Revamping Analysis

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I've posted this in the Badge Nomination thread, but since it will be purged soon I might as well post this. This pertains to my peer edits only (well at least my post anyway).

---

"As for me, I will continue to work on prose. In fact, I was going to post a topic about me re-vamping my own analysis and to hold them off from being updated. As I've told people I want to show that I am worthy of the badge. And I totally understand that some people are rather dissapointed in how I explain things. It is something that I have been struggling with ever since I've done Peer Edits regularly. The Garchomp, I will admit, was rushed. And to say that some others (Tangrowth, Honchkrow, possibly Rotom-W and Rotom-F) could have been as well. But to prove that I am worthy of Contributor isn't the only reason I strive to do this; it is not only to make me a better person, but also to help present these sets to their maximum potential without random gibberish.

To sum up what I am saying: "I want to improve these articles of mine and make them look more presentable and to show that I can be a worthy contributor."

I know this statement might backlash at me; however, I wanted to say this for a long time. I am willing to improve my prose but the problem is how to exactly work on it. I'm sorry if I have failed to prove myself even worthy of the Ladybug. I am willing to prove that I at least deserve that at the very least."

---

I can understand if I sound very cheesy about this, but I felt it was necessary to say this. I am going through some of my peer edits and re-working them. From the top of my head, I am doing the following again:

• Garchomp
  • Honchkrow
  • Tangrowth
  • Rotom-W
  • Rotom-F
I think this is about it. If ANYONE here would like me to re-work something, please say so. It is EXTREMELY important.

The order is simple: Rotoms will be done first as those should be updated quickly. Following this is Garchomp because it is in dire need of updating. Honchkrow and Tangrowth can wait a little bit since they are rarely used.

I am sorry to delay my stuff even further but I want these to be perfect. And this not only speaks of sets, it also speaks of the grammar and explaination as well. I am asking for some time to do these. As for the Lead Topic of mine and the Deoxys-S Update, I will continue to do these as needed. Forgive me for doing this, but I just need some extra time to re-do these so they are near-perfect.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
A basic tip is to not rush. Once you've posted your reservation thread, it's yours unless you decide otherwise. Just slow down a bit and relax; nothing bad will happen if you post something a couple days later than you intend.

In addition to slowing down, once you've written your stuff, read it. Then read it again. Perhaps even read it out loud. Once you've read it over, make changes. Repeat until what you have both makes sense and sounds good.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
What darkie and GS said is exactly right. I read my shit out loud at least 2 times before even posting it. Reading it out loud is by far the best way to make sure that your work makes sense. Just make the analysis sound like how a human being would say it. If you try too hard to put big words and shit in there, it's no doubt going to sound awkward. Remember, there are 13-year olds reading this stuff, not everyone is a dictionary.

I often like treating each analysis like an English paper. Just imagine that the mods/admins are the teachers. Ask yourself, "What grade would I get on this if I submitted this as a good copy?"

If you practice proofreading your analyses, I have no doubt that it will also help you in English class. Proofreading is one of the most important things in English class, and if you can iron out a good technique for it here on smogon, then you'll be better than the average English student. :]

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'll take these into consideration. I promise to get these done at a decent pace. After I'm done with Havak and Scizor, I will first finish Deoxys-S. After that, I will pick through these and slowly re-write them. Proofreading was something I have become more careful of lately. I think it was ever since I wrote Floatzel too (though its probably not a good example). But I spent some time on the Baton Pass Scizor set and I felt satisfied after I proofread it. There were a few things that didn't hack through in my head (and granted I didn't quite read it aloud because someone was over) but for the most part it looked alright.

Unfortunately Bologo, I am not taking English IV (although I'm a Senior, it is optional in Michigan... for now). But, at least practice with this might help me when I'm taking Advanced Communication next marking period. ^_^ But thank you for the tips guys. I'll get to work with this one baby step at a time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)