XY OU RMT: Defensive Stall Team

I've been using this team on Showdown, and I haven't been doing too badly, but I'm definitely looking for insight on anyway it could be improved. For the most part, the moves, EVs, and natures are straight from the Smogon Strategy Dex, definitely open to suggestions though. This is my first RMT so I'm sorry if it's a little messy or anything. Anyways, here it is:

Venusaur-M @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed

I had never thought about using a Venusaur competitively until I had fought against one of these guys. It was one of the most obnoxious stalls out there for me, so I decided to use it because I couldn't beat it. Giga Draing and Sludge Bomb are obvious STAB moves. Synthesis and Leech Seed provide recovery so Venusaur can stay fighting.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

I usually lead with this pokemon, so I guess technically it should be first on the list. I chose Heatran because it has amazing typing to cover most if not all of Venusaur's weaknesses. Air Balloon is used to protect from any ground type attacks for the first turn it's in battle. Lava Plume is an obvious stab choice because of the 30% chance to burn. I carry Flash Cannon to deal with any fairy types, as well as hit some rock types if it comes down to it. It's saved me in the past against a Tyranitar, so I've always liked having it around. Taunt is a move I often use on other leads or pokemon that like to use recovery moves. It works for me, and can force a few switches. Stealth Rock is good for when I find myself against a team that just keeps switching for the type advantage, which is most teams. I've just always found this combination a lot more useful than the set Smogon Dex recommends for Specially Defensive Heatran.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

Quagsire works really well with Heatran and Venusaur to create a good Grass/Fire/Water core. Unaware is amazing at walling any set-up sweepers. Scald and Earthquake are obvious stab moves. Recover provides nice recovery along with leftovers. Toxic is good to wear down any pokemon that I'm going to have trouble beating through normal means.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
-Earthquake
-Knock Off
-Ice Fang
-Roost

I don't remember really why I chose Gliscor, but I'm glad I did. Poison Heal/Toxic Orb makes for a great combination after Toxic has time to build up. Earthquake is the best STAB move for Gliscor. Knock Off is mostly used for getting rid of leftovers on the opposing pokemon, but I have also found myself using it to counter any psychic or ghost types, as I have almost no other moves that are super-effective against them. Ice Fang really surprises any Garchomps or other Gliscor, which my team was having a lot of trouble dealing with before. Roost is just there for recovery in case Toxic isn't doing it well enough.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-U-Turn

Zapdos was mostly chosen because there was an empty slot that needed filling on my team and I couldn't think of another pokemon to really fill it. Thunderbolt is it's obvious stab move. Heat Wave is there for coverage, and usually catches Ferrothorn by surprise. Roost is recovery. I chose U-turn to be able to switch Zapdos out and attack at the same time. I chose U-turn over Defog because I wasn't using it much, as Heatran often set up stealth rocks and I wouldn't want to get rid of them.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
-Hyper Voice
-Wish
-Protect
-Heal Bell

Sylveon is my Cleric. Wish recovery for any weakened teammates who can't survive with their own recovery options. Heal bell gets rid of all statuses. Hyper Voice is great stab that hits through substitutes, and protect allows it to use wish on itself or scout other sets.

So that's my team. If anyone has any input on it, please do share. Thanks!

Attachments

Mega Medicham is a big problem for this team maybe u can replace Quagsire with Slowbro.

You also need a way to get rid of hazards I think defog on Zapdos would be the choice if u dont wanna switch another member.

Aight so you got yourself a pretty nice concept of teambuilding, but there's some definite room for improvement. I'll try not to drift too far from your intentions, but fortunately you're off to a pretty good start so hopefully not much will need to be done.

First thing's first, let's address the team's strengths and weaknesses. Strengths would be you handle most physical attackers such as Zard X, Azumarill, and Bisharp very well. Weaknesses would be against opposing stall (specifically Chansey) and strong special attackers (such as Lando-I, Keldeo, and Greninja), with the largest weakness of all being CroCune, which can easily find spots to set up and proceed to 6-0 your entire team. The strengths don't need to be touched on, so let's begin with patching up the weaknesses, starting with these two:

So, clearly, Quagsire is your bulky water/Unaware user, and Sylveon is your cleric/fairy type. I agree, this team does need a bulky water, a cleric, and an Unaware user. However, due to your CroCune weakness, Quagsire is not really suited to your team as the ideal Unaware mon, however, with Quag gone you lose Unaware entirely. The solution to this entire dilemma? Unaware Clefable!

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Unaware Clef would do so much good for this team as a whole. The EVs guarantee it cannot be 2HKOd by LO Greninja's Scald after SR, Scarf Garchomp's EQ after SR, or Belly Drum Azumarill's Waterfall after SR. The HP EVs give Clefable an odd HP number, letting it switch in to Stealth Rock slightly better. Not a big difference, but hey, every bit helps.

Now, on to Quagsire. Clefable, with her higher SDef and access to Heal Bell, handles CroCune much better than Quag, but nonetheless, with Pressure, Suicune is more than capable of out-stalling Clef. Additionally, with the loss of Quagsire, Mega Charizard-X becomes more threatening, as (bar Heatran) the rest of the team has no solid answers to the Dragon Dance set. To top it all off, the team STILL has no way of getting past Specs Keldeo, possible the biggest threat of them all. Fortunately, there exists a oft-forgotten pokemon out there that can simultaneously handle CroCune, Zard-X, and Keldeo with ease. What is this miracle pokemon, you ask? None other than the Lord of all Sea Slugs himself:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
Relaxed Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

With Storm Drain, Suicune literally cannot touch Gastrodon. Choice Specs/Scarf Keldeo and CB Azumarill have to play carefully around Gastro lest they inadvertently give the Don a free SAtk boost, and, after a single Curse boost, Choice Specs Sacred Sword cannot even 4HKO Gastrodon, who can then proceed to set up all over the place. Same story for Zard-X, whom Gastrodon can set up on and KO with barely a scratch. EVs capitalize upon making Gastrodon as physically bulky as possible to take on the strongest physical attackers OU has to offer. Just watch out for grass types.

So, now the team should look like this:

That's a pretty good looking lineup. We may come back to this, but for now, let's move on to the details. Changes to sets will be made with slashmarks, with the new implemented in bold. Let's start with Mega Venusaur:

Venusaur-M @ Venusaurite
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed --> Hidden Power [Fire]

The EVs were wonky before, you were missing 12 from HP. Likely an accident, but pointing it out in case you may have missed it. Moving on.

Now, you may think to yourself that you do not have a problem with Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor due to Heatran and Zapdos. And on paper, you don't, HOWEVER, in practice, Ferrothorn can always come in on Gastrodon or Venusaur, set up Leech Seed/Rocks, and switch out. Mega Venusaur could not touch Ferrothorn or Scizor before. NOW, however, Ferrothorn's job is just that much harder, as is Mega Scizor's, as what would have been a perfectly safe switch in now has the potential to OHKO/2HKO each of them. Do not have any qualms about losing Leech Seed, as 5 out of 6 team members have reliable recovery, and for the one that does not, you have a wish passer. Speaking of the one that does not, on to Heatran:

Heatran @ Air Balloon Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD --> 248 HP / 220 SDef / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon --> Protect
- Lava Plume
- Taunt --> Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Flash Cannon is kind of a waste on Tran, as this is a defensive set and Steel is not the best offensive typing as far as coverage goes. Anyway, Protect takes its place to let you get an extra turn for Lefties recovery as well as Toxic stalling, which took the place of Taunt as this Heatran set is not fast enough to make good use of it. EVs give you a Stealth Rock HP number as well as Leftovers recovery number. 40 speed EVs to outspeed max-speed Adamant Azumarill, rest in SDef for bulk. Moving on:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe --> 244 HP / 188 SDef / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
-Earthquake
-Knock Off
-Ice Fang --> Taunt
-Roost

Ice Fang doesn't really offer much in the realm of coverage. Or power, for that matter. Plus, Taunt greatly helps you deal with opposing stall, and assists in letting Gastro set up against mons like Skarmory and Rotom-W. Forgot the actual reason for the different spread, but it puts you in a more advantageous speed tier (if I remember the specific threats, I will come back to this and add them it.) Next:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe --> 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-U-Turn --> Defog

The EVs currently on here are a bit outdated. Mega Pinsir isn't as much of a threat as it once was, and this team doesn't have a huge Pinsir weakness anyway, so the extra Defense buff is much appreciated, and the power drop is trivial. Defog is a must for stall teams, and it is so on this one. I refrained from changing Zapdos, but if you continue to struggle with Mega Venusaur (which I know this team will have some trouble with), I would strongly consider changing to Skarmory.

That's about all I have to say, good luck with the team! Here's an importable with the made changes:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 188 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Last edited:
Aight so you got yourself a pretty nice concept of teambuilding, but there's some definite room for improvement. I'll try not to drift too far from your intentions, but fortunately you're off to a pretty good start so hopefully not much will need to be done.

First thing's first, let's address the team's strengths and weaknesses. Strengths would be you handle most physical attackers such as Zard X, Azumarill, and Bisharp very well. Weaknesses would be against opposing stall (specifically Chansey) and strong special attackers (such as Lando-I, Keldeo, and Greninja), with the largest weakness of all being CroCune, which can easily find spots to set up and proceed to 6-0 your entire team. The strengths don't need to be touched on, so let's begin with patching up the weaknesses, starting with these two:

So, clearly, Quagsire is your bulky water/Unaware user, and Sylveon is your cleric/fairy type. I agree, this team does need a bulky water, a cleric, and an Unaware user. However, due to your CroCune weakness, Quagsire is not really suited to your team as the ideal Unaware mon, however, with Quag gone you lose Unaware entirely. The solution to this entire dilemma? Unaware Clefable!

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Unaware Clef would do so much good for this team as a whole. The EVs guarantee it cannot be 2HKOd by LO Greninja's Scald after SR, Scarf Garchomp's EQ after SR, or Belly Drum Azumarill's Waterfall after SR. The HP EVs give Clefable an odd HP number, letting it switch in to Stealth Rock slightly better. Not a big difference, but hey, every bit helps.

Now, on to Quagsire. Clefable, with her higher SDef and access to Heal Bell, handles CroCune much better than Quag, but nonetheless, with Pressure, Suicune is more than capable of out-stalling Clef. Additionally, with the loss of Quagsire, Mega Charizard-X becomes more threatening, as (bar Heatran) the rest of the team has no solid answers to the Dragon Dance set. To top it all off, the team STILL has no way of getting past Specs Keldeo, possible the biggest threat of them all. Fortunately, there exists a oft-forgotten pokemon out there that can simultaneously handle CroCune, Zard-X, and Keldeo with ease. What is this miracle pokemon, you ask? None other than the Lord of all Sea Slugs himself:

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

With Storm Drain, Suicune literally cannot touch Gastrodon. Choice Specs/Scarf Keldeo and CB Azumarill have to play carefully around Gastro lest they inadvertently give the Don a free SAtk boost, and, after a single Curse boost, Choice Specs Sacred Sword cannot even 4HKO Gastrodon, who can then proceed to set up all over the place. Same story for Zard-X, whom Gastrodon can set up on and KO with barely a scratch. EVs capitalize upon making Gastrodon as physically bulky as possible to take on the strongest physical attackers OU has to offer. Just watch out for grass types.

So, now the team should look like this:

That's a pretty good looking lineup. We may come back to this, but for now, let's move on to the details. Changes to sets will be made with slashmarks, with the new implemented in bold. Let's start with Mega Venusaur:

Venusaur-M @ Venusaurite
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Leech Seed --> Hidden Power [Fire]

The EVs were wonky before, you were missing 12 from HP. Likely an accident, but pointing it out in case you may have missed it. Moving on.

Now, you may think to yourself that you do not have a problem with Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor due to Heatran and Zapdos. And on paper, you don't, HOWEVER, in practice, Ferrothorn can always come in on Gastrodon or Venusaur, set up Leech Seed/Rocks, and switch out. Mega Venusaur could not touch Ferrothorn or Scizor before. NOW, however, Ferrothorn's job is just that much harder, as is Mega Scizor's, as what would have been a perfectly safe switch in now has the potential to OHKO/2HKO each of them. Do not have any qualms about losing Leech Seed, as 5 out of 6 team members have reliable recovery, and for the one that does not, you have a wish passer. Speaking of the one that does not, on to Heatran:

Heatran @ Air Balloon Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD --> 248 HP / 220 SDef / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Flash Cannon --> Protect
- Lava Plume
- Taunt --> Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Flash Cannon is kind of a waste on Tran, as this is a defensive set and Steel is not the best offensive typing as far as coverage goes. Anyway, Protect takes its place to let you get an extra turn for Lefties recovery as well as Toxic stalling, which took the place of Taunt as this Heatran set is not fast enough to make good use of it. EVs give you a Stealth Rock HP number as well as Leftovers recovery number. 40 speed EVs to outspeed max-speed Adamant Azumarill, rest in SDef for bulk. Moving on:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SpD / 72 Spe --> 244 HP / 188 SDef / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
-Earthquake
-Knock Off
-Ice Fang --> Taunt
-Roost

Ice Fang doesn't really offer much in the realm of coverage. Or power, for that matter. Plus, Taunt greatly helps you deal with opposing stall, and assists in letting Gastro set up against mons like Skarmory and Rotom-W. Forgot the actual reason for the different spread, but it puts you in a more advantageous speed tier (if I remember the specific threats, I will come back to this and add them it.) Next:

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe --> 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Heat Wave
-Roost
-U-Turn --> Defog

The EVs currently on here are a bit outdated. Mega Pinsir isn't as much of a threat as it once was, and this team doesn't have a huge Pinsir weakness anyway, so the extra Defense buff is much appreciated, and the power drop is trivial. Defog is a must for stall teams, and it is so on this one. I refrained from changing Zapdos, but if you continue to struggle with Mega Venusaur (which I know this team will have some trouble with), I would strongly consider changing to Skarmory.

That's about all I have to say, good luck with the team! Here's an importable with the made changes:

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 220 SpD / 40 Spe
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Recover

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 188 SpD / 76 Spe
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

Clefable @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
I've been trying this out, and it has been working awesomely. Might take your advice and change to Skarmory because I have noticed a big weakness if they have a m-venusaur. Thank you for the help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)