Gen 3 Revamp Attempt

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
So I pulled one of my old RMTs and tried to fix it. Focused around Subpunch Hera, but I'm thinking I need to use another set:

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 76 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Iron Tail
- Rock Slide

Letting Weezing take care of stat boosts so I can use Iron Tail for once. Probably need to use HP Rock.

Heracross (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 144 HP / 116 Atk / 164 Spd / 84 SDef
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Focus Punch
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

HP and SDef to to get Hera in on Swampert Surf/Ice Beam easier. Less damage from Zapdos isn't a bad deal either. Give suggestions on EV fixes.

Houndoom (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Will-O-Wisp

I usually use Lum Berry on Houndoom when dealing with Gengars, though without Pursuit, it might be a wasted effort. Perhaps I can trade Crunch for Pursuit? I'd rather not rid myself of the last two slots.

Weezing (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 200 HP / 36 Atk / 252 Def / 20 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Fire Blast
- Haze
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb

One reason I didn't want to get rid of WoW on Houndoom. Fire Blast ruins Rest Skarm.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
- Rest
- Surf

Steelix + Weezing + Reflect Suicune make for an excellent way to bolster the team's defense. I'd rather have Roar, to be honest, but I definitely need a solid counter to Salamence.

Hypno (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Wish

This is more or less filler. I needed a way to tank off special hits and I also needed Wish support. Blissey was too boring to fill this role, so I used Hypno instead. Thunder Wave over Hypnosis to help Hera set up?

Hi umby. Cool stuff overall, but I would run Jirachi over Hypno, because Hypno is kinda gimmicky, (unless that's what you were going for) and Jirachi does the same thing but better. Overall I'd say you're a bit walled by Skarmbliss. Focus punches will hurt Skarm a bit, but if you're facing bellrest on Bliss and Skarm respectively you won't be getting past him, and spikes could wear Hera and Houndoom down. So I would suggest cbcross with a spinner (Starmie or Claydol would allow for roar on Suicune) or Maggy or even Blaziken over Hera with something not-fire over Houndoom. With Jirachi you wouldn't need Doom for Gar anyway.

So I pulled one of my old RMTs and tried to fix it. Focused around Subpunch Hera, but I'm thinking I need to use another set:

Steelix (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 76 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Iron Tail
- Rock Slide

Letting Weezing take care of stat boosts so I can use Iron Tail for once. Probably need to use HP Rock.

Well, you could be cool and make this CB.

Heracross (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Guts
EVs: 144 HP / 116 Atk / 164 Spd / 84 SDef
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Focus Punch
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide
- Substitute

HP and SDef to to get Hera in on Swampert Surf/Ice Beam easier. Less damage from Zapdos isn't a bad deal either. Give suggestions on EV fixes.

Im a HUGE fan of Sub/swords dance/hp rock heracross with Salac, it really catches teams off guard, and is a near unstoppable Sweeper.

Houndoom (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Early Bird
EVs: 40 HP / 216 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Will-O-Wisp

I usually use Lum Berry on Houndoom when dealing with Gengars, though without Pursuit, it might be a wasted effort. Perhaps I can trade Crunch for Pursuit? I'd rather not rid myself of the last two slots.

Well its personal preferance really. If Gengar causes problems, which he shouldnt with Hypno/Steelix. Otherwise Crunch is very valueble, especially when SDef drops happen.

Weezing (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 200 HP / 36 Atk / 252 Def / 20 Spd
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Fire Blast
- Haze
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb

One reason I didn't want to get rid of WoW on Houndoom. Fire Blast ruins Rest Skarm.

I have never been scared of a Mix Weezing. I'd say, drop WoW on doom, and put pursuit there if you like, but then just WoW weezing.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
- Rest
- Surf

Steelix + Weezing + Reflect Suicune make for an excellent way to bolster the team's defense. I'd rather have Roar, to be honest, but I definitely need a solid counter to Salamence.

Boring....like really really boring. More boring than the standard suicune even..

Hypno (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hypnosis
- Light Screen
- Psychic
- Wish

This is more or less filler. I needed a way to tank off special hits and I also needed Wish support. Blissey was too boring to fill this role, so I used Hypno instead. Thunder Wave over Hypnosis to help Hera set up?

<3, Hypno is really great. Hypnosis is meh, but i guess you already run WoW so otherwise it would conflict. Assuming Psychic is for gengar, its fine. Could put a celebi here too though.

Well overall, this team doesnt look like it can really kill anything, other than celebi and gengar, but thats always good.

If you really want my opinion, I would change Steelix into Magneton to get rid of skarm. And make heracross a Badass SD swarm salac version. And, even though this could be boring, Celebi with leech seed can work for healing support as well.

Since Steelix's explosion is the only thing standing in the way between Tauntrados and an easy sweep, I wouldn't recommend getting rid of Steelix! I realize you're a fan of the whole "risk/reward" concept but removing Steelix creates too great a risk for the reward of possibly sweeping with mopcross, considering Gyarados can potentially stop mopcross with Intimidate and decent defense and HP stats, and he'll have nothing to battle back a sweep from Gyarados in return.

Steelix can be a real asset imo.

Umby, defensively your team is very well thought out. It's going to put lots of major threats to a stall. However, you may have some difficulty hanging in there without taking care of spikes, being worn down by sandstorm, etc. In short, I believe you need more offense and more team synergy.

Steelix is a tremendous defensive asset to a team. When your done with defense though, Explosion on Steelix is a great idea. It will lure in bulky waters, and subsequently take them out. You should take advantage of this with someone else on your team for some synergy. I love roar on this guy for bp celebi, bp zapdos, bp ninjask, bp jolteon, ect. Your call though.

The Hera set is ok, but its gonna be put in its place by skarm, mence, and gyarados easily though. Jolly with non-max attack wont damage the way other sets will. You might go with Mop Cross like heysup said for more explosiveness.

I love houndoom to death, but he needs pursuit or he's outclassed by Moltres, Entei, Charizard, Blaziken, etc. Besides, you need to support him by taking out a special wall or passing him calm minds. Replace him with magneton for more team synergy and somewhat of spikes support.

With bulky waters and skarm out of the way, DD Salamence or Gyarados would shine in Weezing's spot. They still have great fung shway with Steelix and your wisher.

Suicune is a beast. Very sturdy set.

Props for not using Wish Blissey. shrapn3l had a nice idea in Jirachi. My favorite pokemon is Umbreon. Your name implies something similar. Just saying...

It's a nice team. Let me know what you think.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Originally it was just supposed to allow coverage for Subpunch Heracross. Even when trying to set up I have a tendancy to deviate from actually setting something up and focus on type coverage instead.

well in that case,

the first thing i noticed right away was your team's lack of viable switchins to actual Spikers such as Skarmory/Forretress/Cloyster. It's not really worth having ultra great defenses if your enemy can still wear you down with Spikes. They come in on Steelix (which I assume comes in a lot), put down a layer, and there's not too much you can do about it other than exploding Steelix on the spot =p

So without doing a total overhaul, I'd suggest replacing Steelix with Snorlax. Tack Fire Blast on it to ohko/2hko the Steel Spikers, and your entire team will be able to severely hinder Spikers. Defensively the way I see it, Haze Weezing/ Reflect Suicune don't really call for a normal resistance.

Houndoom/Weezing/Snorlax Fire attacks and Suicune's Surf will damage Spikers, Forretress/Skarmory hate taking repeated Focus Punches from Hera, and Hypno's Hypnosis will help out if you haven't used it yet.

2nd, i don't see the point in putting WoW to bait Flyers on houndoom on this team if you already are packing hp ice for Salamence. Better just to replace one or the other with Pursuit, although my preference is to choose WoW and remove hp ice so you can weaken both Gyarados and Salamence to help Hera set up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)