Reuniclus for president! (a BW2 RMT)

Introduction

Hey guys, this is my first serious RMT on this site. I battled a lot with it last week. First it started really well, I won like 70% of my matches. But now I'm getting to a rating of approximately 1650 and I keep being stuck.

At a glance:

Team building process:

I started with my favorite mon of all time: Reuniclus. It is lower in the OU usage statistics while it is truly a great mon.

I needed a mon who has good synergy with Reuniclus. Infernape came to mind, because it can take the opponents tyranitar and scizor out of the match.

Because infernape is a fire type, I immediately thought of a FWG core. Rotom-w was added: It can battle well against rain and because Infernape had u-turn, I gave Rotom-w voltswitch for a mini voltturn core.

Now time for a grass type: Ferrothorn as a general purpose wall and hazard layer, as being a general pain with spamming T-waves and leech seeds.

Many cores can be beaten by trapping utility. Because of this, I added dugtrio

Last but not least, I added scarf ditto, as the glue of the team.

Closer Look

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Recover

The MVP of the team. It doesn't get passive damage and is a bane to stall. Once it's counters are gone it is a pain to get rid of. I have chosen a life orb to get more oomph. It is my late-game sweeper and usually only comes out when it can do his job. It doesn't mind status or hazards and his only big problems are tyranitar, scizor and genesect. Only the latter giving this team problems sometimes if Ditto can't do his job, because the scarf variant outspeeds Infernape. Another problem is that it can't hit the two ghost/dark types, but if I see my opponent has those, Reuniclus will stay out of battle until they are gone.

Infernape @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
Infernape is as close as a best friend can get for reuniclus because it can get rid of tyranitar and scizor. I have to be cautious though, because it is also very frail. Stealth rock is there when I know that the opponent is going to switch out and hazards are needed. Infernape's u-turn combined with Rotom-w's volt switch cause a mini voltturn core for some momentum. It is also the first member of the FWG core. Close combat makes short work of tyranitar, Overheat of scizor. It is annoying though that scarf genesect outspeeds.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitatet
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The second member of the FWG core and the voltturn combo. Scarf for some extra speed, Trick to neuter a wall or set-up threat. HP Ice to dent dragons more, who are resistant to the other moves. Most of the time if the opponents team isn't Rotom-w weak, his job is very much done after using trick, which can be dissapointing sometimes. generally, it functions well against sand and rain, teams I see pretty often.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

The general wall, the safe heaven and hazard support. Rocky helmet to rack up some serious damage to physical attackers. T-wave support is a godsend. It is also the last member of the FWG core. It really helps against rain and is easy and safe to switch in. The lack of leftovers recovery hurts, but it's too satisfying to see the opponent get 30% damage every time he attacks ferrothorn, while ferro receives less than he recovers through leech seed. I use ferrothorn as my only form of "spinblocker". It doesn't actually block, but just hurts the user of it a lot, since it's a physical contact move. Power Whip is for the ever annoying bulky Water/Ground types like gastrodon that usually try to annoy me.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Trait: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 Spd / 32 Def
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Claw

Most cores can be dispatched by trapping. Dugtrio has 2 functions in my battles: the award for golden help, or for fastest killed mon, since it's stats, bar speed, are pretty underwhelming. Still, it functions well to as a trapper/revenge killer. The only downside is that the opponent needs to be grounded. Lati@s can just switch out instead of receiving a super effective Sucker Punch. This spot I'm most uncertain of, but Io can't see any other reliable trapper that would function well in this setting.

Ditto (ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Transform
The glue of the team and certainly the 2nd most MVP. Battling against a rain team? I have a tornadus-t too, wrecking your team with your own hurricanes! Want to set up? Think twice! Ditto saved me so many times: Switching into a flash fire mon using a fire attack, copying and taunting a prankster sableye to shut it down. It also helps out when it isn't on the battlefield because every opponent will think twice before setting up. The mind games ditto causes are bigger and more significant than Zoroark. It usually fills my core in a battle with a pokémon that benefits of the own kind of team that the opponent is using: in rain, rotom-w, ferrothorn and ditto (who changes in a mon who functions well in rain of the opponent) form quite a core while he also does that for the other weathers.

Team export
Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SDef
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Infernape @ Life Orb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SAtk
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Overheat
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 224 Spd / 32 Def
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Shadow Claw

Ditto (ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Transform
-
-
-

Possible pro's/contra's
+ the late game sweeper doesn't mind hazards or status
+ ditto gives an answer to most kind of teams.

Closing comments: Thanks everybody for reading my RMT. I'm open for changes of pokémon and moves to improve this team

Hey man pretty solid looking team you have here!

Looking at your team i noticed that your Infernape is running Stealth Rock. This isn't exactly ideal due to Infernape's extremely low bulk plus Life Orb recoil on it's moves. The problem with this team is there is not much else that can have Stealth Rock succesfully seeing as your Dugtrio is the banded set and it can't afford to go with the Focus Sash set seeing as your team lacks a Rapid Spin user. On Ferrothorn however Stealth Rock>Thunderwave can be used i know you lose your ability to cripple pokemon but you can still wear down physical attackers with Leech Seed and Ferrothorn is a much better hazard setter then Infernape. If you decide to go with this change then Power Whip isn't to good for your only attack option. Especially if Ferrothorns roll on a team is to help soften up Dragon-Type threats. He won't be doing to much damage with Power Whip on Dragons since the resist it but it will be doing even less damage to Salamence and Dragonite who resist it by 4x due to their flying secondary type. That is why Gyro Ball>Power Whip is the prefered option. Gyro Ball makes Ferrothorn less of a slouch offensivly while trying to threaten pokemon it walls. Especially since you were running a relaxed nature Gyro Ball is good because of the increased damage it does the slower you are.

Your team also seems to be weak to Specs Tornadus-T. Espeically ones that carry Grass Knot. This is because it can OHKO all your pokemon with the appropraite coverage move aside from Ferrothorn who is 2hko'ed by Hurricane or Focus Blast. He also outspeeds your whole team except your two scarfers who can't really switch in unless they want to eat a powerful Hurricane or in Rotom's case a Grass Knot. To help with this problem i suggest Specially Defensive Rotom-W>Current Set This Rotom-W set can tank a Hurricane and threaten with Volt Switch he is also great to use against rain teams due to being able to hit them hard with Volt Switch or abuse its powerful Hydro Pump. It can also use Will-o-Wisp which is an awesome type of support to cripple physical attackers and also helps Reuniclus set up easier. He also helps your team out against heavy offense teams due to your only bulky pivot before hand being Ferrothorn he will quickly fall to the powerful onslaughts of offense teams. Ferrothorn can't even weather the blows from rain offense teams as he will be eventaully worn down. This is why Rotom-W helps providing you with another bulky pivot to fall back to and one that can threaten offense teams with its Will-o-Wisp. Pain Split rounds of the set letting it abuse its somewhat low Hp for a support pokemon by siphoning Hp of opposing mons to use as recovery.

With this change you may now notice your team without a reliable revenge killer. Not to worry because is you decide to go with my Ferrothorn change Infernape won't have Stealth Rocks making him a prime candidate for a revenge killer thats why Choice Scarf Infernape>Mixed Infernape is a better option. He gives you a greta candidate for a revenge killer and can outspeed a larger amount of threats then Rotom-W being able to outspeed other scarfers Like Landorus and Salamence and smack the with a Hidden Power [Ice] something that Rotom-W can't do with a scarf. Although it has the same speed stat as Terrakion it is worthy to note that you will never outspeed it due to this set needing Hidden Power [Ice] to take on dragons. Just remember that because the two have the same base speed.

Finally just a minor nitpick on your Dugtrio set you are running Sucker Punch it has a little redundant coverage with Shadow Claw and although it can be usefulf for revenge killing fast threats. Your team already has two Choice Scarf users. Not to mention if you miss predict Sucker Punch then you are locked into a useless move which gives your opponent two free turns to set up or Substitute, Recover, etc. Memento>Sucker Punch is a good option. If Dugtrio has done his job and he is still healthy in your team using Memento is a great way to get a free switch into Reuniclus to clean up. Memento lowens your opponents special attack and attack by two stages while Koing Dugtrio this gives you a free switch into Reuniclus who can then set up on your opponent who won't be doing much damage to Reuniclus due to Memento.

Good luck with the team i hope i helped!

Sets

Rotom-W @ Leftovers | Levitate
Calm | 252 Hp / 4 SpA / 252 Sp Def
Hydro Pump| Volt Switch | Will-o-Wisp | Pain Split

Infernape @ Choice Scarf | Blaze
Hasty| 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spd
Close Combat| Hidden Power [Ice] | U-Turn | Fire Punch / Flare Blitz

Tl;dr

Ferrothorn
.Stealth Rock--->Thunderwave
.Gyro Ball--->Power Whip

Rotom-W
.Specially Defensive Set--->Choice Scarf Set

Infernape
.Choice Scarf Set--->Mixed LO Set

Dugtrio
.Memento--->Sucker Punch

~Superpowerdude

Hi there,

Interesting team, Stealth Rock Infernape and Choice Band Dugtrio really aren't seen that much anymore so it's nice to see someone attempt to use them well. One thing I did notice was the big weakness to Sun Teams. Those carrying Venusaur as their Chlorophyll abuser can pretty easily plough through your team at will. Choice locked Rotom-W, Ditto and Dugtrio all turn into easy setup fodder for Venusaur, and one turn to Growth is all it really needs to beat your team. Sure you can revenge it with Ditto, but there's no guarantee that your opponent will stay in, or risk the Speed tie. At +2, Venusaur can essentially sweep your whole team, being able to OHKO Rotom-W, Dugtrio and Infernape with a Giga Drain or Sludge Bomb, while Ferrothorn is hit hard by Hidden Power [Fire] variants. Reuinclus is also pretty shaky as Venusaur gets the KO on Reuniclus at +2 with some prior damage, so you can't switch into Venusaur to beat it. To help with this, I would consider changing your Ditto to a Calm Mind Latias. Calm Mind Latias helps you against Sun Teams very well, with the great typing and bulk, Latias can tank hits from pretty much any unboosted Chlorophyll sweeper, while also being able to take +2 hits from Venusaur. Calm Mind Latias also gives you some insurance against Rain Teams, in which you described Ditto helps you in that regard. Latias is still a great check to Tornadus-T, which shouldn't really be too much trouble with Rotom-W around and keeping Ferrothorn healthy. The aforementioned Rain Teams also commonly like to carry Keldeo, who looks very threatening to your team. Under Rain, Specs Keldeo can get a kill every time it switches in, while you really have no safe switch in to it. Sub Calm Mind sets also look annoying, as they block Ferrothorn's Thunder Wave, while also getting free Substitutes / Calm Minds from your other choice locked team mates. Losing Ditto really isn't that much of a drawback. While I understand it can completely change matches, it is a liability most of the time. Against Stall Teams it does nothing, as a Choice Scarf Blissey really isn't all that helpful. The only time it really has an impact is if you let your opponent set up, which really shouldn't be an issue if you choose to go with my next changes.

However, if this change does not appeal to you then I'd suggest keeping Ditto, but you should run 30 Atk and Def IVs, as this will give Ditto arguably the most important Hidden Power while not having to sacrifice a Speed IV which can result in losing a speed tie.

I understand Dugtrio's role on your team, it helps to trap Tyranitar who is very threatening to Reuniclus. A lot of the time when Tyranitar is gone, Reuniclus can have a field day with the opponent's team, as very few things can deal with Reuniclus at +2 / +3 / +4, etc. I see the main weakness of this team being the amount of setup opportunities you give to your opponent. Dugtrio is still relatively weak even with a Choice Band, and is easily used as setup fodder. I recommend you change your Dugtrio set to a Focus Sash set. The teams that will be carrying Tyranitar commonly use them as their team's Stealth Rock user, meaning you can lead with Dugtrio, get up your own Stealth Rock and remove Tyranitar from the field, assuming it is not Chople / Scarf, in either case Rotom-W and Ferrothorn can deal with it respectively. The main benefit of this set is the freedom of moves, as well as access to Memento. Freedom of moves stops Dugtrio becoming easy setup fodder for stat boosters such as the aforementioned Chlorophyll 'mons, and thing such as Keldeo and Dragonite. It alleviates the pressure off of your other team mates to deal with said stat booster, which is especially helpful as you're running a very offensive team, with your only Pokemon capable of taking multiple hits being Ferrothorn. The extra power from Dugtrio really isn't missed with this set, as Dugtrio's only role is to remove the threats to Reuniclus, which it already does well enough with a Focus Sash set, whether it be destroying it with a max power Reversal, or crippling it with Memento.

This particular Dugtrio set carries Stealth Rock, meaning you open up a new moveslot on Infernape. With a Sash, Dugtrio is guaranteed Stealth Rock unless matched up against Magic Bounce 'mons, whereas Infernape does not have that luxury and is too frail to set Stealth Rock up safely in fear of taking a hit. This opens up a new moveslot of which you can try Hidden Power [Ice] over Stealth Rock. This gives Infernape the ability to hit Dragonite before it can set up which is great because with Dugtrio's Stealth Rock, you can pretty easily remove Dragonite from play. It also helps to deal with variants of Gliscor, most notably the Sub Toxic set which can beat Ferrothorn one on one, while also being able to switch in on Rotom-W's Volt Switch and block Trick with Substitute. Reuniclus doesn't have much of an easy time either, as with Psyshock you need a few boosts to beat Gliscor.

Good luck!

Latias @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock / Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe | IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Reversal
- Memento

- CM Latias > Choice Scarf Ditto
- If you want to keep Ditto, use 30 Atk and 30 Def IVs
- Focus Sash Dugtrio > Choice Band Dugtrio
- Hidden Power [Ice] > Stealth Rock for Infernape

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)