1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

RMT COLD STEEL power

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by Superman1, May 22, 2012.

1. Superman1

Superman1

2. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

I got your PM. First off, welcome to Smogon! This looks like a nice team, and you seem to have tested it pretty well. For reference, all changes and new sets will be included in hide tags below the post.

Looking through your team, I'm noticing a lack of entry hazards. While not essential, entry hazards are the bane of setup sweepers, which you had trouble with before and still could now. I would suggest changing Registeel's set. The standard tank set should do nicely for moves. Meanwhile, the nature should be Impish and the Special Defense EVs should go to Defense. Even without investing in Special Defense, a Choice Specs Latios - one of OU's premier special attackers - only manages 43.95 - 52.19% with Hidden Power Fire.

Something else that your team needs is a more reliable phaser - Dragon Tail doesn't go through Substitutes. I suggest removing Dragonite for a support Latias. Latias has an awesome support movepool as well as great stats. Wish allows you to support your team (particularly Registeel, who now lacks reliable recovery) and Roar provides a reliable phazing move.
    EDIT: I see you changed Dragonite to Skarmory. Never the less, this suggestion still stands.

At this point, Latias's typing conflicts somewhat with that of Tornadus and Gliscor. The team also lacks a solid answer to Dragon-types that have already set up, as they can easily KO Latias with their Dragon move of choice. I suggest introducing your team to Choice Band Mamoswine. Mamoswine packs a powerful priority move in Ice Shard, and an incredibly powerful Earthquake. Ice Shard can be used to pummel Dragons, finish off Venusaur, and pick apart weakened teams. While your team mostly lacks Special attackers, Mamoswine's sheer power is enough to overcome some physical walls.

The combination of Jellicent, Latias and Registeel gives your team a great defensive backbone. However, you are now facing a mounting Starmie problem, as Starmie can KO every member of your team in the right conditions. To combat this, I recommend replacing Gliscor with a Choice Scarf Rotom-W. Rotom-W is a great Pokemon in today's metagame, with an excellent combination of typing, ability and stats. Its moves can hit many OU Pokemon hard, and Trick stops most walls cold.

Lastly, one tiny change - Water Absorb should be Jellicent's ability. It outclasses Cursed Body in every way.
    Changes (open)
    Change Registeel's set
    Dragonite --> Latias
    Tornadus --> Mamoswine
    Gliscor --> Rotom-W
    Jellicent:
    - Cursed Body --> Water Absorb
    Sets (open)
    Registeel @ Leftovers
    Ability: Clear Body
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Seismic Toss
    - Iron Head

Latias @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Wish
    - Protect
    - Roar

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
    Ability: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Stone Edge
    - Icicle Crash

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    Timid Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Trick
  3. Superman1

Superman1

Wow thanks for the help man! Ill definatly look into these changes
  4. _AlexiS_

_AlexiS_

The problem isn't SpecsTios for Registeel, the problem is Heatran, which is omnypresent and you can't damage him, or wanna talk about Skarmory? He switch in your Regi, put the Spikes, and then Whirwind you! So if you want to use Regi , ok, lets find another set more useful for the metagame, otherwise, lets replace him!
  5. Arcticblast

Arcticblast LOL STAFF FAG
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

Rotom-W, Mienshao, Jellicent and Mamoswine can all beat Heatran. I don't ignore a Pokemon that common when I rate, and obviously Registeel can't take a Fire Blast. That's why you have a team of six Pokemon.
  6. Superman1

Superman1

I agree with artic, Even my old set considered heatran and other OU pokemon. Just cuz regi isnt a OU(Meaning OVER USED no OVERPOWERD) doesnt make him weak. I learned sometimes to make a good OU team you need to lok at ALL the pokemon since they can all be potential of being OU when placed on a team properly. Anyways Artic's set is helping so far. some places Im still losing on but, that just means i need to work out the kinks abit more
  7. Asek

Asek A heart of stone, a smoking gun
    is a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

You should consider fitting Stealth Rock on this team somewhere. Otherwise those DNites will find it a lot easier to abuse their multicales. Registeel is the obvious choice for this.
  8. Superman1

Superman1

I have made some changes to the team above in red. I tried arctic's moveset for Regi but i ended up going back to my original moveset due to it can still survie 3 EQ from a dragonite pr Gliscor after he sets up at the same time as them setting up. I had more people DC from wifi battles using it like this then from the other(tho still good) so i returned to its original moveset. As for the latias I do like it alot with wish adding some extra healing to my team to members in need Roar is kinda a outof place move now since there is no entry hazards so all it really does is shuffle the pokemon in and out of play.

@ Asek I did consider the Entry hazard of stealth rock in, just I am going to keep my Regi the Mono attacker set since it seems to work best for me

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)