ORAS OU RMT Balance / Bulky Offense Team ~ Help?

Hey! I'm back with my second RMT, this time a Balance Team built around one of my favourite mega in the OU metagame: Mega Heracross.

TEAM PREVIEW​

INTRODUCTION​

I built this team starting from an offensive core found in the Resource Thread on this site. The core is composed by Mega Heracross and Weavile, 2 faboulous mons in OU. I really love Mega Heracross' bulkyness but he has some weaknesses that I tried to cover in the Teambuilding Phase. Weavile covers some of them such as Lando-T, Mega Altaria, Gliscor, Lati@s, Slowbro, Dragonite and Garchomp.
These 2 mons have great sinergy offensively but they share 2 important type-weaknesses, Fairy and Fire. I immediatly added Heatran to cover this holes and to have a check to Talonflame and Clefable. Heatran is even a reliable SR setter.
Then I thought I would have many problems dealing with Mega Charizard X and Belly Drum Azumarill so I went for Quagsire as my fourth mon but then I replaced it with Rotom-W following ez 's suggestion.
I chose Latias for defog support and cuz she can deal with Keldeo, Slowbro, Mega Venusaur and Breloom and lastly I opted for ScarfLando-T to check Mega Medicham, Mega Lopunny (without Ice Punch), to have a good revengiller and trying to deal with the Birdspam core.

IN - DEPTH

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 160 HP / 152 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SDef / 140 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
- Substitute​

I really enjoy myself using this mon because of his incredible bulkyness and high attack base stat. I chose a SubSD set because it prevents me from gettin burned by some annoying mons like Rotom-W and gives me a little time to increase my power and clean the opposing team: he's also a good wincon. Close Combat is the main attack (STAB) and Rock Blast is a coverage move to use against Talonflame and other Flying Types (behind the sub obv). The EV Spread lets me outspeed 44 Spd Rotom-W and 8 Spd Defensive Lando-T, to keep my substitute on against Rotom-W's Volt Switch, Hippowdown's Stone Edge, Amoonguss' HP Fire and FatChomp's Dragon Tail.
EV Spread inspired by Professional2341

0 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 160 HP / 52 SpD Mega Heracross: 72-85 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

+2 152+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 364-430 (119.7 - 141.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Garchomp Dragon Tail vs. 160 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 72-85 (21.1 - 24.9%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

+2 152+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 424-499 (101.6 - 119.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 Atk Hippowdon Stone Edge vs. 160 HP / 4 Def Mega Heracross: 70-83 (20.5 - 24.3%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

+2 152+ Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 395-465 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

0 SpA Amoonguss Hidden Power Fire vs. 160 HP / 52 SpD Mega Heracross: 70-84 (20.5 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab​

Weavile checks some of MegaHeracross' threats. He's also a good revengekiller thanks to his high speed and pretty priority. I chose to run a classic LO set just and Poison Jab > Pursuit because I need to hardhit fairies. I was thinking about switching it into Low Kick for other Weaviles and Thorn.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt​

Heatran helps me avoiding stealth rock set ups by mons like Skarmory and Clefable, stops Mega Venu and Amoonguss from using annoying moves (spore, leech seed etc.). He also deals with LO Serperior (without HP Ground). With Lava Plume I can take care of Mega Scizor and Thorn and Taunt helps me against stall. Earth Power gives me coverage against other Heatrans and ZardX.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spd
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave​

Rotom-W is the first member of my Volt-Turn core thanks to volt switch, checks Talonflame and is my first answer to water types like Slowbro and Quagsire. I've decided to run a Double Status set in order to take care of both Azumarill and ZardX, two big threats of my team. Concerning the item, I thought of giving him the Sitrus Berry but I tried Leftovers and it filled better in my team.

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog​

Latias is my second check to water types like Keldeo and Slowbro and checks even Breloom, Mega Venusaur. She's not as bulky as I'd like (especially against Specs Keldeo's Hydro Pump) but she's good though. Psyshock helps me against AV Raikou, Chansey etc. and Draco Meteor is for pure STAB spamming.

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-Turn​

Lando-T revengekilles many threats such as Mega Diance and checks Mega Medicham. He usually spams Earthquake or uses U-Turn to grab momentum. Stone Edge is there for birds and other Flying Types.(Torn-T. Thundurus..). Knock Off is just an utility move but helps a lot agains Lati@s and Gengar.

THREAT LIST​

-
Weavile: Weavile is quite annoying for this team. I can only check him with Mega Heracross, otherwise I take so many damage from him.
-
CM Mega Sableye: CM MegaSab is probably the biggest threat to my team. None of my mons can deal with (Mega Heracross can but only if MSab is already mega evolved).
-
Manaphy: Manaphy is quite threatening for my team since I have only Latias that can deal with him.
-
Mega Gardevoir-Mega Diancie: Ok guys, I completely forgot about them! Mega Gardevoir and Mega Diancie are definitely the biggest threats of this team! I realized I have no switch-ins and I can just revengekill them with Weavile or Lando-T.
-
CB Azumarill: No switch-ins for him and Rotom-W is 2HKOd by his Play Rough.

REPLAYS
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-414862418 (vs. BirdSpam)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-415445137 (vs. Mega Sab + SubSeed Serp + Zygarde)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-417287531 (vs. Mega Heracross team) (With Rotom-W>Quagsire)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-418344190 (vs. Sand Team)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-418829687 (Mega Heracross Sweep)

CONCLUSION

To sum up, this is a pretty cool Team even if it has some bis weaknesses. I'd want you to help me discovering them and trying to cover atleast some, if you want ^^.

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 160 HP / 152 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SDef / 140 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance
- Substitute

Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-Turn

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Another option for your quagsire is rocky helmet because you don't really need leftovers since you have recover.
and latias i notice it says thunderbolt/psyshock just thought i would say to go with psyshock just because of pure damage of it and STAB.

Yes weavile is a threat to it and Heracross being the only one to check him with is a risky play since he won't really give up his weavile against your team he will probably just switch out to counter your heracross.
though if you put 252 ev's in speed and choice band on your weavile you could add a fighting type move like brick break and beat his weavile.
Hope I helped. Good Luck with your battles I hope for you to be able to use this team effectively!

Another option for your quagsire is rocky helmet because you don't really need leftovers since you have recover.
and latias i notice it says thunderbolt/psyshock just thought i would say to go with psyshock just because of pure damage of it and STAB.

Yes weavile is a threat to it and Heracross being the only one to check him with is a risky play since he won't really give up his weavile against your team he will probably just switch out to counter your heracross.
though if you put 252 ev's in speed and choice band on your weavile you could add a fighting type move like brick break and beat his weavile.
Hope I helped. Good Luck with your battles I hope for you to be able to use this team effectively!
Thank you for your advices! I think Leftovers are needed on Quagsire otherwise I take a probably 2HKO from ZardX' Dragon Claw (whereas I need to check him and the only way is to stall with Curse+Recover+Leftovers. ^^
I'm gonna try Low Kick over Poison Jab on Weavile :)
Thank you again! :)

Hello, nice team you have here. The common bird spam team with mega pinsir can be a pain to deal with as nothing appreciates switching into mega pinsir. Also as you mentioned azumarill can be a huge pain as azumarill can switch into your choice locked weavile or your heatran then grab a kill since it 2kos everything on your team. As you mentioned in your threatlist, strong fairies like gardevoir-mega/dianice-mega are very hard to switch into making them a big threat. I have a few suggestion that can improve this team.

->
Quagsire is a huge momentum drain for the team as quagsire is always forced to recover every time it switches into a mon so it can switch into the mon again the next time that pokemon comes in. Since your forced to recover you give your opponent a free turn which means you lose momentum. I recommend you run a rotom-w over quagsire as rotom-wash can compliment your volt turn core with landorus allowing weavile and heracross to have more free switch ins. Rotom-W also gives you a solid answer to both mega pinsir and azumarill as you can switch in and threaten them both to switch with a volt switch giving you the momentum.

My next recommendation is to run life orb over choice band on weavile. Choice band weavile can be a huge momentum drain as if your choice locked into the wrong move things like skarmory/clefable can heal back up making it harder for your heracross to break teams. Running Life orb gives you more flexibility as you won't be choice locked into a move meaning nothing can abuse you being choice locked.

On your heracross-mega i would recommend you replace sub or sword dance with pin missile. Without Pin Missile some psychic types have an easier time switching in because you do not have a way to punish them. Running Pin missile allows you to hit psychic types. You can keep sword dance allowing you to break bulkier teams better as you will hit harder. Or you keep substitute to allow yourself to stay in longer meaning you can do better versus more offensive teams and can block status moves like wil-o-wisp. It just comes down to how you want to play so choosing either or is fine.

My next recommendation is to run earth power over toxic on heatran. This allows heatran to hit other heatrans but more importantly punish dianice-mega when they switch in and also hit charizard x not allowing it to set up. losing toxic means you cannot widdle mons like talonflame, keldeo, slowbro, slowbro-mega etc but talonflame can be magma stormed taunt down and keldeos can be dealt with by using latias, slowbro-mega cannot get put on a timer without toxic but since now you have pin missile on heracross you can 2ko it and eliminate or force it out that way. You can also run lava plume over magma storm. Magma storm only has 8 pp meaning it is very easy to stall out. If you are out of magma storm steel and grass types can wall you more easily as you do not have a way to hit them. Running lava plume gives you more pp and also is more accurate. Lava plume also has a chance to burn which is always nice to give chip damage or to cut opponent's attack in half. Without magma storm it is harder to break threw defensive teams because things like chansey can switch out however you already have heracross-mega to stall break and your physical attackers in heracross-mega/weavile do not gain much with the removal of chansey.

With the removal of quagsire your team is a bit weaker to threats like charizard x. You can play around charizard x by not giving it free set up or switch ins by forcing it out as most mons on your team has a way hit it. You also have a revenge killer with scarf landorus so as long as you pressure enough where it cannot set up then you can revenge kill it or just scare it out and u-turn to gain momentum as with the intimidate it wont be as big of a threat. You also have the option of running thunder wave on rotom-w making charizard x more managble as now most members of your team have a way to outspeed and hit charizard x. The removal of quagsire also made your team more weak to bisharp but bisharp can be played around with your fast heatran, rotom-w and mega heracross. Strong fairies like dianice-mega and gardevoir-mega are still very hard to switch into so try to pressure them out by leading with something that can threathen them out so they do not get a kill or a lot of damage on your mons turn 1 like your poison jab weavile. Try to always pressure them out giving them no safe way to switch in. if they do end up coming in you still have ways to revenge kill with weavile being able to hit them with poison jab or scarf landorus-therian being able to pick them off.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 160 HP / 152 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance / Pin Missile
- Substitute / Pin Missile

Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

This is a standard rotom-w set with 44 speed allow you to outspeed jolly max speed azumarill. wilo allows you to punish physical attackers, hydro for hitting fire types like heatran, talonflame that wanna roost etc, volt switch is for momentum and pain split to stay alive and give longevity. Additionally you have the option to run thunder wave to give speed control and making a lot of huge threats easier to revenge kill like charizard x. You wont be able to hit certain mons like scizor-mega but you have fast heatran for them.

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Last edited:
Hello, nice team you have here. The common bird spam team with mega pinsir can be a pain to deal with as nothing appreciates switching into mega pinsir. Also as you mentioned azumarill can be a huge pain as azumarill can switch into your choice locked weavile or your heatran then grabbing a kill since it 2kos everything on your team. As you mentioned in your threatlist, strong fairies like gardevoir-mega/dianice-mega are very hard to switch into making them a big threat. I have a few suggestion that can improve this team.

->
Quagsire is a huge momentum drain for the team as quagsire is always forced to recover every time it switches into a mon so it can switch into the mon again the next time that pokemon comes in. Since your forced to recover you give your opponent a free turn which means you lose momentum. I recommend you run a rotom-w over quagsire as rotom-wash can compliment your volt turn core with landorus allowing weavile and heracross to have more free switch ins. Rotom-W also gives you a solid answer to both mega pinsir and azumarill as you can switch in and threaten them both to switch with a volt switch giving you the momentum.

My next recommendation is to run life orb over choice band on weavile. Choice band weavile can be a huge momentum drain as if your choice locked into the wrong move things like skarmory/clefable can heal back up making it harder for your heracross to break teams. Running Life orb gives you more flexibility as you won't be choice locked into a move meaning nothing can abuse you being choice locked.

On your heracross-mega i would recommend you replace sub or sword dance with pin missile. Without Pin Missile some psychic types have an easier time switching because you do not have a way to punish them. Running Pin missile allows you to hit psychic types. You can keep sword dance allowing you to break bulkier teams better as you will hit harder. Or you keep substitute to allow yourself to stay in longer meaning you can do better versus more offensive teams and can block status moves like wil-o-wisp. It just comes down to how you want to play so choosing either or is fine.

My next recommendation is to run earth power over toxic on heatran. This allows heatran to hit other heatrans but more importantly punish dianice-mega when they switch in and also hit charizard x not allowing it to set up. losing toxic means you cannot widdle mons like talonflame, keldeo, slowbro, slowbro-mega etc but talonflame can be magma stormed taunt down and keldeos can be dealt with by using latias, slowbro-mega cannot get put on a timer without toxic but since now you have pin missile on heracross you can 2ko it and eliminate or force it out that way. You can also run lava plume over magma storm. Magma storm only has 8 pp meaning it is very easy to stall out. If you are out of magma storm steel and grass types can wall you more easily as you do not have a way to hit them. Running lava plume gives you more pp and also is more accurate. Lava plume also has a chance to burn which is always nice to give chip damage or to cut opponent's attack in half. Without magma storm it is harder to break threw defensive teams because things like chansey can switch out however you already have heracross-mega to stall break and your physical attackers in heracross-mega/weavile do not gain much with the removal of chansey.

With the removal of quagsire your team is a bit weaker to threats like charizard x. You can play around charizard x by not giving it free set up or switch ins by forcing it out as most mons on your team has a way hit it. You also have a revenge killer with scarf landorus so as long as you pressure enough where it cannot set up then you can revenge kill it or just scare it out and u-turn to gain momentum as with the intimidate it wont be as big of a threat. You also have the option of running thunder wave on rotom-w making charizard x more managble as now most members of your team have a way to outspeed and hit charizard x. The removal of quagsire also made your team more weak to bisharp but bisharp can be played around with your fast heatran, rotom-w and mega heracross. Strong fairies like dianice-mega and gardevoir-mega are still very hard to switch into so try to pressure them out by leading with something that can threathen them out so they do not get a kill or a lot of damage on your mons turn 1 like your poison jab weavile. Try to always pressure them out giving them no safe way to switch in. if they do end up coming in you still have ways to revenge kill with weavile being able to hit them with poison jab or scarf landorus-therian being able to pick them off.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Heracross @ Heracronite
EVs: 160 HP / 152 Atk / 4 Def / 52 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance / Pin Missile
- Substitute / Pin Missile

Weavile @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave / Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
This is a standard rotom-w set with 44 speed allow you to outspeed jolly max speed azumarill. wilo allows you to punish physical attackers, hydro for hitting fire types like heatran, talonflame that wanna roost etc, volt for momentum and pain split to stay alive and give longevity. Additionally you have the option to run thunder wave to give speed control and making a lot of huge threats easier to revenge kill like charizard x. You wont be able to hit certain mons like scizor-mega but you have fast heatran for them.

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog
Hi man, thank you so much! I like your changes a lot and I promise I'll try them out. I love Rotom-W > Quagsire because I needed a Volturn core. But I think could be better running this set, what do you think bout?

Rotom-W @ Sitrus Berry

Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Running double status and no Pain Split Rotom-W is risky I know but I really need someone to stop ZardX's set up and TW Tom is quite good because he lets my Lando-T or Heatran revengekill him. But I also need Wow for Azu xD
Earth Power over Toxic on Heatran makes Slowbro being a threat to my team and Pin Missile on Heracross isn't such a good option imho. The core composed by Heatran and MHeracross is awesome and really useful against utility MSableye. In the evo Turn Heatran stops MSab's Wow and forces him to use Knock Off or to switch and this lets me switch into my Heracross and set up my substitute and then SD to hit hard everything comes in.
Moreover, fairys are still threatening for my team. I'd really want to find a way to beat them :(

Last edited:
I've definetely replaced Quagsire for Rotom-W as ez suggested me and I added some replays in order to make your rate easier and to show you how my team has improved. Hope you'll still help me!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)