CAP 2 Revenankh Playtesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ditch one of Grudge/Curse at 52. Learning two moves at the same level happens, but is not that common. I'd also ditch 2-3 others, probably one of the very early ones and Glare.
This is my recommendation. In fact, they are on there only to keep the Egg moves from being clogged with them. You could also get rid of Rock Tomb if you really want to; but then it would lose the only TM it learns through level-up (not sure if this is necessary or not). One of the Lvl. 1 moves could also go.

I think Bide should also go. Grudge and Curse fit more flavor-wise, at least. One of the flavor ideas of the Pokemon was to push Mummy's Curse-type flavor. Either of them could easily go, though.

Whats so hard about killing revanankh? Switch in togekiss on a bulk up and air slash it to death... 60% of the time, they cant even touch you.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
i beat a gyara one on one with revenankh. guess what? it had taunt and dd. this thing is amazing.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
beyond amazing <_<;.

Really, This poke can cause a hell lot of problem against stall teams, since shed skin + rest easily shrug off toxic, toxic spikes and other stuff like that. And it's defenses are good enough to resist average attacks, bulk up, rest , bulk up and then sweep with shadow sneak when you feel like. I've lost 3 pokemons of my hail/stall team against revenankh before, and I really can't see a way to counter him that doesn't involve removing a pokemon that fills an important role on the team and including togekiss or staraptor.

It can sure be quite disturbing <_<;.

Unaware Bibarel would be an excellent counter to Revenankh, I believe.
I don't think a normal type with terrible Defense and not amazing HP would even come close to acting as a counter for Revenankh. I'm pretty sure he only counters the variants not running a fighting move, which is not the most common version.

The key to counter Revenankh is to act quickly. If you see Revenankh switching on something that will give it a free Bulk up whether you switch or not, don't hesitate, and SWITCH. Revenakh doesn't have many counters when it has 6 Bulk Ups on its sleeve.

What? You say I'm stating the obvious? Well, this seems to be the problem with many people, so I guess I'd say it anyway.

And Revenankh is not better than other dangerous threats that can set up. You don't let a Garchomp Swords Dance freely if you can stop it, right? Because, you know, Hippowdon can counter SD Chomp, but not if Chomp has 3 Sword Dances under its belt. Or Dragon Dance Gyara.

And if your excuse is that you can't incorporate a Revenankh counter into your team... Well, it's your fault. The DP metagame has already enough threats to stop anyone to get a counter for everything. CAP is only adding to the list. But Revenankh is definitely counterable, if you want to carry one of its counters. Togekiss is great and counters Revenankh greatly. Revenankh needs like 3-4 Bulk Ups to start having a chance. Staraptor, Yanmega, Psychic Celebi, CM Cresselia, Psycho Cut Medicham... All can beat Revenankh one on one after even one BU, more in most cases.

At first I thought Revenankh was too powerful, but now I just think it's dangerous. But DD Gyara dangerous, not even SD Chomp dangerous.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Even common things like Skarmory and Gyarados counter it.
It can beat Gyra, and Skarm cant do anything except WW it out, roost would give it a fighting weak and hammer arm makes 'Ankh slower so if Skarm try's to heal its done for, RestTalk sets with BB may have a chance if 'ankh has only one BU.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
And Revenankh is not better than other dangerous threats that can set up. You don't let a Garchomp Swords Dance freely if you can stop it, right? Because, you know, Hippowdon can counter SD Chomp, but not if Chomp has 3 Sword Dances under its belt. Or Dragon Dance Gyara.
What does Gyarados and Garchomp has in common?

They both share a 4x weakness, but you already know that. Countering those two is "easy", since you only need a bulky pokemon with an ice move (which are common as hell) and a electric move (which is also fairly common...boltbeam anyone?) respectively. Or a pokemon with ice shard in garchomp's case, whatever. But in the end you only need one type of move to counter those pokemons, not an entirely new pokemon (sure, you can always use Yache/Wacan berry if you want extra insurance against those counters, but you will lose leftovers recovery doing so).

Revenankh is different. Good Lord it is entirely different. Revenankh has what...three weakness? Psychic, Flying and Ghost, maybe more but I can't remember them right now. How often do you see a pokemon that isn't of one of those types using a psychic attack, a flying attack or a ghost attack? Even psychic pokes like Starmie don't use psychic 99% of the time, shadow ball is only really common on Mismagius and Gengar and most pokemons (like specslucario) prefer to use Dark Pulse, since it has a nice flinch rate, and the only flying move I commonly see is Aerial Ace, which has a laughable power without STAB. And those are x2 weakness, remember that. You will probably need pokemons capable of using the strong versions of those attacks (like brave bird/drill peck) or use it with STAB if you want to have a "safe counter" against revenankh...which means that, if compared to Gyarados or Garchomp, you have less counter possibilities to work with.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Revenankh is broken beyond belief and should be nerfed (although I think Shed Skin is a tad too good). You are totally right when you say that there are a good number of pokemons capable of countering rev, and you are right when you say that it is entirely my fault that I can't counter it effectively. Really, I am merely posting one very disturbing experience I had, and that was it. I will be forced to make a different version of my team to use on the CAP server, but it isn't a problem, really (I think that is the whole point of the project, actually <_<).

It can beat Gyra, and Skarm cant do anything except WW it out, roost would give it a fighting weak and hammer arm makes 'Ankh slower so if Skarm try's to heal its done for, RestTalk sets with BB may have a chance if 'ankh has only one BU.
Explain how it beats gyra. Revenankh bulks up on the switch, Gyarados comes in and intimidates and taunts. Revenankh is then left with 246 attack but a heightened defence as Gyrados dragon dances up and beats it down.

Skarmory's (220 atk) brave bird does 38% (Revenankh with max hp/280 def most people use a plus special defence nature and so have a lot less) on average even after a bulk up and whirlwinding it away makes it a lot less threatening. Assuming Revenankh gets a bulk up on the switch, hammer arm does 33% on average to the standard Skarmory. For it to do that much damage it has to stay in and so will either be whirlwinded or take good damage from BB.

The best thing I have against Rev (on the team I usually use) is Brave Bird Skarmory (mine has 16 attack evs, it is not Restalk) yet enemy Rev is not a big problem for me. Obviously, skarmory is not the best Rev counter and doesn't constantly destroy Rev with ease but to me it's adequate protection.

Though if you want a really safe counter, you can use togekiss like a lot of people do, but I find it largely unnecessary. Celebi can also be quiet annoying.

Explain how it beats gyra. Revenankh bulks up on the switch, Gyarados comes in and intimidates and taunts. Revenankh is then left with 246 attack but a heightened defence as Gyrados dragon dances up and beats it down.

Skarmory's (220 atk) brave bird does 38% (Revenankh with max hp/280 def most people use a plus special defence nature and so have a lot less) on average even after a bulk up and whirlwinding it away makes it a lot less threatening. Assuming Revenankh gets a bulk up on the switch, hammer arm does 33% on average to the standard Skarmory. For it to do that much damage it has to stay in and so will either be whirlwinded or take good damage from BB.
Yes but if Skarm doesnt have Whirlwind Rev beats Skarm by bulking up til BB no longer does anything and Resting/Moonlight when health is low. Then one Hammer Arm and Skarm is gone.

Whirlwind is the best that Skarm can do to Rev.

Indeed, if Skarmory lacks one of its best standard moves, Revenankh will beat it one on one. Skarmory generally uses that move a lot though, considering his role as a Spiker and his ability to phaze most pure physical threats...and then the fact that Revenankh is the most used Pokemon on the server gives it even more of an incentive to use Whirlwind.

Moonlight Revenankh is even worse off because he now has only 25% recovery, or vulnerability to status.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
but WW is only a temporary solution, Ankh will be able to come back in later.

Skarmory's (220 atk) brave bird does 38%
so thats a 4KO with leftovers, and Revenankh has ShedRest. Not brilliant really. The best it can do is stall it for a few turns and WW.

Revenankh could run taunt and some speed to prevent WW, but its a bad idea as you need 2 attacks and BU.

eric the espeon

Leftovers is 6.25%, but that still doesn't make Revenankh the winner at any stretch.
Fine, 101.5% after the third attack. =P
remember that 38% is average damage, and Revenankh can rest till it gets a 1 or 0 turn rest due to shed skin, it can then proceed to BU on any free turns.

If Revenankh is the last Pokemon so WW does not work, Skarm will lose.

Eric that's 38% after a bulk up and assuming Revenakh has 280 defence. That's how much I use and that's with impish but most people use a lot less than that so pretty much the 3hko is guaranteed.

Using the EVs from the dex, that's 44% average damage after a bulk up. If it then bulks up again you've done 33% damage next time. Another bulk up and you do 27% average. That is a 3hko if it does decide to keep bulking up to the average Revenankh.

If you are really afraid of Revenankh use taunt or something, but 9 times out 10 you will stop it sweeping your team with Skarmory unless it is situational like the last pokemon.

eric the espeon

I know Skarm will block a sweep, but as you agree if it is last Pokemon it will beat Skarm.

And say Skarm switches in on BU it BBs you for ~44% you use rest and repeat untill you get a 0-1 turn rest, use any spare turns you get for BU. Ok so it can WW you out but its a temporary solution as you can return at a later stage.

Wait so by this logic skarmory was not a curselax counter in advance, if the player ends up in the situation of revenanhk vs skarmory as the last pokemon they deserve to lose.

eric the espeon

Wait so by this logic skarmory was not a curselax counter in advance, if the player ends up in the situation of revenanhk vs skarmory as the last pokemon they deserve to lose.
mm.. Maybe the Revenankh player has saved it till last? There is pretty much no way to stop them using it last, and if you don't have a Pokemon that can beat a BU'd Revenankh you will be swept.

I am not saying Skarm is useless against 'ankh, just that all it can do is WW it out which does get rid of boosts but does not get rid of the Pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)