ORAS OU RMT Excadrill Sand Offense (Mega sold seperately)

Do you like Mega Evolution?

• Total voters
Hello, Wolf Here and today, I present an older team i made in my earlier days in showdown, a Mega-less Sand Team. Keep in mind, that this team is fairly old, and while it functions fairly well, it is not with it's fair share of flaws. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy my horrible teambuilding.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Ability: Sand Rush
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

While this Pokemon was originally a Mega Chomp, it was replaced by this wonderful Excadrill. Excadrill is a well known pokemon, particularly for being placed in Ubers during the Great Weather Wars of Gen V. Hitting an astronomical 550 Speed in Sand, Excadrill tops the OU Meta, outpacing everything minus priority. Earthquake is his main STAB, dealing a good amount of damage to most mons. Iron Head is second STAB, making him one of my Fairy checks, and can hit things that resist EQ(the flinch chance doesn't hurt either). Rock Slide is deal with Pokemon that resist both stab, like Talonflame, Zapdos and Mega Zard Y. Air Balloon is to give him free switch ins and EQ immunity, so he can start sweeping easier.

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 80 Def / 20 SpA / 140 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast

Easily one of the most important parts of my team, and my only Mega compatible Pokemon on the Team, T-Tar serves my Sand Setter and a Mixed Wall. Smooth Rock is to extend the time of Sand, allowing Excadrill to sweep longer and to cause more carnage. Stealth Rock is to set up hazards and is used on predicted switches. Stone Edge is main STAB and is used to deal substantial damage to most mons. Pursuit allows him to pursuit trap a number of different threats like the Lati Twins, Starmie and Gengar. Fire Blast is for Steel type switch ins, like Skarmory.

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon

Realizing how many special sweepers my team was weak to, i added Empoleon to act as my special wall. With Defiant, he stops common Defogs and can just help giving him that little bit of extra power. Scald is spammable STAB, dealing a good bit of damage and softening the blows from physical attackers. Toxic is basic, making it so sweepers are put on a timer. Stealth Rock is so i have another Rock setter and gives me something to do when i am toxic stalling. Flash Cannon is second stab and gives me something to hit Fairies with.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

While i was trying to originally trying to do some stuff with Sand Veil, i just switched him over to a Toxic Heal Wallbreaker. Toxic is to stop sweepers and Toxic stall. EQ is main STAB, dealing good damage. Knock Off is to break item heavy Pokemon, like Chansey and Choice users. Rock Slide is for Flying types and Ice types.

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

Toxicroak serves as my main man for dealing with opposing weather and Grass types. Dry Skin allows him to switch into Water moves for free and heal back LO recoil. Gunk Shot is his main STAB, hitting hard with a high poison chance. Drain Punch is second STAB, allowing him to heal back damage and fight his Steel switch ins. Sucker Punch is much needed priority to cover his mediocre speed stat and psychic type weakness. Ice Punch rounds out the set, allowing him to hit grass types that resist Gunk Shot, like Amoonguss.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tangrowth finishes the team, acting as my bulky pivot. Regenerator allows him to take damage and heal it back when he switches out. Leaf Storm is good STAB allowing him to take out weakened enemies and deal a fair amount of damage to other mons. Knock Off is to give him utility and is a good move to spam. Earthquake is for coverage, taking out Fire Types like Heatran. HP fire is more coverage, for Steel types like Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Thanks in Advance for your Rates

Last edited:
I like the team, though I think in the metagame unless you're playing on the no-mega ladder (which is no longer on Pokemon Showdown) going without a mega and having success is nearly impossible. In no mega-this team would be perfectly fine, though Weavile would still be an issue as well as dash dance Gyarados. In no mega I would suggest changing out Empoleon as you don't need two rockers and Empoleon's typing stacks weaknesses to fighting and ground types without checking grasses. Clefable would be a possible replacement as it helps check Weavile, Kyurem-B, and adds a fighting resistance. It also provides a soft Keldeo check. I feel this is the single biggest change you can make without dramatically altering the structure of the team or adding a mega evolution.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Soft-Boiled
- Flamethrower/Thunder Wave

Flamethrower is a great option I think for luring and eliminating steels though thunder wave is a great option as your team overall is very slow.

Another thing I think would be very helpful is changing your Gliscor spread. By running clef you become very weak to Gengar. Adamant is also not a great nature for Gliscor.
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 8 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Knock Off
- Roost

This is the standard Dex spread for Gliscor though 72 speed with 192 SpD and 0 Defense is also good. This spread will replace some of the bulk lost with running Clefable. Rock slide is nice because it single-handily breaks Shed Stall but I can understand if you like Knock Off better.

Assault vest Tangrowth is an interesting option but ultimately I find it doesn't achieve its purpose on this team. It doesn't check Azumarill, Bisharp and physical attackers reliably and there are better ways Amoongus is certainly an option but having two poison types isn't reliable (and I like Toxicroak) so instead I'm going to make a suggestion of Celebi.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 84 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Recover
- Swords Dance

This is a decent Keldeo switch in and can take every move from Azumarill besides play rough and is overall pretty cool. Wasn't sure on what set to choose but passing sowrds dance boosts to Excadrill seemed cool.

Now if you want to run a mega evolution Mega Scizor is the best choice no doubt. It provides a perfect replacement for Empoleon and provides wonderful role compression with the rest of your pokemon including a Mega Lopunny, Mega Metagross, Mega Diancie, and Azumarill check.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Knock Off

Now obviously with Mega Scizor Clef isn't needed as Weavile is also checked reliably. Gliscor's spread should still be changed (and rock slide SD works really well with knock of Mega Scizor) in this scenario as well. Now for the last Pokemon: With Mega Scizor I don't think Celebi or Tangrowth work well primarily because Mega Medicham is an issue and a pokemon that can do the incredibly difficult task of checking both Keldeo and Mega Medicham is needed here. For this lord Slowbro is needed. Slowbro also provides a nice check to opposing Excadrill as well as Talonflame.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Unfortunately some people have started running thunder punch on Medicham to lure Slowbro but overall I think this is a good fit for the team. Plus Thunder Wave is a huge help because the team overall is very slow.

Another option but not mandatory is to run Swords Dance on Excadrill over Rapid Spin as is common on Air Balloon sets though I think your set is fine otherwise and is not a mandatory change. Good luck with the team! I've made a number of no mega sand teams and have made many teams without megas in the past. Otherwise just use Mega Scizor lol. Anyways here is an importable of a similar team that I made for a metagame without megas that shares a lot of ideas with this one: http://pastebin.com/1jrkyfye

RonaldMcdonald, Thank you for your many suggestions, so i may think about implementing some of the changes going forward. Keep in mind that i never planned to make this 1900 ranking team, it is just for fun. I love no Mega teams, but i understand their viability is long gone. I posted this to show it off. Anyhoo, time to analyze the changes

Clefable: This fairy is probably going to be implemented for it's sheer cold utility, it is one of the only pokemon that is not rock, steel or ground not hurt by sand, and it can act as a status absorber. P.S : i am going for flamethrower because it covers my steel weakness better.

Gliscor: It was inevitable, his set was kind of bad and i don't know why i didn't change it earlier. I will probably run Knock Off to give him a little more utility and to combat Gengar.

Celebi: I am going to go ahead and replace tangrowth with Celebi because it is just better. Better typing, ability and stats, it just makes sense. I will have to figure out what kind of set to run.

Scizor: As it is my goal to keep this team as mega free as possible, Mega Scizor is not an option. It also takes away the whole "sand team" thing so that is no good either.

Slowbro: Because i am not running Mega Scizor, and i have Celebi replacing tangrowth, it just doesn't make sense for me to use him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)