Rhyperior (Analysis) [QC 0/2]

Rhyperior, a true beast.

Monsta!

[Overview]
-Monster Attack and excellent coverage.
-Impressive HP and defense.
-2 common weaknesses, both water and grass which are 4x super effective.
-bad sp.def although it is slightly compensated when Rhyperior is used in sandstorm.
-Solid Rock is a excellent ability, especially for a Pokemon with so many common type weaknesses.

[SET]
name: Standard
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Stone Edge / Rock Blast
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Substitute / Fire Punch
item: Leftovers
ability: Solid Rock
nature: Adamant
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
-Earthquake and Stone Edge are a strong STAB duo and have impressive coverage. Rock Blast can be used to break fragile Pokemon's substitutes.
-Ice Punch takes care of Dragon-types, megahorn has little benefit in the current metagame. it also destroys Gliscor as most lack Roost due to Poison-heal.
-Substitute allows Rhyperior to scout as well as it creates 101 hp substitutes, therefore seismic Toss never breaks it.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-works well in sandstorm, thanks to 50% sp.def boost.
-teammates to take water and grass attacks are encouraged.
-speed evs allows rhyperior to outspeed Roobushin

[SET]
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: Fire Punch / Ice Punch
item: Life Orb
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
-poor speed remedied by Rock Polish.
-duo stab moves.
-Fire Punch to wreck nattorei and Forretress while Ice Punch destroys Dragons.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-Pokemon that can take out its counters allow Rhyperior to make a clean sweep.
-Entry hazard support once again is needed, nattorei can set them up and has good synergy.

name: Choice Band
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Ice Punch / Megahorn
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 212 HP / 252 Att / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
-Easily OHKO's or 2hkos anything that does not resist its attacks.
-Dual STAB powerful attacks have good coverage.
-Ice Punch for the likes of Garchomp and other dragons if you prefer not tto risk stone edge missing.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-entry hazard support is vital
-teammates needed to prevent foes on setting up on banded Rhyperior
-Speed EVs set to outspeed min speed roobushin.

[Team Options]
-Sandstorm
-entry hazard support
-teammates covering its glaring water and grass-type weaknesses.

[Optional Changes]
-Megahorn
-Superpower
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Tail

[Counters]
-Nattorei can take on Fire Punchless Rhyperior with Power Whip.
-Burungeru, Swampert and other bulky waters.
-Hippodown
-It can easily be revenge killed by numoerous Pokemon, Ludicolo, Kingdra, Manaphy etc.

[dream world]
-Reckless. Quite useless seeing as Rhyperior doesn't even use Take Down.

He has 3 common weaknesses that are SE; you forgot Ice. Is Aqua Tail a reasonable option for coverage?
Ice does not hit it for 4x super effective and isn't anywhere as common as the 2 aforementioned types. Also no Aqua Tail when used incognito with Rhyperior's STAB gets walled by too many common Pokemon, most notably Nattorei.

Ice does not hit it for 4x super effective and isn't anywhere as common as the 2 aforementioned types. Also no Aqua Tail when used incognito with Rhyperior's STAB gets walled by too many common Pokemon, most notably Nattorei.
Whoops, I could've sworn Ice hit Rock 4x SE. Sorry.

How does Rhyperior do with a Choice Band or Scarf?

Male sprite! To be honest, Rhyperior hasn't changed much.

name: Sandstorm Abuser
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Choice Band / Life Orb / Expert Belt
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD

A sandstorm with that EV spread can get your defences to about equal amounts. Choice Band dishes out a lot of damage, Life Orb helps out everything and the Expert Belt is an idea as this set can hit 13 of the 17 types (that's as much as Electivire). Incidentally, this set could have been pulled off in generation 4.

Male sprite! To be honest, Rhyperior hasn't changed much.

name: Sandstorm Trick Room Abuser
move 3: Megahorn
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Coice Band / Expert Belt
nature: Brave
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 SpD
ivs: 0 spe

A sandstorm with that EV spread can get your defences to about equal amounts. Brave nature and 0 speed IVs are there in case you plan to use Trick Room (which helps wonderfully) to support it. Choice Band dishes out a lot of damage however the Expert Belt is an idea as this set can hit 13 of the 17 types (that's as much as Electivire). Gravity is also very appreciated for this set. Incidentally, this set could have been pulled off in generation 4.
so you want trick room gravity and sandstorm for this rhyperior? sounds pretty unrealistic. also choice band and expert belt are definitely outclassed by life orb for a trick room sweeper as it wants as much power as possible, while being able to switch moves and not needing to switch out and waste trick room.

so you want trick room gravity and sandstorm for this rhyperior? sounds pretty unrealistic. also choice band and expert belt are definitely outclassed by life orb for a trick room sweeper as it wants as much power as possible, while being able to switch moves and not needing to switch out and waste trick room.
Whatever and I do realize that it is almost impossible to have more than 2 of the following up at the same time (Trick Room, Sandstorm, Gravity) however having 2 of the 3 works well.

I'll change it so you only need Sandstorm up.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The first set might need a re-evaluation with the EVs. While Speed is not necessarily a bad idea, Swampert is kind of a rare sight to see. This leaves Skarmory to deal with, and it's just better to switch out or try to predict the Roost with an Earthquake.
-Ice Punch takes care of Dragon-types, megahorn has little benefit in the current metagame.
With the exception of Garchomp and Flygon, most Dragon-types hate Earthquake or Stone Edge if they attempt to switch into Rhyperior. Even when a Dragon comes out, unless you know for sure it's physical, you're probably running away (want to test Rhyperior against a Latios? Be my guest man...). It's more notable versus Gliscor, especially thanks to the Poison Heal variants unable to pack Roost. In the SET COMMENTS, you also don't explain the reason for Fire Punch, which is for Nattorei in particular (though it allows you to stay into Skarmory easier as well).

Choice Band should definitely be in here, and either the next set or the first set altogether. Rhyperior's dual STAB power is hard to match up, and it can at least withstand a hit and scare some Pokemon off. Definitely go with Stone Edge / Earthquake / Ice Punch / Fire Punch or Megahorn.

The first set might need a re-evaluation with the EVs. While Speed is not necessarily a bad idea, Swampert is kind of a rare sight to see. This leaves Skarmory to deal with, and it's just better to switch out or try to predict the Roost with an Earthquake.

With the exception of Garchomp and Flygon, most Dragon-types hate Earthquake or Stone Edge if they attempt to switch into Rhyperior. Even when a Dragon comes out, unless you know for sure it's physical, you're probably running away (want to test Rhyperior against a Latios? Be my guest man...). It's more notable versus Gliscor, especially thanks to the Poison Heal variants unable to pack Roost. In the SET COMMENTS, you also don't explain the reason for Fire Punch, which is for Nattorei in particular (though it allows you to stay into Skarmory easier as well).

Choice Band should definitely be in here, and either the next set or the first set altogether. Rhyperior's dual STAB power is hard to match up, and it can at least withstand a hit and scare some Pokemon off. Definitely go with Stone Edge / Earthquake / Ice Punch / Fire Punch or Megahorn.
Thanks;p although I'm not done writing this yet hence 'placeholder' I still have alot to add. Also regarding the EVs for the first set that you told me to change, I made it so to outspeed Roobushin.

Band could be good, but... doesn't he get Swords Dance? :0 Maybe mention of a bulky Swords Dancer set would be good.

I've been using Rhyperior a lot this gen, and in my opinion a CB set is the way to go. Subs are usually broken as soon as they're put up. He just has too many weaknesses. That said, his defenses surprise me often. An opponent will usually let their blaziken/medicham/salamence/wahtever stay in, thinking their se move will kill it, but it never does (From full). Not much at all does actually. Any physical attack (Bar water and grass)does peanuts to this beast, and that's with 252 hp evs, but none in either defense.

Rain teams are really annoying for him, though that'll stop soon I hope.

The overview really presents Rhyperior in too positive of a light.

Of its 6 weaknesses, 5 are extremely common and pack either 4x super-effectiveness (Water, Grass) or have high power behind them (Ground, Fighting). It's low speed and crippling SpD need should be mentioned alongside those great HP and physical stats to give the reader a better idea of what they're getting into.

With Roobushin/Conkeldurr's equally massive Attack, priority, good STAB (though not as versatile as Ground/Rock), decent bulk (threatening after a Bulk Up), okay recovery in Drain Punch, and much better defensive typing, some players might be inclined to just pick the big clown over Rhyperior. You might want to mention Rhyp's advantages, such as great offensive STAB, Sandstorm synergy, and a Speed boosting move. Maybe he's like a high-risk, high-reward Roob?

Then again, tell me if I'm wrong in saying that Roobushin offers a similar role. After all, they're both intended to be bulky sweepers.

@IcyMan28 While I agree I've put too much good and skipped on alot of the bad, Ground, Steel and Fighting type moves are primarily physical and with Solid Rock+its impresive defense it can easily take several hits. I already mentioned Water+Grass as they are common and are 4x super effective.
This is far from the case. Here are a few calcs to demonstrate just how much damage Rhyperior is taking from common metagame attacks:

Adamant Rohbshin's Drain Punch vs. 252/0 Adamant Rhyperior: (39.40% - 46.54%)
Adamant Metagross' Meteor Mash vs. 252/0 Adamant Rhy: (50.69% - 60.14%)
Jolly Doryuuzu's Earthquake vs. 252/0 Adamant Rhy: (46.54% - 54.84%)
CBScizor's Bullet Punch vs. 252/0 Adamant Rhy: (44.47% - 52.76%)
ScarfChomp's Earthquake vs. 252/0 Adamant Rhy: (44.93% - 53.23%)

It may have impressive bulk, but it is usually 2HKOd (or close to it) even through solid rock with these unboosted attacks. You can imagine what SD Dory or Bulk Up Roopushin would do.

this is so unready for checks. you have empty lines, and almost all your set comments etc are 1 short sentence/word. imo definitely needs some revising and just additions in general.

this is so unready for checks. you have empty lines, and almost all your set comments etc are 1 short sentence/word. imo definitely needs some revising and just additions in general.
I usually tend to not include so much other than the important, when it comes to writing the actual analysis you will see how much there is. I've written quite alot of analysis (4th and 5th) and most of the QC members are familiar, besides Rhyperior is a gen 4 Pokemon, hasn't got much improvement etc..Thank you for your concern however.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I hate to do this but this gets a rejection from me. Like I understand why you would want to use Rhyperior. (access to Solid Rock, incredible bulk) but all of that goes to waste because of his godawful speed stat.

It just faces so much competition from the likes of Garchomp, Landlos and Doryuuzu. It's unique enough to differentiate itself from the Garchomp/Landlos/Doryuuzu but that doesn't necessarily mean it warrants use over them.

QC REJECTED 1/3

Bloo

Banned deucer.
I don't think Rhyperior really has a place in OU right now when there are better sand sweepers available. Landlos does a much better job with Rock Polish, since it's much faster, is immune to Toxic Spikes and Spikes, can actually take down Gliscor with Hidden Power Ice. Excadrill also has Sand Throw to boosts its Speed to amazing levels, Rapid Spin to rid of entry hazards, and can boost up with Swords Dance to become a fearsome sweeper. There's also Garchomp, who is arguably a better Choice Bander than Rhyperior. 'Chomp , like Rhyperior, also has Swords Dance / Stealth Rock, and Sand Veil to top it all off. The only thing Rhyperior has going for it over the aforementioned 'mons is Solid Rock, but that isn't enough to warrant an OU analysis for it IMO. Sorry, but I'll have to reject this.

QC REJECTED (2/3)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)