ Banettite
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Thunder Wave
- Tri Attack
- Recover

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- Healing Wish

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Hasty Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower
- Roost

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Trick
- Iron Head
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

Ok so unfortunately I really did not have enough time to properly ladder with the mons at all this week, but I still wanted to bring one extremely fun (and effective!) Moltres set to the attention (one that isn't featured on any Smogon analyses either, and the earliest record of this set I could find was a D/P/P article). I was scrubbing around smogtours when I caught an RU game between Psychotic and FLCL, and Psychotic was using this set, which put in sooo much work, and I thought it should be pretty effective in UU too.

Poor Man's Zard Y @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Morning Sun
- Solar Beam
- Fire Blast

This thing is an absolute monster and probably one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. It generally performs best against Florges balance teams and some slower bulky offense teams (it destroys the popular Stoise/Queen core). The greatest benefit for me personally: you don't have to rely on Hurricane accuracy. Before I stumbled upon this set, Blind Bird was annoying as hell to use. Yes it had decent power (but not enough), while most waters could still scare it out as most could eat an HP Grass and still scare it out, AND you had to rely on Hurricane for secondary STAB (which just missed too much to make it worth the team slot). This set aims to cancel out some of those negative sides, while providing better wallbreaking power.

Even though most people instantly look at the 4x SR weakness, Moltres' typing really isn't too bad in terms of things you can get a free switch into. Walls like Donphan (scout for the random Head Smash though), Aggron, Hippo, Florges are all free setups for this thing. Another benefit of sun is that most Scald users are unable to 2HKO it, guaranteeing getting of a big Solar Beam hit. Morning Sun is fantastic on this set as you recover 75%(!) of your health in sun, while not losing your immunity to Ground type attacks through Roosting. Modest nature is chosen because all you really want to do with this set is hit as hard as possible, and it secures some vital OHKO's with Solar Beam on i.e. Mega Blastoise. Another cool thing about Moltres is that it can easily eat a Draco by scarf Dre, something most people use to check/revenge kill it, and instantly recover back the damage, while Dark Pulse fails to 2HKO.

Some calcs:

252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 24+ SpD Florges in Sun: 230-270 (63.8 - 75%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres Solar Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Vaporeon: 380-447 (82 - 96.5%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 322-382 (88.9 - 105.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Togekiss in Sun: 333-394 (89.2 - 105.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Life Orb Moltres Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Eviolite Porygon2 in Sun: 263-309 (70.3 - 82.6%)

and the list goes on...

I tested it this morning, and it performed rather well, besides getting haxed to death by jey. This is probably my best replay available:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-174783177

Anyway, go try it out! It's hella fun, and as long asd you keep rocks off the field and build around it you got yourself an absolute monster :]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)