Reshiram (Sunny Day)

Furai

we will become who we are meant to be
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

Code:
[B][U]QC checks:[/U][/B] shrang, trickroom, barry4ever [B][3/3][/B]
[B][U]GP checks:[/U][/B] Steven Snype, sirndpt (DittoCrow) [B][2/2][/B]
[SET]
name: Sunny Day
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Blue Flare
move 3: Draco Meteor
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The most common step to defeat Reshiram is to block the sun, and by utilizing Sunny Day, Reshiram puts up a fight against this strategy. Kyogre is a common switch-in to Reshiram because of its Drizzle ability, and in sun, its full powered Water Spout does 36.95% - 43.98%. In return, 4/0 Kyogre takes 79.23% - 93.85% from Reshiram's STAB Draco Meteor. Tyranitar, another common switch-in, loses its Special Defense boost from sandstorm and is now easily OHKOed by Focus Blast. As for any other Reshiram set, sun makes it a total monster, and this set is no exception; even Chansey, the best special sponge in the game, cannot stand in Reshiram's path; she risks being 2HKOed by a sun-boosted Blue Flare after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes, whereas 252/200 Dialga is immediately OHKOed. Draco Meteor is a great backup STAB move, as it hits extremely hard and boasts perfect synergy with Blue Flare thanks to Reshiram's outstanding ability in Turboblaze. Focus Blast allows Reshiram to blast through Tyranitar, Rock Arceus, and Dialga in rain.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread grants Reshiram maximum firepower, and allows it to hit as hard as it can. However, if Reshiram's mediocre Speed is bothering you, a Timid nature is viable, exchanging gunpower for Speed. Life Orb is the preferred item to boost all of Reshiram's attacks while still retaining the ability to change moves, but Heat Rock is a good option, as it increases the amount of turns sun will be shining. A bulkier EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe can be used with Leftovers. This EV spread allows Reshiram to survive a Spacial Rend from Choice Scarf Palkia (if Stealth Rock is absent) and OHKO back with Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>Dragon Pulse can be used over Draco Meteor, trading power for accuracy and no drop in offensive potential. SolarBeam can be used over Focus Blast to pack a safer attack against Tyranitar and Kyogre, as Focus Blast and Draco Meteor might miss. Flame Charge can also be used to boost Reshiram's Speed, mimicking a Choice Scarf boost. Substitute eases prediction and takes advantage of Reshiram's remarkable coverage. Stone Edge hits Ho-Oh, who can fully stop Reshiram thanks to its huge base Special Defense, but does nothing else.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are mandatory for any Reshiram to work, and this set is no exception. With a single layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, Chansey is 2HKOed by a sun-boosted Blue Flare. Due to its amazing coverage and its ability to change the weather, Reshiram forces a ton of Pokemon to switch, including Tyranitar and Kyogre. Forretress is a remarkable teammate; it boasts perfect synergy with Reshiram, can spin away entry hazards that bother Reshiram, can lay down all entry hazards, and can utilize Volt Switch to bring Reshiram in safely. Pairing Reshiram with Groudon is a must; it provides the greatly appreciated sun thanks to its Drought ability and brings Stealth Rock support, which, as said, is mandatory for Reshiram's sweep. Reshiram's lifespan is already short due to its weakness to entry hazards and Life Orb; thus, Reshiram appreciates Wish support. Prime candidates for this role would be Jirachi, Chansey, and Blissey. Thunder Wave support is appreciated, as Reshiram's average Speed means it loses to the fast-paced Pokemon in Ubers: Salamence, Palkia, Choice Scarf Kyogre, and Terrakion, though only Palkia and Kyogre can switch in safely to a sun-boosted Blue Flare.</p>

<p>Thanks to its high base Special Defense, typing, and access to a reliable recovery move in Roost, Ho-Oh makes a perfect counter. It can take advantage of Reshiram's sun, hit back very hard with its STAB Brave Bird, and Roost off the damage it has taken. Rock Arceus can switch into Blue Flare easily and can OHKO Reshiram with its super effective STAB move after Stealth Rock damage. However, without sand, Rock Arceus has a chance of being OHKOed by Focus Blast, and it will not enjoy taking Draco Meteor. Palkia and Choice Scarf Kyogre are faster and can OHKO Reshiram with their STAB moves, though Kyogre needs rain support. Salamence, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Rayquaza cannot switch into a sun-boosted Blue Flare, but are capable of revenge killing Reshiram with their powerful STAB moves. Entry hazards and status conditions are a pain to any Reshiram, as they diminish its lifespan very quickly. Groudon can take on Ho-Oh, Salamence, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Rayquaza; Fire Punch Groudon in particular also beats Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory, whose entry hazards put a lot of pressure on Reshiram. However, Groudon cannot take repeated hits due to the lack of reliable recovery, so a Wish passer such as Chansey or Blissey is greatly advised. A Palkia of your own can easily switch into Kyogre and can Speed tie with opposing Palkia. If you don't want to risk losing the Speed tie, a Haban Berry ensures Palkia will survive any of the opposing Palkia's attacks.</p>

I see a lot of problems with this set. What if the opponent switches in their Tyranitar, Hippwodon or Kyogre after you set up Sunny Day? I am sure a smart opponent can do that after you use Sunny Day once. They switch in, Reshiram sets up sun, opposing Kyogre switches and come back in later. I guess you get a free attack when Kyogre switches out.

Also if you use Solar Beam as the opponent goes to Tyranitar or Kyogre, Reshiram is royally screwed. I never liked Solar Beam in Ubers to be honest and Solar Beam is rarely of much use to Reshiram.

SolarBeam in sun easily OHKOes Hippowdon, and OHKOes Kyogre and Tyranitar with two layers of Spikes and Stealth Rock [assuming Life Orb]
Well Blue Flare OHKOes Hippowdon, Draco Meteor will still deal huge amounts of damage to Kyogre or Tyranitar. With some prior damage, both are 2HKOed. Tyranitar is also easily OHKOed by Focus Blast.

I am a bit skeptical about this set. Reshiram is usually revenged killed by faster Dragon-types instead of weather change. Tyranitar is already OHKOed by Focus Blast anyway so I don't see why or when you will use Solar Beam. Kyogre checks Reshiram but it never enjoys taking LO Draco Meteor anyway. If Solar Beam is for KOing Rock and Water Arceus, that's not good enough to use it because those are really rare threats. Rock Arceus will outspeed and KO you with Judgment first anyway. Gastrodon is 2HKOed by Blue Flare in the sun and Draco Meteor slams it to death.

One more thing about this set is after you use Draco Meteor, you usually have to switch out. In that case, Sunny Day is near useless when you have Groudon.

Please provide some logs to show how this Reshiram works, thanks.

@trickroom

idk.. i think your points are invalid.
this works much like sunny day ninetales in ou, and your points are moot.

you said that it might be bad because a smart player will switch in their weather setters after reshiram sets up sun.

the point of this set is NOT to set up weather (groudon already does that). this set is to be used in the sun to lure in the weather setters. if anyone sees eshirmam in the sun, their first instincts would be to switch in the weather set upper to neuter sun. this is where you sunny day to checkmate them. not anytime else. if they dont decide to switch? thats when predictions come into place,and its all part of the game.

also, no one would use solar beam while the other weaher setupper is alive and well. that is ju

Solar Beam is useless to me, what does it hit? Weather setters aren't usually the main switch ins to Reshiram. Kyogre is the exception and Tyranitar is uncommon in Ubers. Instead of luring them in with Sunny Day, why don't you just KO them outright with Draco Meteor or Focus Blast. People tend to switch in their revenge killers on Reshiram on the right moves. If it is going to use Blue Flare go to Palkia and smash it.

the point of this set is NOT to set up weather
I didn't say it is.

I am trying to point out that Solar Beam is useless for Reshiram. Here's what Reshiram usually does, Draco Meteor and Focus Blast to outright smash opposing weather inducers instead of changing the weather first. Solar Beam still fails to OHKO Kyogre anyway.

so, no one would use solar beam while the other weaher setupper is alive and well
No one uses Solar Beam in Ubers regardless of weather, I don't know about OU Ninetales but Reshiram does not need Solar Beam to lure in weather setters.

Both Bluemoon and Trickroom have their point. I think solarbeam does not hit anything notable since Draco Meteor and Focus Blast already does that. However, setting up sunny day as the opposing weather setter comes in is also nice. So, my conclusion is to keep sunny day, but drop solar beam for another attack, likely Focus Blast or Dragon Pulse.

i see your point trickroom.

haha we might as well run white herb for double draco meteor ;) Jk.

and once we add in focus blast, i think it would be outclassed by subshiram. (sub+3attacks)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You use SunnyBeam to keep the momentum on your side. Unless your opponent has two weather inducers (that aren't Groudon), you get that extra turn immediately to start nuking shit with Reshiram. Basically, the scenario is:

Player 1 switched Reshiram into eg Steel Arceus
Player 2 switched out Steel Arceus and switches to Kyogre (let's just assume ScarfOgre)
Reshiram used Sunny Day!

What would player 2 do now? Water Spout doesn't even 2HKO. Hell Reshiram probably doesn't even need to use SolarBeam in this case, since Blue Flare would probably hurt like a truck anyway. The momentum gained by using Sunny Day that once is just huge.

Anyway, SolarBeam probably isn't needed, Focus Blast is probably better for the slot, because it OHKOs Tyranitar in the sun easily, while Draco Meteor would probably put Kyogre out of commission anyway. Personally, I like using SolarBeam because it's cool, but I see your point about not using it. Regardless, I do believe Sunny Day Reshiram should get a set.

Furai stop taking my ideas and not acknowledging me for it, therefore I demand this set be called shrangiram

QC APPROVED 1/3

Furai

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
[14:02:52] <&barry4ever> i'm going to expressly reject
[14:03:09] <&Furai> sunny reshi?????????
[14:03:35] <&barry4ever> rejected
[14:03:42] <&barry4ever> you can cp that into the thread
[14:03:45] <&barry4ever> :)

I actually tried this set out. Most of the time, I didn't even use Sunny Day actually.The one turn Sunny Day forcing Kyogre out helps a lot in Ubers though. Still testing this to see if it is worth it.

Furai

[14:02:52] <&barry4ever> i'm going to expressly reject
[14:03:09] <&Furai> sunny reshi?????????
[14:03:35] <&barry4ever> rejected
[14:03:42] <&barry4ever> you can cp that into the thread
[14:03:45] <&barry4ever> :)
(12:28) <@barry4ever> furai wtf is this
(12:28) <@barry4ever> http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4213271&postcount=9
(12:28) <@Furai> you rejected it
(12:28) <@barry4ever> it was a joke
(12:28) <@Furai> wtf

barry is a douche

I will test this set more and get back with results, hopefully logs, but my PO is fucking up v_v

QC APPROVED 2/3

Just saying Sunny Day is rarely used when I tried it :(

The fact that Kyogre is so common and it just loves to come in on Reshiram makes this set worth using. Surprising Tyranitar is another bonus, and Tyranitar is also 2HKOed by Blue Flare in the sun after SR LOL

I think Substitute deserves a mention as it eases prediction. While it makes you similar to SubResh +3 Attacks, Sunny Day is what makes this set special. When Kyogre switches to a fodder (due to the sun), you can always set up a Sub first before smashing the opponent. Reshiram already has awesome coverage with his two STABs anyway so losing Focus Blast isn't much of a problem. Even Rock Arceus takes a ton of damage from Blue Flare if it is sunny.

Leftovers in AC can be used with a 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe spread because sometimes Reshiram wants to survive a bit longer, but it is not recommended due to many KOes lost. With that spread, Scarf Palkia or Dialga cannot OHKO you with Spacial Rend / Dragon Pulse at full health while you OHKO them back.

No mention of Stone Edge to surprise Ho-Oh? It is useless out side of that unfortunately.

Also, what shrang said really convinced me this set has it's uses. Shrangiram also scares away so many threats due to it's sheer power, most of which are common Kyogre partners ( Ferrothorn, Steel Arceus, Dialga(sun Blue Flare OHKOes), Grass Arceus, Jirachi, so I am stamping this.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I still think this set isnt very good and is highly situational. But trickroom spammed me with smileys on po asking me to approve so yeah. But this is going to be the last set in the analysis. :[

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
add/replace with
remove
comments

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The most common step to defeat Reshiram is to block the rays of the sun, and by utilizing Sunny Day, by its side, Reshiram is can puts up a fight against this strategy. Kyogre is a common switch-in to Reshiram because of its Drizzle ability, and in sun, its full powered Water Spout does 36.95% - 43.98%. In return, 4 HP Kyogre takes 79.23% - 93.85% from Reshiram's STAB Draco Meteor. Tyranitar, another common switch-in, loses its Special Defense boost from sandstorm, and is now easily OHKOed by Focus Blast. As any other Reshiram, sun makes it a total monster, and this set is no exception; even Chansey, the best special sponge in the game, cannot stand in Reshiram's path - she risks being 2HKOed by Blue Flare in sun after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes, whereas 252 HP / 200 SpD Dialga is immediately OHKOed. Draco Meteor is a great backup STAB, hitting extremely hard and boasting perfect synergy with Blue Flare, thanks to Reshiram's outstanding ability in Turboblaze. Focus Blast allows Reshiram to blast through Tyranitar, Rock Arceus, and Dialga in rain.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Modest nature and The EV spread grants Reshiram maximum firepower, allowing it to hit as hard as it can. and should. However, if Reshiram's mediocre Speed is bothering you, Timid nature is more than viable, exchanging gunpower for Speed. Life Orb is the preferred item to boost all of Reshiram's moves while still retaining the ability to change moves, but Heat Rock is a good option, increasing the amount of turns sun will be shining. A bulkier EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe can be used with Leftovers. This EV spread allows Reshiram to survive a Spacial Rend from Choice Scarf Palkia (if Stealth Rock is absent) and OHKO back with Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>Dragon Pulse can be used over Draco Meteor, trading power for accuracy and no drop in offensive potential. SolarBeam can be used over Focus Blast, utilizing Sunny Day, to pack a safer attack against Tyranitar and Kyogre, as Focus Blast and Draco Meteor might miss. Flame Charge can also be used to boost Reshiram's Speed, mimicking a Choice Scarf boost. Substitute eases prediction, and can also takes advantage of Reshiram's remarkable coverage. Stone Edge hits Ho-Oh, who can fully stop Reshiram thanks to its huge base Special Defense, but does nothing else.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are mandatory for any Reshiram to work, and this set is no exception. With a single layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, Chansey is 2HKOed by a sun-boosted Blue Flare. This set also forces a ton of swtiches, either due to its amazing coverage or its ability to change the weather, forcing Tyranitar and Kyogre out. Forretress is a remarkable teammate; it boasts perfect synergy with Reshiram, can spin away entry hazards that bother Reshiram on its sweep, can lay down all 3 types of entry hazards, and can utilize Volt Switch to bring Reshiram in safely. Groudon support is a must; it provides the greatly appreciated sun thanks to its Drought ability, and brings Stealth Rock support, which, as said, is mandatory for Reshiram's sweep. Wish Support is also advised, as it increases Reshiram's lifespan is already short due to entry hazards and Life Orb; thus Reshiram appreciates Wish Support.. Prime candidates for this roles would be Jirachi, Chansey, and Blissey. Thunder Wave support can also become helpful, as Reshiram's average Speed means it loses to the fast-paced Pokemon in Ubers: Salamence, Palkia, Choice Scarf Kyogre, and Terrakion, though only Palkia and Kyogre can switch in safely to a sun-boosted Blue Flare.</p>

<p>Thanks to its high base Special Defense, typing, and access to a reliable recovery in Roost, Ho-Oh makes a perfect counter. It can take advantage of Reshiram's sun, and hit back very hard with its STAB Brave Bird and still Roost off the damage it has taken. Rock Arceus can switch into Blue Flare easily, and can OHKO Reshiram with its super effective STAB after Stealth Rock damage. It should be noted that However, without sand, Rock Arceus has a chance of being OHKOed by Focus Blast, and it will not enjoy taking Draco Meteor. Palkia and Choice Scarf Kyogre are faster, and can OHKO Reshiram with their STABs, though Kyogre needs rain support. Salamence, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Rayquaza cannot switch into a sun-boosted Blue Flare, but are capable of revenge killing Reshiram with their powerful STABs. Entry hazards and status infections are a pain to any Reshiram, diminishing its lifespan very quickly. Groudon can take on Ho-Oh, Salamence, Terrakion, Garchomp, Rayquaza; Fire Punch Groudon in particular also beats Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory, whose entry hazards put a lot of pressure on Reshiram. Groudon can not take repeated hits due to the lack of reliable recovery, so a Wish passer, such as Chansey or Blissey, is greatly advised. A Palkia of your own can easily switch into Kyogre, and can Speed tie with opposing Palkia. If risking the loss in the Speed tie, a Haban Berry can be used to ensures Palkia will survive any opposing Palkia's attacks.</p>

GP Approved (1/2)

Amateur GP Check

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>The most common step to defeat Reshiram is to block the sun, and by utilizing Sunny Day, Reshiram puts up a fight against this strategy. Kyogre is a common switch-in to Reshiram because of its Drizzle ability, and in sun, its full powered Water Spout does 36.95% - 43.98%. In return, 4 HP Kyogre takes 79.23% - 93.85% from Reshiram's STAB Draco Meteor. Tyranitar, another common switch-in, loses its Special Defense boost from sandstorm and is now easily OHKOed by Focus Blast. As for any other Reshiram set, sun makes it a total monster, and this set is no exception; even Chansey, the best special sponge in the game, cannot stand in Reshiram's path - she; it risks being 2HKOed by Blue Flare in sun after Stealth Rock and one layer of Spikes, whereas 252 HP / 200 SpD Dialga is immediately OHKOed. Draco Meteor is a great backup STAB, hitting move, as it hits extremely hard and boastings perfect synergy with Blue Flare,(remove comma) thanks to Reshiram's outstanding ability in Turboblaze. Focus Blast allows Reshiram to blast through Tyranitar, Rock Arceus, and Dialga in rain.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread grants Reshiram maximum firepower, allowing it to hit as hard as it can. However, if Reshiram's mediocre Speed is bothering you, a Timid nature is viable, exchanging gunpower for Speed. Life Orb is the preferred item to boost all of Reshiram's moveattacks while still retaining the ability to change moves, but Heat Rock is a good option, as it increasinges the amount of turns sun will be shining. A bulkier EV spread of 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe can be used with Leftovers. This EV spread allows Reshiram to survive a Spacial Rend from Choice Scarf Palkia (if Stealth Rock is absent) and OHKO back with Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>Dragon Pulse can be used over Draco Meteor, trading power for accuracy and no drop in offensive potential. SolarBeam can be used over Focus Blast, utilizing Sunny Day, to pack a safer attack against Tyranitar and Kyogre, as Focus Blast and Draco Meteor might miss. Flame Charge can also be used to boost Reshiram's Speed, mimicking a Choice Scarf boost. Substitute eases prediction and takes advantage of Reshiram's remarkable coverage. Stone Edge hits Ho-Oh, who can fully stop Reshiram thanks to its huge base Special Defense, but does nothing else.</p>

<p>Entry hazards are mandatory for any Reshiram to work, and this set is no exception. With a single layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock, Chansey is 2HKOed by a sun-boosted Blue Flare. This set also forces a ton of swtiches, either dDue to its amazing coverage orand its ability to change the weather, forcReshiram forces a ton of Pokemon to switch, including Tyranitar and Kyogre out. Forretress is a remarkable teammate; it boasts perfect synergy with Reshiram, can spin away entry hazards that bother Reshiram on its sweep, can lay down all entry hazards, and can utilize Volt Switch to bring Reshiram in safely. Groudon supportPairing Reshiram with Groudon is a must; it provides the greatly appreciated sun thanks to its Drought ability,(remove comma) and brings Stealth Rock support, which, as said, is mandatory for Reshiram's sweep. Reshiram's lifespan is already short due to its weakness to entry hazards and Life Orb; thus,(comma) Reshiram appreciates Wish Ssupport. Prime candidates for this role would be Jirachi, Chansey, and Blissey. Thunder Wave support can also become helpful is appreciated, as Reshiram's average Speed means it loses to the fast-paced Pokemon in Ubers: Salamence, Palkia, Choice Scarf Kyogre, and Terrakion, though only Palkia and Kyogre can switch in safely to a sun-boosted Blue Flare.</p>

<p>Thanks to its high base Special Defense, typing, and access to a reliable recovery move in Roost, Ho-Oh makes a perfect counter. It can take advantage of Reshiram's sun, hit back very hard with its STAB Brave Bird and still,(comma) and Roost off the damage it has taken. Rock Arceus can switch into Blue Flare easily and can OHKO Reshiram with its super effective STAB move after Stealth Rock damage. However, without sand, Rock Arceus has a chance of being OHKOed by Focus Blast, and it will not enjoy taking Draco Meteor. Palkia and Choice Scarf Kyogre are faster and can OHKO Reshiram with their STAB moves, though Kyogre needs rain support. Salamence, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Rayquaza cannot switch into a sun-boosted Blue Flare, but are capable of revenge killing Reshiram with their powerful STAB moves. Entry hazards and status infections are a pain to any Reshiram, as they diminishing its lifespan very quickly. Groudon can take on Ho-Oh, Salamence, Terrakion, Garchomp, and Rayquaza; Fire Punch Groudon in particular also beats Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory, whose entry hazards put a lot of pressure on Reshiram. However, Groudon can not take repeated hits due to the lack of reliable recovery, so a Wish passer,(remove comma) such as Chansey or Blissey,(remove comma) is greatly advised. A Palkia of your own can easily switch into Kyogre and can Speed tie with opposing Palkia. If risking theyou don't want to risk loss ing the Speed tie, a Haban Berry ensures Palkia will survive any of the opposing Palkia's attacks.</p>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)