ORAS OU RMT: Why be a king when you can be a God? (MegaMence Team)

The Team

Hey smogon! I've been working on building a team to make IRL since the release of ORAS. My XY teams where always centered around MegaZard-Y but with the addition of Mega Salamence and Gunk Shot Greninja to the meta, I had to get in on some of the action before they get banned from OU. The three Pokemon I do wish to replace are Mega Salamence, Magnezone, and Greninja. They just work so well together. I am open to to other mons for the other 3 slots though. Suggestions on all the movesets are welcome and encouraged. Anyways on to the team

Team Details

Salamence aka Odin @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 56 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Frustration
- Roost

A friend recommended this set and jesus... it just wrecks. Dragon Dance allows Mega Salamence to sweep entire teams after a single boost, and finds plenty of setup chances thanks to Intimidate and great overall bulk. The EV spread allows it to maintain its sub after tanking a Volt Switch from a non-offensive Rotom-W. That's a lot in itself as Rotom-W really can't touch it and it can set up to +6 on it all day. I chose Frustration over Return because Ditto is a thing. Roost enhances Mega Salamence's survivability and lets it take advantage of its great bulk and somewhat offset the Stealth Rock weakness.

Magnezone aka Thor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

The main goal of this set is to trap and eliminate opposing Steel-types that are causing trouble by walling its teammates. Choice Scarf allows Magnezone to surprise the opponent potentially, as its otherwise quite slow, and be a great cleaner late-game with STAB moves off its enormous base 130 Special Attack. It can also serve as a decent revenge killer to some Pokemons such as Mega Pinsir, Thundurus, and Talonflame. Maximum Special Attack investment is used to make the most of Magnezone's great base 130 Special Attack. Maximum Speed EVs with a boosting nature and a Choice Scarf allow Magnezone to outspeed everything slower than Thundurus, which is the majority of the unboosted tier. It also outspeeds non-Jolly Talonflame, which makes Magnezone a good check to teams that are centered around Flying-types. Volt Switch is a useful source of momentum for Magnezone, especially with a Choice Scarf. Hidden Power Fire is used in the second slot to 2HKO both Ferrothorn and Scizor, which Magnezone can trap with Magnet Pull and eliminate for its teammates. Flash Cannon serves as a consistent secondary STAB move that is useful for hitting Fairy-types super effectively and providing neutral coverage on Ground- and Dragon- types, which otherwise give Magnezone a hard time. Finally, Thunderbolt is used in the last slot for stronger Electric-type STAB.

Greninja aka Loki @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot

Greninja is an absolute monster in this meta. It really doesn't have any true counters, as it is so versatile. 40 Atk is to OHKO Azumarill with Gunk Shot, 216 SpA is to beef up Dark Pulse and Ice beam, and 252 Spe for speed-ties. Low Kick helps me deal with Ferrothorn, opposing Greninjas, Non-Choice Scarfed Tyranitars, and Heatrans. I honestly don't miss Hydro Pumps accuracy. Ice beam for all those pesky Grass and dragon types. Dark Pulse keeps Psychic and Posion types at bay. Gunk Shot is for the fairies (this move completely wrecks Clefable, Sylveon, Azumaril)

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Protect

Leech Seed gives Ferrothorn a way recovering health and is a must on every Ferrothorn set, as it lacks reliable recovery. The damage Leech Seed does is also useful for chipping away at the opponent's health. Gyro Ball is Ferrothorn's primary choice for an attacking move, as it OHKOes Mega Gardevoir, and does significant damage to many fast Pokemon such as Latios, Latias, Landorus, and Fairy-types such as Clefable and Sylveon. Protect in tandem with Leech Seed grants Ferrothorn even more recovery and can scout the opponent's next move. Ferrothorn desperately needs all recovery it can get, so to make up for the loss of recovery from Leftovers, running Protect to gain more recovery from Leech Seed is the smart choice. Thunder Wave gives Ferrothorn the ability to cripple common switch-ins such as Mega Charizard X, Mega Charizard Y, and Heatran.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- De fog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Due to having good bulk, a good set of resistances, and above-average offensive presence, Latias is one of the best offensive Defog users in the metagame. While Latios has even more offensive presence than Latias, Latias has higher bulk and thus the ability to come in safely on more threats than Latios, making it a more consistent Defog user. Draco Meteor is Latias's primary STAB attack, and is a great nuke capable of OHKOing many offensive threats, including Landorus, Keldeo, and Thundurus. Psyshock serves as a secondary STAB attack, hitting Mega Venusaur and Fighting-types such as Conkeldurr, Terrakion, and Breloom for super effective damage. Healing Wish gives Greninja or Mega Salamence a second wind.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Thanks to Der Twist for the set. As a Pokemon with naturally immense bulk that forces many switches, Rhyperior is a prime user of Stealth Rock, usually having an easy time setting up while also deterring Excadrill, Zapdos, and Mandibuzz from switching in and potentially removing the entry hazard. Earthquake is a reliable and strong Ground-type STAB, and together with Rhyperior's Rock-type STAB. Stone Edge is consistently strong but can be prone to accuracy issues. In the last slot, Ice Punch is useful for hitting Garchomp and Dragonite, and letting Rhyperior check both of them well.

Threat list
No idea... Haven't ventured into these dark waters yet...

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 248 HP / 152 Atk / 56 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Frustration
- Roost

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 34 Atk / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Last edited:
Reactions: TLS
Choice scarf Heatran is not common. I would suggest using a defensive set that consists of Protect, Toxic, Magma Storm, and Substitute. Item is an Air Balloon.

Choice Scarfed is acceptable enough now with the rise of Megagross. I see little other reason to Scarf him but it's definitely not out of reason. I question your Greninja set though. Spikes isn't great, it wastes Greninjas niche as a coverage machine just to set up mediocre entry hazards and gain Electric immunity for one turn. See what your team struggles with and patch it in with coverage for it, maybe Low Kick too.

Yeah dont be that cautious. Most people dont care weather or not the accuracy is great. Gunk Shots accuracy is already decent, but its your team so its your decision

Choice Scarfed is acceptable enough now with the rise of Megagross. I see little other reason to Scarf him but it's definitely not out of reason.
Even though it might give Heatran speed using the Choice Scarf, but Metagross will still outspeed and sweep Heatran with 1 blow. That is why i recommended my moveset. But I can see why you thought I was mistaken.

Choice scarf Heatran is not common. I would suggest using a defensive set that consists of Protect, Toxic, Magma Storm, and Substitute. Item is an Air Balloon.
What would the EV spread look like for this set?

Choice Scarfed is acceptable enough now with the rise of Megagross. I see little other reason to Scarf him but it's definitely not out of reason. I question your Greninja set though. Spikes isn't great, it wastes Greninjas niche as a coverage machine just to set up mediocre entry hazards and gain Electric immunity for one turn. See what your team struggles with and patch it in with coverage for it, maybe Low Kick too.
Should I go back to a more standard set on Greninja? I can see how Low Kick seems redundant because of Magnezone already traps Ferrothorn. I don't think Dark pulse warrants a spot because I already have Mandibuzz. So I guess Hydro pump and U-Turn? Would happen to know what EV spread I should be using?

Greninja @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
EVs: ? Atk / ? SpA / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot

Even though it might give Heatran speed using the Choice Scarf, but Metagross will still outspeed and sweep Heatran with 1 blow. That is why i recommended my moveset. But I can see why you thought I was mistaken.
I was never disputing your statement, I was just speaking generally. Scarfed Heatran would outspeed and does hit it where it hurts quite hard. Hammer Arm is always there for a Ballooned variant to Heatran is in a bit of trouble either way.
Should I go back to a more standard set on Greninja? I can see how Low Kick seems redundant because of Magnezone already traps Ferrothorn. I don't think Dark pulse warrants a spot because I already have Mandibuzz. So I guess Hydro pump and U-Turn? Would happen to know what EV spread I should be using?

Greninja @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
EVs: ? Atk / ? SpA / 252 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
Yes, this set is much much better. Maybe run Extrasensory on here for Mega Venusaur in place of U-Turn, but then again you do have Azelf (who really should run a STAB move instead of Explosion) for that so this works just fine.

Mega Charizard says GG. Either Megazard can break through your team like a meat cleaver. You have a major Fire weakness, and if Megazard X gets a D-Dance up before your Mence comes out then he can sweep your whole team, and Megazard Y can muscle through everything on your team, barring Mence, and even he can't switch in to take a hit, he can't set up a sub, you have to take it out asap leaving you in a position to be revenged hard if Scarfchomp and/or Greninja is involved. Make sure your team isn't set up with too many things weak to the same thing, because that just leaves you sweep-bait.

looiiyut

GIOVANE AUTISMOTTA
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I've already seen this team but where? mah..
I suggest knock off over endeavor on mamo and hydro pump over low kick on greninja.
Oh wait, this is Aim's team now!

Last edited:
If you want to 0hko Azumarill with Gunk Shot, change it to a Rash nature with an EV Spread of 40 Atk/ 216 Sp Atk/252 Spe
Thank you for the help with the EV spread!

Mega Charizard says GG. Either Megazard can break through your team like a meat cleaver. You have a major Fire weakness, and if Megazard X gets a D-Dance up before your Mence comes out then he can sweep your whole team, and Megazard Y can muscle through everything on your team, barring Mence, and even he can't switch in to take a hit, he can't set up a sub, you have to take it out asap leaving you in a position to be revenged hard if Scarfchomp and/or Greninja is involved. Make sure your team isn't set up with too many things weak to the same thing, because that just leaves you sweep-bait.
Sometimes I find that my weakest link is Mamoswine. In reality all I like him for is for setting up Stealth Rock and the priority Ice Shard for opposing dragons. The only other mons I can think about that fullfill his role of setting up SR is Garchomp (another weakness to fairy...) Landorus (another weakness to ice...). Do you have any suggestions?

You could run Rocks on Ferro if you want, Ferro is a pretty solid lead. From there, you can replace Mamo with something like Terrakion or T-Tar to add some sheer physical muscle; but you are right about Fairies being a problem, half of your team destroys them, the other half gets destroyed by them... Rhyperior, maybe? He's pretty much the anti-Fire machine, and you could slap Rocks on him if you want to leave Ferro as he is. Not going to help much against Megazard Y but he does patch up a general Fire problem without being Fairy bait and isn't a bad option overall. A set like this, maybe:
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock / Toxic
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

You could run Rocks on Ferro if you want, Ferro is a pretty solid lead. From there, you can replace Mamo with something like Terrakion or T-Tar to add some sheer physical muscle; but you are right about Fairies being a problem, half of your team destroys them, the other half gets destroyed by them... Rhyperior, maybe? He's pretty much the anti-Fire machine, and you could slap Rocks on him if you want to leave Ferro as he is. Not going to help much against Megazard Y but he does patch up a general Fire problem without being Fairy bait and isn't a bad option overall. A set like this, maybe:
Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock / Toxic
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
Thanks for the Suggestions. I think I m just going to swap out Mamoswine for Rhyperior for time being as the ladder will upset the team balance too much. Team Building is hard lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)