ORAS Doubles OU Rise and Shine

Hey Everyone First Crack at a competitive team for gen VI i'm trying to make a sun team around charizard-y (original i know :P), but i always loved sun as a theme and venusaur is one of my favorites so i thought i'd take a shot. Haven't tested this out much yet but thought i'd post it here for some advice.

Charizard-Y @ Charizardite Y

Ability: Drought (Base: Blaze)

Ev: 4HP/252SpA/252Spe Nature: Timid

Moves:

Heat Wave

Solar Beam

Ancient Power

Protect

The sun setter of the team and the usual lead. Pretty standard moves here Heat Wave Hits both opposing pokemon and ohkos and 2ohkos most things. Solar Beam for some good coverage that dosen't need a turn to charge under the sun. Ancient power is to let me counter opposing charizard-y and let's me get talonflame for a quad weakness. Charizard is here to be both a sun setter and a powerful wall breaker due to it's massive Special Attack and decent speed. It's here to come out mega-evolve and hit hard. Protect is here to make sure it can mega evolve and let it scout out moves or to stall against opposing rock slide users. Sweeper EVs and a timid nature to let it out speed some more threats at the cost of some damage.

Venusaur @ Life Orb

Ability: Chlorophyll

EVs: 4Hp/252SpA/252Spe Nature: Timid

Moves:

Giga Drain

Sludge Bomb

Sleep Powder

Protect/Growth

Standard Chlorophyll Pairs Great with Charizard as an opening or can come in later if i need to deal with a lead my opponent sends out. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are good stab move that also give venusaur some sustain. Sleep Powder can be great to take out a threat or to at least force the opponent to swap. I'm undecided whether i want growth or protect in the last spot. Protect is all around great in doubles allowing venusaur to stall while a partner takes out a threath, but growth is amazing under the sun and let venusaur sweep entire teams. Timid is a personnel choice as I prefer slightly faster teams over pure power.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Rough Skin

EVs 252Atk/4SpA/252Spe Nature: Naive

Moves:

Outrage

Earthquake

Rock Slide

Fire Blast

Choice Scarf Garchomp Is Here to Basically be a second lead Pair for Charizard As it can take out other Charizard effectively and it has decent coverage along with charizard. It can spam earthquake with charizard and not damage it that and heatwave combined should be devasting to any lead pair that doesn't come with a flying type or levitate. Fire Blast is there to take advantage of the sun giving it some extra oomph but other recommendations are welcome. The Choice is there to allow garchomp to check threats that are faster than charizard and could OHKO it.

Mienshao @ Focus Sash

Ability: Inner focus/Regenerator

EVs: 4Hp/252Atk/252Spe Nature: Jolly

Moves:

Fake Out

High Jump Kick

Knock Off

Quick Guard/Wide Guard

Mienshao is a nice supportive attacker for this team as he can pack either wide guard or quick guard. I haven't decided which wide guard protects against rock slide while quick guard is great at stopping talon flame and sucker punch users. Meinshao is also handy for fake out to almost guarantee one of my opponents won't be making a move and he can threaten rock types with a strong high jump kick. focus sash is here to give him some leg room to work as he won't die instantly in most cases now.

Bisharp @ Focus Sash

Ability: Defiant

EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spe Nature: Adamant

Moves:

Sucker Punch

Iron Head

Night Slash

Protect

Bisharp is here as a nice check to psychic and ghost types with his access to sucker giving him some priority to snipe them off. While being under the sun aggravates his fire weakness he will most likely not live anyway so it's not much of an issue. Iron Head is nice to hit fairy types and the flinch chance is always nice. Night Slash is a good secondary option where sucker punch may not be reliable, and protect just for it's utility. Here i use adamant over jolly because even with a positive nature bisharp doesn't outspeed most things. I will admit that bisharp is mostly here because of how much i like the pokemon.

Klefki @ Heat Rock

Ability: Prankster

EVs: 252Hp/164Def/94SpD Nature: Calm

Moves:

Sunny Day

Safeguard

Thunder Wave

Foul Play

Klefki is the one pure supportive pokemon I am running for this team. While i was making it i decided having a second sun setter would be nice. Ninetales didn't really fit as i didn't need more damage. Then I saw Kleki. Having access to sunny day safguard and thunder wave is great letting it set up sun protect my team from satus effects and even cripple the opponents with paralysis. Foul Play is there just for some nice damage against strong physical threats.

So there's my sun team any suggestions would be appreciated.

Edit: Would also like to run this in Battle spot VCG format so any suggestions for that would be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the reply Klefki's Evs are for 2 specific moves Earthquake and heatwave i believe with the specific spread he lives through all the common earthquake users and lives thorough any unboosted heat wave while that's uncommon i see it worth having over the slight loss in defense

Few move changes I would make are Outrage to Dragon Claw. In doubles, you can't pick which mon Outrage targets so it can kind of put you in shitty situations sometimes. Dragon Claw is less powerful but more reliable imo and you don't get locked into it.

I would change Night Slash to Knock Off on bisharp as well. Knock Off hits a lot harder initially and has more utility than Night Slash.

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
I would change Overheat/Fire Blast>Ancientpower on zard, as it gives you a ridiculously strong attack when you need to kill something, and there really aren't that many other charizards running around at the moment.

thanks for the replies guys i'd like to add this to my rmt I want to run this team on battle spot as well so i was wondering if there were any suggestions to changes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)