ORAS OU RMT M-Swampert Rain Offensive

What is your Favorite Type of Weather Team

• Total voters
Ever since Gen 6, the once all-powerful Rain teams have disappeared from the spotlight of OU, to be replace with Bulky Offensive. However, i enjoy weather teams and i like rain in general, so i whipped up a Rain Offensive Team, and it works pretty well. I have defeated a number of teams with it, but it doesn't quite feel right and has some problems. So i came to pose my team on RMT.

Tempest (Politoed) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 164 SpD / 96 Spe
Serious Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Encore
- Toxic
- Scald
- Rest

From Novice to Veteran, it is known that not having a Politoed on your Rain team is the Kiss of Death. He is the only OU legal Pokemon with Drizzle, so he is a must have. He runs a Damp Rock to extend his Rain time and turns till he has to switch in. Encore is to lock opposing set up leads into moves like Stealth Rock. Toxic is to put other Pokemon on a timer. Scald is his main STAB which get boosted by Rain, as well as to place burn to cripple physical sweepers. Rest is for recovery and is great because Politoed is not as affected by sleep because he only has to switch in and out.

POWAH!!!!! (Swampert-Mega) (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Instead of using Swift Sweeper Kabutops, i decided to use the newly added Mega Swampert. He is my main physical sweeper, sweeping most Pokemon. Swift Swim allows him to effectively outspeed any thing that is unboosted in rain, including M-Lopunny and Serperior. Waterfall is his Main STAB, gaining a boost from Rain, so it can almost always OKO anything that doesn't resist. Earthquake is Second STAB to deal with Bulky Steel Types. Ice Punch is to fight Grass Types like Amoonguss. Superpower is to fight anything else.

Butter then Better (Ferrothorn) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is already annoying enough to begin with, but in rain, he becomes even worse because his main weakness' damage in heavily reduced. Rocky Helmet is a must have, stacking with Iron Barbs to punish physical attacker. Leech Seed is used to give Ferrothorn reliable Recovery and damage per turn. Protect is to block any deadly attacks and get a free turn of Leech Seed. Knock Off is to remove items of Checks and Counters, severely crippling them. Power Whip is STAB to deal with people hurting Ferrothorn.

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Kingdra is a pretty standard Rain Team Pokemon. Kingdra uses Swift Swim to outspeed everything unboosted in Rain. He runs Choice Specs to add that extra kick to Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor. Hydro Pump is his main STAB, hitting hard against most Pokemon. Draco Meteor is used to deal with opposing Dragons, and Water Types. Surf is used when you want reliability over the power of Hydro Pump. Ice Beam is used to deal with Bulky Grass types like Celebi.

Gecko (Heliolisk) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Focus Blast
The odd ball of my party, Heliolisk is my main check to Thundurus. He has Dry Skin to make use of the Rain and to Absorb Water Attacks. He runs an Assault Vest to increase his special bulk and tank attacks easier. Thunder is his Main STAB, gaining perfect accuracy in Rain, which hits hard. Volt Switch is so he can act as a pivot and get out of bad situations. Surf is to deal with Ground types that switch into him. Focus Blast is to deal with Steel Types like Ferrothorn that resist everything else and to hit Special walls like Chansey.

BirdSpam (Tornadus-Therian) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower
Tornadus-T rounds out my team as a offensive pivot. His ability, Regenerator, means that he can switch in and out reliably and heal what he lost. He also gains bulk from his Assault Vest, increasing his longevity even further. Hurricane is his Main Stab, gaining 100% accuracy in Rain so he can hit hard with reliability. U-turn is his pivot move, while also forming a Volt-turn Core with Heliolisk. Knock Off is a reliable move to use outside of rain and cripples Pokemon by removing their items. Superpower is mostly coverage but can also hit Pokemon that resist Hurricane.

Thanks in Advance for rating my team

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This looks like a pretty solid rain HO, but I got a few suggestions to try and help you out.

Moveset Changes

Protect--->Stealth Rock: Currently, your team lacks a Stealth Rock user, and Stealth Rocks are really nice because they deter key threats like Talonflame and Mega Pinsir from coming in vs your team and firing off powerful attacks that you frankly can't switch into. Additionally, rocks help break sturdy and sash for opponents and net key KOs for your rain sweepers.

Knock Off--->Gyro Ball: Ferro is your team's fairy type switch in as well as its primary Torn-T check, so running gyro ball over knock off helps you do more to these mons as well as generally being a strong move because of Ferrothorn's low base speed.

Fix the EV spread: Changing your Ferro's EVs to the standard spread let it take on special attackers like the Lati twins a lot easier, so I recommend doing that, especially because it's your only lati switch in.

Rocky Helmet--->Chople Berry: Currently, your team gets absolutely boned by Keldeo and Focus Blast Mega Gardevoir, so chople berry lets ferro eat a fighting move from both of these threats and obliterate them with its respective STAB move.

Assault Vest--->Choice Specs: Since you're running rain, you can't really run hazard control for Life Orb and Assault Vest isn't powerful enough to bust through balance, so I recommend running Choice Specs Torn-T over your current set to do a much better job wallbreaking. Obviously you will have to change up the set with this and I will provide the set at the end of the rate.

Pokemon Changes
--->

Heliolisk is really frail and your team wants mons that have a good MU vs sand and Rotom-W is a really solid pivot that can get in your rain sweepers pretty much for free with slow volt switch. Also, heliolisk kinda invites scarftar to switch in and set up sand vs u, so STAB specs hydro rotom would be nice to hit shit hard in the rain and deter sand setters from coming in vs you.

Overall, this is a p solid rain team, but I suggested a few changes that I thought made the team a bit better. GL with the team :]
Tornadus-Therian @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regenerator
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Focus Blast
- Grass Knot/Hidden Power Ice

Ferrothorn @ Chople Berry
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt

Last edited:
littlelucario thank you for your suggestion, i have already started rearranging ferrothorn's EV's, moves and item around. However, i have purposely kept Rotom-W off my team out of fear of making my weakness to opposing Ferrothorn even worse. Do you have any other ideas for electric types that are not walled by ferrothorn?

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
littlelucario thank you for your suggestion, i have already started rearranging ferrothorn's EV's, moves and item around. However, i have purposely kept Rotom-W off my team out of fear of making my weakness to opposing Ferrothorn even worse. Do you have any other ideas for electric types that are not walled by ferrothorn?
You can also run Life Orb Thundurus with Focus Blast if you feel like the Ferrothorn weakness is really bad.

Here is a set:

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot
- Thunder
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

This set can also be used if you want to be a mixed wallbreaker that lures Chansey as well as the Lati twins:

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 68 Atk / 188 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunder
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Hidden Power Ice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)