Reuniclus [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
[OVERVIEW]

Reuniclus is a solid option as an offensive Trick Room setter, sporting both a Spore immunity and the ability to OHKO Amoonguss. Being capable of hitting most of the metagame, Reuniclus's powerful Psychic + Fighting coverage lets it shine where other passive Trick Room setters cannot, giving it the capability to take full advantage of the speed control provided by Trick Room. However, Reuniclus is also frail, leaving it vulnerable without proper support and positioning. In addition, its vulnerability to common priority attacks such as Sucker Punch and Talonflame's Brave Bird can leave it rather susceptible to losing momentum even after setting Trick Room. It also lacks the defensive capabilities and Ground immunity offered by other options such as Cresselia, and it is susceptible to being walled by Aegislash, a common Trick Room check.

[SET]
name: Offensive Trick Room Setter
move 1: Psychic
move 2: Focus Blast / Shadow Ball
move 3: Trick Room
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Overcoat
nature: Quiet
evs: 152 HP / 36 Def / 252 SpA / 68 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Psychic hits most threats neutrally besides Steel- and Dark-types such as Heatran, Aegislash, Jirachi, Hydreigon, and Scrafty and has a good chance to OHKO standard Amoonguss. Focus Blast lets Reuniclus hit those Steel- and Dark-types except for Jirachi and Aegislash for super effective damage. Shadow Ball is a good option for covering Aegislash and is guaranteed to break Substitutes from Steel-types like Heatran without having a 30% chance to miss. Trick Room allows slower Pokemon to take advantage of the reversed move order and put the opponent on the defensive for four turns. Protect is an all-around staple for Doubles Pokemon, allowing Reuniclus to avoid damage while its partner switches or attacks and is a good move for dodging Sucker Punch if you don't want to switch and Trick Room is already up.

Set Details
========

Maximum Special Attack EVs with a Quiet Nature enables Reuniclus to maximize its damage output. Minimizing Speed allows Reuniclus to get valuable Speed ties with Amoonguss, KOing it before it can put Reuniclus's partner to sleep, and also allowing Reuniclus to underspeed most things in the metagame. The distribution of the remaining EVs between HP, Special Defense, and Defense maximize Reuniclus's bulk in the most efficient way possible, letting it survive Aegislash's Shadowball and giving it an extremely high chance of surviving Mega Kangaskhan's Sucker Punch, though only from full health, as well as giving it a nice Life Orb number.

Usage Tips
========

Avoid letting Reuniclus tank hits outside of Trick Room by positioning it such that your opponent can't double target Reuniclus down as it sets up Trick Room, such as by supporting Reuniclus with Fake Out or redirection. Take advantage of Reuniclus's strong offenses by simply attacking if the opponent will Taunt Reuniclus, such as with Keldeo or Thundurus, hitting them for a significant portion of their HP. When Trick Room is down, be conscious of whether or not you really want it to be back up; sometimes it can be better to simply attack rather than set up Trick Room, especially against slower threats such as Ferrothorn and Amoonguss or priority attackers such as Talonflame. Reuniclus is a good switch-in to status-inflicting moves such as Spore and Will-O-Wisp and Fighting-type attacks; however, almost everything else hits it neutrally and dents it too hard, making it difficult for it to set up Trick Room.

Team Options
========

Reuniclus fits well on Trick Room teams, so Trick Room setters as well as Trick Room attackers are good partners and take advantage of the speed control provided. Bulky Ghost-type Setters to fill in the "one offensive and one defensive Trick Room setter" composition, such as Jellicent and Gourgeist, are valuable options that provide a defensive backbone, allowing the team to absorb hits that Reuniclus can't. Fake Out support from Pokemon such as Scrafty and Hariyama, which complement Reuniclus's typing very well, helps set up Trick Room. Redirection from Amoonguss is valuable in helping Reuniclus set up Trick Room, drawing away hits that Reuniclus wishes to avoid. Checks to Aegislash, Hoopa-U, and Bisharp such as Mega Camerupt and Scrafty complement Reuniclus very well and enjoy the speed control offered by Trick Room. Other Trick Room attackers such as Rhyperior and Sylveon work well with Reuniclus, as they benefit from Reuniclus countering Grass-types such as Amoonguss.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Reuniclus can use Focus Sash or Mental Herb if it wants to sacrifice damage output for an easier time setting up Trick Room. However, Mental Herb is not usually vital for Reuniclus because it does not become dead weight offensively even after being Taunted; it is still able to deal heavy damage thanks to its high Special Attack stat. In addition, Life Orb is vital for Reuniclus's damage output, which drops significantly if one runs Focus Sash. Helping Hand can be useful for when you forsee an incoming Fake Out, as it has higher priority. For abilities, Regenerator is an interesting option that enables Reuniclus to restore its HP after taking a hit, giving it good staying power, but Overcoat's Spore immunity is incredibly valuable for a Trick Room team. Regenerator can fit on Reuniclus when it is used on semi-Trick Room teams rather than full Trick Room. Colbur Berry is an option that lets Reuniclus tank Dark-type hits better.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Typing Advantage**: Reuniclus suffers against Aegislash, which resists Psychic and is immune to Focus Blast, whereas Jirachi redirects Reuniclus's attacks with relative ease. Outside of Trick Room, powerful STAB Dark- and Ghost-type moves such as Hoopa-U's Hyperspace Fury and Hydreigon's Dark Pulse threaten to KO Reuniclus.

**Speed Control**: Foes carrying Trick Room, especially Cresselia, are capable of forcing Reuniclus into playing mind games of whether or not they will attempt to reverse Trick Room.

**Speed**: Pokemon such as Bisharp, Talonflame, and Kangaskhan are capable of being big threats even under Trick Room due to their priority attacks.

**Utility** While Reuniclus is able to maintain a strong offensive presence even while affected by the move, Taunt both prevents Reuniclus from setting Trick Room and nullifies its ability to defend itself with Protect. In addition, Fake Out is powerful utility versus Reuniclus, as it gives the opponent free turns and damage while also pressuring Reuniclus to use Protect, leaving it vulnerable the next turn.

Last edited by a moderator:

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
I have to disagree because focus blast is so valuable and covers more, and shadow ball would be useless against life orb aegislash

Stratos

Banned deucer.
shadow ball would be useless against life orb aegislash
huh?

also focus blast hits like: kang, which admittedly is nice to hit, psychic's still a 2hko and doens't have the 30% chance to ruin your day. shadow ball provides neutral coverage on steels which is good enough to at least stop them from subbing.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Reuniclus: 366-432 (86.3 - 101.8%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO
Also 424 is not a good LO number :p

So I'm gonna nitpick and do this which hits 419 HP for LO number, actually 100% lives Aeg, and still lives Mega Kanga
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 232 HP / 32 SpD Reuniclus: 354-416 (84.4 - 99.2%)
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 232 HP / 4 Def Reuniclus: 354-417 (84.4 - 99.5%)

So the spread becomes 232 HP / 4 Def / 240 SpA / 32 SpD

Unless you can show me that 3 points of SpA really matter, this is a better spread :)

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
shadow ball is useless vs lo aegis cuz is ohkos you before you can touch it

It'd also be useless vs shadowsneak because it'll just nab you after a sball

and it doesn't hit aegis very hard at all unless you somehow manage to get it in blade form
252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 172-203 (53 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Focus Blast is extremely valuable, and, in my opinion, more deserving of the primary set. Shadow ball obviously is an option, but psychic/ghost loses out of lots of coverage options in comparison to psychic/fighting

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
Also Bughouse, more spA gives you better chances to ohko amoonguss. Aegislash' ko chance is very minimal and you really shouldn't be trying to lead reuniclus when you see aegis/letting it tank a hit and risking life orb so I think the best spread would be
228 / 252 spa / 28 spdef which maximizes spdef while still living sucker from adamant bisharp/adamant kang and still maximizes your ko chances on amoonguss

oops forgot that the calc had 4 def so it'd be 228 hp 252 spA 4 def and 24 spdef

Last edited:
I know Im not QC but 232 hp 4 def 252 spatk 20 spdef Modest nature on Reun maximizes overall bulk given max spatk, while always living an Adamant Kangaskhan sucker.

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 232 HP / 4 Def Reuniclus: 354-417 (84.4 - 99.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

n_n

Stratos

Banned deucer.
shadow ball is useless vs lo aegis cuz is ohkos you before you can touch it

It'd also be useless vs shadowsneak because it'll just nab you after a sball

and it doesn't hit aegis very hard at all unless you somehow manage to get it in blade form
252+ SpA Life Orb Reuniclus Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 172-203 (53 - 62.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Focus Blast is extremely valuable, and, in my opinion, more deserving of the primary set. Shadow ball obviously is an option, but psychic/ghost loses out of lots of coverage options in comparison to psychic/fighting
yeah wow you know, aegislash can't like, come in on reuni while TR is up lellers

nor do any TR teams have redirection.

and psychic/ghost literally only misses out on darks thanks to ghost coverage being fuckin stupid.

at least slash it.

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I value living Aeg's Shadow Ball 100% of the time more than I do a better chance at OHKOing Amoonguss.

Amoonguss's spread is very variable. Some might live 100% anyway. Some might die 100% anyway. Aeg will be 252 SpA w/out Life Orb like 90% of the time. Beyond that, you don't necessarily need to care about OHKOing Amoong, since it can't do anything back. (I know teammates get spored etc. obvsly it is better to ohko... but imo better to even get room up in the first place.)

So I would greatly prefer to give a check to a spread that always survives Shadow Ball (like the one I put above).

Bughouse

That spread is still a 1/16 roll to KO. Turns out we're being inefficient. Reun has high HP. There is not a spread that 1) 100% lives Kanga Sucker, 2) 100% lives Aegislash Shadow Ball, and 3) has 252 SpA. All of them come up 8 evs short or more. Still I found an improvement over the one I had above that was 12 evs shy.

There are several spreads that work at 244 SpA (instead of the 240 mine originally had). But even better I think I found a compromise. If I had to allow a chance to slide by I'd want it to be the Sucker Punch. Not the Shadow Ball. Sucker Punch at least only comes in AFTER you've set TR. It also has better rolls to live because of Parental Bond requiring 2 high rolls. And it is highly likely to kill after one round of LO recoil anyway, whereas Reun won't have taken LO usually BEFORE trying to set, like against Aeg.

So go with 152 HP / 36 Def / 252 SpA / 68 SpD

Hits a LO number of 399
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 152 HP / 68 SpD Reuniclus: 338-398 (84.7 - 99.7%)
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 152 HP / 36 Def Reuniclus: 339-399 (84.9 - 100%)

As Parental Bond hits are separate rolls, there are 256 possible damage outcomes. Only 1 kills. Which is a miniscule chance to kill.

That's my final answer on spread after spending entirely too long thinking about it. If someone really wants to improve on it, be my guest and try. But I don't believe all guarantees can be done.

Checkmater

is a Tiering Contributor
What did you use to make this spread? I remember someone once linked a tool for optimizing bulk given a benchmark and certain evs but I couldn't find it again

anyways updated the thread, thanks for going through the effort of figuring that out

Bughouse

Put what the EVs actually do in Set Details "most efficient" or whatever you said is vague.

Expand on checks and counters.
Add Hydreigon to the Typing Advantage tag cuz of strong LO Dark Pulse. Hoopa-U should go here too. Can also put Escavalier and Victini although they're much less common.
Do a Utility tag with Taunt, especially from Sableye. Mention Jirachi's Follow Me here as well (if not Shadow Ball). Maybe Prankster Encore as well, although that's much more niche coming from Whimsicott or Liepard (lol).
Do a Speed Control tag and mention Cresselia for reversing TR, which can also CM in face if no Shadow Ball, so very good at that job.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
AM QC check lets get it

Moves
  • Put the bullet about Shadow Ball right after the one about Focus Blast. Since they're competing for the same moveslot, they should be talked about back-to-back (this is a little nick-picky but it makes more sense imo)
Set Details
  • Explain the purpose of 0 Atk IVs, since you did for Spe
Usage Tips
  • Explain when in the game its best to use Reuniclus. Is it best as a lead to set-up Trick Room right away, or better mid-game to reset Trick Room and punch major holes in the opponent's team? This is probably the most important question to answer in this section.
Team Options
  • Stress the great offensive synergy Reuniclus has with Sylveon. Sylveon checks Dark- and Ground-types for Reunclus, while Reuniclus in return checks Poison- and Steel-types with Focus Blast for Sylveon.
  • Mention specifically that slow Fire- or Ground-types are needed to shut down Aegislash, as well as something to check Hoopa-U. List some example Pokemon that can fulfill these roles as well.
Other Options
  • Be sure to explain why the options here are worse than the ones in the set.
  • Remove the mention of being Level 99. That strategy seems really gimmicky and terrible.
Checks and Counters
  • Mention under Typing Advantages that Hoopa-U and Aegislash should be cautious of Reuniclus running Shadow Ball.
  • Mention opposing Fake Out under Utility that will prevent the set-up of Trick Room

Be sure to check with QC team before implementing any of these.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
smd im writing it rn

edit: here it is

[Set Details]
- I mean, I guess it's fine, but you don't actually need to explain (or include) 0 Atk IVs since it should be considered common knowledge that Special Attackers have that, and 0 Atk IVs has zero influence on the actual set. Just keep this in mind whenever you write an analysis.

[Usage Tips]
- Mention that if using Reuniclus as a lead setter, it should almost always be paired with Fake Out or with some way of circumnavigating around opposing Trick Room stops such as Taunt or opposing Fake Out.

- Midgame Reuniclus likes to focus more on punching holes for the rest of the team to clean up, depending on its partner you can choose to be very liberal about attacking at everything (ie, it's paired with a spread attacker like camel or abomasnow)

- Even if Trick Room is down, if buying a KO that turn puts you in a better spot than getting Trick Room up again, for the love of god just attack (seen enough games where the player makes this mistake)

[Team Options]
- Checks to Dark-type Pokemon such as the already mentioned Scrafty, but also, Hariyama and Conkeldurr which enjoy the speed control as well. These 'mons also beat Steel-types not named Aegislash (or Metagross) so you don't need to rely on Focus Blast.

- Abomasnow provides a powerful spread attacker next to Reuniclus and the two can punch through teams quite effectively, though again the Steel-type issue is annoying. Mega Camerupt also provides a similar service, though you already mentioned it under Aegislash checks, it does deserve a mention here as well because it is a powerful offensive partner.

- Other Trick Room attackers such as Rhyperior and Sylveon work well. Rhyperior beats Steel-types, Fire-types, and Dark-types such as Tyranitar and Bisharp, as well as provides a strong physical presence. In exchange, Reuniclus provides speed control and a check to Grass-types such as Breloom, Venusaur, and Amoonguss. Sylveon beats Dark-types, and also provides powerful spread coverage to help break down opposing teams.

[Other Options]
- Colbur Berry

[Checks and Counters]
**Speed** Priority attacks such Sucker Punch from Bisharp and Kangaskhan (on the typing advantage, switch Bisharps Sucker Punch into Knock Off), Brave Bird from Talonflame. Faster threats outside Trick Room such as Kangaskhan, Bisharp, and Charizard can OHKO it before it sets up.

**Utility**
Encore can lock it in to Trick Room

Fake Out?????

Do for 2/3 and get it written up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)