Reuniclus (QC: 3/3) (GP: 2/2)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

I'm cuter than IRL

[Overview]

<p>Reuniclus pairs perfectly with Trick Room: it has good all-around defenses to set up Trick Room reliably, poor Speed that is perfectly designed to use Trick Room, and an impressive Special Attack stat that allows for sweeping under Trick Room seem like a match made in heaven. It even has good neutral coverage, with access to Focus Blast, which is rare among Trick Room users. However, its specialized traits do make it one-sided and predictable. It also faces competition with much bulkier Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Musharna that set up Trick Room with more consistency and permit self-damaging spread moves from teammates by virtue of their abilities. 4-moveslot syndrome also limits what Reuniclus can do in a match. However, its immunity to residual damage and high offensive presence set it apart from other Trick Roomers, and still stands out as one of its most effective users.</p>

[SET]
name: Trick Room Attacker
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Quiet
evs: 172 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 56 SpD
ivs: 0 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reuniclus is a solid user of Trick Room, as it sets it up to allow both itself and its teammates to sweep. Psychic is Reuniclus's best attack and is very strong against many targets; Psychock is slightly weaker but targets Pokemon with weaker Defense, such as Amoonguss, Politoed and Terrakion in a sandstorm. Focus Blast nails Dark-types and Steel-types, and while it has shaky accuracy, the payoff is great. Trick Room teams may prefer Reuniclus's power as opposed to bulkier Trick Room setters such as Cresselia and Musharna while still sporting enough bulk to set it up, making it one of the few reliable Trick Room users that can actually sweep alongside the TR sweepers rather than being pure support. Its Magic Guard ability grants the Life Orb boost for free, allow it to function normally in damaging weather, and its immunity to residual damage aids its overall bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Reuniclus needs Trick Room to function at its best, hence the minimum Speed investment and Speed-lowering nature. The EV spread is used to survive Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor more than 50% of the time, which 252 HP EVs alone would fail to do, in exchange for leaving it slightly more vulnerable to a OHKO from Tyranitar (which it can still survive), which can be remedied with an Intimidate from a teammate. Reuniclus has Shadow Ball to nail Psychic-types like Cresselia, Latios, and opposing Reuniclus, but that job is better left to teammates, and Focus Blast is a many other Psychic-types do not have access to. If you feel it is necessary to pack more coverage with Reuniclus, it can forgo Protect, but it will be more reliant on teammates to aid its set up. While Life Orb adds to Reuniclus's potent strength, Mental Herb and Chesto Berry can be used as consistency boosters, ensuring Trick Room goes or stays up even in the face of Taunt and Encore or Spore, respectively. Lum Berry can be used over Chesto Berry if one does not want their Reuniclus paralyzed or confused, though keep in mind it actually appreciates being burned or poisoned to avoid sleep-inducing moves.</p>

<p>Pokemon that can function in Trick Room make great partners, especially if they can take out bulky Psychic-types; Scrafty, Escavalier, and even Rhyperior (to handle Jirachi) are good choices, and can sweep alongside Reuniclus. Pokemon that can aid in the setting of Trick Room, such as Amoonguss's Rage Powder or Fake Out from Scrafty, Hitmontop, or Hariyama, make good partners, and provide additional support with Spore or Fighting attacks to ward off Dark-types; Scrafty gets special mention for also deterring Ghost- and Psychic-types. Fire-types can ward off Sableye and roast Steel-types instead of relying on the inaccurate Focus Blast; Chandelure can hit Psychic- and Ghost-types with STAB Shadow Ball, while Heatran resists their attacks. As Reuniclus is immune to weather damage, Trick Room teams that utilize hail or sandstorm really appreciate Reuniclus as a partner, especially because Reuniclus disposes of problematic Fighting-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Reuniclus has plenty of supportive options like Helping Hand, Skill Swap, Imprison, and Gravity, but is better left off to bulkier or faster Psychic-types that have more teammate-friendly abilities such as Levitate or Telepathy; Reuniclus is better off attacking anyway, though Skill Swapping Magic Guard is still cool. Hidden Power Fire is Reuniclus's strongest move against Scizor, Escavalier, and Metagross, but is useless against anything else, especially Tyranitar. Other offensive options include Energy Ball for Gastrodon, Signal Beam for Dark-types and Psychic-types, and Thunder mainly for a strong hit on Sableye (strangely, Reuniclus does not get Thunderbolt), but Focus Blast and to an extent Shadow Ball's coverage is superior. Magic Coat reflects Spore, Taunt, and Encore directed at Reuniclus, relieving the slot for Mental Herb, but leaves Reuniclus with mono-coverage and requires prediction, unlike Mental Herb. Colbur Berry allows Reuniclus to tank a Dark-type move and set up Trick Room or retaliate with Focus Blast. After You is nifty for non-dedicated Trick Room teams, as it allows Reuniclus to help a fast teammate move before an otherwise slower opponent (with Trick Room active), provided Reuniclus gets to act first. Imprison can allow Reuniclus to stop opposing Trick Room users from neutralizing its own Trick Room and turns the tables on the slower Musharna, but faster users of Imprison + Trick Room, such as Chandelure and Uxie, will still stop it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Spore (Breloom, Amoonguss), Taunt (Thundurus-I, Terrakion, Heatran), and Encore (Whimsicott, Liepard) can stop a Reuniclus without the appropriate item from setting up, or force a switch in terms of Encore, neutering it and its teammates' offensive potential. Dark-types, such as Hydreigon, Bisharp, Darkrai, and Tyranitar, as well as Bug-types, such as Volcarona, Genesect and Escavalier, all threaten to damage Reuniclus beyond repair or KO outright, which is another alternative to preventing Trick Room. Sableye stands out as the biggest obstacle for Reuniclus. It is completely immune to its attacks, has Taunt to stop Trick Room, and can burn its physically-oriented teammates. Phazing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind from Pokemon such as Latias and Suicune can stop Reuniclus from setting up Trick Room due to the latter's lower priority, and bypass Mental Herb.</p>

<p>Bulky Psychic-types such as Cresselia, Musharna, Jirachi, and Latias are Reuniclus's next biggest problems, and not just because they resist its main attacks; Trick Room users that are faster than Reuniclus can reset Trick Room as or after it goes up, regaining the Speed advantage and setting Reuniclus back. While rare, Imprison + Trick Room users can stop Trick Room as long as they remain in battle, and since its main users, Musharna and Uxie, will be difficult for Reuniclus to get rid of. These bulky Psychic-types also know Light Screen, which helps in waiting out Trick Room. Offensive Psychic-types, on the other hand, such as Latios and Victini, can easily take a hit from Reuniclus without Shadow Ball and strike with ludicrously powerful moves like Draco Meteor or V-Create. Steel-types that take neutral damage from Fighting-type attacks, such as Scizor, Escavalier, Metagross, Bronzong, and Jirachi, can also stop Reuniclus, the former three hitting Reuniclus very hard and the latter two being bulky enough to wear out Trick Room; Jirachi's Follow Me can also get in Reuniclus's way. Even though Reuniclus's bulk is acceptable, it is vulnerable to powerful STAB attacks if they are boosted by Gems and/or weather, namely Life Orb Kingdra's rain boosted Hydro Pump and Kyurem-Black's Dragon Gem-boosted Dragon Claw/Outrage.</p>

Last edited:
I'm just gonna quickly say that since Reuniclus is in B Rank (or at it least it was last I checked), this skeleton isn't going to be a big priority, so if it takes awhile, that is why.

Not enough time on my hands to say much, but Magic Coat is an OO. Great for reversing Taunts, Encores, Spores, and the likes.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, some things that should be added:
  • Dark types such as Bisharp, Tyranitar and Darkrai to checks and counters
  • Also, Volcarona and Heracross should go there too
  • Mention that without Trick Room setup, anything that outspeeds and can hit hard suh as kyurem-B can act as a check
  • Mention specific users of the moves when talking about taunt, spore etc.
  • Mention how anything that appreciates Trick Room support can make a good partner
  • Amoonguss would be a good one to mention specifically since it can give free setup opportunities w/ rage powder.
  • Hitmontop/Scrafty/Hariyama should also be talked about since they can give Fake Out support and let you set Trick Room more easily, they can beat Dark types and they can potentially function under Trick Room.
  • Colburr berry (or whatever it's called) should get an OO mention to give more leeway against Dark-types
Will give a more comprehensive look later but implement these @Punchshroom

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Checks and Counters
Roar Latias- No trick room for you
Be specific about what Pokemon use the strong attacks. Stab Dark Pulse doesn't see much use at all,

I would mention Chesto Berry eveywhere in stead of Lum. Since Rank is really effected by anything other than sleep. There isn't much of a point in caring about them Which you would end up wasting Lum on if that so happened.

Mention somewhere that Reuniclus is often found on hail room teams or a trick room sand team thanks to it's ability it also takes no damage from weather, so it may be a better choice than other trickroom users

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
(QC Approved 2/3)
this looks good, i'm sure the write up will be good

Last edited:
Overview

I dunno about everyone else, but when I imagine the "face of Trick Room offense", I see Expert Belt Cresselia, Water Gem Jellicent, and Chandelure. Tbh, I view Reuniclus as a pokemon that has difficulty showing itself as a better TR setter than aforementioned options, and it should be treated/written as such. Yes, you do a good job showing how there are bulkier TR setters, but there also happen to be ones with more offensive presense, and offensive Cresselia has better all-around super-effective coverage, so mention those too.

Trick Room Attacker

I in all honesty do not like the wording "very capable" in the first sentence. Reuniclus is outclassed in a very large pool of aspects, so I'd word it more like "solid" or something along those lines. Basically, the point needs to be put across that in most cases there will be better options than it.

I also think you shuld portray Focus Blast as a risky, but rewarding move. When it hits, it pays off a lot, when it doesn't, the Dark-types kill you. It shouldn't simply be "worth the risk", you should note that the risk is high, the reward is also high.

Trick Room Attacker- Additional Comments

I'm curious about this spread, as a chance to live a Draco Meteor isn't exactly my preference, its basically leaving it to luck to see if you get Trick Room up or not, etc. Also, if there is nothing specific those defense EVs do, put them into HP or SpD, if there is, mention it.

Lum Berry and Chesto Berry are both options for avoiding Spore, I personally favor Lum because it prevents freeze in case your opponent is having a lucky day, and avoids the possible lucky full paralysis from a Thunder Wave or confusion damage from a Swagger. Overall, its higher utility and ability to work in other situations makes it better than Chesto Berry, unless you run Rest or something along those lines. Bottom line, Reuniclus DOES mind other status, not burn or poison, but TWave and Swagger are more common, and I for one would prefer to avoid having to deal with those.

Other Options

Great job here! I honestly don't have much of anything to add.

Checks & Counters

When you say Thundurus, Breloom, and Whimsicott, respectively, add in that others with the moves of Taunt, Encore, and Spore will also work, such as Taunt Terrakion, Taunt Heatran, Spore Amoonguss, Encore Liepard, etc.

Right off the bat, one of Reuniclus's greatest enemies is Sableye, apart from Shadow Ball Reuniclus cannot touch it, it has Prankster Taunt to shut it down, can burn partnered physical attackers with priority, can heal off of Reuniclus's bulk easily with Pain Split, and can stop it with Fake Out. I can think of absolutely nothing Reuniclus despises more than the little devil, so mention it, and mention it some more.

Alright, so list some specific counters under Trick Room. Amoonguss for one is going to be a pain, Sporing something with high speed. Tyranitar will also be very fast, and a nuisance to deal with. When you mention Cresselia, specifically mention its ability to reverse Trick Room, messing with your strategy very efficiently. Scizor, Metagross, and other will also be dangerous under Trick Room.

Finally, mention Imprison + Trick Room, while fairly rare, it is going to give Reuniclus a lot of trouble, especially if the Imprisoner is Musharna or Uxie.

Done

Well, I hope I was helpful. :)

Punchshroom

Overview

I dunno about everyone else, but when I imagine the "face of Trick Room offense", I see Expert Belt Cresselia, Water Gem Jellicent, and Chandelure. Tbh, I view Reuniclus as a pokemon that has difficulty showing itself as a better TR setter than aforementioned options, and it should be treated/written as such. Yes, you do a good job showing how there are bulkier TR setters, but there also happen to be ones with more offensive presense, and offensive Cresselia has better all-around super-effective coverage, so mention those too.
Well I thought it was a common opinion :I . EB Cress can't get past popular TR threats in Metagross, Tyranitar and friends, Jellicent needs Follow Me/Rage Powder support if it doesn't want its Water Gem wasted, and Chandy's weakness to common spread moves means that while it can be a greater threat, setting up TR won't be easy with it. But yeah, I should still try to tone it down somewhat.

Trick Room Attacker

I in all honesty do not like the wording "very capable" in the first sentence. Reuniclus is outclassed in a very large pool of aspects, so I'd word it more like "solid" or something along those lines. Basically, the point needs to be put across that in most cases there will be better options than it.
Honestly I don't see how Reuniclus is that badly outclassed by other setters: its bulk is not that far behind from the bulkiest TR setters but its offensive prowess is leagues better. There will be better options for it defensively (I'll add that, though the Overview kinda did that already), but Reuniclus allows you to go for a dual sweep, rather than having one sweep and the other support.

I also think you shuld portray Focus Blast as a risky, but rewarding move. When it hits, it pays off a lot, when it doesn't, the Dark-types kill you. It shouldn't simply be "worth the risk", you should note that the risk is high, the reward is also high.
Focus Miss after all :P. It's still a lot better than not having it at all though.

Trick Room Attacker- Additional Comments

I'm curious about this spread, as a chance to live a Draco Meteor isn't exactly my preference, its basically leaving it to luck to see if you get Trick Room up or not, etc. Also, if there is nothing specific those defense EVs do, put them into HP or SpD, if there is, mention it.
Yeah, they're for TTar's Crunch, but the defense EVs reach a jump point anyway as opposed to full HP investment.

Lum Berry and Chesto Berry are both options for avoiding Spore, I personally favor Lum because it prevents freeze in case your opponent is having a lucky day, and avoids the possible lucky full paralysis from a Thunder Wave or confusion damage from a Swagger. Overall, its higher utility and ability to work in other situations makes it better than Chesto Berry, unless you run Rest or something along those lines. Bottom line, Reuniclus DOES mind other status, not burn or poison, but TWave and Swagger are more common, and I for one would prefer to avoid having to deal with those.
Yeah you're right about this one.

Other Options

Great job here! I honestly don't have much of anything to add.
Thanks!

Checks & Counters

When you say Thundurus, Breloom, and Whimsicott, respectively, add in that others with the moves of Taunt, Encore, and Spore will also work, such as Taunt Terrakion, Taunt Heatran, Spore Amoonguss, Encore Liepard, etc.
That's quite a lot to add. While it may look unprofessional, do you think adding brackets to each move like "...Spore (Breloom, Amoonguss), Taunt (Thundurus-I, Terrakion, Heatran), and Encore (Whimsicott, Liepard)" will make this less cluttered?

Right off the bat, one of Reuniclus's greatest enemies is Sableye, apart from Shadow Ball Reuniclus cannot touch it, it has Prankster Taunt to shut it down, can burn partnered physical attackers with priority, can heal off of Reuniclus's bulk easily with Pain Split, and can stop it with Fake Out. I can think of absolutely nothing Reuniclus despises more than the little devil, so mention it, and mention it some more.
Gdi, can't believe I forgot this little (BAN ME PLEASE).

Alright, so list some specific counters under Trick Room. Amoonguss for one is going to be a pain, Sporing something with high speed. Tyranitar will also be very fast, and a nuisance to deal with. When you mention Cresselia, specifically mention its ability to reverse Trick Room, messing with your strategy very efficiently. Scizor, Metagross, and other will also be dangerous under Trick Room.
I already mentioned Breloom, won't adding Amoonguss be redundant? (Even then, speedties expose Amoonguss itself to Psychic attacks). I also mentioned the reversing of Trick Room already in the last of C&C, but I can mention Cress in there. Most of the super-effective threats have already been mentioned, and are threats to Reuni regardless of TR.

Finally, mention Imprison + Trick Room, while fairly rare, it is going to give Reuniclus a lot of trouble, especially if the Imprisoner is Musharna or Uxie.
Forgot this one, okay.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Formatting: Add a space right under Set Comments, AC, OO, and Checks & Counters

Overview: Remove Uxie - it's not at all common in Doubles; probably worse than Reuniclus tbh

Moveset: Change the EV Spread to 172 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 56 SpD - your spread still has a 50% chance to die to Latios's Dragon Gem DM. The survival rate from Tyranitar's Crunch remains the same.

Set Comments: You can beef this up imo. You simply provided a sentence on each moves. What sort of team would opt for Reuniclus over other bulky TR setters like Cresselia? How does this Reuniclus usually play out in battle?

You also definitely want to explain its ability. Magic Guard is one of its major advantage over mons like Musharna and Cresselia, allowing it to circumvent residual damage and also earn a free LO boost for a strong punch.

Additional Comments: Mention that Reuniclus can forego Protect for additional coverage moves, such as Shadow Ball or Thunder, to better combat opposing Psychic-types or Sableye.

Fire-types, such as Chandelure and Heatran are worthy teammate options imo. They both can inflict respectable damages to Cresselia and roast Steel-types and Sableye. Although Chandelure offers the super effective Shadow Ball, Heatran offers some crucial resistances to Dark- and Ghost-type moves.

Other Options: You have went a bit overboard here. Remove Regenerator, Wonder Room, Telekinesis, and physical movepool.

Note that Skill Swap is actually cool for passing Magic Guard, which is a really good ability that any mon with LO can appreciate.
Note that Energy Ball comes in handy if ones' team is particularly troubled by Gastrodon.
Note that compared to Shadow Ball, Signal Beam offer super effective coverage to BOTH Dark- and Psychic-types for a negligible drop in power. Warn that Reuniclus cannot hit dangerous Ghost-types such as Chandelure super effectively without Shadow Ball.

After You is actually really cool for allowing a faster mon to move first under Trick Room - say Reuniclus's uses After You and lets Heatran kill off Escavalier before it can knock out Reuniclus.

Checks & Counters: Remove mentions of Uxie, it's such an obsolete threat from my experience

Latios is worth mentioning, since it resists Reuniclus's offense that lacks Shadow Ball or Signal Beam, and have a good chance to KO Reuniclus with a Gem-boosted Draco Meteor.

Victini also resists Psychic + Fighting, and knocks out Reuniclus with a power V-create

Offer examples of neutral hits that can seriously maim Reuniclus when the TR expires. LO Kingdra's Hydro Pump in the Rain and a DClaw / Outrage from CB / Dragon Gem Kyurem-B, for instance

EDIT: @Nollan - I'm fine with that if Punchshroom specifies what you just described, since I'm sure nobody knows what Uxie does in Doubles.

Last edited:
Checks & Counters: Remove mentions of Uxie, it's such an obsolete threat from my experience
Uxie can make good use of Imprison + Trick Room when Cress can't, I'd keep it mentioned under the sentence about Imprison + Trick Room, as Uxie is one of the best abusers of said combination, with Musharna and Chandelure being the other common choices for said role.

Punchshroom

Formatting: Add a space right under Set Comments, AC, OO, and Checks & Counters

Overview: Remove Uxie - it's not at all common in Doubles; probably worse than Reuniclus tbh
Why is Uxie being compared to Reuniclus and not Cress or Musharna?

: Change the EV Spread to 172 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 56 SpD - your spread still has a 50% chance to die to Latios's Dragon Gem DM. The survival rate from Tyranitar's Crunch remains the same.
I could have sworn I ran the calcs right...on it.

Set Comments
: You can beef this up imo. You simply provided a sentence on each moves. What sort of team would opt for Reuniclus over other bulky TR setters like Cresselia? How does this Reuniclus usually play out in battle?

You also definitely want to explain its ability. Magic Guard is one of its major advantage over mons like Musharna and Cresselia, allowing it to circumvent residual damage and also earn a free LO boost for a strong punch.
Reuniclus is pretty straight-forward due to its one-dimensionality. I'll try to add more.

Additional Comments
: Mention that Reuniclus can forego Protect for additional coverage moves, such as Shadow Ball or Thunder, to better combat opposing Psychic-types or Sableye.

Fire-types, such as Chandelure and Heatran are worthy teammate options imo. They both can inflict respectable damages to Cresselia and roast Steel-types and Sableye. Although Chandelure offers the super effective Shadow Ball, Heatran offers some crucial resistances to Dark- and Ghost-type moves.
Added, but i still listed the coverage options (over Protect) in OO as opposed to AC.

Other Options
: You have went a bit overboard here. Remove Regenerator, Wonder Room, Telekinesis, and physical movepool.

Note that Skill Swap is actually cool for passing Magic Guard, which is a really good ability that any mon with LO can appreciate.
Note that Energy Ball comes in handy if ones' team is particularly troubled by Gastrodon.
Note that compared to Shadow Ball, Signal Beam offer super effective coverage to BOTH Dark- and Psychic-types for a negligible drop in power. Warn that Reuniclus cannot hit dangerous Ghost-types such as Chandelure super effectively without Shadow Ball.

After You is actually really cool for allowing a faster mon to move first under Trick Room - say Reuniclus's uses After You and lets Heatran kill off Escavalier before it can knock out Reuniclus.
Regenerator omitted completely? Isn't a Trick Roomer that has a good chance to reset TR even after taking damage at least worth mentioning? Also, doesn't Esca KO Reuniclus before After You anyway? Added the rest, and added Imprison as well.

Checks & Counters
: Remove mentions of Uxie, it's such an obsolete threat from my experience

Latios is worth mentioning, since it resists Reuniclus's offense that lacks Shadow Ball or Signal Beam, and have a good chance to KO Reuniclus with a Gem-boosted Draco Meteor.

Victini also resists Psychic + Fighting, and knocks out Reuniclus with a power V-create

Offer examples of neutral hits that can seriously maim Reuniclus when the TR expires. LO Kingdra's Hydro Pump in the Rain and a DClaw / Outrage from CB / Dragon Gem Kyurem-B, for instance
Uxie is obsolete compared to even Musharna? It is still the fastest of the notorious bulky Psychics.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is Uxie being compared to Reuniclus and not Cress or Musharna?
That's not the point - why mention an obscure threat like Uxie in the first place? I've never seen a competent user use Uxie yet. Isn't it virtually outclassed by Cresselia?

Your Set Comments improved ten folds - great job. Still, you got to mention free LO boost if you're talking about Magic Guard. That's one of the main selling points that Reuniclus has over Cresselia / Musharna. I know you bring it up briefly under AC, but it should also be emphasized under Set Comment, too.

Regenerator omitted completely? Isn't a Trick Roomer that has a good chance to reset TR even after taking damage at least worth mentioning? Also, doesn't Esca KO Reuniclus before After You anyway? Added the rest, and added Imprison as well.
Terrible example on my part. However, After You is nice on a non-dedictated Trick Room team, allowing speedy Pokemon like Latios or Skymin to operate even under Trick Room.

Yea, remove Regenerator plz - Magic Guard's free LO boost is too good to pass up. Why undermine Reuniclus's appeal (nuking things) over Cress / Mush by removing Magic Guard? I'm actually opposed to slashing Mental Herb with Life Orb, but I'll leave that judgment call to you.

Uxie is obsolete compared to even Musharna? It is still the fastest of the notorious bulky Psychics.
Musharna's bulk combined with Telepathy is a major selling point. Uxie is just a poor man's Cresselia - increased Speed does not compensate for all-round inferior bulk. Heal Bell and Imprison are Uxie's only selling points over Cresselia.

Even though Reuniclus's bulk is acceptable, it is vulnerable to powerful STAB attacks if they are boosted by Gems, weather or super effectiveness, namely Life Orb Kingdra's Rain boosted Hydro Pump or Kyurem-Black's Dragon Gem-boosted Dragon Claw/Outrage.
Remove the part in Red, since we've already covered Checks that can hit it super-effectively. We're listing Pokemon that can hit Reuniclus hard even without the 2x damage modifier. Also emphasize that Reuniclus is vulnerable to these hard hitting moves especially on the turn that Trick Room runs out.

I trust that you'll make these changes, as you've done the last time ;)

QC Approved (3/3)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
@Punchshroom remember to post in the GP queue next time so we can get right on it!

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>This unassuming jelly-incarnate Reuniclus pairs perfectly with Trick Room: good all-around defenses to set up Trick Room reliably, poor Speed that is perfectly designed to use Trick Room, and an impressive Special Attack stat that allows for sweeping under Trick Room seem like a match made in heaven. It even has good neutral coverage, with access to Focus Blast, (AC) which is rare among Trick Room users. However, its specialized traits do make it one-sided and predictable. It also faces competition with much bulkier Psychic-types like such as Cresselia and Musharna that set up Trick Room with more consistency and permit self-damaging spread moves from teammates by virtue of their abilities. 4-moveslot syndrome also limits what Reuniclus can do in a match. However, its immunity to residual damage and high offensive presence sets it apart from other Trick Roomers, and still stands out as one of its most effective users.</p>

[SET]
nature: Quiet Nature

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reuniclus is a solid user of Trick Room, as it sets it up to rev both itself and its teammates up to sweep. Psychic is Reuniclus's best attack and is very strong against many targets; Psychock is slightly weaker but targets Pokemon with weaker Defense, such as Amoonguss, Politoed, (AC) and Terrakion in a sandstorm. Focus Blast nails Dark-types and Steel-types, and while it has shaky accuracy, the payoff is great. Trick Room teams may prefer Reuniclus's power as opposed to bulkier Trick Room setters like such as Cresselia and Musharna while still sporting enough bulk to set it up, making it one of the few reliable Trick Room users that can actually sweep alongside the Trick Room sweepers rather than being pure support. Its Magic Guard ability grants the Life Orb boost for free, and allow it to function normally in damaging weather, as immunity to residual damage aids its overall bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Reuniclus really needs Trick Room to function at its best, hence the minimum Speed investment and Speed-lowering nature. The EV spread is used to survive Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor more than 50% of the time, which 252 HP EVs alone would fail to do, in exchange for leaving it negligibly more vulnerable to a OHKO from Tyranitar (which it can still survive from with the Defense EVs), which can be remedied with an Intimidate from a teammate. Reuniclus has Shadow Ball to nail Psychic-types like Cresselia, Latios, (AC) and opposing Reuniclus, but they are better left to teammates to dispose of and Focus Blast is a move other Psychic-types rarely have access to. If you feel it is necessary to pack more coverage with Reuniclus, it can forgo Protect, but as a result it is more reliant on teammates to aid its setup. While Life Orb adds to Reuniclus's potent strength in wiping out opponents, Mental Herb and Chesto Berry can be used as consistency boosters, ensuring Trick Room goes or stays up even in the face of Taunt and Encore or Spore, respectively. Lum Berry can be used over Chesto Berry if one does not want their Reuniclus paralyzed or confused, though note it actually appreciates being burned or poisoned to avoid sleep-inducing moves.</p>

<p>Pokemon that can function in Trick Room make great partners, especially if they can take out bulky Psychic-types; Scrafty, Escavalier, (AC) and even Rhyperior (to handle Jirachi) are good choices, and can sweep alongside Reuniclus. Pokemon that can aid in the setting of Trick Room, such as Amoonguss's Rage Powder or Fake Out from Scrafty, Hitmontop, or Hariyama, make good partners, and provide additional support with Spore or Fighting attacks to ward off Dark-types; Scrafty gets special mention for also deterring Ghost- and Psychic-types. Fire-types can ward off Sableye and roast Steel-types instead of relying on the inaccurate Focus Blast; Chandelure can hit Psychic- and Ghost-types with STAB Shadow Ball, while Heatran resists their attacks. Since As Reuniclus is immune to weather damage, Trick Room teams that utilize hail or sandstorm really appreciate Reuniclus as a partner, especially as Reuniclus disposes of problematic Fighting-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Reuniclus has plenty of supportive options like Helping Hand, Skill Swap, Imprison, (ac) and Gravity, but is better left off to bulkier or faster Psychic-types that have more teammate-friendly abilities such as Levitate or Telepathy; Reuniclus is better off attacking anyway, though Skill Swapping Magic Guard is still cool. Hidden Power Fire is Reuniclus's strongest move against Scizor, Escavalier, (AC) and Metagross, but is useless against most anything else, especially Tyranitar. Other offensive options include Energy Ball for Gastrodon, Signal Beam for both Dark-types and Psychic-types, (AC) and Thunder mainly for a strong hit on Sableye (no Thunderbolt strangely strangely, Reuniclus does not get Thunderbolt), but Focus Blast and to an extent Shadow Ball's coverage is superior. Magic Coat reflects Spores, Taunts, (AC) and Encores directed at Reuniclus, relieving the slot for Mental Herb, but leaves Reuniclus with mono-coverage and does require prediction, (AC) unlike Mental Herb. Colbur Berry allows Reuniclus to tank a Dark-type move to set up Trick Room or retaliate with Focus Blast. After You is nifty for non-dedicated Trick Room teams, as it allows Reuniclus to help a fast teammate move before an otherwise slower opponent (with Trick Room active), provided Reuniclus gets to act first. Imprison can allow Reuniclus to stop opposing Trick Room users from neutralizing its own Trick Room and turns the tables on the slower Musharna, but faster users of Imprison + Trick Room, (AC) such as Chandelure and Uxie, (AC) will still stop it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Spore (Breloom, Amoonguss), Taunt (Thundurus-I, Terrakion, Heatran), and Encore (Whimsicott, Liepard) can stop a Reuniclus without the appropriate item from setting up Trick Room or force a switch in terms of Encore, neutering it and its teammates' offensive potential. Dark-types, such as Hydreigon, Bisharp, Darkrai, (AC) and Tyranitar, as well as Bug-types, such as like Volcarona, Genesect, (AC) and Escavalier, all threaten to damage Reuniclus beyond repair or KO outright, which is another alternative to preventing Trick Room. Sableye stands out as the biggest obstacle for Reuniclus. It is being completely immune to its attacks, has Taunt to stop Trick Room, and can burn its physically-oriented teammates. Phazing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind from Pokemon such as Latias and Suicune can stop Reuniclus from setting up Trick Room due to the latter's lower priority, and bypasses Mental Herb.</p>

<p>Bulky Psychic-types such as Cresselia, Musharna, Jirachi, and Latias, (RC) are Reuniclus's next biggest problems, and not just because they resist the latter's its main attacks; Trick Room users that are faster than Reuniclus can reset Trick Room as or after it goes up, regaining the Speed advantage and setting Reuniclus back; while rare, Imprison + Trick Room users can stop Trick Room as long as they remain in battle, and since its this strategy's main users, Musharna and Uxie, will prove difficult for Reuniclus to get rid of. These bulky Psychic-types even know Light Screen, which helps in waiting out Trick Room. Offensive Psychic-types, (AC) on the other hand, such as Latios and Victini, can easily take a hit from Reuniclus without Shadow Ball and strike with ludicrously powerful moves in like Draco Meteor or V-Create. Steel-types that take neutral damage from Fighting-type attacks with Fighting neutralities, such as Scizor, Escavalier, Metagross, Bronzong, (AC) and Jirachi, (AC) can all stop Reuniclus, the former three hitting Reuniclus very hard and the latter two being bulky enough just not going down quickly to wear out Trick Room; Jirachi's Follow Me can also easily get in Reuniclus's way. Even though Reuniclus's bulk is acceptable, it is vulnerable to powerful STAB attacks if they are boosted by Gems and/or weather, namely Life Orb Kingdra's rain-boosted Hydro Pump or Kyurem-Black's Dragon Gem-boosted Dragon Claw/Outrage.</p>

1/2

There were some basic errors here, like serial commas and capitalizations...just make sure they don't happen again!

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Amcheck

Additions
Removals
Comments

[Overview]
<p>Reuniclus pairs perfectly with Trick Room: it has good all-around defenses to set up Trick Room reliably, poor Speed that is perfectly designed to use Trick Room, and an impressive Special Attack stat that allows for sweeping under Trick Room seem like a match made in heaven. It even has good neutral coverage, with access to Focus Blast, which is rare among Trick Room users. However, its specialized traits do make it one-sided and predictable. It also faces competition with much bulkier Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Musharna that set up Trick Room with more consistency and permit self-damaging spread moves from teammates by virtue of their abilities. 4-moveslot syndrome also limits what Reuniclus can do in a match. However, its immunity to residual damage and high offensive presence set it apart from other Trick Roomers, and still stands out as one of its most effective users.</p>

[SET]
nature: Quiet

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reuniclus is a solid user of Trick Room, as it sets it up to
rev allow both itself and its teammates up to sweep. Psychic is Reuniclus's Reuniclus' best attack and is very strong against many targets; Psychock is slightly weaker but targets Pokemon with weaker Defense, such as Amoonguss, Politoed and Terrakion in a sandstorm. Focus Blast nails Dark-types and Steel-types, and while it has shaky accuracy, the payoff is great. Trick Room teams may prefer Reuniclus's power as opposed to bulkier Trick Room setters such as Cresselia and Musharna while still sporting enough bulk to set it up, making it one of the few reliable Trick Room users that can actually sweep alongside the TR sweepers rather than being pure support. Its Magic Guard ability grants the Life Orb boost for free, and allow it to function normally in damaging weather, as and its immunity to residual damage aids its overall bulk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Reuniclus
really needs Trick Room to function at its best, hence the minimum Speed investment and Speed-lowering nature. The EV spread is used to survive Latios's Dragon Gem-boosted Draco Meteor more than 50% of the time, which 252 HP EVs alone would fail to do, in exchange for leaving it negligibly slightly more vulnerable to a OHKO from Tyranitar (which it can still survive from with the Defense EVs), which can be remedied with an Intimidate from a teammate. Reuniclus has Shadow Ball to nail Psychic-types like Cresselia, Latios, and opposing Reuniclus, but they are that job is better left to teammates to dispose of, (AC) and Focus Blast is a move many other Psychic-types rarely do not have access to. If you feel it is necessary to pack more coverage with Reuniclus, it can forgo Protect, but as a result it is will be more reliant on teammates to aid its set up. While Life Orb adds to Reuniclus's potent strength in wiping out opponents, Mental Herb and Chesto Berry can be used as consistency boosters, ensuring Trick Room goes or stays up even in the face of Taunt and Encore or Spore, respectively. Lum Berry can be used over Chesto Berry if one does not want their Reuniclus paralyzed or confused, though note keep in mind that it actually appreciates being burned or poisoned to avoid sleep-inducing moves.</p>

<p>Pokemon that can function in Trick Room make great partners, especially if they can take out bulky Psychic-types; Scrafty, Escavalier, and even Rhyperior (to handle Jirachi) are good choices, and can sweep alongside Reuniclus. Pokemon that can aid in the setting of Trick Room, such as Amoonguss's Rage Powder or Fake Out from Scrafty, Hitmontop, or Hariyama, make good partners, and provide additional support with Spore or Fighting attacks to ward off Dark-types; Scrafty gets special mention for also deterring Ghost- and Psychic-types. Fire-types can ward off Sableye and roast Steel-types instead of relying on the inaccurate Focus Blast; Chandelure can hit Psychic- and Ghost-types with STAB Shadow Ball, while Heatran resists their attacks. As Reuniclus is immune to weather damage, Trick Room teams that utilize hail or sandstorm really appreciate Reuniclus as a partner, especially
as because Reuniclus disposes of problematic Fighting-types.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Reuniclus has plenty of supportive options like Helping Hand, Skill Swap, Imprison, and Gravity, but is better left off to bulkier or faster Psychic-types that have more teammate-friendly abilities such as Levitate or Telepathy; Reuniclus is better off attacking anyway, though Skill Swapping Magic Guard is still cool. Hidden Power Fire is Reuniclus's strongest move against Scizor, Escavalier, and Metagross, but is useless against anything else, especially Tyranitar. Other offensive options include Energy Ball for Gastrodon, Signal Beam for
both Dark-types and Psychic-types, (AC) and Thunder mainly for a strong hit on Sableye (strangely, Reuniclus does not get Thunderbolt), but Focus Blast and to an extent Shadow Ball's coverage is superior. Magic Coat reflects Spore, Taunt, and Encore directed at Reuniclus, relieving the slot for Mental Herb, but leaves Reuniclus with mono-coverage and does require requires prediction, unlike Mental Herb. Colbur Berry allows Reuniclus to tank a Dark-type move to and set up Trick Room or retaliate with Focus Blast. After You is nifty for non-dedicated Trick Room teams, as it allows Reuniclus to help a fast teammate move before an otherwise slower opponent (with Trick Room active), provided Reuniclus gets to act first. Imprison can allow Reuniclus to stop opposing Trick Room users from neutralizing its own Trick Room and turns the tables on the slower Musharna, but faster users of Imprison + Trick Room, such as Chandelure and Uxie, will still stop it.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Spore (Breloom, Amoonguss), Taunt (Thundurus-I, Terrakion, Heatran), and Encore (Whimsicott, Liepard) can stop a Reuniclus without the appropriate item from setting up
Trick Room, (AC) or force a switch in terms of Encore, neutering it and its teammates' offensive potential. Dark-types, such as Hydreigon, Bisharp, Darkrai, and Tyranitar, as well as Bug-types, such as Volcarona, Genesect and Escavalier, all threaten to damage Reuniclus beyond repair or KO outright, which is another alternative to preventing Trick Room. Sableye stands out as the biggest obstacle for Reuniclus. It is completely immune to its attacks, has Taunt to stop Trick Room, and can burn its physically-oriented teammates. Phazing moves such as Roar and Whirlwind from Pokemon such as Latias and Suicune can stop Reuniclus from setting up Trick Room due to the latter's lower priority, and bypasses bypass Mental Herb.</p>

<p>Bulky Psychic-types such as Cresselia, Musharna, Jirachi, and Latias are Reuniclus's next biggest problems, and not just because they resist
the its main attacks; Trick Room users that are faster than Reuniclus can reset Trick Room as or after it goes up, regaining the Speed advantage and setting Reuniclus back;. while While rare, Imprison + Trick Room users can stop Trick Room as long as they remain in battle, and since its main users, Musharna and Uxie, will prove be difficult for Reuniclus to get rid of. These bulky Psychic-types even also know Light Screen, which helps in waiting out Trick Room. Offensive Psychic-types, on the other hand, such as Latios and Victini, can easily take a hit from Reuniclus without Shadow Ball and strike with ludicrously powerful moves like Draco Meteor or V-Create. Steel-types that take neutral damage from Fighting-type attacks, such as Scizor, Escavalier, Metagross, Bronzong, and Jirachi, can all also stop Reuniclus, the former three hitting Reuniclus very hard and the latter two being bulky enough to wear out Trick Room; Jirachi's Follow Me can also get in Reuniclus's way. Even though Reuniclus's bulk is acceptable, it is vulnerable to powerful STAB attacks if they are boosted by Gems and/or weather, namely Life Orb Kingdra's rain boosted Hydro Pump or and Kyurem-Black's Dragon Gem-boosted Dragon Claw/Outrage.</p>

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
it's Reuniclus's, not Reuniclus'

also from checks and counters, second paragraph
and since its main users, Musharna and Uxie, will prove be difficult for Reuniclus to get rid of.

it's fine as 'prove'. Otherwise
[GP 2/2]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)