Reshiram revamp (GP 2/2)

On the Choice Scarf Set:

I originally OO'd it for reasons I have stated; Kyurem-W is faster, stronger, less weather dependent, and has much better SE coverage. Though Reshiram has its nuke-like Blue Flare, it's simply outclassed in the category of revenge killer by Kyu-W due to the fact that it lacks the ability to reliably take down certain threats (252 HP Groudon isn't definitely OHKOd with Blue Flare (sun), but it is with Ice Beam) and its weather dependence. If you can't keep sun up, Reshiram loses a lot of its menace; due to the prevalence of rain in ubers, this can be a flaw that shows its face more often than not. That said, I need input; anyone who can lend an alternate voice to this would be much appreciated.

I don't mean to antagonize anyone, but the introduction to Reshiram seems rather harsh. We understand its weaknesses and it being outshined by Kyurem-W, but the intro seems to point out more cons than pros and, in turn, make the intro seem like it wants people to turn away from using it (demoting usage). A suggestion from me (optional) is to make it sound appealing, not repulsive.

The overview's purpose is to show the reader what the Pokemon has going for it, what it has against it, and why or why not the reader should use it. I quote Syrim:

I don't see too many reasons to use resh over kyu-w at all anymore. Kyu has many more switch in chances, and hits everything with its coverage that resh does pretty much.
Kyurem-W has stolen a lot of the glory that Reshiram had in BW1; as the purpose of the analysis is to express to the reader what the Pokemon does, I think it is fitting to state the cons and the pros, regardless of how it reflects on the Pokemon. If I'm trying to educate the portion of the Smogon community as to what role Reshiram plays in the metagame, I'd prefer to cast it in a harsh light than a false one.

Ok, I see. So Reshiram is obsolete and should not be used if Kyurem-W is an option, which in turn results in that extremely critical and overall negative outlook on it. And with this, it just shows that Reshiram just should not be used whatsoever under these credentials (which is a very large amount of the time). Forgive me if I am over-exaggerating.

I still disagree Kyurem-W outclassed Reshiram. Those advantages are way too big to say its outclassed. Reshiram provides so much more power in Blue Flare, it revenge kills Ghost Arceus which something Kyurem-W cannot do, is that something useless?

Blue Flare destroys Ferrothorn regardless of weather, Fusion Flare from Kyurem-W fails in rain. Since we have weather-based pokemon such as Kingdra and Venusaur, I don't see why Scarf Reshiram cannot get a set either.

Rain is more common, but are those Groudons considered uncommon? As far as I know, Groudon is still very high in usage. You get to destroy sun teams easily as a bonus, beating Ho-Oh with Stone Edge and can switch into its strongest move is amazing.

I don't know how does Kyurem-W has superior super-effective coverage at all. Kyurem-W uses Ice Beam, Draco Meteor, Fusion Flare and Focus Blast/Earth Power. Reshiram uses the exact same moves, except it has Blue Flare and drops Ice Beam for a coverage move.

Here is a list of what Reshiram revenges better with its awesome Fire-STAB, always underrated.
Arceus(Ghost, Fighting, Normal main ones.) Mewtwo, Dialga(Blue Flare destroys it in sun, weather dependent but Kyurem-W needs Focus Blast to deal major damage which Reshiram can use as well, getting stuck on Focus Blast is horrible compared to Blue Flare), Genesect(this is pretty huge, Reshiram has nothing to fear from it save Explosion), Ho-Oh( as long as you use Stone Edge or Hidden Power Rock), Mewtwo(BLUE FLARE), Heatran(rare shit but still counts)

Since you will use Groudon with Reshiram anyway, I don't see why sun should not be factored in revenge killing. Also Kyogre cannot switch into Reshiram repeatedly unless it is the Specially Defensive set which does not immediately threaten Reshiram anyway. Scarf Kyurem-W will be equally walled in this case.

I don't know why you remove the Scarf set in the first place, but I asked Jibaku and he said Scarf set does not need to be removed. Although it isn't as good as it was in the past, Scarf Reshiram definitely deserves a set.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah don't remove Scarf Reshiram, that Blue Flare is something a lot of scarfers would DIE for. Also, I wouldn't make Reshiram's overview too negative. Reshiram still has some uses over White Kyurem, such as being a better use of Substitute + Roost, and Blue Flare being absurdly strong.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
truth be told that's something i puzzled over as well, but was ultimately ambivalent about. if there is significant support for the scarf set (as seems to be the case) then put it back in.

Ok, as there has been a large amount of support for the addition of the Scarf set I'll add it.

As for the overview, I don't particularly see it as "extremely critical"; however, I'll do my best to make it more positive. Hopefully we can work something out that works for everyone.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, we are not advertising a Pokemon in Overviews; the goal is to increase our userbase's skill at battling. Giving a bunch of praise to an outclassed / "obsolete" (I don't play Ubers but I understand this is true) Pokemon doesn't do this.

Omit GP 1/2 from the title until you are finished adding Choice Scarf so we can get a new set of checks.

note that it's Ho-Oh, and there's no need for the ability: tag if the poke only has one ability. other than that, prose was great, wasn't much to change!

[Overview]

<p>Although its dual STABs are notorious for being unresisted, Reshiram's reliance on weather, lack of defensive utility, and susceptibility to hazards make it a lesser player on the Ubers scene. Additionally, the advent of BW2 did Reshiram no favors; various introductions to the Uber metagame have caused it to become relatively obsolete, the most drastic of which is Kyurem-W. Kyurem-W and Reshiram are tailored to perform similar tasks, but Reshiram's dependence on sun causes it to be, in the minds of many, outclassed. In addition; the introduction of Regenerator Ho-Oh causes more problems; if Stealth Rock isn't up, Ho-Oh can now switch into a Choice Specs Draco Meteor and switch out to a resist on the second hit; any other move on the Choice Specs set&mdash;save for the uncommon Stone Edge&mdash;can be easily weathered by the flaming turkey. Taking into account all of these drawbacks, one might wonder if there are even reason to consider using Reshiram in BW2.</p>

<p>However, the transition to BW2 wasn't completely negative for Reshiram. New move tutors give it access to two new toys, Roost and Tailwind, that enable it to step outside of its quintessential nuking role and make it less of a one-trick pony. Reshiram has also brought its excellent repertoire from BW1; after all, the ability to 2HKO the entire game isn't exactly commonplace! These changes allow Reshiram to become a versatile, powerful threat that one would be foolish to dismiss the viability of.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Blue Flare
move 3: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Choice Specs
ability: Turboblaze
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Reshiram's flagship set from BW1; carrying Choice Specs pushes Reshiram's power to new heights. Its sun-boosted Blue Flare can 2HKO even the specially defensive behemoth that is Chansey with only minor residual damage; needless to say, more common walls, such as Lugia, Giratina, Groudon, and 252/0 Arceus (with the exception of the rarely seen Arceus-Water), are blasted to bits by either of Reshiram's potent STABs. Because of this, Reshiram functions as an excellent wallbreaker; under sun, its power is so great that Blue Flare can OHKO Manaphy with no prior damage! That said, Choice Specs Reshiram has its fair share of flaws. A weakness to hazards severely limits Reshiram's ability to switch in and out freely. This is further compounded by its middling Speed, being forced out by a multitude of faster threats. Moreover, the ubiquitous Kyogre can easily stomach a Blue Flare and dampen Reshiram's Fire-type attacks to a mere ember. Overall, though, Choice Specs Reshiram is a powerful wallbreaker that every team needs to be prepared for.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because it has impeccable STAB coverage, Reshiram's coverage moves take less of a "I need to hit everything for neutral damage" role and more of a "What threats can I hit for super-effective damage?" role. For this reason, Focus Blast is the main coverage option for this set, as it allows Reshiram to wipe the floor with Tyranitar and land a solid hit on Arceus-Rock. Alternatively, one could run Stone Edge to get a solid hit on Ho-Oh. However, due to the fact that it isn't a guaranteed OHKO, Stone Edge isn't recommended. One could also run Flamethrower over Dragon Pulse for a perfectly accurate Fire STAB. However, Dragon Pulse's lack of a Special Attack drop generally proves itself to be more useful than the extra accuracy of Flamethrower.</p>

<p>Weather is unarguably the most important factor in determining Reshiram's success. As such, Groudon is a mandatory partner. Without control over weather, Reshiram will be rendered ineffective against a large portion of teams due to the ubiquity of rain. Groudon's access to Stealth Rock compounds its usefulness; Choice Specs Reshiram greatly appreciates the presence of entry hazards on the opponent's field because they aid it in breaking through common switch-ins Ho-Oh&mdash;which can no longer switch into Reshiram at 50%&mdash;, Kyogre, and Arceus-Rock. Finally, Choice Specs Reshiram's wall-shattering power makes cleaners, such as Darkrai, Mewtwo, and Choice Scarf Palkia, great partners due to their ability to easily sweep through a weakened team.</p>

[SET]
name: Offensive
move 1: Blue Flare
move 2: Draco Meteor
move 3: Roost
move 4: Outrage / Stone Edge / Tailwind
item: Life Orb
nature: Mild / Hasty
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While a Choice Specs set allows Reshiram to destroy stall, this set allows for more flexibility and greater staying power in exchange for a drop in damage output. With its new ability to switch attacks, Reshiram poses a more significant threat to slow, bulky teams, which rely on pivoting to deal with it. This set thrives on forced switches, and against a hyper offense team Reshiram's bulk often won't be enough; it's exceedingly susceptible to getting revenge killed unless it runs Tailwind or Flame Charge.</p>

<p>Due to Reshiram's impeccable two-move coverage, an all-out offensive set is redundant; unfortunately, before BW2 Reshiram lacked the movepool to run an effective 3 Attacks + Support set. BW2 gave Reshiram exactly what it wanted: Roost. With reliable recovery, Reshiram can capitalize on the switches that it causes to get rid of hazard and Life Orb damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's last moveslot is mainly filler, but the choice that fills it can define the set's potential. Outrage is the primary option, 2HKOing Chansey after Stealth Rock, 2HKOing Ho-Oh, and doing significant damage to Kyogre should Reshiram have already used Draco Meteor. Alternatively, Stone Edge is usable can be used to OHKO Ho-Oh, but Outrage is still preferable due to its ability to threaten Chansey and Kyogre. The choice of nature is the eternal speed vs power debate, Reshiram appreciates both of these qualities, but ultimately the choice is personal preference&mdash;needless to say, a Modest or a Timid nature should be used with Tailwind.</p>

<p>If one does not require a tertiary attacking move, Tailwind is also viable. Running Tailwind turns Reshiram into a momentum snatcher for its team, setting up on a forced switch and potentially sweeping. Although Modest Reshiram hits 558 Speed&mdash;which easily outspeeds most relevant threats&mdash;after a Tailwind, a Timid nature is still usable, as there will be times when Reshiram will not have time to use Tailwind. If Speed is of no concern, one could run an alternative EV spread of 80 Atk / 252 SAtk / 176 Spe, which allows Reshiram to outspeed the fastest commonly seen Ubers Choice Scarf user, Terrakion. However, 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe is generally better, because when Tailwind isn't in effect the loss in of Speed is noticeable. Running Tailwind also allows Reshiram to support its team; powerful offensive wallbreakers, such as Rayquaza, mixed Zekrom, four attacks Mewtwo, and Lustrous Orb Palkia, all become far more threatening with their Speed doubled.</p>

<p>As will always be the case with Reshiram, sun support is mandatory for this set. Without it, Blue Flare will often be gimped by rain. Despite having Roost, Reshiram still appreciates Rapid Spin support, as the more turns spent recovering, the less turns are spent attacking. Entry hazards on the opponent's field are, as always, important. They allow Reshiram to get many of the KOs that it would otherwise miss. Finally, this set also appreciates not only the aforementioned wallbreakers, but a fast cleaner that can take advantage of the holes that Reshiram makes in teams. provide examples of hazard setters / cleaners that work particularly well w/ reshiram? it's a little vague here</p>

[SET]
name: Flame Charge
move 1: Flame Charge
move 3: Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
move 4: Draco Meteor / Outrage / Stone Edge
nature: Timid / Hasty
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Yet another exploitation of Reshiram's natural power and coverage, this set aims to sweep unprepared teams through the use of Flame Charge; frail offensive teams often are simply unable to handle a Reshiram at +1. After a Flame Charge, Reshiram hits 459 Speed after a Flame Charge, this which allows it to outspeed all relevant non-Choice Scarf Ubers threats, bar Deoxys-S&mdash;which does not commonly carry moves which can impede Reshiram&mdash;and users of Chlorophyll or Swift Swim. In addition, Flame Charge's chip damage can often make a difference or force a favorable situation. Under sun, Arceus-Rock can be KOed by the combination of Flame Charge and Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock; Ferrothorn or Forretress in sunlight are forced to switch, and Reshiram gets the Speed boost either way.</p>

<p>However, common Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Palkia, can still outspeed and revenge kill +1 Reshiram; despite this, Genesect, another common Choice Scarf user, while still outspeeding Reshiram, is unable to revenge kill it without sacrificing itself with Explosion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are two main variants of Flame Charge Reshiram: mixed and special. If one decides to go mixed (i.e. use Outrage or Stone Edge in the last slot), then one of Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse has to be forgone. Draco Meteor has much higher power, allowing it to take out Choice Scarf Kyogre more easily, but its Special Attack drop is somewhat counter-intuitive with the sweeping&mdash;as opposed to nuking&mdash;nature of this set. If one chooses to run Draco Meteor, it's recommended that Outrage is run in the last slot to have a moderately powerful Dragon-type STAB on hand. Stone Edge makes another appearance, and is, again, solely for taking Ho-Oh out in a single hit, as it would otherwise be a pest, forcing Reshiram into Outrage (which does not even OHKO unless Stealth Rock is present).</p>

<p>Alternatively, one could just run a special Flame Charge variant and get the best of both worlds. Having access to Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor lets Reshiram get rid of some of its own checks before sweeping. While this is a viable strategy, it suffers from the fundamental flaw that huge block to almost all special attackers encounter: Chansey. Even under sun, Blue Flare can't 2HKO after Stealth Rock, which means Chansey can come in and PP or Toxic stall Reshiram out. Moreover, Ho-Oh is only threatened by Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock, making it a fine check. In addition to its problems with Chansey, purely special Flame Charge Reshiram is complete setup bait after it uses Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>Flame Charge is pretty much the most high-maintenance Reshiram set there is. Due to the fact that Reshiram needs to be able to OHKO or 2HKO as much many foes as possible when sweeping, sun support is, as always, mandatory. Entry hazards need to be up on the opponent field as well, for the same reason. Because this set lacks as much power as some others, it needs all the help it can get; carrying a reliable Spikes user, such as Forretress, will work wonders. On the topic of Forretress, Rapid Spin support is helpful as well; however, it's not as important as with the Choice Specs set due to the fact that the aim of this set is to sweep. That said, it is important to keep the residual damage down on Reshiram, as not only does Flame Charge expose Reshiram for a turn, but should its HP get too low, it is liable to be sniped by the myriad of priority in Ubers. For the same reason, try to bring Reshiram in off of a KO or a slow U-turn or Volt Switch to keep the extra damage down. Finally, a wallbreaker, such as Kyurem-W or Mewtwo, will help to soften up Reshiram's checks so it can sweep; this will especially help get Reshiram past Ho-Oh and Chansey, two of its most reliable checks.</p>

[SET]
name: SubRoost
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Roost
move 3: Blue Flare
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor
item: Leftovers
nature: Modest

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>On such an offensively-leaning Pokemon, one might wonder why a SubRoost set is even considered. SubRoost Reshiram is a bit of a strange notion, but in practice it works. Because Reshiram only needs two moveslots to get perfect neutral coverage, it can run SubRoost alongside its attacking moves and not lose out on any major threats. Reshiram can set up Substitutes on a multitude of defensive Pokemon, most notable Ferrothorn and Forretress, with no fear of having its Substitute broken. With Substitute, Reshiram no longer has to rely on predicting the switch-in; with a Substitute up, the opponent has to stand and fight regardless of how fast or strong they are. Because of this, SubRoost Reshiram makes a great lure to weaken its checks; use Substitute on the switch, attack while they break the sub, and switch out to a pivot. Roost allows Reshiram to recover HP lost from Substitute, hazards, and other miscellaneous damage. With the combination of Substitute and Roost, Reshiram becomes an efficient weapon against bulky teams; even with Leftovers, its attacks are fearsomely powerful.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice between Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse is one of power vs. reliability. With Draco Meteor, Reshiram has an enormous amount of immediate power, consistently being able to OHKO Kyurem-W at -2 after Stealth Rock and 2HKO offensive Dialga. However, Reshiram become a giant, flaming, sitting duck after using it due to the stat drop. On the other hand, Dragon Pulse is significantly weaker but cannot be played around like Draco Meteor, due to its consistent damage.</p>

<p>Because this set forces a lot of switches, hazards are mandatory to its success. SubRoost Reshiram excels at wearing down balanced teams that are simply unable to juggle coping with the onslaught of attacks that Reshiram throws at it and breaking Reshiram's Substitutes; as such, cleaners that can sweep crippled opponents are welcome partners. Also, SubRoost Reshiram is fairly slow. Because of this, it will struggle against offensive teams unless it has paralysis support.</p>

<p>This set is unique for being Reshiram's only set that can accomplish much of its intended goal under rain. As such, while sun support is highly recommended, it is not required; if running this set without Groudon as a partner, one should run Dragon Pulse in the last slot. The trio of Substitute, Roost, and Dragon Pulse allow Reshiram to outlast a surprising amount of foes. Because this set does not rely on sheer force to get past opponents, Leftovers is recommended to offset Substitute's HP cost. Life Orb is a feasible option to increase Reshiram's damage output; however, its recoil is not appreciated in conjunction with Substitute.</p>

[SET]
name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Focus Blast / SolarBeam

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While other Reshiram sets aim to break teams apart after their checks are gone, Sunny Day Reshiram is intended intends to lure some of those same checks in and eliminate them. By using Sunny Day, Reshiram can beat Kyogre, although variants that outspeed it, such as Choice Scarf, one needs to predict the switch-in. However, in the case of specially defensive Kyogre, Reshiram doesn't even need to predict, as it outspeeds; under sun, Kyogre deals a pitiful 15.24-18.18% with Scald. However, Reshiram will not be able to KO the same Kyogre reliably unless it is using SolarBeam. Sunny Day Reshiram plays a little more conservatively than the other sets; while they capitalize on Reshiram's power and coverage to force switches, this set focuses on eliminating its counters. Because of this, one will have to adjust their use of Reshiram accordingly. Sunny Day Reshiram has to be played carefully, as it lacks the immediate power, speed, or safety that the other sets have.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In addition to its upfront purpose, Sunny Day Reshiram also fulfills a hidden task: weather backup. If one's weather inducer (presumably Groudon) is KOed, the opponent will automatically start playing more recklessly with theirs. Once their inducer faints, Sunny Day Reshiram swoops in, creating sun for five turns and permanently eradicating the adverse weather. The illusion of not having a second inducer can be augmented by bluffing a Choice item on Reshiram through the use of Charcoal; however, the loss in power is glaring on everything but its Fire-type STAB.</p>

<p>Roost is usable for the same reasons as the offensive set. Reshiram does have a bit of bulk to its name (+1 U-turn from 252+ Genesect deals 23.75 – 28.15%), and with Roost it could act as a bulky weather pivot. That said, running Roost requires Reshiram to forgo its coverage move, which means that it'll be tough to take down Tyranitar even under sun.</p>

<p>Sunny Day Reshiram isn't meant to be a weather inducer for the team; rather, it is counter-inducer. Thus, Groudon is mandatory as a partner as usual. Plenty of hazards help Reshiram get past Kyogre and Tyranitar, as well as its old foes. Due to Sunny Day Reshiram's ability to increase one's control over weather, running sun-dependent Pokemon, such as Blaziken and Ho-Oh, is a good idea with this set.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Choice Scarf
missing evs XD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In a similar vein to Flame Charge, Choice Scarf enables Reshiram to clean through weakened opposing teams with relative ease. Though it competes with Kyurem-W, Reshiram has a potent niche as a Choice Scarf user due to its Blue Flare. Even without a boosting item, a sun-boosted Blue Flare is incredibly powerful&mdash;252/0 Arceus can be OHKOed after Stealth Rock, while Great Wall Lugia is swiftly 2HKOed. Ironically, Choice Scarf Reshiram can also check Ho-Oh with decent success due to its ability to switch in on Sacred Fire with impunity and deal heavy damage with Stone Edge. Unfortunately, Reshiram's weather dependence holds it back at times. Without a boosting item, Blue Flare loses much of its menace under rain, severely limiting the scope of opponents that it can efficiently revenge kill.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Though it's best to stick to the given set, Focus Blast could theoretically be run over Stone Edge to dent Tyranitar and Arceus-Rock. However, the extra damage does not usually warrant a slot over the ability to eliminate Ho-Oh semi-reliably. The choice between Mild and Hasty is the eternal battle between speed and power; Hasty grants Reshiram the ability to tie with other +1 base 90s, whereas Mild grants it the extra boost that is needed to get some notable KOs.</p>

<p>When using Choice Scarf Reshiram, it is of cardinal importance that one makes sure that it is not outclassed by Kyurem-W. As has been touched on (or rather, bludgeoned repeatedly) previously, Reshiram needs sun to function at the top of its game. As it is a potent cleaner, Choice Scarf Reshiram settles into a defensive sun team quite nicely, increasing the team's ability to handle threats like such as Ghost Arceus, Mewtwo, and Genesect, as well as ripping through weakened offense. Defensive sun teams are pretty much the most reliable format with which to maintain sun; as Choice Scarf Reshiram isn't as powerful as its other sets other Reshiram variants, it arguably requires weather to be in its favor the most of all of them 'it is arguably most dependent on weather'?. In addition, due to its aforementioned lowered damage output, Choice Scarf Reshiram appreciates the hazards that a stall team can get up and keep up greatly.</p>

<p>On the other hand, offensive sun also appreciates Choice Scarf Reshiram's combination of speed and power. Ironically, Reshiram forms a powerful offensive core with Kyurem-W, by breaking each other's checks. Reshiram also appreciates the wall-breakers that are so commonly found on sun offense such as?, as they weaken opposing teams&mdash;this in turn allows Reshiram to smash through the opponent by way of sheer force.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While Reshiram has other possible sets, it's best that one sticks to the trodden path. Reshiram can run a Choice Scarf set (similar to its Scarf set from BW1), but it is generally outclassed by Kyurem-W because of its weather dependence, lack of super-effective coverage, and lower Speed&mdash;although, sun-boosted Blue Flares are still extremely threatening this should probably be removed?. A lure set with Expert Belt is also feasible, but Reshiram's STABs provide neutral, not super effective, coverage. However, if one was to run such a set, a moveset of Draco Meteor, Blue Flare, Focus Blast, and Stone Edge best deals with Reshiram's most prominent checks.</p>

<p>Even farther down the factory reject line, one gets to some even stranger possibilities. Though it's highly unrecommended, Reshiram can run a dual screens set with Roost, Reflect, Light Screen, and Draco Meteor. While it works in theory, the opportunity cost is high, and it's heavily outclassed in practice by Deoxys-S and Latios due to their higher Speed and better utility moves.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although Reshiram might not have counters in the strictest definition of the word, specially defensive Kyogre and Arceus-Water come pretty damn close. Without Stealth Rock down,(comma) the only set that can hope to best them is Sunny Day Reshiram with SolarBeam, although Kyogre will also fall to Outrage. Even Chansey can't switch in safely, for fear of being 2HKOed by Blue Flare after Stealth Rock. However, Reshiram loses a lot of its menace when it doesn't have sun, and even more is lost when it's raining. Once the weather has been changed, Chansey and Blissey can both safely avoid a 2HKO from Choice Specs Reshiram and stall it out. Ho-Oh and Arceus-Rock under sand can also defeat Reshiram handily with conditions their way, but Ho-Oh's Stealth Rock weakness and Arceus-Rock's susceptibility to Focus Blast mean that they are not strict counters. Tank Tyranitar can weather both Blue Flare and Draco Meteor, but falls to Focus Blast.</p>

<p>Palkia, Kyurem-W, Terrakion, Latias, and Choice Scarf Kyogre can all revenge kill Choice Specs and offensive Reshiram, but it's hard to get them in. Flame Charge Reshiram can still be taken down by Scarf Kyurem-W, Scarf Terrakion, and Scarf Palkia faster Choice Scarf Pokemon, namely Kyurem-W, Terrakion, and Palkia. However, if against an Offensive Reshiram that uses Tailwind on the switch, one will often struggle to deal with it offensively one will often struggle to deal offensively with an offensive Reshiram that uses Tailwind on the switch. Reshiram's perfect two-move coverage between two moves means that it can almost always hit one move's viable switch-ins to one move for enormous damage with the other move. That said, it's rather slow, so if one can get something in that can hurt it, it's pretty easy to force Reshiram out.</p>

<p>Finally, Reshiram is quite susceptible to residual damage. Sandstorm, Life Orb recoil, and entry hazards all lower its life expectancy considerably. Exploit its weakness to hazards, and Reshiram will fall quickly. Conversely, it's recommended that if Reshiram is on the opponent's team, try to keep hazards off the field. Getting extra HP chipped away can compromise a wall's ability to continuously switch into Reshiram. Finally, Toxic poison is a viable option for dealing with Reshiram; Chansey can poison it and stall it out with Softboiled.</p>
i actually don't think this needs a third check so i'm going to 2/2 it for now

I think SolarBeam should be the primary option over Focus Blast on the Sunny Day set as it hits your main targets for super effective damage. By main targets, I mean Kyogre, Arceus-Water, Tyranitar, and Arceus-Rock. Focus Blast only hits the latter two. Chansey and Blissey will still stand no chance of surviving this set as you will be able to guarantee the sun up and with a few entry hazards down, Blue Flare is a sure 2HKO on both the blobs.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The following things need to happen here:

- The Overview needs to be rewritten

- The Scarf set needs EVs

- Implement sirn's GP check

Let's get it done please

syrim

1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1x1
I'm really not sure if there is a realistic situation that I would use Flame charge over tailwind.

Against offensive teams, you are far more likely to face threats that outspeed you at +1, such as dangerous scarfers. You are also far more likely to either die, or be forced to switch, to priority users, namely exkiller.

252+ Atk Life Orb Arceus-Normal ExtremeSpeed vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Reshiram: 196-231 (57.47 - 67.74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Standard Flame Charge Resh, kos after SR and a round of LO.)

Tailwind's ability to allow you to switch to another offensive check and retain momentum far outweighs its limited number of turns. SR weakness, LO, the drops from Dmeteor, and the number of things that can still force you out, make this even more exaggerated in my opinion.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ugh what a failure I've been, I really should have gone through a full nitpicking of this way earlier, sorry for causing you trouble!

I'll be honest I don't mind the Offensive set and Flame Charge set just being merged, with Flame Charge being mentioned in Additional Comments. It isn't bad, but it isn't something you sweep with often either. It's sorta like how RP Genesect is currently in AC: Its very workable and CAN sweep in certain situations, but it probably isn't going to be your main goal for Reshiram either since just spamming Blue Flare requires much less support. Mention Dragon Pulse in AC too for being used over Roost if you want to have a better chance of "sweeping" with Flame Charge or Tailwind Reshira.

Also what Oglemi means by a new overview is that you don't really focus enough on Reshiram's selling points over White Kyurem and Ho-Oh, which is important since you need to communicate reasons why a team would use Reshiram over (or with in some cases) those two:

-BLUE FLARE IN THE SUN! This is the most defining point of Reshiram over other Dragons and Firemons, Blue Flare is the sun is insanely powerful, and when factoring STAB + Sun, is a 292 base power move. The only other more immediate powerful special move you'll commonly find in Ubers is Kyogre's Water Spout in the rain!

-Some of Reshiram's resistances let it deal with some things better than White Kyurem, mainly the Steel and 4x Fire resist. The Steel resistance might not seem like much, but it means that Reshiram is MUCH harder for Genesect to revenge than White Kyurem. Choice Scarf Genesect is usually forced to Explode vs Reshiram, while Iron Head is bad news for White Kyurem. It also allows Reshiram to laugh at Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball, which is seen on around 34% of Ferrothorn as of December's usage stats, so there is less risk in switching Reshiram into Ferrothorn. Reshiram also doesn't care about Bullet Punch from Scizor, but that isn't too common anymore anyways so you probably don't need to mention it. The 4x Fire resistance can be pretty useful for sun teams, even though most Firemons have something to badly hurt Reshiram with. While not being weak to Fighting is cool, that should probably only be mentioned on Scarf Reshiram, because the other Reshiram are slower than the mons that tend to use Fighting moves.

-The Dragon STAB, which allows you to hit non SpD Kyogre hard without resorting to Brave Bird recoil. Yes, Ho-Oh generally lasts longer anyways because of regen + crazy SpD, but the recoil factor can be something that's used against Ho-Oh at times. Also, this allows you to destroy Giratina without having to use Substitute and fearing Roar Giratina. And of course, if you don't win the weather war, you still at least have a powerful Draco Meteor.

-You might as well get rid of all the "BW1" and "BW2" mentions, B2W2 is sorta old news at this point.

-Also, you forgot a flaw in the overview: Reshiram's base 90 Speed, which is extremely annoying like it is to most base 90 Ubers, especially since White Kyurem has base 95.

Now for the rest of the sets... I don't think you need to add too much here, but I still have some stuff for you!

Choice Specs

-Mention that Modest Blue Flare does 45-53% to Ho-Oh in the sun, which means that as long as Stealth Rock stays up. not even Regenerator can save it! Also, Draco Meteor does 77-91% to maximum HP Kyogre, which is pretty great for a sun Pokemon. Hell, Dragon Pulse does 5-58% as well!

-You should probably mention Rapid Spin / Magic Bounce support, since Specs has to switch out a lot.

Offensive

-Besides the stuff I mentioned above, this is THE set to have paralysis support for, since Reshiram isn't locked into anything. So stuff like Grass Arceus (who lures out Latias btw which is pretty nice), Ferrothorn, Groudon (duh), and Dialga can be nice here.

Choice Scarf

-This may sound weird... but slash Outrage with Dragon Pulse. Yeah I know 4atk Outrage with just Scarf is pretty lame, but this is the ONLY way you can OHKO a +1 Latias after SR damage. Also, Scarf Reshiram usually cleans with Blue Flare anyways, but I'm fine with Dragon Pulse remaining the first slash because it can help clean some weakened teams if you lose the sun.

I implemented everything but the minor changes on the sets, tmon. I have to get to bed, but I'll finish editing tomorrow. With any luck, we'll finally be finished by then.

[EDIT]: I finished implementing the changes that Theorymon suggested. This is my first time writing one of these, so I'm unsure as to what to do now; if I can mark it as "Done" and be done with it, please tell me. Otherwise, if someone could explain the steps I need to take now that would be great.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Is there a reason to use Flame Charge over Tailwind?
P
Flame charge is a permanent boost (at least until you switch) tailwind is only 4 turns.

Jackm since there were so many changes I think another gp check would be appropriate, but I'm not a gp member so... These are my two cents that lack credibility x_X

Amateur check :) Omitted words are in red. Added or rewritten words are in blue. I tried to keep changes to a minimum.

[Overview]

<p>Although its dual STABs are notorious for being unresisted, Reshiram's reliance on weather, lack of defensive utility and susceptibility to hazards make it a lesser player on the Ubers scene. Additionally, Reshiram has to compete with Kyurem-W for the position of "Dragon-type special nuke" on a team. In the minds of many, Kyurem-W's extra power, better speed tier and lack of weather dependence overshadow the ridiculous power of Reshiram's sun-boosted Blue Flare. The introduction of Regenerator Ho-Oh causes more problems for poor Reshiram. If Stealth Rock isn't up, Ho-Oh can now switch into a Choice Specs Draco Meteor and switch out to a resist on the second hit; any other move on the Choice Specs set&mdash;save for the uncommon Stone Edge&mdash;can easily be batted aside by the flaming turkey. Taking into account all of these drawbacks, one might wonder if there is any reason to consider using it in BW2.</p>

<p>However, this mindset is simply incorrect. Reshiram's combination of Roost and Tailwind means that it can step outside of its usual nuking role and provide support for its team. This is augmented by Reshiram's superior defensive typing, which allows it to stand up to sun-boosted Fire-type attacks, Genesect, and Ferrothorn&mdash;all things that threaten Kyurem-W immensely. That said, Reshiram's defining factor is its massively powerful Blue Flare. After the boosts from sun and STAB, Blue Flare hits 292.5 net base power; with the exception of Kyogre's Water Spout, it's the most powerful commonly seen special attack in Ubers! Reshiram's Dragon-type STAB also comes in handy for hitting the multitude of fire resists in Ubers, giving Reshiram an edge over Ho-oh against Kyogre and Giratina. Altogether, Reshiram is a versatile, powerful threat that one would be foolish to dismiss prematurely.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Reshiram's flagship set from BW1; Choice Specs pushes Reshiram's power to new heights. Its sun-boosted Blue Flare can 2HKO even the specially defensive behemoth that is Chansey with only minor residual damage; needless to say, more common walls, such as Lugia, Giratina, Groudon, and 252 / 0 Arceus (with the exception of the rarely seen Water-Arceus), are blasted to bits by either of Reshiram's potent STABs. Due to this, Reshiram functions as an excellent wallbreaker; under sun, its power is so great that Blue Flare can OHKO Manaphy with no prior damage! That said, Choice Specs Reshiram has its fair share of flaws. A weakness to hazards severely limits Reshiram's ability to switch in and out freely. This is further compounded by its middling Speed, causing it to be forced out by a multitude of faster threats. Moreover, the ubiquitous Kyogre can easily stomach a Blue Flare and dampen Reshiram's Fire-type attacks to a mere ember. Overall, though, Choice Specs Reshiram is a powerful wallbreaker that every team needs to be prepared for.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because it has impeccable STAB coverage, Reshiram's coverage moves take less of a "I need to hit everything for neutral damage" role and more of a "What threats can I hit for super-effective damage?" role. For this reason, Focus Blast is the main coverage option for this set, as it allows Reshiram to wipe the floor with Tyranitar and land a solid hit on Arceus-Rock. Alternatively, one could run Stone Edge to get a solid hit on Ho-Oh, regardless of prior damage. That said, both of Reshiram's STABs can KO after Stealth Rock&mdash;despite its resistance, Ho-Oh takes 45-53% from a sun-boosted Blue Flare&mdash;and Stone Edge isn't a guaranteed KO. Because of this, Stone Edge is generally not recommended. One could also run Flamethrower over Dragon Pulse for a perfectly accurate Fire STAB. However, Dragon Pulse's lack of a Special Attack drop generally proves itself to be more useful than the extra accuracy of Flamethrower.</p>

<p>Weather is inarguably the most important factor in determining Reshiram's success. As such, Groudon is a mandatory partner. Without control over weather, Reshiram will be rendered ineffective against a large portion of teams due to the ubiquity of rain. Groudon's access to Stealth Rock compounds its usefulness; Choice Specs Reshiram greatly appreciates the presence of entry hazards on the opponent's field because they aid it in breaking through common switch-ins Ho-Oh&mdash;which can no longer switch into Reshiram at 50%&mdash;, Kyogre, and Arceus-Rock. A spinner or Magic Bouncer is also important to this set, due to its reliance on Reshiram's ability to switch in, hit hard, and switch out. Finally, Choice Specs Reshiram's wall-shattering power makes cleaners, such as Darkrai, Mewtwo and Choice Scarf Palkia, great partners due to their ability to easily sweep through a weakened team.</p>

[SET]
move 2: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 3: Tailwind / Roost
move 4: Outrage / Stone Edge / Roost

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While a Choice Specs set allows Reshiram to destroy stall, this set allows for more flexibility and greater staying power in exchange for a drop in damage output. With its new ability to switch attacks, Reshiram poses a more significant threat to slow, bulky teams, which rely on pivoting to deal with it. This set thrives on forced switches, and against a hyper offense team Reshiram's bulk often won't be enough; it's exceedingly susceptible to getting revenge killed unless it runs Tailwind or Flame Charge.</p>

<p>Due to Reshiram's impeccable two-move coverage, an all-out offensive set is redundant; unfortunately, before BW2 Reshiram lacked the movepool to run an effective 3-Attacks + Support set. BW2 gave Reshiram exactly what it wanted: Roost. With reliable recovery, Reshiram can capitalize on the switches that it causes to get rid of hazard and Life Orb damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's third moveslot, its support move, is one of the defining factors that determine how the set will play. Running Tailwind turns Reshiram into a momentum-snatcher for its team, setting up on a forced switch and potentially sweeping. Although Modest Reshiram hits 558 Speed&mdash;which easily outspeeds most relevant threats&mdash;after a Tailwind, a Timid nature is still usable, as there will be times when Reshiram will not have time to use Tailwind. If maximum Speed is of no concern, one could run an alternative EV spread of 80 Atk / 252 SAtk / 176 Spe, which allows Reshiram to outspeed the fastest commonly seen Ubers Choice Scarf user: Terrakion. However, 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe is generally better, because when Tailwind isn't in effect the loss of Speed is noticeable. Running Tailwind also allows Reshiram to support its team; powerful offensive wallbreakers such as Rayquaza, mixed Zekrom, four attacks Mewtwo, and Lustrous Orb Palkia, all become far more threatening with their Speed doubled. Alternatively, Roost can be run to greatly increase Reshiram's longevity; between hazards, Life Orb, and miscellaneous attacks, Reshiram's HP will drop quickly without it. Running Roost will transform Reshiram from being a sweeper to being a tank, taking hits, healing up, and returning fire.</p>

<p>As for the last slot, the main choice is between Outrage and Stone Edge. While Stone Edge allows Reshiram to annihilate Ho-Oh, Outrage is generally the better option due to its increased power against Latias, Chansey, and others. It can also serve as a backup sweeping tool if one is running Draco Meteor, as a Reshiram at -2 SpA will often want a solid STAB option to continue a sweep if it needs to. If one is running Tailwind in the third slot, Roost becomes a viable option as well. Running the combination of Roost and Tailwind will turn Reshiram into a team supporter capable of facilitating sweeps repeatedly. However, the lack in coverage is noticeable and generally Outrage or Stone Edge will be of more use.</p>

<p>As will always be the case with Reshiram, sun support is mandatory for this set. Without it, Blue Flare will often be weakened by rain. Despite having Roost, Reshiram still appreciates Rapid Spin support, as the more turns it spends recovering, the less turns it spends attacking. Entry hazards on the opponent's field are, as always, important. They allow Reshiram to get many of the KOs that it would otherwise miss. Paralysis is also incredibly important, especially if one isn't running Tailwind. Due to Reshiram's moderately low 90 base speed, it needs the support to perform at its best; Groudon, Dialga, Grass Arceus, and Ferrothorn can all spread this helpful status reliably. Finally, this set also appreciates not only the aforementioned wallbreakers, but a fast cleaner that can take advantage of the holes that Reshiram makes in teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Yet another exploitation of Reshiram's natural power and coverage, this set aims to sweep unprepared teams through the use of Flame Charge; frail offensive teams are often simply unable to handle a Reshiram at +1. Reshiram hits 459 Speed after a Flame Charge, which allows it to outspeed all relevant non-Choice Scarf Ubers threats, bar Deoxys-S&mdash;which does not commonly carry moves which can impede Reshiram&mdash;and users of Chlorophyll or Swift Swim. In addition, Flame Charge's chip damage can often make the difference that causes a favorable situation. Under sun, Arceus-Rock can be KOed by the combination of Flame Charge and Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock; Ferrothorn or Forretress in sunlight are forced to switch, and Reshiram gets the Speed boost either way.</p>

<p>However, common Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Palkia, can still outspeed and revenge kill +1 Reshiram; despite this, Genesect, another common Choice Scarf user, while still outspeeding Reshiram, is unable to revenge kill it without sacrificing itself with Explosion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are two main variants of Flame Charge Reshiram: mixed and special. If one decides to go mixed (i.e. use Outrage or Stone Edge in the last slot), then one of Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse has to be forgone. Draco Meteor has much higher power, allowing it to take out Choice Scarf Kyogre with relative ease, but its Special Attack drop is somewhat counter-intuitive with the sweeping&mdash;as opposed to nuking&mdash;nature of this set. If one chooses to run Draco Meteor, it's recommended that Outrage is run in the last slot to have a moderately powerful Dragon-type STAB on hand. Stone Edge makes another appearance, and is, again, solely for taking out Ho-Oh in a single hit, as it would otherwise be a pest, forcing Reshiram into Outrage (which does not even OHKO unless Stealth Rock is present).</p>

<p>Alternatively, one could just run a special Flame Charge variant and get the best of both worlds. Having access to Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor lets Reshiram get rid of some of its own checks before sweeping. While this is a viable strategy, it suffers from the huge block to almost all special attackers: Chansey. Even under sun, Blue Flare can't 2HKO after Stealth Rock, which means Chansey can come in and PP or Toxic stall Reshiram out. Moreover, Ho-Oh is only threatened by Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock, making it a fine check. In addition to its problems with Chansey, purely special Flame Charge Reshiram is complete setup bait after it uses Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>Flame Charge is pretty much the most high-maintenance Reshiram set there is. Due to the fact that Reshiram needs to be able to OHKO or 2HKO as many foes as possible when sweeping, sun support is as always mandatory. Entry hazards need to be up on the opponent field as well, for the same reason. Because this set lacks as much power as some others, it needs all the help it can get; carrying a reliable Spikes user, such as Forretress, will work wonders. On the topic of Forretress, Rapid Spin support is helpful as well; however, it's not as important as with the Choice Specs set due to the fact that the aim of this set is to sweep. That said, it is important to keep the residual damage to a minimum on Reshiram, as not only does Flame Charge expose Reshiram for a turn, but should its HP get too low, it is liable to be sniped by the myriad of priority moves in Ubers. For the same reason, try to bring Reshiram in off of a KO or a slow U-Turn or Volt Switch to keep the extra damage at bay. Finally, a wallbreaker such as Kyurem-W or Mewtwo will help to soften up Reshiram's checks so it can sweep; this will especially help get Reshiram past Ho-Oh and Chansey, two of its most reliable checks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>On such an offensively-oriented Pokemon, one might wonder why a SubRoost set is even considered. SubRoost Reshiram is a bit of a strange notion, but in practice it works. Because Reshiram only needs two moveslots to get perfect neutral coverage, it can run SubRoost alongside its attacking moves and not lose out on any major threats. Reshiram can set up Substitutes on a multitude of defensive Pokemon, most notably Ferrothorn and Forretress, with no fear of having its Substitute broken. With Substitute, Reshiram no longer has to rely on predicting the switch-in; with a Substitute up, the opponent has to stand and fight regardless of how fast or strong they are. Because of this, SubRoost Reshiram makes a great lure to weaken its checks; use Substitute on the switch, attack while they break the sub, and switch out to a pivot. Roost allows Reshiram to recover HP lost from Substitute, hazards, and other miscellaneous damage. With the combination of Substitute and Roost, Reshiram becomes an efficient weapon against bulky teams; even with Leftovers, its attacks are fearsomely powerful.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice between Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse is one of power vs. reliability. With Draco Meteor, Reshiram has an enormous amount of immediate power, consistently being able to OHKO Kyurem-W at -2 after Stealth Rock and 2HKO offensive Dialga. However, Reshiram becomes a giant, flaming, sitting duck after using it due to the stat drop. On the other hand, Dragon Pulse is significantly weaker but cannot be played around like Draco Meteor, due to its consistent damage.</p>

<p>Because this set forces a lot of switches, hazards are mandatory to its success. SubRoost Reshiram excels at wearing down balanced teams that are simply unable to juggle coping with Reshiram's onslaught and breaking Reshiram's Substitutes; as such, cleaners that can sweep crippled opponents are welcome partners. Also, SubRoost Reshiram is fairly slow. Because of this, it will struggle against offensive teams unless it has paralysis support.</p>

<p>This set is unique for being Reshiram's only set that can accomplish much of its intended goal under rain. As such, while sun support is highly recommended, it is not required; if running this set without Groudon as a partner, one should run Dragon Pulse in the last slot. The trio of Substitute, Roost, and Dragon Pulse allow Reshiram to outlast a surprising number of foes. Because this set does not rely on sheer force to get past opponents, Leftovers is recommended to offset Substitute's HP cost. Life Orb is a feasible option to increase Reshiram's damage output; however, its recoil is not appreciated in conjunction with Substitute.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While other Reshiram sets aim to break teams apart after their checks are gone, Sunny Day Reshiram intends to lure some of those same checks in and eliminate them. By using Sunny Day, Reshiram can beat Kyogre, although with variants that outspeed it, such as Choice Scarf, one needs to predict the switch-in. However, in the case of specially defensive Kyogre, Reshiram doesn't even need to predict, as it outspeeds the ogre; under sun, Kyogre deals a pitiful 15.24-18.18% with Scald. However, Reshiram will not be able to KO the same Kyogre reliably unless it is using SolarBeam. Sunny Day Reshiram plays a little more conservatively than the other sets; while they capitalize on Reshiram's power and coverage to force switches, this set focuses on eliminating its counters. Because of this, one will have to adjust their use of Reshiram accordingly. Sunny Day Reshiram has to be played carefully, as it lacks the immediate power, speed, or safety that the other sets have.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In addition to its upfront purpose, Sunny Day Reshiram also fulfills a hidden task: weather backup. If one's weather inducer (presumably Groudon) is KOed, the opponent will automatically start playing more recklessly with theirs. Once their inducer faints, Sunny Day Reshiram swoops in, creating sun for five turns and permanently eradicating the adverse weather. The illusion of not having a second inducer can be augmented by bluffing a Choice item on Reshiram through the use of Charcoal; however, the loss in power is obvious on everything but its Fire-type STAB.</p>

<p>Roost is usable for the same reasons as the offensive set. Reshiram does have a bit of bulk to its name (+1 U-turn from Max Attack Genesect deals 23.75 – 28.15%), and with Roost it could act as a bulky weather pivot. However, running Roost requires Reshiram to forgo its coverage move, which means that it'll be tough to take down Tyranitar even under sun.</p>

<p>Sunny Day Reshiram isn't meant to be a weather inducer for the team; rather, it is a counter-inducer. Thus, Groudon is a great partner as usual. Plenty of hazards help Reshiram get past Kyogre and Tyranitar, as well as its old foes. Due to Sunny Day Reshiram's ability to increase one's control over weather, running sun-dependent Pokemon, such as Blaziken and Ho-Oh, is a good idea with this set.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Dragon Pulse / Outrage

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In a similar vein to Flame Charge, Choice Scarf enables Reshiram to clean up weakened opposing teams with relative ease. Though it competes with Kyurem-W, Reshiram has a potent niche as a Choice Scarf user due to its Blue Flare. Even without a boosting item, a sun-boosted Blue Flare is incredibly powerful&mdash;252/0 Arceus can be OHKOed after Stealth Rock, while Great Wall Lugia is swiftly 2HKOed. Ironically, Choice Scarf Reshiram can also check Ho-Oh with decent success due to its ability to switch in on Sacred Fire with impunity and deal heavy damage with Stone Edge. Unfortunately, Reshiram's weather dependence holds it back at times. Without a boosting item, Blue Flare loses much of its power under rain, severely limiting the scope of opponents that it can effectively revenge kill.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Dragon Pulse is useful for cleaning weakened teams regardless of weather, Outrage is a viable option due to its ability to OHKO Latias after Stealth Rock. Though Outrage doesn't hurt when it's coming unboosted from a 4 Atk 120 base Attack stat, not much is lost due to the fact that Scarf Reshiram is better off cleaning with Blue Flare lategame. Basically, if you need to be able to revenge kill Latias, run Outrage; otherwise, Dragon Pulse is your best bet.</p>

<p>Though it's best to stick to the given set, Focus Blast could theoretically be run over Stone Edge to dent Tyranitar and Arceus-Rock. However, the extra damage does not usually warrant a slot over the ability to eliminate Ho-Oh semi-reliably. The choice between Mild and Hasty is a dilemmatic choice between speed and power; Hasty grants Reshiram the ability to tie with other +1 base 90s, whereas Mild grants it the extra boost that is needed to get some notable KOs.</p>

<p>When using Choice Scarf Reshiram, it is of cardinal importance that one makes sure that it is not outclassed by Kyurem-W. As has been touched on (or rather, persistently reiterated) previously, Reshiram needs sun to function at the top of its game. As it is a potent cleaner, Choice Scarf Reshiram settles into a defensive sun team quite nicely, increasing the team's ability to handle threats such as Ghost Arceus, Mewtwo, and Genesect, as well as ripping through weakened offense. Defensive sun teams are pretty much the most reliable format with which to maintain sun; as Choice Scarf Reshiram isn't as powerful as other Reshiram variants, it is arguably the most dependent on weather. In addition, due to its aforementioned lowered damage output, Choice Scarf Reshiram appreciates the hazards that a stall team can get up and keep up greatly.</p>

<p>On the other hand, offensive sun also appreciates Choice Scarf Reshiram's combination of speed and power. Ironically, Reshiram forms a powerful offensive core with Kyurem-W by breaking each other's checks. Reshiram also appreciates the wall-breakers that are so commonly found on sun offense, such as Palkia, Rayquaza, and Ho-Oh, as they weaken opposing teams&mdash;this in turn allows Reshiram to break through the opponent using sheer force.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While Reshiram has other possible sets, it's best that one sticks to the worn path. Reshiram can run a Choice Scarf set (similar to its Scarf set from BW1), but it is generally outclassed by Kyurem-W because of its weather dependence, lack of super-effective coverage, and lower speed. A lure set with Expert Belt is also feasible, but Reshiram's STABs provide neutral, not super effective, coverage. However, if one were to run such a set, a moveset of Draco Meteor, Blue Flare, Focus Blast, and Stone Edge best deals with Reshiram's most prominent checks.</p>

<p>Even farther down the factory reject line, one encounters some even stranger possibilities. Though it's highly unrecommended, Reshiram can run a dual screens set with Roost, Reflect, Light Screen, and Draco Meteor. While it works in theory, the opportunity cost is high, and it's heavily outclassed in practice by Deoxys-S and Latios due to their higher Speed and better utility moves.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although Reshiram might not have counters in the strictest definition of the word, specially defensive Kyogre and Arceus-Water come pretty damn close. Without Stealth Rock down, the only set that can hope to best them is Sunny Day Reshiram with SolarBeam, although Kyogre will also fall to Outrage. Even Chansey can't switch in safely, for fear of being 2HKOed by Blue Flare after Stealth Rock. However, Reshiram loses a lot of its power when it doesn't have sun, and even more when it's raining. Once the weather has been changed, Chansey and Blissey can both safely avoid a 2HKO from Choice Specs Reshiram and stall it out. Ho-Oh and Arceus-Rock under sand can also defeat Reshiram handily with conditions going their way, but Ho-Oh's Stealth Rock weakness and Arceus-Rock's susceptibility to Focus Blast mean that they are not strict counters. Tank Tyranitar can stomach both Blue Flare and Draco Meteor, but falls to Focus Blast.</p>

<p>Palkia, Kyurem-W, Terrakion, Latias, and Choice Scarf Kyogre can all revenge kill Choice Specs and offensive Reshiram, but it's hard to get them in. Flame Charge Reshiram can still be taken down by faster Choice Scarf Pokemon, namely Kyurem-W, Terrakion, and Palkia. However, one will often struggle to deal offensively with an offensive Reshiram that uses Tailwind on the switch. Reshiram's perfect two-move coverage means that it can almost always hit viable switch-ins with one move for enormous damage with the other move. However, it's rather slow, so if one can get something in that can hurt it, it's quite easy to force Reshiram out.</p>

<p>Finally, Reshiram is quite susceptible to residual damage. Sandstorm, Life Orb recoil, and entry hazards all lower its life expectancy considerably. Exploit its weakness to hazards and Reshiram will fall quickly. Conversely, it's recommended that if Reshiram is on the opponent's team, try to keep hazards off your side of the field. Getting extra HP chipped away can compromise a wall's ability to continuously switch into Reshiram. Finally, Toxic poison is a viable option for dealing with Reshiram; Chansey can poison it and stall it out with Softboiled.</p

I mostly implemented the above check, with the exception of about half a dozen places where I felt that it was just a stylistic thing that didn't really need to be changed. I also edited some of the entries slightly, but overall it should resemble the check.

Also, I didn't realize it until just now but CS was still in OO. lol

On a more serious note, if I could get a final official check so we can get this up, that would be great.

Edit: I didn't put in gimp (Poppy did with my first GP check) and my stating that "x loses its menace" was apparently a colloquial tendency. I applied the changes that I previously ignored; I apologize for any ignorance I may have displayed.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Although its dual STABs are notorious for being unresisted, Reshiram's reliance on weather, lack of defensive utility, and susceptibility to hazards make it a lesser player on the Ubers scene. Additionally, Reshiram has to compete with Kyurem-W for the position of "Dragon-type special nuke." In the minds of many, Kyurem-W's extra power, better Speed tier, and lack of weather dependence overshadow the ridiculous power of Reshiram's sun-boosted Blue Flare. The introduction of Regenerator Ho-Oh causes more problems. If Stealth Rock isn't up, Ho-Oh can now switch into a Choice Specs Draco Meteor and switch out to a resist on the second hit; any other move on the Choice Specs set&mdash;save for the uncommon Stone Edge&mdash;can be easily weathered by the flaming turkey. Taking into account all of these drawbacks, one might wonder if there is any reason to consider using it in BW2.</p>

<p>However, this mindset is simply incorrect. Fortunately, Reshiram's combination of Roost and Tailwind means that it can step outside of its traditional nuking role and provide support for its team. This is augmented by Reshiram's superior defensive typing, which allows it to stand up to sun-boosted Fire-type attacks, Genesect, and Ferrothorn&mdash;all things that threaten Kyurem-W immensely. That said, Reshiram's defining factor is its massively powerful Blue Flare. After the boosts from sun and STAB, Blue Flare hits 292.5 net Base Power; with the exception of Kyogre's Water Spout, it's the most powerful commonly seen special attack in Ubers! Reshiram's Dragon-type STAB also comes in handy for hitting the multitude of Fire resists in Ubers, giving Reshiram an edge over Ho-Oh against Kyogre and Giratina. Altogether, Reshiram is a versatile, powerful threat that one would be foolish to dismiss the viability of.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This is Reshiram's flagship set from BW1; Choice Specs pushes Reshiram's power to new heights. Its sun-boosted Blue Flare can 2HKO even the specially defensive behemoth that is Chansey with only minor residual damage; needless to say, more common walls, such as Lugia, Giratina, Groudon, and 252 / 0 Arceus (with the exception of the rarely seen Water Arceus), are blasted to bits by either of Reshiram's potent STABs. Because of this, Reshiram functions as an excellent wallbreaker; under sun, its power is so great that Blue Flare can OHKO Manaphy with no prior damage! That said, Choice Specs Reshiram has its fair share of flaws. A weakness to entry hazards severely limits Reshiram's ability to switch in and out freely. This is further compounded by its middling Speed, which leads to Reshiram being forced out by a multitude of faster threats. Moreover, the ubiquitous Kyogre can easily stomach a Blue Flare and dampen Reshiram's Fire-type attacks to a mere ember. Overall, though, Choice Specs Reshiram is a powerful wallbreaker that every team needs to be prepared for.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because it has impeccable STAB coverage, Reshiram's coverage moves take less of a "I need to hit everything for neutral damage" role and more of a "What threats can I hit for super effective damage?" role. For this reason, Focus Blast is the main coverage option for this set, as it allows Reshiram to wipe the floor with Tyranitar and land a solid hit on Rock Arceus. Alternatively, one could run Stone Edge to get a solid hit on Ho-Oh, regardless of prior damage. That said, both of Reshiram's STABs can KO after Stealth Rock&mdash;despite its resistance, Ho-Oh takes 45-53% from a sun-boosted Blue Flare&mdash;and Stone Edge isn't a guaranteed KO. Because of this, Stone Edge is generally not recommended. One could also run Flamethrower over Dragon Pulse for a perfectly accurate Fire STAB. However, Dragon Pulse's lack of a Special Attack drop generally proves itself to be more useful than the extra accuracy of Flamethrower.</p>

<p>Weather is unarguably the most important factor in determining Reshiram's success. As such, Groudon is a mandatory partner. Without control over weather, Reshiram will be rendered ineffective against a large portion of teams due to the ubiquity of rain. Groudon's access to Stealth Rock compounds its usefulness; Choice Specs Reshiram greatly appreciates the presence of entry hazards on the opponent's field because they aid it in breaking through common switch-ins such as Ho-Oh&mdash;which can no longer switch into Reshiram at 50%&mdash;Kyogre, and Rock Arceus. A spinner or Magic Bounce user is also important to this set, due to its reliance on Reshiram's ability to switch in, hit hard, and switch out. Finally, Choice Specs Reshiram's wall-shattering power makes cleaners, such as Darkrai, Mewtwo, and Choice Scarf Palkia, great partners due to their ability to easily sweep through a weakened team.</p>

[SET]
move 2: Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
move 3: Tailwind / Roost
move 4: Outrage / Stone Edge / Roost

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Due to Reshiram's impeccable two-move coverage, an all-out offensive set is redundant; unfortunately, before BW2 Reshiram lacked the movepool to run an effective 3 attacks + support set. BW2 gave Reshiram exactly what it wanted: Roost. With reliable recovery, Reshiram can capitalize on the switches that it causes to get rid of hazard and Life Orb damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>This set's third moveslot, its support move, is one of the defining factors that determine how the set will play. Running Tailwind turns Reshiram into a momentum snatcher for its team, setting up on a forced switch and potentially sweeping. Although Modest Reshiram hits 558 Speed&mdash;which easily outspeeds most relevant threats&mdash;after a Tailwind, a Timid nature is still usable, as there will be times when Reshiram will not have time to use Tailwind. If maximum Speed is of no concern, one could run an alternative EV spread of 80 Atk / 252 SpA / 176 Spe, which allows Reshiram to outspeed the fastest commonly seen Ubers Choice Scarf user, Terrakion. However, 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe is generally better, because when Tailwind isn't in effect the loss of Speed is noticeable. Running Tailwind also allows Reshiram to support its team; powerful offensive wallbreakers, such as Rayquaza, mixed Zekrom, four attacks Mewtwo, and Lustrous Orb Palkia, all become far more threatening with their Speed doubled. Alternatively, Roost can be run to increase Reshiram's longevity greatly; between hazards, Life Orb, and miscellaneous attacks, Reshiram's HP will drop quickly without it. Running Roost will transform Reshiram from a sweeper to a tank, taking hits, healing up, and returning fire.</p>

<p>As for the last slot, the main choice is between Outrage and Stone Edge. While Stone Edge allows Reshiram to annihilate Ho-Oh, Outrage is generally the better option due to its increased power against Latias, Chansey, and others. It can also serve as a backup sweeping tool if one is running Draco Meteor, as a Reshiram at -2 SpA will often want a solid STAB option to continue a sweep if need be. If one is running Tailwind in the third slot, Roost becomes a viable option in the last slot as well. Running the combination of Roost and Tailwind will turn Reshiram into a team supporter capable of facilitating sweeps repeatedly. However, the lack in coverage is noticeable and generally Outrage or Stone Edge will be of more use.</p>

<p>As will always be the case with Reshiram, sun support is mandatory for this set. Without it, Blue Flare will often be weakened by rain. Despite having Roost, Reshiram still appreciates Rapid Spin support, as the more turns spent recovering, the less turns are spent attacking. Entry hazards on the opponent's field are, as always, important. They allow Reshiram to get many of the KOs that it would otherwise miss. Paralysis is also incredibly important, especially if one isn't running Tailwind. Due to Reshiram's moderately low 90 base Speed, it needs the support to be able to perform to the best of its ability; Groudon, Dialga, Grass Arceus, and Ferrothorn can all spread this helpful status reliably. Finally, this set also appreciates not only the aforementioned wallbreakers, but a fast cleaner that can take advantage of the holes that Reshiram makes in teams.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Yet another exploitation of Reshiram's natural power and coverage, this set aims to sweep unprepared teams through the use of Flame Charge; frail offensive teams often are simply unable to handle a Reshiram at +1. Reshiram hits 459 Speed after a Flame Charge, which allows it to outspeed all relevant non-Choice Scarf Ubers threats, bar Deoxys-S&mdash;which does not commonly carry moves which can impede Reshiram&mdash;and users of Chlorophyll or Swift Swim. In addition, Flame Charge's chip damage can often trigger a favorable situation. Under sun, Rock Arceus can be KOed by the combination of Flame Charge and Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock; Ferrothorn or Forretress in sunlight are forced to switch, and Reshiram gets the Speed boost either way.</p>

<p>However, common Choice Scarf users, such as Terrakion and Palkia, can still outspeed and revenge kill +1 Reshiram; despite this downside, Genesect, another common Choice Scarf user, while still outspeeding Reshiram, is unable to revenge kill it without sacrificing itself with Explosion.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are two main variants of Flame Charge Reshiram: mixed and special. If one decides to go mixed (i.e. use Outrage or Stone Edge in the last slot), then one of Draco Meteor or Dragon Pulse has to be forgone. Draco Meteor has much higher power, allowing it to take out Choice Scarf Kyogre with relative ease, but its Special Attack drop is somewhat counter-intuitive with the sweeping&mdash;as opposed to nuking&mdash;nature of this set. If one chooses to run Draco Meteor, it's recommended that Outrage is run in the last slot to have a moderately powerful Dragon-type STAB on hand. Stone Edge makes another appearance, and is, again, is solely for taking out Ho-Oh in a single hit, as it would otherwise be a pest, forcing Reshiram into Outrage (which does not even OHKO unless Stealth Rock is present).</p>

<p>Alternatively, one could just run a special Flame Charge variant and get the best of both worlds. Having access to Dragon Pulse and Draco Meteor lets Reshiram get rid of some of its own checks before sweeping. While this is a viable strategy, it suffers from the huge block to almost all special attackers: Chansey. Even under sun, Blue Flare can't 2HKO after Stealth Rock, which means Chansey can come in and PP or Toxic stall Reshiram out. Moreover, Ho-Oh is only threatened by Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock, making it a fine check. In addition to its problems with Chansey, purely special Flame Charge Reshiram is complete setup bait after it uses Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>Flame Charge is pretty much the most high-maintenance Reshiram set there is. Due to the fact that Reshiram needs to be able to OHKO or 2HKO as many foes as possible when sweeping, sun support is, as always, mandatory. Entry hazards need to be up on the opponent's field as well, for the same reason. Because this set lacks as much power as some others, it needs all the help it can get; carrying a reliable Spikes user, such as Forretress, will work wonders. On the topic of Forretress, Rapid Spin support is helpful as well; however, it's not as important as with the Choice Specs set due to the fact that the aim of this set is to sweep. That said, it is important to keep residual damage to a minimum on Reshiram, as not only does Flame Charge expose Reshiram for a turn, but should its HP get too low, it is liable to be sniped by the myriad of priority in Ubers. For the same reason, try to bring Reshiram in off of a KO or a slow U-turn or Volt Switch to keep the extra damage at bay. Finally, a wallbreaker, such as Kyurem-W or Mewtwo, will help to soften up Reshiram's checks so it can sweep; this will especially help get Reshiram past Ho-Oh and Chansey, two of its most reliable checks.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>On such an offensively-oriented Pokemon, one might wonder why a SubRoost set is even considered. SubRoost Reshiram is a bit of a strange notion, but in practice it works. Because Reshiram only needs two moveslots to get perfect neutral coverage, it can run SubRoost alongside its attacking moves and not lose out on any major threats. Reshiram can set up Substitutes on a multitude of defensive Pokemon, most notable Ferrothorn and Forretress, with no fear of having its Substitute broken. With Substitute, Reshiram no longer has to rely on predicting the switch-in; with a Substitute up, the opponent has to stand and fight regardless of how fast or strong they are. Because of this, SubRoost Reshiram makes a great lure to weaken its checks; use Substitute on the switch, attack while they break the sub, and switch out to a pivot. Roost allows Reshiram to recover HP lost from Substitute, hazards, and other miscellaneous damage. With the combination of Substitute and Roost, Reshiram becomes an efficient weapon against bulky teams; even with Leftovers, its attacks are fearsomely powerful.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice between Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse is one of power vs. reliability. With Draco Meteor, Reshiram has an enormous amount of immediate power, consistently being able to OHKO Kyurem-W at -2 after Stealth Rock and 2HKO offensive Dialga. However, Reshiram becomes a giant, flaming, sitting duck after using it due to the stat drop. On the other hand, Dragon Pulse is significantly weaker but cannot be played around like Draco Meteor, due to its consistent damage.</p>

<p>Because this set forces a lot of switches, hazards are mandatory to its success. SubRoost Reshiram excels at wearing down balanced teams that are simply unable to juggle coping with the onslaught of attacks that Reshiram throws at it and breaking Reshiram's Substitutes; as such, cleaners that can sweep crippled opponents are welcome partners. Also, SubRoost Reshiram is fairly slow. Because of this, it will struggle against offensive teams unless it has paralysis support.</p>

<p>This set is unique for being Reshiram's only set that can accomplish much of its intended goal under rain. As such, while sun support is highly recommended, it is not required; if running this set without Groudon as a partner, one should run Dragon Pulse in the last slot. The trio of Substitute, Roost, and Dragon Pulse allow Reshiram to outlast a surprising number of foes. Because this set does not rely on sheer force to get past opponents, Leftovers is recommended to offset Substitute's HP cost. Life Orb is a feasible option to increase Reshiram's damage output; however, its recoil is not appreciated in conjunction with Substitute.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While other Reshiram sets aim to break teams apart after their checks are gone, Sunny Day Reshiram intends to lure some of those same checks in and eliminate them. By using Sunny Day, Reshiram can beat Kyogre, although against variants that outspeed it, such as Choice Scarf, one needs to predict the switch-in. However, in the case of specially defensive Kyogre, Reshiram doesn't even need to predict, as it outspeeds regardless; under sun, Kyogre deals a pitiful 15.24-18.18% with Scald. However, Reshiram will not be able to KO the same Kyogre reliably unless it is using SolarBeam. Sunny Day Reshiram plays a little more conservatively than the other sets; while they capitalize on Reshiram's power and coverage to force switches, this set focuses on eliminating its counters. Because of this, one will have to adjust their use of Reshiram accordingly. Sunny Day Reshiram has to be played carefully, as it lacks the immediate power, speed, or safety that the other sets have.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>In addition to its upfront purpose, Sunny Day Reshiram also fulfills a hidden task: weather backup. If one's weather inducer (presumably Groudon) is KOed, the opponent will automatically start playing more recklessly with theirs. Once their inducer faints, Sunny Day Reshiram swoops in, creating sun for five turns and permanently eradicating the adverse weather. The illusion of not having a second inducer can be augmented by bluffing a Choice item on Reshiram through the use of Charcoal; however, the loss in power is obvious on everything but its Fire-type STAB.</p>

<p>Roost is usable for the same reasons as the offensive set. Reshiram does have a bit of bulk to its name (+1 U-turn from max Attack Genesect deals 23.75 – 28.15%), and with Roost it could act as a bulky weather pivot. That said, running Roost requires Reshiram to forgo its coverage move, which means that it'll be tough to take down Tyranitar even under sun.</p>

<p>Sunny Day Reshiram isn't meant to be a weather inducer for the team; rather, it is the counter-inducer. Thus, Groudon is an excellent partner as usual. Plenty of hazards help Reshiram get past Kyogre and Tyranitar, as well as its old foes. Due to Sunny Day Reshiram's ability to increase one's control over weather, running sun-dependent Pokemon, such as Blaziken and Ho-Oh, is a good idea with this set.</p>

[SET]
move 3: Dragon Pulse / Outrage

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>In a similar vein to Flame Charge, Choice Scarf enables Reshiram to clean up weakened opposing teams with relative ease. Though it competes with Kyurem-W, Reshiram has a potent niche as a Choice Scarf user due to its Blue Flare. Even without a boosting item, a sun-boosted Blue Flare is incredibly powerful&mdash;252/0 Arceus can be OHKOed after Stealth Rock, while Great Wall Lugia is swiftly 2HKOed. Ironically, Choice Scarf Reshiram can also check Ho-Oh with decent success due to its ability to switch in on Sacred Fire with impunity and deal heavy damage with Stone Edge. Unfortunately, Reshiram's weather dependence holds it back at times. Without a boosting item, Blue Flare loses much of its power under rain, severely limiting the scope of opponents that it can efficiently revenge kill.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>While Dragon Pulse is useful for cleaning weakened teams regardless of weather, Outrage is a viable option due to its ability to OHKO Latias after Stealth Rock. Though Outrage doesn't hurt when it's coming unboosted from a 4 Atk 120 base Attack stat, not much is lost due to the fact that Scarf Reshiram is better off cleaning with Blue Flare late-game. Basically, if you need to be able to revenge kill Latias, run Outrage; otherwise, Dragon Pulse is your best bet.</p>

<p>Though it's best to stick to the given set, Focus Blast could theoretically be run over Stone Edge to dent Tyranitar and Rock Arceus. However, the extra damage does not usually warrant a slot over the ability to eliminate Ho-Oh semi-reliably. The choice between Mild and Hasty is the eternal battle between speed and power; Hasty grants Reshiram the ability to tie with other +1 base 90s, whereas Mild grants it the extra boost that is needed to get some notable KOs.</p>

<p>When using Choice Scarf Reshiram, it is of cardinal importance that one makes sure that it is not outclassed by Kyurem-W. As has been touched on (or rather, persistently reiterated), Reshiram needs sun to function at the top of its game. As it is a potent cleaner, Choice Scarf Reshiram settles into a defensive sun team quite nicely, increasing the team's ability to handle threats such as Ghost Arceus, Mewtwo, and Genesect, as well as ripping through weakened offense. Defensive sun teams are pretty much the most reliable format with which to maintain sun; as Choice Scarf Reshiram isn't as powerful as other Reshiram variants, it is arguably the most dependent on weather. In addition, due to its aforementioned lowered damage output, Choice Scarf Reshiram appreciates the hazards that a stall team can get up and keep up greatly.</p>

<p>On the other hand, offensive sun also appreciates Choice Scarf Reshiram's combination of speed and power. Ironically, Reshiram forms a powerful offensive core with Kyurem-W by breaking each other's checks. Reshiram also appreciates the wallbreakers that are so commonly found on sun offense, such as Palkia, Rayquaza, and Ho-Oh, as they weaken opposing teams&mdash;this in turn allows Reshiram to break through the opponent by way of sheer force.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>While Reshiram has other possible sets, it's best that one sticks to the beaten path. A lure set with Expert Belt is feasible, but Reshiram's STABs provide neutral, not super effective, coverage. However, if one was to run such a set, a moveset of Draco Meteor, Blue Flare, Focus Blast, and Stone Edge best deals with Reshiram's most prominent checks. Though it's highly unrecommended, Reshiram can run a dual screens set with Roost, Reflect, Light Screen, and Draco Meteor. While it works in theory, the opportunity cost is high, and it's heavily outclassed in practice by Deoxys-S and Latios due to their higher Speed and better utility moves.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Although Reshiram might not have counters in the strictest definition of the word, specially defensive Kyogre and Water Arceus come pretty damn close. Without Stealth Rock down, the only set that can hope to best them is Sunny Day Reshiram with SolarBeam, although Kyogre will also fall to Outrage. Even Chansey can't switch in safely, for fear of being 2HKOed by Blue Flare after Stealth Rock. However, Reshiram loses a lot of its power when it doesn't have sun, and even more when it's raining. Once the weather has been changed, Chansey and Blissey can both safely avoid a 2HKO from Choice Specs Reshiram and stall it out. Ho-Oh and Rock Arceus under sand can also defeat Reshiram handily with conditions their way, but Ho-Oh's Stealth Rock weakness and Rock Arceus's susceptibility to Focus Blast mean that they are not strict counters. Tank Tyranitar can weather both Blue Flare and Draco Meteor, but falls to Focus Blast.</p>

<p>Palkia, Kyurem-W, Terrakion, Latias, and Choice Scarf Kyogre can all revenge kill Choice Specs and offensive Reshiram, but it's hard to get them in. Flame Charge Reshiram can still be taken down by faster Choice Scarf Pokemon, namely Kyurem-W, Terrakion, and Palkia. However, one will often struggle to deal offensively with an offensive Reshiram that uses Tailwind on the switch. Reshiram's perfect two-move coverage means that it can almost always hit viable switch-ins to one move for enormous damage. However, it's rather slow, so if one can get something in that can hurt it, it's pretty easy to force Reshiram out.</p>

<p>Finally, Reshiram is quite susceptible to residual damage. Sandstorm, Life Orb recoil, and entry hazards all lower its life expectancy considerably. Exploit its weakness to hazards, and Reshiram will fall quickly. Conversely, it's recommended that if Reshiram is on the opponent's team, try to keep hazards off your side of the field. Getting extra HP chipped away can compromise a wall's ability to continuously switch into Reshiram. Finally, Toxic poison is a viable option for dealing with Reshiram; Chansey can poison it and stall it out with Softboiled.</p>

[gp]3/3[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)