OU Rhydon or Golem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Rhydon has higher attack and can 2hko Starmie while Golem can Explode It really depends on what you like better. I usually go with Golem however.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Rhydon is better. Don't be fooled by Golem's better base Defense and Special stats; Rhydon's higher HP completely makes up for it and then some. The bit of speed is insignificant, because Rhydon/Golem's speeds are unique is RBY Standards and the only reason the higher speed might be a little better is for Golem to outspeed Rhydon. Golem's only "advantage" is Explosion.

Calculations:
Rhydon's Defense value: 413x338=139594
Golem's Defense value: 363x358=129954

Rhydon's Special Defense value: 413x188=77644
Golem's Special Defense value: 363x208=75504

As can be clearly seen, Rhydon's defenses are better, and it has 130 base Attack to boot, versus Golem's 110 base Attack.

I usually go with Rhydon, but Golem/Rhydon wars come up all the time. It's more or less up to preference, since Explosion is awesome.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Golem for sure. You have to be practical rather than technical with this choice. Sure those defensive stats might be slightly better, but take common game scenarios.

1) All they have left is chansey, you have starmie (or a random sleeping pokemon or something) and [golem or rhydon]. If its golem, you win bar an ice beam critical hit becuase you can explode, rhydon has to settle for hoping for a bslam para. This situation also works for something like eggy/snorlax, even a paralyzed tauros. Explosion is AMAZING. I cannot stress this.

2) One on One, golem beats rhydon. You might not think so, but matches can come down to this =\

3) You are using a Ground type to stop electrics, and both stop them cold. So why not just use golem to have all the above insurances in late game scenarios?

I feel it's a matter of either Exploding or not Exploding. I always used Rhydon, but people like Exploding on a Eggy, or Alakazam.

Rhydon is generally better, but if you don't have an exploding guy, use Golem. Golem also helps to beat other Rhydons

A matter of preference. Despite what Jackal and Great Sage said, one isn't better than the other. If your Rock/Ground is the only Pokemon left against a paralyzed Starmie at like 98% health, Rhydon is MUCH better off than Golem.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Jackal's right; practicality over technicality! Rhydon switching into a paralyzed chansey and managing to put up a sub is sweaty shit, however.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Onix yet as it get Bind and can beat Golem and Rhydon with a little luck, to bad it's atk piss-poor.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Onix yet as it get Bind and can beat Golem and Rhydon with a little luck, to bad it's atk piss-poor.
Onix is used in NU/UU. His stats aren't the hottest. But Rhydon can used Special attacks. (Surf, Thunder, Blizzard). But hardly anyone uses Special movies in Rock/Ground Pokemon in R/B/Y. Golem can only use Fire Blast.

Personally, I usually have a Beedrill somewhere tucked into my squad (I'm a fun battler, not really competitive)...

However, I'm betting that's not suitable for you, I'll third the king.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
NIdoking is just another pokemon that wears down by Zapdos' offense, though. ANd it also doesn't have Rhydon and Golem's ability to absorb Hyper Beam and Explosion.

Sandslash is a cool ground, however; it has great defense and swords dance, beats both golem and rhydon 1 on 1 i think, and sweeps better than both of them when enemies are paralyzed.

I dont like Golem cuz sometimes i end up exploding on something and then find out they dont have tauros they have Jolteon. gg :(

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
wow how have i not responded to this yet.

anyway. they're both great. and it really depends on what you're looking for. an exploder or a non-exploder. because the defensive advantage that golem has is moot due to rhydon's extra health. so really, it's a matter of feeling comfortable with blowing up your electric counter/normal resist or not. sometimes it can be invaluable and be the difference between a win and a loss. other times you end up not even needing to explode, in which cases having rhydon would be better. there really isn't an answer to this.

Or, you could try the alternative path and go Sandslash, which can Swords Dance, doesn't fear Water or Mega Drain as much, and is the fastest ground that has a realistic measure of defense (Duggy and Onix, go home). But, no normal resist and Zapdos has more potential to own you. The only other ground to think of using, Nidoking (or Queen, but King is ALWAYS better), is inferior in EQ deliverance. Pick between the Rock/Grounds and 'Slash.

Or, you could try the alternative path and go Sandslash, which can Swords Dance, doesn't fear Water or Mega Drain as much, and is the fastest ground that has a realistic measure of defense (Duggy and Onix, go home). But, no normal resist and Zapdos has more potential to own you. The only other ground to think of using, Nidoking (or Queen, but King is ALWAYS better), is inferior in EQ deliverance. Pick between the Rock/Grounds and 'Slash.
Can we suggest Marowak while were at it?

GreenPikachu

pumpkin pieco
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
sandslash is not a normal resist like rhydon and golem are, which leaves it at a disadvantage, unless you pair it with a gengar. as long as you have something to switch in on predicted hyper beams/explosions, you're in business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)