1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Revenge Of The Drunken Claw

Discussion in 'BW Other Teams' started by Full2Half, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Full2Half

Full2Half

REVENGE OF THE DRUNKEN CLAW!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hello there RMT readers, I go by the username Full2Half and this is my first RMT on Smogon. If you take part in the NU subforum or NU irc, you might know me, otherwise probably not because I play almost exclusively NU except the occasional Challenge Cup match. Basically the story of this team was that while fooling around on irc during a Teambats event, Me an the rest of my team were playing around with Crustle sets and I remembered a custap berry hazard stacking set which a friend of mine created and I brought it up during teambuilding. We promptly squashed the other team thanks to the extra hazard provided by the custap berry. I began thinking of what I can do in a similar fashion in the NU tier. And I immediately began investigating into Crustle's little bro Dwebble. Unfortunately, PS unlike PO, does not allow Custap berry on the ladder. But even without Custap Berry, I found Dwebble to be an extremely effective hazard stacker.

But before I get to the teambuilding process, I just want to let it be known that I am retiring this team due to the release of Shadow Tag Gothitelle and the potential ban of one of my team's members. So you are welcome to make suggestions for this team, but not all will be incorperated, although I'll definatively try my best to test some of them. This team peaked at #13 on the PS ladder under the Alt Dwebble Is Krab.

Peak:
    Show Hide
    [​IMG]

My Teambuilding Thought process:
    Show Hide

[​IMG]
    First, I started with Dwebble because I wanted to test him to see if he could perform up to snuff with other NU spikers like garbodor due to surprisingly decent speed, bulk, and access to both Spikes and Stealth Rock. And because he worked better than I thought, I kept him.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Next, I wanted something that can abuse the hazards Dwebble put down. Zangoose seemed like a perfect choice due to his high speed, rediculous power, and perfect coverage. Most teams don't run a zangoose check (for whatever reason) so Zangoose usually proved to be the MVP of this team. Hence why this RMT is affectionately titled for him.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Then, I needed a ghost type to spinblock. Golurk was an obvious choice for the job because he easily walls the most common spinner, armaldo, and has amazing power and coverage. And Golurk perfectally fits the role of a spinblocker and can soften walls for zangoose.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I had a bit of trouble picking my fourth member, but I eventually decided to run eelektross because I wanted a powerful special attacker. It also helps to have a slow, powerful Volt Switch and solid coverage. Access to semi-reliable recovery and no weaknesses especially helped the eel's case.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I saw that I needed a resist to Ice and Water, and I wanted priority and strong attacks, so I went with Samurott because of It's astounding power in both offenses and usable speed stat. Samurott was immediately useful due to it's ability to fein a differant set.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    My last team member ended up being skuntank because I needed his resistances. Also, he is helpful in the removal of fast threats as well as ghosts and psychics. It's been argued he's unneccissary due to my zangoose carrying night slash, but his powerful sucker punch has proven invaluable time and time again.

I hav'nt made any major changes to the team's pokemon because they have worked very well for me, and after the initial teambuilding only slightly changed anything on this team.

Now to go more in depth into my other members.

[​IMG]
    Champion (Dwebble) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 Spd / 100 Atk
    Jolly Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - X-Scissor
    - Knock Off

Dwebble's role on this team is to simply set up my hazards. I choose Dwebble over other things not only as a random gimmick, (which I am often exploring) but because he is the only pokemon in the tier that has access to both spikes and stealth rock bar omanyte. Dwebble's superior speed and nuetrility to fighting and ground are why i use it over omanyte. Base 55 speed puts the little crab into a relevent speed tier, and jolly max speed allows him to outrun threats like banded emboar, golem, exeggutor, and golurk. And with sturdy, dwebble is often able to set up more than one layer of hazards. The HP investment allows dwebble to survive two hits of golem's Earthquake and has the potential to survive 5 hits from cinccino's rock blast. SR and spikes are used to support the team (obviously.) I use X-Scissor as my attacking move due to the recent release of shadow tag gothitelle so as not to be setup fodder for it, but I previously used Rock Blast so as to be able to hit ninjask through substitute and hit charizard and suck super effectively, and I'm not totally sure on whether or not to keep X-Scissor. Finally, I run knock off to disarm opponants of their item before I go down.

[​IMG]

Rikki Tikki (Zangoose) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Toxic Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Night Slash
    - Quick Attack
    - Facade

A fairly typical set for zangoose. Zangoose is a total monster in the NU tier. Thanks to his Dream World ability, Toxic Boost, being released along with BW2, Zangoose has easily become one of the premier threats in the tier. Toxic boost essentially giving him the same boost as guts while poisoned, puts his already high attack stat to extreme levels. His perfect coverage and STAB priority also add to his all around strength. Zangoose is often the MVP of this team, as he fully abuses the spikes support with his 140 base power stab attack with no drawbacks and a powerful Close Combat. And although there are plenty of ways to deal with zangoose, nobody on the ladder seems to run the proper checks, meaning zangoose has no problems whatsoever tearing through the opposing team without hesitation. This RMT is affectionately named after him because of this, as his intoxicated fury tears through the current metagame easily, which is why he has been nominated to be banned to BL3, and very likely will be. In total, zangoose /can/ be stopped easily, but with any team support and/or insufficiant playing of his counters, zangoose can pose a huge threat for anyone who tries to face his wrath.

[​IMG]

He can flyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!

Mini Me (Golurk) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 252 Atk / 216 Spd / 40 HP
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch

Golurk
    , as a recent drop down, has made a huge impact on the tier. With unique typing, colossal attack, and solid defenses, Golurk has everything he needs to be a successful wallbreaker in the NU tier. But perhaps more importantly, his partial ghost typing allows for golurk to be a superb spinblocker. Being able to abuse both roles, I went for his massively powerful Choice Band set. I remember running that amount of speed for something signifigant, but I unfortunately forget what it is (maybe exeggutor?) But either way, I abuse golurk's typing by coming in on one of his three immunities and just hit everything hard that dares switch into this beast. And better improving for this guy, he completely walls the tier's most common spinner, armaldo, and does massive damage to all the other ones, only fearing a scald burn from lolwartortle. And although his speed can be his downfall, he's fast enough to outrun all the major walls in the tier, as well as many other relevant threats. The final perk for golurk is the ability Iron Fist, which boosts the power of all his punching moves. And golurk gets A LOT of punching moves. With it, Shadow Punch is boosted to an actually respectable strength, and his new addition in Ice Punch allows him to clobber the Normal/Flying types that try to switch into one of his STABs. Drain punch is mostly filler, but in certain situations is invaluable with it's nice coverage and recovery.

[​IMG]

Lamp Prey (Eelektross) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 144 Spd / 112 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flamethrower
    - Giga Drain

Specs eelektross may seem weird because I already have a powerful tank with low speed, but eelektross brings invaluable skills to the table. With his mix of speed and HP investment, eelektross can easily tank alot of hits and outspeed most common walls. The main reason I use specs eelektross over Banded is because of his moves (duh.) Although I could certainly use Uturn and thunderpunch etc, I prefer the extra power of volt switch and tbolt. Also, specs is able to use flamethrower and giga drain, which provide invaluable coverage to this set. Flamethrower has the advantage of doing massive damage to physically defensive amoonguss and other grass types, as giga drain provides recovery which can be totally neccessary due to this set's more tankish playstyle. And as a mono-electric type with levitate, the fact eel has no weaknesses doesnt hurt this playstyle in any way. Eel also functions as my primary electric/flying resist and is instrumental in playing around some of the tier's greatest threats.

[​IMG]

Jack (Samurott) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Rash Nature
    - Aqua Jet
    - Ice Beam
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

This Set is slightly unorthidox for samurott, as you will typically see his SD set. However, a special or mixed set is potentially more devastating thanks to the surprise factor of seeing this lesser used set. Rash nature is used to boost his SpA without lowering his attack or speed stats, and a +speed nature wouldn't outrun any major things I can handle except maybe max speed absol. The EVs are pretty straightforeward, outrunning stuff and hitting as hard as possible with his great coverage. LO is of course for the offensive boosts. The main thing however, is that I run aqua jet just for the sake of priority. I cannot count how many times I've revenge killed something with aqua jet, and they unsuspectingly send in their amoonguss/alomomola/tangela/exeggutor only to have them smacked around by an ice beam or hp grass. The surprise factor and sheer power of this set are what makes this one of the most effective pokemon on the team.

[​IMG]

Roadkill (Skuntank) @ Dread Plate
    Trait: Aftermath
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Sucker Punch
    - Taunt

As you may have noticed, priority is very important to my team. And there are few stronger than skuntank's sucker punch. With great strength, skun abuses 3 dark type moves. Because this is a set bent more on utility than coverage, I ran Dread Plate over Life Orb so I can still get a little boost in strength without sacraficing any HP. Taunt is useful in breaking stall teams, and crunch is there for a reliable STAB attack. Pursuit is of course for trapping, as without skuntank, subdisable haunter would massively wreck this team. Thanks to decent bulk and power, skuntank becomes a huge asset, as even after death he causes damage thanks to his aftermath ability. Although a trapper isn't a neccessity on this team, It definately makes it much easier in dealing with things like gardevoir and haunter.

THREATS

[​IMG]Cinccino: This little guy can be fairly threatening late game. However, my priority kinda runs it over.

[​IMG]Zangoose: Again, it's about the same level as cinccino. I have to play carefully around it with priority, but the fact it has it's own priority makes it a bit more difficult.

[​IMG]Jumpluff: To date, I only have 2 recorded losses with this team, both are because of this little fucker. Sleep pokes in general are very threatening to me because everything on this team has such a pivotal role. But jumpluff gets a special mention because it can set up an SD or sub.It can then outspeed everything on my team and either leech seed stall or flat out sweep me.

If you can see any other major threats, feel free to comment about it and I'll be sure to add it.

CONCLUSION

In conclusion, this is one of my best built and most successful teams that I've made. And although i am probably retiring this team, you're suggestions are certainly welcomed! Hope you enjoyed my first RMT, and thank you for reading
    Revenge of the Drunken Claw!

Special thanks to:
    Ebeast for the name idea
    Shnen for helping start Teambats up again
    The rest of #Neverused for being cool

Importable!

Show Hide
    Champion (Dwebble) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 156 HP / 252 Spd / 100 Atk
    Jolly Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - X-Scissor
    - Knock Off

Rikki Tikki (Zangoose) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Toxic Boost
    Jolly Nature
    - Close Combat
    - Night Slash
    - Quick Attack
    - Facade

Mini Me (Golurk) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 252 Atk / 216 Spd / 40 HP
    - Earthquake
    - Shadow Punch
    - Drain Punch
    - Ice Punch

Lamp Prey (Eelektross) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 144 Spd / 112 HP
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Flamethrower
    - Giga Drain

Jack (Samurott) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Torrent
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
    Rash Nature
    - Aqua Jet
    - Ice Beam
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Roadkill (Skuntank) @ Dread Plate
    Trait: Aftermath
    Adamant Nature
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Sucker Punch
    - Taunt

2. FLCL

FLCL
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Salon Maidenis a Past SPL Winner

I see a glaring weakness to Gorebyss, especially White Herb and Substitute variants. It can set up easily on Dwebble and Eelektross or Golurk locked into the wrong move and sweep your team. Skuntank can only manage to take off sixty percent of Gorebyss' health with Sucker Punch, and is beaten handily by Subtitute variants unless your prediction is perfect. Zangoose needs to have Toxic Orb activated to do any real damage while Samurott cannot touch it even with Aqua Jet because it has no investment in attack. To fix this, I would suggest running Ludicolo over Samurott. Non-Life Orb variants of Gorebyss struggle to break through Ludicolo thanks to its typing while it can OHKO Gorebyss with a STAB Giga Drain. The Offensive Rain Dance set can punch huge holes in opposing walls, allowing Zangoose or another Pokemon to sweep late game. The loss of Aqwua Jet won't affect the team too much since you still have Zangoose and Skuntank, not to mention it's fairly weak without investment from my experiences.

Summary of changes:

Samurott —> Offensive Rain Dance Ludicolo

Set(s) (open)
    Ludicolo @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
    Modest Nature
    - Giga Drain
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Rain Dance

I'd also suggest changing the font to black since it's fairly hard to read, at least for me. Good luck with the team!
  3. Full2Half

Full2Half

Yeah, gorebyss can be a real pain in the ass. I'll probably try the ludicolo set, although i will miss the surprise factor brought to be by samurott, so i guess i'll just have to test it and see which is preferred.
  4. WhiteDMist

WhiteDMist PU! We don't stink though!
    is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus

FLCL's right about Gorebyss being able to run you over after a boost. Your large amount of priority can deal with it to an extent, but none of your Pokes can KO with their priority, meaning that you'll have to sac at least two Pokes to deal with it. I have enjoyed using a similar Samurott set as a lure (I use Salac Berry over Life Orb but that's neither here nor there), but FLCL's suggestion is pretty logically sound. Gorebyss is still on a good amount of teams, and Dwebble is perfect set-up fodder (regardless of Sturdy or not). Of course, it has a very hard time actually setting up on your team (it can basically only set up on Zangoose before Toxic Orb activates, Golurk locked into Ice Punch, and Eelektross locked into Flamethrower). Still, if it does set up, you really need to have both Skuntank and Zangoose alive in order to get out alive. Ludicolo definitely relieves the pressure, and as a bonus, it's immune to Leech Seed. :toast:

I'm not too sure what Eelektross' Speed EVs are for. You only need 128 EVs to outspeed the standard Banded Golurk (plus more for speed creep), and I'm not too sure what else you want to outspeed. Eelektross can use the leftover EVs for HP, since it needs all the bulk it can get (it's not much, but still). Skuntank also doesn't really need max speed, since it has such a unique base Speed. You really only need 224 EVs max to outspeed Adamant Braviary and Modest Gardevoir. You can bump it down to outspeed only Absol, or Samurott, but this is really the highest possible speed you should use. Skuntank is another Poke that really wants even a little bit a extra bulk.

Anyways, that's all that I have for you right now. Cool team, and congrats on your peak! :heart:

Changes:

Eelektross: 130 HP/ 252 SAtk/ 128 Spe>252 SAtk / 144 Spd / 112 HP
    Skuntank: 34 HP/ 252 Atk/ 224 Spe>252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
  5. Full2Half

Full2Half

Yeah i like the skuntank spread, because I tend to run max/max spreads even when i dont need to. i guess i'll try the eel spread too.
  6. FLCL

FLCL
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Salon Maidenis a Past SPL Winner

If you want to drop a bit of speed on Skuntank, it should be running 236 Speed EV's in order to outpace Jolly Samurott, which is pretty popular.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)