[RMT] Bulky Offense [Sand]

I started this team out of love for Bulky, heavy hitters, set up teams and things that revolve around my Tyranitar fetish. Being the king of bulky offense, I planned my team to cover the strengths and weaknesses of a sand team as best I could.

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Careful 232hp/24atk/252s.def
Crunch
Dragon Tail
Thunder Wave
Stealth Rock

Tyranitar is my lead, and admittedly this set was taken from Jibaku. I've used Mixed Ttars, SubPunch Ttars, Banded and Scarfed Ttars. As my favorite Pokemon in the game, he's been a core member of mine since Gold/Silver. The benefit to this set is that it inflates Tyranitar's high special defense to crazy levels in the sand. Reaching 492 s.def Ttar can absorb fire attacks and even eat surfs from undedicated attackers like a boss.

His primary job on the team is to bring Rocks down. However this is not all he can do. Being a fan of multi-purpose hazard setters, Thunder Wave gives Ttar a way of stomping on other bulky pokemon and all but the most brutally offensive dragons by paralyzing them, and then kicking them away with Dragon Tail, racking up entry damage. Many times in a fight Ttar will predict the switch and Dragon Tail, causing your opponent to double switch and incur even more entry damage.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed (0spd) 252hp/48def/208sdef
Leech Seed
Protect
Spikes
Gyro Ball

There's not much to say about Ferrothorn that hasn't been said already. However what I can discuss is how Ferrothorn fits on my team. Ferrothorn is the bulkiest of the pokemon I have on my team, and his job is to set up indirect kills in an stallish sort of manner. Leech Seed prevents opposing walls from setting up on Ferrothorn by giving them a timer. Protect is there for scouting and recovery. Healing Ferrothorn in intense moments where he needs those hits to survive an attack, or to scout an attack, and know and predict the best switch in.

Spikes allow my bulkier pokemon get those needed OHKOs on the opponent and with such low speed Gyro Ball can hit ridiculously hard, and has even managed to 2HKO and even OHKO fast pokemon.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Quiet 188def/252satk/68sdef
Shadow Ball
Psychic
Hidden Power - Fire
Trick Room

Reuniclus has been called broken many times, and in the right times, in the right situations, Reuniclus can be devastating. As a bulky stall breaker, and bulk breaker. Reuniclus can Trick Room on faster teams than mine, allowing devastating sweeps off recoil free, Life Orbed attacks. I chose this EV spread to balance Reuniclus' defenses, and allow it to safely survive long enough to Trick Room.

Reuniclus is the primary sweeper of the team, and due to his power, bulk and hazard immunity, he can take down many of the opponents pokemon before he goes down, or is forced to switch out after Trick Room ends.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Impish 252hp/4atk/252def
Waterfall
Earthquake
Toxic
Roar

Swampert is a very well balanced, bulky water. With an impressive move pool Swampert makes an excellent resist, a phazer, and a beater. This spot has been fairly open many times, and canidates for this slot have been tested and continue to be tested. Swamperts main defense lie in his bulky and sheer ability to resist damage, though he is not very good at eating attacks from very high powered damage dealers.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant 252hp/252atk/4def
Bullet Punch
Pursuit
Superpower
U-Turn

I love Choice Scizor. As a revenge killer in my own opinion (not yours maybe) he's one of the best out there. Between Pursuit and Bullet Punch he gains unique priority that allows him to quickly revenge kill anything not resistant to steel. Or outright kill Pychics and Ghosts who come to harass Reuniclus.

Superpower and U-Turn are there to deal with Steels, Darks and Grass types, etc. that Scizor can survive against with his suprising bulk.

Gliscor @ Leftovers
Adamant
252atk/232def/24spd
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Swords Dance
Roost

Bulky, setup Gliscor with Sand Veil. an amazing team member with Tyranitar Gliscor is my Dragon,Conkeldurr,Excadrill check. He is often able to switch in, and Swords Dance expecting the switch. Often unprepared for this guy, opponents who stay in will learn how bulky the Roost Gliscor is, and how easily he can hit +6. Because he gets in easily, gets in fast and setups painlessly in most cases, he is not afraid to switch out vs. the threat of Ice Beams.

As I test and play this team on PO/WiFi I am always fine tuning and testing things. I don't believe this to be perfect, but it is what i've arrived at so far. Because it's not perfect, I am wanting critique to improve upon it. I am proud of it's success in games, but it has weaknesses and some strengths could arguably be countered better.

As you can see from this resist checker. My team is fairly well balanced type wise, though counters could arguably be stronger to various threats such as Heatran, something that Gliscor, Swampert and Tyranitar are sometimes ineffective to counter. Some of you guys though, can conceivably find more weaknesses than I can currently.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hey nitzle,

this team is pretty bulky but like most bulky teams they suffer from opposing stall teams. you are currently set-up bait for skarmory and to a lesser extent nattorei. its very difficult to take down a taunt skarmory at the moment without getting hax on your side. a swords dance scizor with lo might also be a problematic one. needless to say, a cure for this will be diffuclt but bare with these suggestions: fire blast > dragon tail on tyranitar. not only does this reduce set up opportunity, but if you're lucky and you can play mind games with skarmory, you can easily paralyze it as it roosts of fire blast. this also prevents nattorei from setting up too easily because at the moment, hazards will destroy you.

you might want to consider a defensive rotom-w over swampert for the sole purpose for preventing to let skarmory have its way the entire match. it can also check sub + 3 attacks landlos with hp ice farely well, along with checking swords dance scizor. the set is 252 hp / 212 def / 44 spa modest nature with the movesets hydro pump / thunderbolt/ hp fire / pain split. this should be one of your glues from now on to check the aforementioned threats. give it a try it won't disappoint.

as for other options, SHOULD you consider the rotom-w change you might want to swap 252 hp / 232 def / 20 spe impish gliscor over your current one to add more of a physically defensive to offset the absence of swampert. i'd highly recommend poison heal + protect set but it's your choice personally. overall gl!

hey nitzle,

this team is pretty bulky but like most bulky teams they suffer from opposing stall teams. you are currently set-up bait for skarmory and to a lesser extent nattorei. its very difficult to take down a taunt skarmory at the moment without getting hax on your side. a swords dance scizor with lo might also be a problematic one. needless to say, a cure for this will be diffuclt but bare with these suggestions: fire blast > dragon tail on tyranitar. not only does this reduce set up opportunity, but if you're lucky and you can play mind games with skarmory, you can easily paralyze it as it roosts of fire blast. this also prevents nattorei from setting up too easily because at the moment, hazards will destroy you.

you might want to consider a defensive rotom-w over swampert for the sole purpose for preventing to let skarmory have its way the entire match. it can also check sub + 3 attacks landlos with hp ice farely well, along with checking swords dance scizor. the set is 252 hp / 212 def / 44 spa modest nature with the movesets hydro pump / thunderbolt/ hp fire / pain split. this should be one of your glues from now on to check the aforementioned threats. give it a try it won't disappoint.

as for other options, SHOULD you consider the rotom-w change you might want to swap 252 hp / 232 def / 20 spe impish gliscor over your current one to add more of a physically defensive to offset the absence of swampert. i'd highly recommend poison heal + protect set but it's your choice personally. overall gl!
I didn't think of Rotom-W and it's interesting considering I have an awesome shiny rotom on my cart too! I'm definantly going to give that set a try.

However I'm not quite sure about Fire Blast on Tyranitar. Rotom counters Skarmory well, and has the HP fire to nuke Ferrothorn. Dragon Tail has just been so ridiculously good on Tyranitar so far.

Also I wouldn't really say i'm hazard weak. adding in Rotom who levitates most of my team is neutral or resistant to hazards or ignores spikes outright (Rotom, Reuniclus, Gliscor) or is neutral/resistant to Stealth Rock and three of my pokemon are immune to Toxic Spikes (Reun, Scizor, Ferrothorn). Maybe it's just the teams I faced? i've done pretty well vs. all hazards.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
just a consideration of fire blast but if youre content with my rotom-w idea then dragon tail and fire blast is a toss up. depends what youre feeling before a match so yeah.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)