Revenankh Analysis Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm treating this just like a proper peer review analysis, so feel free to point out every mistake you see (expecially spelling / grammer, though I did run it through spellcheck). Counters is the main section that needs work. Since last time I added a Rest Vs Moonlight section to avoid cluttering the set comments, although recommendations of which one to use on each specific set are still present.

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Shadow Punch / Shadow Sneak
move 3: Hammer Arm
move 4: Rest
item: Leftovers
ability: Shed Skin
nature: Careful
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Revenankh can easily come in on its many resists and immunities, and this takes advantage of the switches it causes. Bulk Up makes it all but impregnable to physical attacks, as well as boosting its already decent attack stat to make it an even greater threat. It has two of the best STABs in the game, Fighting and Ghost, that hit everything for at least neutral, thus it is advised to stick to these moves for offense. Rest+Shed Skin is the favoured method of healing as Status, one of the major issues with this kind of Defencive Stat-upping, is no longer an issue.

[SET]
name: Three Attacks / Life Orb
move 1: Hammer Arm
move 3: Power Whip / Ice Punch
move 4: Rest / Moonlight
item: Life Orb
ability: Shed Skin / Air Lock
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
This set has advantages over the Bulk Up set in the extra move slot, giving much better coverage and making it more of a immediate threat. STAB again provides a reasonable form of offense, even without stat upping. The final move can either be Ice Punch to deal with Dragons or Power Whip to take down Bulky Grassers and Bulky Waters. Knock Off could also be an option to help this less durable Revenankh against Choice wielders, by crippling them of their much needed Item. Sleep Talk is not recommended in the third spot mainly thanks to Shed Skin, and as the extra moveslot is a critical advantage this set has over the Bulk Up set.

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Shadow Punch
move 2: Mach Punch / Brick Break
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Power Whip
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
A generic Choice set. Hammer Arm is no longer an option as its Speed drop is unwelcome, so the less powerful Brick Break is present. If you are running a Choice Band then Mach Punch becomes the preferable Fighting STAB, as its priority becomes a great asset on such a slow Pokemon. Ice Punch covers Dragons, and Power Whip deals with Bulky Waters and Bulky Grounds. The options on the left side should be paired with a Choice Band, and the rightmost options with a Scarf. The main advantage Revenankh has against other Choice Pokemon is that Shed Skin means status no longer permanently cripple it.

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot Sweeper
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Electric / Hidden Power Ice / Moonlight
nature: Modest
evs: 252 Hp / 252 SAtk / 6 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
After a Nasty Plot Revenankhs Special Attack can reach 502, not insignifigant in anyones books. D/Ps main Special wall, Blissey, can do little in retaliation except Thunder Wave (which Shed Skin could eventually heal) and is 2HKOed by Focus Blast after a Nasty Plot. This set gets the jump on many of the usual Revenenkh counters, who tend to favour Defense. It will not, however, help you against opponents who counter Revenankh by means of resisting its STAB attacks. You can use the fourth slot to cover your weaknesses with Hidden Power, or use Moonlight to heal. Be careful Revenankh does not turn into a weaker version of the Bulk Up set, as it utilizes almost exactly the same typed moves.

[Moonlight Vs. Rest]
On most of the tanking sets both Rest+Shed Skin and Moonlight+Air Lock are valid options. Both have their equal pros and cons. With Rest, Revenankh is protected from status and can heal 100% of it's HP instantly. It also has a 51% chance of waking up earlier than usual thanks to Shed Skin. Moonlight on the other hand has the benefit of not spending a possible two turns sitting there doing nothing, possibly giving the opponent an opportunity to set up on you. Air Lock also prevents Sandstorm of Hail from wearing you down.

[Other Options]
Sleep Talk can be used on any set that includes Rest, but with Shed Skin Revenankh has a 51% chance of waking up early so it won't see much use. Note that Shed Skin cures status at the end of a turn, however, so there is no chance of using Sleep Talk and wasting a turn due to waking up. Knock Off and Taunt are great utility moves which can be used to stop enemy tanks, stat-uppers and Choice users respectivly. Substitute and Focus Punch can be used if you want an alternate way to protect yourself from status as well as a stronger Fighting attack, but it saps Revanankh of the HP it so dearly relies on.

[EVs]
When using Bulk Up, SpD should be a priority. Careful, 252 Hp EVs and 136 Sdef EVs should provide you with adequate coverage. Max At could also be used to OHKO Gengar and Azelf with Shadow Sneak after a Bulk Up. On any other defensive set more EVs should be invested into Def. Maximum HP should not be tampered with as it reaches optimal Leftovers recovery. 128 Atk EVs could be invested to 1HKO Blissey with Hammer Arm after a Bulk Up. Alternatively, Careful Revenankh needs 160 Spe EVs to outrun 4 Spe Blissey after a Hammer Arm, but Blissey isn't much of a threat to Ravenankh. 44 Speed EVs can be invested to outspeed 0 EV Skarmory, which can be useful to Taunt it before it can set up, but Revenankh can't do much in return without Bulk Up. Offensive sets should just max Speed and their attacking stat of choice.

[Opinion]
Revenankh is a very solid choice as a tank. Two excellent forms of healing, the best STABs in the game, and the ability to boost both its offense and it's defense at the same time with Bulk Up makes it a formidable opponent if not dealt with swiftly. If Revenankh is not carrying Bulk Up it is signifigantly less threatening in the long run, but short term could easily cripple most Pokemon with Knock Off or get an unexpected kill with Ice Punch or Power Whip. Choice sets have the ability to land a few surprise kills, but as with all Choice sets they require prediction to work effectivly.

[Counters]
Bulky Posion type Pokemon stand a good chance against Revenankh, resisting Fighting and most taking little from Shadow Punch. Vileplume, Venusaur and Crobat can all put Revenankh to sleep, and all but Crobat can sap his health with Leech Seed. Drapion can set up Swords Dance or Toxic Spikes and Whirlwind away any Bulk Ups, and Weezing can WoW any Moonlight versions. That being said if any of these get Taunted on the switch in the tables could turn very quickly. Any bulky Flying type, expecially those Normal types who are immune to Shadow Punch like Togekiss or Staraptor can come in easily and threaten with a STAB Flying attack. Yanmega has a 4x resist to Fighting, takes little from an unboosted Shadow Punch, and attacks on Revenankhs weaker side with Air Slash or a speedy Hypnosis. Many other bulky Flying-types work effectively as well, including Gyarados (who often carries Taunt and has a higher base Speed than Revenankh as well) and Zapdos. Jirachi can threaten with STAB Psychic attacks on both sides of the spectrum, and it's typing means it is not weak to any of Revenankh's STABs. Celebi takes less then 50% from Shadow Punch even after Revenankh has used Bulk Up, and can threaten to 2HKO with Psychic or use Leech Seed to sap Revenankh of its health. More defensive Ground or Water types take little from anything Revenankh can throw at them except for Power Whip.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
DK Suggests this set because it is powerful enough in its own right not to be relegated to "Other Options." I mean come on, this thing has 90/90/110 Defenses and gets STAB on the most powerful non-suicide move in the game.

Per Mekkah's suggestions, I'm breaking this into two different Subpunch sets.

Subpunch sets:

[SET]
name: Subpunch w/ healing
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Shadow Punch
move 3: Focus Punch
move 4: Moonlight
ability: Air Lock
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Speed

[SET COMMENTS]
This is a basic subpunching set that capitalizes on Revenankh's ability to switch in, Fighting STAB, and the raw power of Focus Punch. Moonlight with Air Lock creates a reliable form of healing.

[SET]
name: Subpunch w/ stat-up
move 2: Shadow Sneak/ Shadow Punch
move 3: Focus Punch
move 4: Bulk Up
ability: Air Lock/Shed Skin

[SET COMMENTS]
This set forgoes the healing in the above set for all out offense. While it lacks a form of recovery, this set can defeat the physical walls that stop the other sets cold. Unless your opponent's wall can Roar or Whirlwind, you can Bulk Up in their face for the most part with impunity, or block their status with Substitute. Shed Skin comes more recommended in this set because it can eliminate any Burn or Paralysis that slips in, but Air Lock enables leftovers recovery regardless of weather.

Also, we struck down Thunderpunch, at least according to Poll 10a. You can put Pursuit as an option in the sets it is in.

On Counters:

Gyarados, Crobat, Staraptor, Skarmory, Togekiss, Hippowdon, Spiritomb, Cresselia(only Bulk Up variants have a chance to overpower Cress' own Moonlight. Psychic is a killer, but non-Psychic sets aren't complete counters)

"Physical" is not capitalized. "Special" is not capitalized when not referring to a stat e.g. "Azelf has 125 base Special Attack" but "Flamethrower is a special attack".
also, "if you can predict it in" means you're not a counter.

The abbreviations are HP / Atk / Def / SpA / SpD / Spe. If you're not using those, just write them in full, and remember:

Stats (Attack, Special Defense, etc.) are capitalized.
Generally I'm seeing too many slashes for my liking and I don't like Deck Knight's description in general.

No set with Bulk Up / Taunt is a blasphemy.

That's all for now.

EDIT: I fixed all spelling and capitalization I could find. Some of that really should have been caught by spellcheck (excelent, proirity).

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm just gonna list a load of Pokemon that can fare well against Revenankh and you can decide if they classify as counters, okay? Here we go.

I'm thinking Weezing can work as a counter. He can switch in with no fear at all to all those sets as he resists Fight, is immune to Toxic and Shadow Punch is just too weak to scratch him. Worst case scenario is he loses his Leftovers. He can then proceed to hit him with a Will-o-Wisp, crippling all the sets that lack Rest/Shed Skin. Unfortunately, he can't do a great deal else without using Shadow Ball but he can always just keep Pain Splitting to abuse Revenankh's significantly higher HP. Taunting versions stop him.

Drapion seems like a good counter...he resists Ghost, is immune to Toxic and has a huge 110 Def stat with which to shrug off fighting attacks. He can set up Swords Dances or Toxic Spikes and Whirlwind away any Bulk Ups if the mummy lacks Taunt.

Venusaur and Vileplume resist Fighting and dont take much from Shadow Punch...they can sleep him or drain him with Leech Seed, and have the added bonus of being able to use Synthesis if Revenankh uses Air Lock. Venusaur can phaze with Roar. The second set only deals 25.82% - 30.49% with Ice Punch to a 252/252 bold Venusaur. A similar Vileplume takes 26.27% - 30.79%. Meganium does a similar job with her higher defences but doesn't resist Fighting and has no (worthwhile) Sleep move. She's vulnerable to Toxic but can Aromatherapy if neccesary. She has the advantage of Reflect.

Crobat is reasonably sturdy, has Roost access, 4x resists Fighting and can sleep the mummy or hammer him with Brave Bird (but can't do both obviously!). I can say all those things about Yanmega too, but with Air Slash > Brave Bird. Both need to be wary of Ice Punch, but it isn't too bad; the second set (i.e no Atk EVs) only deals 41.53% - 48.88% to a 0/0 Yanmega with Ice Punch. He can Roost it off with ease, benefitting from Speed Boost and Air Slashing when he's ready.

A defensive Zapdos/Moltres can shrug off all his attacks and beat him down with Flying attacks or set up a Baton Pass/use Will-o-Wisp respectively.

That'll do for now, I'll think of more later. Basically, if Revenankh uses the Ghost/Fight combination he is incredibly exposed due to the sheer weakness of Shadow Punch/Sneak. Any reasonable Fight resist without a glaring weakness to secondary attacks can handle him with ease as long as they stop him from Bulking Up.

On another point, I don't think this should be in "Opinion."

Mean Look can be used to trap Pokemon but Ravanankh can do little to them other then Toxic or Bulk Up against them.
Move it to "Other Options."

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i see that you have used some of my sugestions, thanx.

anyway i rewrote this and am reposting it as you did not reply

a Choice Band and a Choice Scarf set would want:

1. Diferent evs: CB would benifit MUCH more from having some extra bulk (invest in HP rarther than speed) than outspeedins a few walls, 65 base speed is not worth investing much in, maybe put in enough to beat skarm. CS does want speed, max speed.

2. Different attacks: CB can run Hammer Arm and not mind the speed drop much, the extra power will help a lot, it likes the priority from Shadow Sneak and Mach Punch. CS set will hate the speed drop, and the prioriy will not help it much so it will run Brick Break and Shadow Punch.

3. Different Nature: CS wants Jolly to beat + nature 252 120's, CB will want to have Adamant as the attack will help.

4. Different item: CB wants CB, CS wants CS.

well almost everytimg that makes a set a set is diferent for the two, the only things that are the same are pokemon and the ability.

Please, Please dont try to fit them together, remove CS to other options (or get rid of it) and put in CB's options.

other stuff:
Remove TPunch as it does not get it anymore, remove the (wo TPunch) bit from Gyrados.

What about Power Whip as an option on the 3 attacks set?

Mean Look can be used to trap Pokemon but Ravanankh can do little to them other then Toxic or Bulk Up against them.
i agree with lee that this should be moved to Other Options, but i would change it to this:
It can be used as an anoying PP+Toxic staller with a Mean Look/Spite/Toxic/Rest set, but unless you trap a wall with Mean Look you will often be KO'd by a crit bafore you stall them out.
BU+Recovery+Mean Look leaves you with only one attack, not a good option.

On the plus sude it's Substitutes can not be broken by Seismic Toss.
This is wrong, you need a maxed out base 100 HP to get 101 subs. This has only 90.

A few comments, and then I'll post a set I made.

I could sense this throughout the making of Revenankh, but now that he's finished it's painfully obvious to me: Revenankh is much too powerful and overcentralizing for OU. A lot of the counters mentioned are hardly seen in OU. Crobat, Moltres, Venasaur, Vileplume... having to resort to these Pokes really shows the lengths to which people will have to go to counter him, not to mention the problems which these Pokes bring. Well, maybe not Crobat but the other three certainly. Most other counters may be able to stop Revenankh at first, but they can't do much to help him from setting up. And it's not like you can repeatedly bash him with his great defenses and two excellent recovery options. Sure you can roar it out, but that's only postponing the inevitable.

The only real counter I see to him are strong Flying Pokemon. Staraptor (provided it doesn't come in on Hammer Arm), Skarmory w/ Brave Bird, and Togekiss' Air Slash (arguably the best way to deal with him) are the only real options I see at taking him down. Gyarados does a pretty good job too I suppose. The fact is however that Flying moves are extremely rare, and the loss of physical hidden power certainly doesn't help. And Psychic and Ghost types can be effectively dealt with by Revenankh's Ghost moves.

A lot of what I'm saying is probably influenced by the set below which I came up with. I wanted to keep it secret, but oh well:

[SET]
name: Life Orb (omg wtf...just read on please)
move 1: Hammer Arm
move 2: Shadow Sneak
move 3: Power Whip
move 4: Moonlight
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
This set has, in my opinion, the potential to be amazing. Defensively it's like many of the other Revenankh in this thread. By the way, did you know that on average, a 252HP/0SDef Revenankh takes only around 10% more damage from a max SAtk Gengar's SB than the standard Dusknoir does? Just to show that it can take hits nearly as well, has access to a 50% recovery move, and much more offensive potential.

Anyway, this guy reaches 440 attack. Shadow Sneak does something like 95% to Gengar. So get Stealth Rock in, come in on Focus Blast/Tbolt and he's kaput. Hammer Arm covers pretty much everything Shadow Sneak can't, except for Bulky Waters and Grounds, which is why you have Power Whip. It does around 55% to Hippowdon on average, so there's really no need to even mention other Bulkly Waters/Grounds. Much like Roost on MixMence, Moonlight keeps you up and running. An added benefit this guy has over other LO users is that he isn't losing 16% of his health in a Sandstorm. This guy can somewhat take on Gyara, as Powerwhip is doing about 45% on average, but with the recoil and repetitive Waterfalls, I wouldn't attempt this without Stealth Rock in play.

Really, I think coupled with Stealth Rock and Heatran, this set can really take on a loooooooot of stuff.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i think this could replace the 3 attacks set, with Ice Punch as an option over Power Whip, to hit those flyers that are a problem. Also move the 4 speed to Defence.

why not ShedRest?

edit:
DK try mergeing the two SubPunch sets like this

[SET]
name: SubPunch
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Shadow Punch / Shadow Sneak
move 4: Moonlight / Bulk Up
nature: Careful / Adamant

4 Spe is definitely going to do more than 4 Def ever will, if only because of other Revenankh.

Why Moonlight + Air Lock over Shed Skin + Rest? Try reading the analysis in the first post.

Anyway, I don't see any evidence this thing is overpowering. It's a huge claim to make because it isn't even tested yet. It's about as viable as saying Rhyperior is broken back in November. If it's broken, we'll see it.

I was severly doubtful about the potential of Syclant, however it seems that it is not as fearsome as first thought. This could be the same.

Personally on sets that require me to place 4 SpD to outspeed itself, I always place 8, just to make sure :|

Just a personal preference of mine, and frankly I think ShedRest is inferior as a healing method. This set is meant more as a sweeper, and the lack of investment in defense means that you really can't risk taking too many hits while sleeping. Besides, how often to you find yourself in a situation where you'd rather use Rest than a 50% recovery move? Only when you're statused really. The only downside to Moonlight is the 8PP issue. Plus like I said you really don't want to be taking 16% damage in a Sandstorm, which is ever-present in OU. ShedRest is only superior imo on the Bulk Up set. Otherwise Air Lock + Moonlight is a better form of healing, unless your team has problems taking Status moves.

EDIT: Regarding Revenankh being overpowing...it's just a really strong hunch I have. I guess we'll have to wait till we can test it to see for cetain. On paper it certainly seems so, but Mekkah, you bring up a good point regarding Rhyperior.

Also, Ice Punch is definitely viable over Power Whip.

eric the espeon

I was severly doubtful about the potential of Syclant, however it seems that it is not as fearsome as first thought. This could be the same.
yea it looks very broken at first, then not broken, but now i think its a bit too strong. i think we shoild have a thread for possible edits sometime.

Personally on sets that require me to place 4 SpD to outspeed itself, I always place 8, just to make sure :|
lol i use 16, just in case. i once used a blissey with about 48 speed evs to beat base 60s.

shed skin makes rest MUCH better, you miss 0 turns 30% of the time, and more than half the time you wake up early.

more than half the time you wake up early.
I just had to smile at this.

shed skin makes rest MUCH better, you miss 0 turns 30% of the time, and more than half the time you wake up early.
Theoretically Rest may seem better, but think about common battle scenarios. If you're at 60% health, are you gonna risk using Rest when theres a 49% chance you'll be asleep the next two turns? Situations when Rest is more viable are when you're at say 20 or 30% health. And when that's the case, Revenankh's low speed means you'll be taking a hit before you rest, which could KO. Specs Shaymin is much better at this largely because of how fast (relatively) he is, meaning he has the chance to pull off Rest. I don't want to go into too much detail. If you want to put ShedRest for this set in the analysis that's fine. I just think this set (and imo probably every set except the Bulk up one) is better suited to Moonlight.

If only because i cant think of appropriate EVs for a possible Taunt + Bulk Up set, i will just fix up random spelling errors

[SET]
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 4: Moonlight / Rest
ability: Air Lock / Shed Skin
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Revenankh can easily come in on its many resists and immunities, and this takes advantage of the switches it causes. Bulk Up makes it all but impregnable to physical attacks, as well as boosting it's already decent attack stat to make it an even greater threat. It has two of the best STABs in the game, Fighting and Ghost, that hit everything for at least neutral, thus it is advised to stick to these moves for offence. Moonlight+Air Lock is the recommended healing method as the possible two turns spent sleeping with Rest+Shed Skin could allow an opponent to set up you, forcing you to switch to a counter and lose your Bulk Ups in the process.

[SET]
name: Three Attacks
move 1: Rest / Moonlight
move 2: Shadow Punch
move 4: Ice Punch / Knock Off / Taunt
ability: Shed Skin / Air Lock
evs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
This set has advantages over the Bulk Up set in the extra move slot, giving much better coverage and making it more of a immediate threat. STAB again provides a reasonable form of offence, even without stat upping. The final move can either be Ice Punch to deal with Dragons or Knock Off to provide team support. Knock Off also helps this less durable Revenankh against Choice wielders, by crippling them of their much needed Item. Sleep Talk is not recommended in the final spot mainly thanks to Shed Skin, and as the extra moveslot is a critical advantage this set has over the Bulk Up set.

[SET]
name: Choice
move 1: Shadow Punch
move 2: Mach Punch / Brick Break
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Power Whip / ThunderPunch
item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
A generic Choice set. Hammer Arm is no longer an option as it's Speed drop is unwelcome, so the less powerful Brick Break is present. If you are running a Choice Band then Mach Punch becomes the preferable Fighting STAB, as it's priority becomes a great asset on such a slow Pokemon. Ice Punch covers Dragons, and Power Whip deals with Bulky Waters and Bulky Grounds. Thunder Punch is also an option for unparalleled coverage with both Fight+Ghost and the BoltBeam combo. The options on the left side should be paired with a Choice Band, and the rightmost options with a Scarf (Except for Power Whip and Thunder Punch). The main advantage Revenankh has against other Choice Pokemon is that Shed Skin means status no longer permanently cripple it.

[Moonlight Vs. Rest]
On most of the tanking sets both Rest+Shed Skin and Moonlight+Air Lock are valid options. Both have their equal pros and cons. With Rest, Revenankh is protected from status and can heal 100% of it's HP instantly. It also has a 51% chance of waking up earlier than usual thanks to Shed Skin. Moonlight on the other hand has the benefit of not spending a possible two turns sitting there doing nothing, possibly giving the opponent an opportunity to set up on you. Air Lock also prevents Sandstorm or Hail from wearing you down.

[Other Options]
Revenankh has access to Nasty Plot to boost it's Special Attack, but the offencive options on this side of the spectrum are so meager it's not really worth it. Sleep Talk can be used on any set that includes Rest, but with Shed Skin Revenankh has a 51% chance of waking up early so at times won't see much use. Taunt can be used to stop enemy tanks and stat-uppers in their tracks. Substitute and Focus Punch can be used if you want an alternate way to protect yourself from status, but it saps Revenankh of the HP it so dearly relies on. On the plus side it's Substitutes cannot be broken by Seismic Toss.

[EVs]
When using Bulk Up, SpD should be a priority. Careful, 252 Hp EVs and 136 Sdef EVs should provide you with adequate coverage. On any other defencive set more EVs should be invested into Def. Maximum HP should not be tampered with as it reaches optimal Leftovers recovery. 128 Atk EVs could be invested to 1HKO Blissey with Hammer Arm after a Bulk Up. Alternatively, Careful Revenankh needs 160 Spe EVs to outrun 4 Spe Blissey after a Hammer Arm, but Blissey isn't much of a threat to Ravenankh. 44 Speed EVs can be invested to outspeed 0 EV Skarmory, which can be useful to Taunt it before it can set up, but Revenankh can't do much in return without Bulk Up and Thunder Punch. Offensive sets should just max Speed and their attacking stat of choice.

[Opinion]
Revenankh is a very solid choice as a tank. Two excellent forms of healing, the best STABs in the game, and the ability to boost both it's offence and it's defence at the same time with Bulk Up makes it a formidable opponent if not dealt with swiftly. If Revenankh is not carrying Bulk Up it is significantly less threatening in the long run, but short term could easily cripple most Pokemon with Knock Off or get an unexpected kill with Ice Punch or Thunder Punch. Choice sets have the ability to land a few surprise kills, but as with all Choice sets require perfect prediction to work effectively. Mean Look can be used to trap Pokemon but Revenankh can do little to them other then Toxic or Bulk Up against them.

[Counters]
*Major WIP*
Feel free to make sugestions, I'm thinking Skarmory / Hippwodon, (wo PWhip) Suicune (wo PWhip), Bronzong, Slowbro (wo PWhip) / Spiritomb at this stage. Also Tangrowth, Gyrados (wo TPunch), Straptor (if you can predict it in), Togekiss Need ideas for others.

Weezing seems okay. Cant think of much else at the moment

eric the espeon

To help people find ev spreads and do damage calks I have made a list of Revenankh's stats
all assume 31 IV

HP 321-384
Attack 221 (- nature) 246 (0 evs) 309 (252 evs) 339 (252 evs + nature)
Defense 194 (- nature) 216 (0 evs) 279 (252 evs) 306 (252 evs + nature)
Sp. Attack 149 (- nature) 166 (0 evs) 229 (252 evs) 251 (252 evs + nature)
Sp. Defense 230 (- nature) 256 (0 evs) 319 (252 evs) 350 (252 evs + nature)
Speed 149 (- nature) 166 (0 evs) 229 (252 evs) 251 (252 evs + nature)

Good speed numbers i see are:
376 (+ nature, 252 evs, Choice Scarf) draws with scarf base 65's.
351 (+ nature, 180 evs, Choice Scarf) beats all non-scarf base 110's
245 (+ nature, 224 evs) beats those who want to use get one speed boost and hit 366 speed(outspeeds +nature/252 base 115s, and 252 base 130s)
238 (+ nature, 196 evs) beats 4 speed base 100s
224 (232 evs) Beats those who want to get one speed boost and hit 334 (outspeeds all base 100s, Garchomp, and 252-speed base 115s)
222 (224 evs) Beats 252 Tyranitar.
203 (148 evs) beats those who want two speed boosts to hit 404 speed (outspeeds CS Heracross).
178 (48 evs) beats 4 speed Skarmory.
168 (8 evs) beats 4 speed Vaporeon, Umbreon and Scizor.

Celebi also makes a great counter with Psychic, Leech Seed, and the fact that it doesn't die to its ghost moves. Metagross would do alright as well I'd imagine. Yanmega makes a great counter to its Fighting moves and is very scary with Air Slash. A specially oriented Charizard with Air Slash could also work. A Specs Shaymin poses quite a threat with Psychic, and Revenankh can't do much back.

eric the espeon

Can Celebi beat the bulk up set? it has almost max HP/Sp. Defense so psychic will not do that much, and after a BU or two Shadow Punch will hurt.
Meta is Beta, but can it take 2 BU'd Hammer Arms?
how much does Yanmega take from Shadow Punch? if its <50% its ok.
Specs Shaymin huh? i expect psychic would not 1KO but Hammer Arm would be close to a 2KO... if it 2KO's not a counter, if its a 3KO yes.

Magmortified

<b>CAP 8 Playtesting Expert</b>
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
EDIT: And here's where I realize I was accidently using the wrong nature for Revenankh and now Celebi. Fix'd.

A few Revenankh (using the Bulk Up set) to Celebi (assuming 252 HP, 80 Defense. Calm Mind Passer as listed in analysis) damage calcs:

Shadow Punch, no Bulk Ups: 31.93% - 37.38%
Shadow Punch, one Bulk Up: 47.03% - 55.45%

Assuming that your Celebi is carrying 220 Defense EVs (the maximum listed):

No Bulk Up Shadow Punch: 28.22% - 33.17%
One Bulk Up Shadow Punch: 41.58% - 49.01%

Not a 2HKO.

Now for a Celebi's Psychic (no Special Attack EVs) to the same Revenankh: 57.03% - 67.19%

2HKO. It's messy, but Celebi can come in on a Bulk Up and outspeed Revenankh, killing with Psychic before Revenankh can hope to get it with Shadow Punch.

A few nitpicks:

Under the Choice Set:
A generic Choice set. Hammer Arm is no longer an option as it's Speed drop is unwelcome, so the less powerful Brick Break is present.
Should be "its"

If you are running a Choice Band then Mach Punch becomes the preferable Fighting STAB, as it's priority becomes a great asset on such a slow Pokemon.
Should be "its"
---

Under Other Options:
On the plus sude it's Substitutes can not be broken by Seismic Toss.
Should be "side"
---

Under Opinion:
Two excellent forms of healing, the best STABs in the game, and the ability to boost both it's offence and it's defence at the same time with Bulk Up makes it a formidable opponent if not dealt with swiftly.
Should be "its"

Here's something I've been thinking of ever since I saw the movepool. I'm not too good with counters or anything of that sort, but maybe you guys can help me out after seeing the initial set:

[SET]
name: That's a Wrap!
move 1: Wrap
move 2: Bulk Up
move 3: Force Palm/Hammer Arm
move 4: Shadow Punch
nature: Careful/Sassy
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp. Def/ 6 Atk

[SET COMMENTS]
In my opinion, more versatile than a Mean Look set. Wrap will keep your opponent trapped even if you switch out, which gives you the option of either staying in to Bulk Up or switching to a counter. Because a recovery move would restrict you to one attack type, this set is extra bulky, and is meant to take advantage of the Defense boosts offered by Bulk Up, rather than the Attack.

[Force Palm vs. Hammer Arm]
Depending on your choice of nature, either one can be a viable move option. If using Sassy, most likely you're looking for a low speed anyway, and Hammer Arm can be used. However, the 30% chance of paralysis from Force Palm can be tempting, and you would have plenty of chances to paralyze your foe while they're trapped by Wrap.

[Other Options]
I'm not really sure about this one. Ice Punch is viable over either Hammer Arm or Force Palm if you want to deal with Dragons more easily, but then either Blissey or a Ghost will have a much easier time switching in.

[Opinion]
More of a tank than a sweeper really. Revenankh's shortage of a powerful physical movepool essentially means Bulk Up is required. This set is supposed to take advantage of that by allowing you more time to set it up.

God, I really hope Wrap does what I said it does.... What do you guys think? I generally like to avoid 252/252 spreads, but since I don't know how to run damage calcs, I tried my best.

eric the espeon

without the new ability wrap is vastly inferor to mean look, it lasts for 2-5 turns so its not relyable when it runs out your oponent can switch out before you wrap them again. BU without a recovery move is not good, the Def boosts are useless if you drop to <30% geting them, and this set does not use the attack boosts extremely well. this set is pretty much the BU set with Wrap>Recovery, recovery is ore important.
sorry.

There's absolutely no need to do a short [Opinion] etc just for adding a new set. You didn't see us doing that when we add a new set to the site.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Salamence counters any Revenankh set without Ice Punch. Most of the sets we have listed forgo Ice Punch for Ghost/Fight coverage and healing.

Staraptor has no problems switching into Hammer Arm, Intimidate nerfs it and Staraptor has 85/70 HP/Def anyway. Any attack not named Focus Punch isn't going to phaze Staraptor much.

Moreover, despite being able to switch in on a few things, Revenankh is NOT a reliable counter to many OU threats. It can't switch into Gengar or Lucario sets that pack Shadow Ball. It certainly wants no part of switching into Garchomp of any variety.

Muk is a solid counter, as is Milotic in any set lacking Earthquake or Power Whip respectively. Jirachi dos a good job stopping most sets cold and cleaing up with Zen Headbutt. Psychic-weilding Cresselia is a solid counter. Aforementioned Weezing is also effective.

Really, this thing isn't invincible. We pretty much assured that by not giving it WoW, which would have royally screwed Staraptor and many of its defense-oriented counters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)