Reuniclus (Analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Not in the slightest. Focus Blast nails Steel-types. Scizor takes an upward of 70% from Focus Blast. Shadow Ball hits Latios, opposing Reuniclus, and all of the other Psychic-types. Hidden Power Fire is a one-sentence-on-other-options move.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So yes, I know this is Quality Control, and Reuniclus in no position of being grammar-checked. I just wanted to say that while you've covered the basics, I don't think the analysis is going too in-depth with Reuniclus enough. If you read the Reuniclus article on the Smog, it's pretty much a guide on how to use and face Reuniclus in a battle. For now, the depth seems short, and while this isn't necessarily bad, the article on the smog sure makes this look dated.

And uh, yeah. QC first. I'm just here to say that the analysis bothered me a bit, and I apologize if I'm being too subjective!

[SET]
name: Calm Mind + Recover
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Recover
move 3: Psychic / Psycho Shock
move 4: Focus Blast
item: Leftovers / Life Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4SpD
ivs: 0 Speed

Why is Leftovers preferred over Life Orb? Just assinine. Life Orb is 30% stronger with no recoil. No brainer.

I like to use energy ball over focus blast myself. It may not hit TT as hard but at lest I don't have to worry about it missing and screwing me over. It also surprises my opponents.

Why is Leftovers preferred over Life Orb? Just assinine. Life Orb is 30% stronger with no recoil. No brainer.
I believe the general idea is that if you're setting up the CM set, you've already dealt with anything you'd need to kill as quickly as possible, thus the extra recovery aids in warding off weaker hits as you get yourself to +x with x been the point at which LO would make little difference.

That being said some more elaboration on item choice in the analysis would be nice. Are there any 2HKOs on Rein that become 3HKOs when accounting for Leftovers? Similarly are there any notable KOs you gain when using a Life Orb?

I like to use energy ball over focus blast myself. It may not hit TT as hard but at lest I don't have to worry about it missing and screwing me over. It also surprises my opponents.
And it also leaves you walled by nigh on every Steel type in the game.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Similarly are there any notable KOs you gain when using a Life Orb?
It's not always about specific KOs you gain; it's about power in general. Without Life Orb, Pokemon that invest in special defense like Scizor and naturally bulky mons like Garchomp can switch in without too many problems and annoy you. I believe the power gained from Life Orb is more beneficial than Leftovers recovery, considering Reuniclus is immune to any form of residual damage, and can therefore afford to sacrifice this means of regaining health.

I also support Life Orb, it gets you a ton of extra power. Remember, its not a +1 type boost, it multiplies your special attack by 1.3, making a massive difference unboosted and even more with boosts. Since you dont take the residual damage you normally would switching in (where leftovers would help, healing SR) and your special attack becomes much better for blasting at the opposing team (with no drawback!) i believe it is the better choice.

Slash in hp fighting for all the spots where focus blast is. Its much more reliable and can still nab the ko's you want. Also include a defensive CM set. Backed by heavy defenses along with 1 cm makes sweeping easier.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If we want 0 speed IVs, meaning as little speed as possible, wouldn't quiet nature be better than modest?
Technically, yes. Reuniclus still outspeeds the majority of Ferrothorn due to them applying a Speed-hindering nature and 0 Speed IVs, so a Quiet nature is at least beneficial.

Modest Reuniclus needs 19 Speed IVs to be outsped by Brave 0 IV Conkeldurr (you wouldn't want a Payback to the face, would you?).
If one wants a Quiet nature, 29 Speed IVs are necessary. You don't need the Attack stat (Foul Play hurts less) and IVs can help you get outsped by other Pokémon.

TL;DR: -Speed Natures with 0 Speed IVs should only be used with Trick Room.

HP Fighting definitely deserves a slash on the Calm Mind + Recover set and Life Orb should be the item of choice over Leftovers

Bloo

Banned deucer.
This analysis has been inactive for quite some time and hasn't seen many significant updates. As such, I'll be moving this to L&O. Reuniclus is a very important Pokemon in the BW metagame and needs someone who can actively maintain its analysis. I'm giving Iconic the right to work on Reuniclus, seeing as he's very knowledgeable and has expressed interest in writing its analysis. I've informed Plusle about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)