Other RMT: Dragon Mono

I need help. Serious help. I'm new to the mono scene, and trying out a dragon team (it is, after all, in my name :D) but I suck at life and need lots of help.

Here's the awful team:

Chompette (Garchomp) (F) @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Rough Skin

EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Stealth Rock

- Dragon Claw

- Earthquake

- Dragon Tail

She’s my lead hazarder, I start with her, Stealth Rock, and go to town with D Tail. She can do a bunch of damage to the opponent's team early on, making it easier for my sweepers to mop-up.

Heil (Hydreigon) (M) @ Life Orb

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 28 Def / 252 SpA / 28 SpD / 200 Spe

Timid Nature

- Dark Pulse

- Draco Meteor

- Flamethrower

- U-Turn

Standard special sweeper. Dark Pulse or coverage and STAB, Draco Meteor for murdering. Flame Thrower for steels and ice types, U-Turn for physical coverage and easy switch-outs.

Demon (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry

Ability: Multiscale

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Sp D / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature

- Dragon Claw

- Dragon Dance

- Earthquake

- Extreme Speed

Standard DDance Dragonite, Sets up with DDance, then has D Claw for accurate STAB, EQ for coverage, and Extreme Speed for much needed priority and revenge killing.

Dragalge @ White Herb

Ability: Adaptability

EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature

- Sludge Wave

- Draco Meteor

- Focus Blast

- Hidden Power [Fire]

Here is a Dragalge for fairy help. Sludge Wave kills fairies and is general STAB, Draco Meteor is another extremely deadly STAB, and can be used twice with maximum power. Terrifying. Focus Blast murders steels and other things that resist his STABs, and HP Fire is good coverage.

Latia (Latias) @ Latiasite

EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Psychic

- Defog

- Thunder Wave

- Roost

Nice bulky support, stays alive with Roost and clears hazards with Defog. Cripples everything with T Wave and uses Psychic to hurt things.

BamSlammer (Kyurem-Black) @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Teravolt

EVs: 252 Atk / 28 Sp Atk / 4 SpD / 224 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Outrage

- Ice Beam

- Fusion Bolt

- Iron Head

This guy can wreck. He is my fast physical coverage sweeper, and can hit pretty much anything hard. He is also my last line of defense against fairies, so there’s that. Outrage is standard powerful STAB, hits everything really hard (except 4x defense Furfrou). Fusion Bolt is a move I’m really open to change, and its basically just coverage. Iron Head is my fairy killer, may all Sylveons trembled before its wrath! Ice beam murders flying types.

Last edited:
Dragalge is one of the only poison, dragon pokemon and fairies are a threat.
Kingdra with scope lens, focus energy and sniper can dish out crazy damage.
I don't play dragon mono, so don't ask me about builds -_-

Alright, here're some changes so listen up.

First off:
Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Rest

This set works a lot better vs physical attackers. Fire Blast hits Skarmory and Ferrothorn hard while EQ is STAB. Rest can be pretty situational but trust me, if you can get it off vs physical attackers, it works well w/ Rocky Helm and Rough Skin.

I'm fine with the Hydreigon set but I'd replace Focus Blast with either U-Turn or Superpower because mixed Hydreigon is a beast.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry / Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw / Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

DD + 3 Attacks works a lot better than Roost. Dragon Claw > Dragon Rush because the accuracy is much better at the cost of a bit of power. Outrage can work too but I prefer Dragon Claw on DD sets.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

AV Goodra is your best bet vs Mega Gardevoir. Even besides that, an AV over 150 base spdef is insane. This thing eats up pretty much every special hit and has extremely good coverage to make use of its excellent special attack. Draco Meteor is STAB, the rest is pretty much random coverage.

Now for Noivern, I'd suggest dropping it for Latias.
Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Healing Wish

Latias provides better support between Defog and Healing Wsh. Max speed lets it hit 350 which is a pretty nice speed tier. Besides that, Latias hits hard w/ Draco Meteor and its nice support for the team to rely on.

As for the Kyu-B, I suggest replacing Stone Edge for Ice beam to murder flying have a STAB ice attack. Besides that the set seems fine w/ these EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe and Naughty Nature.

Twix

jicama
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well this is my second time making this rate since my computer crashed in the middle, but I'm going to build off of B33's suggestions. First off, I'm going to tweak the Garchomp set he gave you to this:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail / Roar / Dragon Claw

This spread allows Garchomp to outpace Jolly Bisharp and Breloom, and either get damage off against them or set up Stealth Rock. Rest isn't really reliable either.

After doing this, the Latias spread he suggested needs a bit of work as well, and should look like this:

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor / Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

This spread allows Latias to live two Hidden Power Ices from Thundurus. Thunderbolt is an option over Draco Meteor to help take on Azumarill, as you don't really have much to take it on well.

I agree with what B33 said about Dragonite and Hydregion, but you could make the former a Choice Band set and the latter have Iron Tail to surprise Fairy-types.

After this, I'd really suggest changing Goodra to Dragalge, as it can help you take on Fairies easier, bar Mega Gardevoir, and overall helps your team out more.

Dragalge @ Draco Plate
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 228 HP / 252 SpA / 28 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Toxic Spikes

Dragalge can help a lot against Steel Monotypes with a combination of Focus Blast and Hidden Power Fire, although it can help weaken bulkier builds such as Stall Normal with Toxic Spikes.

Finally, I suggest Ice Beam > Stone Edge on Kyurem-Black as it generally helps more against Flying-types, and works well with Fusion Bolt. If this change is made, the spread should become 252 Atk / 32 SpA / 224 Spe with a Naive nature.

tl;dr:
new spreads
>

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, I'll leave a rate. I'm probably going to overlap a bit with b33 and twix though.

1) On the Garchomp they suggested I'd definitely recommend Dragon Tail as that last move slot. Garchomp is excellent at walling stuff, and shuffling the team while dealing STAB damage as well as passive rocks damage is great, as is phazing set up sweepers. Roar could be nice for fairies, but there aren't many fairies that don't just stay in and KO chomp anyways, and because this is mono they are unlikely to have a fairy type on most teams.

2) I disagree with Twix suggesting Choice Band Dnite, Lum Berry dd is a lot better imo. Outrage is my personal preferred move, because in mono teams won't often have a switchin, but it is up to you.

3) This one is going in a different direction than them. I'd recommend Latios > Goodra. Latios is extremely proficient at 6-0ing fighting on its own, and without it fighting generally has the upper hand. It is also good against a ton of team archetypes.
Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Draco Meteor is stab and lets scarf latios destroy dragon monos as well. Psyshock because nothing on fighting reliably switches in. HP Fire to hit steels. Trick to cripple walls, because FUCK Doublade and FUCK Chansey for example. Not much to say, this set has no innovation.

4) At this point, again this is a different direction, but instead of Latias > Noivern like they said I suggest Latias Mega > Noivern.
Latias (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Defog
- Thunder Wave / Roar / Reflect Type
- Roost

This provides a VERY bulky support mon, twave for speed control which is good in mono because clerics are relatively rare, and roar for phazing. Reflect Type is also an option instead of twave/roar if you want to play mindgames, and lets Latias-Mega give HUGE momentum against dark but at that point you should replace Psychic with either Dragon Pulse or HP Fire or something to hit dark types. 192 EVs let Latias outspeed all base 100s.

That's all I have for you, they covered everything else. Good luck with your team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)