Returning to Pokemon, New OU Team

Introduction

Hello Smogon! I've recently returned to the competitive scene of Pokemon after a bit of a break, and decided to start with OU. I wanted to build a team around a SD Haxorus, with a combination of walls to help wear down the other team before switching him in and setting up. Here is what I came up with:

Quick Glance

The Team

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Trait: Mold Breaker
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Moves: Outrage | Superpower | Earthquake | Swords Dance
Summary: This is the pokemon I have decided to build my team around, because I love the way he looks (especially shiny) and he can completely devastate teams once he is set up. I try to wait to bring him in until late into the match, so that the other team's walls have all been softened up. The reason to running superpower over aqua tail or low kick, despite the stat decrease, is because I need it if walls such as Ferrothorn or Skarmory. Yes, Lucario is in the team to soften them up, but sometimes I just can't seem to get CC of on those walls. I also run into the problem of not being able to take out the other team's dragons (mostly scarfs), causing Haxorus to be nuked down. I have been debating changing his nature to jolly or even running DD instead of SD to help with the non-scarfed dragons.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
Nature: Impish
EVs: 224 HP/252 Def/32 SpD
Moves: Drill Peck | Spikes | Roost | Whirlwind
Summary: The standard physical wall Skarmory. I chose him because of his dragon resist for Haxorus and the Spike/Whirlwind combo he can do to soften the other team. I personally prefer drill peck over brave bird because of there is no recoil and usually, the damage between the two doesn't make a difference for Haxorus. The main problem I have with Skarmory is Magnezone, but the only thing I can do about that is not let Skarmory get trapped.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/36 Def/220 SpD
Moves: Scald | Shadow Ball | Recover | Toxic
Summary: I then chose Jellicent to be a walling partner with Skarmory. His resist to fire and his ability to spin block provide great synergy with Skarm. Also, I can attempt to burn or poison the other team, further weakening them for Haxorus. A main problem I run into with the combination of these 2 walls are grass types on sun teams such as offensive Celebi or Venusaur. Their combination of grass-STAB and HP Fire is enough to severely injury both of my 2 main walls. An option I am debating is putting ice beam in place of shadow ball, helping me weaken enemy dragon types. However, I don't find myself putting Jellicent in on many dragons except for Latios and Latias, and shadow ball is still super effective and STAB against them.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Moves: Earthquake | Stealth Rock | Roost | Protect
Summary: This is the standard defensive wall set for Gliscor with 2 minor move changes. I replaced toxic with stealth rock because with dual-status on Jellicent, I figured stealth rock would be more important. I originally had it on Skarmory, but when I added this guy to cover the glaring electric weakness on Skarm and Jelli, I decided to switch it. Also, I switched taunt for roost simply for more survivability. Of course, with only having earthquake to attack, flying and levitating dragons are still a big problem, as my only way to damage them with Gliscor would be with stealth rock. For this reason, I have considered replace either roost or protect with ice fang, but I can't figure out which would be best. Magnezone is still a HUGE weakness for my 3 walls because it often carries HP ice, which knocks out Gliscor easily.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
Trait: Flame Body
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
Moves: Bug Buzz | Fiery Dance | Hidden Power Rock | Quiver Dance
Summary: This is the basic quiver dance sweeping set for Volcarona. I added Volcarona because I need a strong special attacker who could knock out steel-types with ease. Unfortunately, I don't like this guy very much. His stealth rock weakness when I have no spinners is a huge problem. For this reason, I am often sending him in earlier than I want to as fodder or to attempt to set up before stealth rock is in play. I have considered switching Jellicent to Tentacruel to cover this problem, but the loss of a spin blocker is huge to me. For this reason, I wish to find a better special attacker to take out steel (and hopefully dragon too) types. Possibly Infernape or Heatran?

Lucario @ Choice Band
Trait: Inner Focus
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Moves: Close Combat | Ice Punch | ExtremeSpeed | Bullet Punch
Summary: Another powerful hitter to break down dragon and steel types for Haxorus, and come in for easy revenge kills with double priority. Choice band Lucario is great at destroying counters to my team, like steel walls, magnezone, and fast dragons. Close Combat hits anything hard, steel types even harder. ExtremeSpeed and Bullet Punch give me a choice in priority to take down weakened scarfers or dragon dancers. Overall, he has been a key to giving Haxorus the support he needs. Lucario's ground and fire weaknesses are completely covered by my walls. He has seemed like one of the best additions to the team so far.

Conclusion
Any input is welcomed and will be considered! Only thing I won't accept is taking out Haxorus, he is the pokemon I want to use right now. Sorry, haha :).​

Dr Ciel

Banned deucer.
Hi there!

Pretty cool team you have here, with your wallbreakers and walls supporting Haxorus in an effort to pull off a late-game sweep, wo props to you for using this sort of team. However, I see some huge flaws in this team, and my rate will help iron out those flaws and help your team reach it's full potential. With all this talk out of the way, let's get on to my rate, shall we? First up, I would like to suggest running Ferrothorn over your current Skarmory. Ferrothorn preforms in a similar aspect to Skarmory, as you keep the all important Spikes, and instead of Roost, Ferrothorn has Leech Seed to keep it in good health. Another plus on Ferrothorn is that you get to form that amazing FerroCent core which shuts down several offensive threats in the OU metagame. Moving on with your team, I would like to suggest running a Magnezone on place of your current choice of Volcarona. Once again, Magnezone preforms a role similar to Volcarona, and it helps in assisting Haxorus' sweep by also trapping and killing the Steel types that threaten him, the most notable one being Skarmory. Moving on with your team, I would like to suggest running Toxic and Substitute on your Gliscor over your current choices of Roost & Stealth Rock With Toxic, Gliscor is able to stall out nearly every wall in the OU metagame, and with Poison Heal + Protect, you already have enough survivability. Meanwhile, Substitute helps you even more in the Toxic-Stalling aspect. Finally, I would like to suggest running a Swords Dance set on your Lucario over your current set. Swords Dance Lucario is an excellent Sweeper, which also has good synergy with Haxorus as they assist each other in covering most threats. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!​

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock​

Magezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Charge Beam​

Lucario @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Crunch​

• Skarmory
    ----------------------> Ferrothorn
  • Volcarona
    ----------------------> Magnezone
  • Gliscor
    : Stealth Rock & Roost -> Substitute & Toxic​
  • Lucario
    : Current Set -> Swords Dance​

~Dr Ciel~

Hi there!

Pretty cool team you have here, with your wallbreakers and walls supporting Haxorus in an effort to pull off a late-game sweep, wo props to you for using this sort of team. However, I see some huge flaws in this team, and my rate will help iron out those flaws and help your team reach it's full potential. With all this talk out of the way, let's get on to my rate, shall we? First up, I would like to suggest running Ferrothorn over your current Skarmory. Ferrothorn preforms in a similar aspect to Skarmory, as you keep the all important Spikes, and instead of Roost, Ferrothorn has Leech Seed to keep it in good health. Another plus on Ferrothorn is that you get to form that amazing FerroCent core which shuts down several offensive threats in the OU metagame. Moving on with your team, I would like to suggest running a Magnezone on place of your current choice of Volcarona. Once again, Magnezone preforms a role similar to Volcarona, and it helps in assisting Haxorus' sweep by also trapping and killing the Steel types that threaten him, the most notable one being Skarmory. Moving on with your team, I would like to suggest running Toxic and Substitute on your Gliscor over your current choices of Roost & Stealth Rock With Toxic, Gliscor is able to stall out nearly every wall in the OU metagame, and with Poison Heal + Protect, you already have enough survivability. Meanwhile, Substitute helps you even more in the Toxic-Stalling aspect. Finally, I would like to suggest running a Swords Dance set on your Lucario over your current set. Swords Dance Lucario is an excellent Sweeper, which also has good synergy with Haxorus as they assist each other in covering most threats. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!​

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Power Whip
- Stealth Rock​

Magezone @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Charge Beam​

Lucario @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Crunch​

• Skarmory
    ----------------------> Ferrothorn
  • Volcarona
    ----------------------> Magnezone
  • Gliscor
    : Stealth Rock & Roost -> Substitute & Toxic​
  • Lucario
    : Current Set -> Swords Dance​

~Dr Ciel~
Ok, I'll definately try these changes. Just one thought, would Ice Punch be more beneficial on Lucario than Crunch due to the faster dragons or is he too slow for it to make a huge difference?

Hey man! Haxorus is getting a little love which is always great. As Dr. Ciel said, you do have a lot of issues that you need to fix but it's a good team for someone just getting back into it. First of all I agree with all the changes that Dr. Ciel has made as her changes make the team more efficient.

Now onto more stuff that I would recommend. First of all if Haxorus is meant to be your main sweeper (in tandem with Luke now thanks to her SD change) SD Haxorus really doesn't have sweeping capabilities and more of wallbreaking prowess. And since SubToxic Gliscor can outstall nearly every wall now, I recommend changing SD Haxorus into a Double Dance set This gives you a lot better sweeping potential with Haxorus as you can decide whether SD or DD is the better option as DD would be helpful in cleaning up the remains of what doesn't get stalled out by SubToxic Gliscor, Leech Seed Ferrothorn and Spinblocking Jellicent. Haxorus only really needs Dragon+Fighting Coverage as Haxorus is so powerful that at +2 it has a decent chance of 2HKOing Forretress after Stealth Rock with Low Kick and even that can be dealt with by Magnezone anyway.

Just a quick side comment, I personally think Bullet Punch> Crunch on Lucario for your team, as Taunt or SubDisable Gengar can really do a number on your team and you don't want it stopping your Lucario sweep. Haxorus, Magnezone and Ferrothorn deal with Jellicent enough as it is.

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance

Lucario @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)