Other RMT Dragon Monotype

Choice Tyrantrum or Choice Dragonite

• Tyrantrum

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So, I have been playing a lot of mono type lately, and have decided to try and perfect my mono dragon team. I feel like the team is missing something, so im posting it for help...

Thresher (Garchomp) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 12 HP / 246 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

1st, I had TankChomp but I had to defog away my rocks several times and just gave up on them. I noticed how much trouble I was having with status so I decided to get this guy. He occasionally sweeps at plus one speed and plus two attack. (salac berry plus 1 speed at 25% or less) the twelve hp evs are so chomp gets the speed boost after 3 subs.

So the idea here is to put him out on someone who commonly does status (rotom) substitute and swords dance. Also good for wearing down ppl for other dragons to finish.

Grimlock (Tyrantrum) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Outrage
- Earthquake

The local nuke. Literally Head Smash+filler. Hits stupidly hard, and take a hit or two (physical only). So, I use it as a wallbreaker. Considering swapping out for Dragonite w/Band, simply because Dragonite is more reliable Head Smash has 80% hit rate. However, thats more of a sweeper stoper

Smaug (Salamence) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

yep, scarfed moxiemance. Revenge killer/sweeper. I pick the safest move, and let the carnage commence. Not much else to be said. Gachomp and the next guy u usually weaken someone for him to come in

John 117 (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Serious Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Iron Head

I am kinda undecided on what to run on this beast. He could go special or physical. Right now he just hits ppl hard. A friend of mine that runs dragon mono recommends at least 180spe so that's why the speed investment is there.

Blue (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Memento
- Defog

So, with both Kyruem and Salamance being weak to rocks, and that rocks are super annoying in general, I decided to get latios to defog. Why not latias the bulky one? Well latias doesnt get momento. Ideally, this guy comes in, gets rid of hazards, gets off a draco meteor, and memento's away

Red & Purple (Latias) (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Lastly, my mega. Sadly, Sceptile, Charizard and Amphoros <-(misspelled) aren't allowed because their base forms aren't mega. To top it off Garchomp isn't ideal imo and I don't like mega altaria The idea here is to set up on someone who cant do to much damage (and dont toxic/burn) and wreck stuff.

The biggest problem I have with this Team is Fairies and Steels. namely Klefki, Togekiss, and Mega Altaria. Status is also a huge issue, as burns cripple most the team (Sableye). Sadly the only dragon heal bellers are Altaria and Dragonite. Other dragons usually give me trouble too, especially scarfs. Ive been considering bulky Mega Garchomp.(252hp 252 att)

Attachments

Last edited:

Grand Salad God

Banned deucer.
Hey! I made a dragon Mono team too!

I'll rate your team as follows:

Garchomp: Pretty good, though I don't have expertise in Sub-Setup Tactics, so yeah.
Tyrantrum: As a band User, Dragonite is way better as it has a better ability, better attack and better speed, plus a priority attack. You do miss out on 150 STAB, but a) it's inaccurate and b) too much recoil. Use this if using Banded Dragonite:

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Salamence: Fire Fang is too weak IMO. I'd change Mence to Naive nature, put the remaining 4 EVs into SpA and run Fire Blast over the weaker Fire Fang. Otherwise good.
Kyurem-B: Ummm...what? What's the point of this guy? You said it was to hit people hard - Why not use a Life Orb on him then? Kyu easily reks stuff with a LO, paving the way to sweep. You may find these better...

Physical:
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 56 SpA / 200 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Dragon Claw/Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Iron Head

Special:
Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost/Outrage

Latios: Dragon actually doesn't need to have hazard clearing to be good, but Memento? Loads of people will just switch out and honestly, against all 3 threats you listed one boost won't be enough to break them. Use Roost or HP fire for more effectiveness, I'd say.
Latias: Yeah, this is good.

Hello so i see you made a mono dragon team

I'll Rate your team as i go through it.

First of all like Salad God said Fire Fang is weak and also like he said make it Naive and add Fire Blast on the Salamence.

Also, the Kyurem is better off not being a serious nature as it is like the worst nature you could possibly have so i would either change it for a Mild Nature is you are going for a mixed set or if you're running physical i would recommend probably a lonely nature so you can run Ice Beam.

Latios is terrible with Memento due to it only being able to be used once and people can just easily switch out. And also like salad god mentioned against all 3 threats you listed won't be enough to break them. To be absolute honest i would use this set im listing below.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Defog

That set would work perfectly fine on a mono dragon team.

That's all from me

DEG

we tangle endlessly
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey mate nice team there, few suggestions.
I suggested running Stealth Rock & Poison Jab/Iron Head/Stone Edge/Fire Blast over Sub and Sword dance on Garchomp for it to hit other threats with Focus Sash or Rocky Helmet. Poison Jab and Iron Head allows it to cover its fairy weakness, stone edge is a way to hit ice types specially articuno which gives trouble to dragons, and Fire Blast is able to hit Steel types, giving you excellent coverage against steel in Earthquake and FireBlast.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Poison Jab

Dragonite is one of the best Banded user on dragon, as your poll suggests running Dragonite over Tyrantrum is better suggested thanks to it's better move pool and coverage, Dragonite finds itself securing a spot on most Dragon Monos, moves include such as Dragon Claw/Outrage depends on how much you wish to hit hard (not a good idea to get locked in outrage :p), Earthquake/Fire Punch both can cover the weakness against steel but running Fire Punch is a better choice overall you can run both or replace one with Iron Head. Last but not least, Extreme speed accompanied with Choice Band can hit hard with priority.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Claw
- ExtremeSpeed

I'd suggest replacing your mega by Mega Altaria, amazing Pokemon in the Monotype metagame, it is able to single hand many types such as dark, electric, dragons with one or two Dragon dance, great typing accompanied with an amazing ability it is being able to take down foes thanks to Fairy-Frustration, Earthquake, Roost and Dragon Dance, moves are self-explanatory, if you wish you can run Heal Bell somewhere on M-Altaria.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Roost

And I agree with the above to change Kyurem-B item to Life Orb.

Yo! I'm a Dragon Monotype user as well, so when I saw this, I knew that I'd have to give you a rate.

Thresher (Garchomp) @ Salac Berry
EVs: 12 HP / 246 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Swords Dance

This is an interesting, but reasonably solid Garchomp set. I like where you're going with the Salac Berry, its great innovative thinking. The only thing that I don't like here is the use of substitute-I don't see the point of running substitute on what should be, and is built like, a sweeper. I personally recommend running Iron Tail over Substitute, just in case you run up against a fairy type (Gardevoir, Clefable, etc). I also believe that Dragon Rush works better than Dragon Tail, but that isn't a glaring issue.

Grimlock (Tyrantrum) @ Choice Band
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Outrage
- Earthquake

Tyrantrum. Wat. I'm sorry, but I cannot understand how Tyrantrum is a good mon. Its Rock typing means that it is easily KOed by so many mons, and due to Tyrantrum's low speed stat other mons only have to take 0-1 hits to do this. I have no recommendations to make this better other than pick another Dragon type.

Smaug (Salamence) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Fire Fang
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Salamence is not a good mon, but if you like it, I can try to work with it. You've hit the nail on the head with the choice scarf and the speed EVs, which will hopefully allow you to hit first with it. Your offensive set is pretty great, but due to the Choice Scarf it makes switching into it predictable and easy. As such, moxie is really wasted, as even 1.5 times attack wont go through a resistance. Once this happens, you either switch out or choke. As a result, I would suggest carefully scoping the opponent's team, to try to use a move that has good hits on every member. As to the moves, keep EQ, drop DC for Thrash, drop FF for Stone Edge. That's all I can do, and I recommend replacing this for another mon.

John 117 (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Serious Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost
- Iron Head

Kyurem-Black is OK to use if you do it right. Run a physical set, because Freeze Shock and the rest requires charge and looses big-time in the accuracy sector. As a result, I suggest your move set to be Fusion Bolt, Outrage, Iron Head and Giga Impact. Instead of Leftovers, just roll with the typical choice band-there's a reason why its so common. If you do this, you'll end up with a solid mon! (Hopefully)

Blue (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Memento
- Defog

Great set. I've got nothing to say.

Red & Purple (Latias) (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

No. Usually I'd like this, but in this instance, don't blow you Mega on an aeroplane. YOur team is weak to one thing-A faster Dragon mono. All you need is a choice scarf Latios or Garchomp and you're done. Here you need a Fairy-the only fairy dragon, Altaria-Mega. I KNOW that you said you didn't like it, but if you don't do it, you will lose out. As for a set for this, just look on the strat dex or message me, as Altaria-Mega is a tough mon to play with.

Well, all in all, well done! Hope you find this rate useful!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)