RMT- New Kid in Town

Status
Not open for further replies.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
New Pokemon, new team. This time, it's a bit different. I decided to make a Sandstorm team (Usually I hate working with SS). The reason is, Stratagem is amazing in the sand. So, this team came out. Its been doing decent on the ladder, but I've been having some problems with Stat Boosters. The main point of the team is to eliminate the other team's Stratagem counters, then reveal Stratagem at the end and clean up.

Tyranisaur (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 180 HP/252 Atk/76 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Aqua Tail
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

The lead. The story behind this is simple: I was leading with a Hippowdon on another team, when I was suprisingly 2HKO'd by Aqua Tail by Bass's CB Tar. Definitely a great lead/wall breaker, and as an added bonus sets up Sandstorm for Stratagem. It also conveniently eliminates Blissey and other Tyranitar for me.

Cruelsquid (Tentacruel) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Electric]

The "suprise" revenge killer of the team. I like the fact that nobody expects Tentacruel to be fast, at base 100, but it doesn't have as much power as I'd like. It fails to OHKO Scarftran after SR. I'd be willing to change this to something with a bit more "pop", maybe a scarf Gyarados? I just need something fast on this team, and something unexpected.

Zapbird (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heat Wave
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roost
- Thunderbolt

Your standard Zapdos. This is my standard switch into any and all fighters. I find that it takes status way too much though, and its too important for me to lose like that. I need it to take down Scizor, so it just can't die.

Mummyankh (Revenankh) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP/120 Def/136 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Shadow Sneak
- Rest
- Hammer Arm

Again, standard. Takes care of Tyranitar, Lucario, Machamp, and sets up on them. I don't sacrifice this often at all, but sometimes I'm forced to in order to revenge kill something.

Dogcario (Lucario) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 120 Atk/176 Spd/212 SAtk
Rash nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The weakest link. SoT gave me the set, because CrushKing just wasn't working. Basically, I have no clue to do with this spot. I wanted a Mixed Attacker that was immune to SS, but there aren't many that fit the bill. I'm thinking that this spot would be better used by something like ClericBliss/Cleric Celebi with Stealth Rock, things this team sorely need.

Rockgem (Stratagem) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Flamethrower
- Earth Power
- Paleo Wave
- Energy Ball

The star of the show. Not many people expect Choice Specs Stratagem, which is why it works so well. Some times, I wish it was the LO attacker, because of the ability to switch attacks, but a lot of times the extra power helps. I'm kind of torn really.

Anyway, rate my team.
Credit to Cartoons and Aragornbird for the pics.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm a mere lurker to the CAP Process, but would Weather Ball not be a superior alternative to Paleo Wave since you're leading with Tyranitar? The chance of lowering Attack doesn't really make up for the power boost that Weather Ball gives.

tennisace

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm a mere lurker to the CAP Process, but would Weather Ball not be a superior alternative to Paleo Wave since you're leading with Tyranitar? The chance of lowering Attack doesn't really make up for the power boost that Weather Ball gives.
I've been considering it, but I've run into a few rain teams, and I don't want to be caught without Sandstorm. I'd rather go with reliability, since the power doesn't make that much of a difference.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Well to be fair, you could play 100 matches and bump into a mere handful of Rain or Hail teams, meaning in the other 90+ matches you'll be using a weaker move for no real reason. You should probably test Weather Ball because the boost from 127 to 150 is quite sizeable...

Hydro Pump might be worth a look on Tentacruel to ensure OHKOs on the likes of Heatran and Hippowdon because Surf really doesn't cut it off Tenta's poor SpA.

tennisace

Well to be fair, you could play 100 matches and bump into a mere handful of Rain or Hail teams, meaning in the other 90+ matches you'll be using a weaker move for no real reason. You should probably test Weather Ball because the boost from 127 to 150 is quite sizeable...

Hydro Pump might be worth a look on Tentacruel to ensure OHKOs on the likes of Heatran and Hippowdon because Surf really doesn't cut it off Tenta's poor SpA.
I'll try it then, I didn't think Hydro Pump would get the OHKO. I usually opt for more reliable moves though. Thanks =)

Edit: Weather Ball OHKOs Scizor on the switch, so thats a huge plus.

I'm not much of a team rater, but how about Starmie in Tenta's spot. It might not be as much of a surprise, but it will get the job done better with more special attack, stronger BP moves (Thunderbolt>HP Elec), and better STAB on the CaP server (Psychic).

I've been considering it, but I've run into a few rain teams, and I don't want to be caught without Sandstorm. I'd rather go with reliability, since the power doesn't make that much of a difference.
Against a Rain Dance team, stratagem is pretty well screwed anyway. You aren't going to use paleo wave against the slow raindance abusers. Kingdra, Kabutops, Ludicolo all outspeed and OHKO. I'd think you're better off with paleo wave.

erm how do you stop revenakh here? Zapdos is your only real answer to it and CBtar is getting evermore common and will pursuit you down. At least give it Metal Sound or HP Flying so you can put a decent dent into it.

Pursuit> EQ for TTar btw as EQ is pretty redundant due to Aqua Tail. It also gives you something against stall as your team is walled pretty hard by the generic skarm/bliss/rotom/hippowdon with only rev and maybe TTar breaking through but it would be easier to do so with Pursuit.

Perhaps a SR Heatran over Luke, SR / Boom / Fire Blast / Earthpower @ Shuca just to get the rocks up and blow up on Blissey to let Zapdos and Strata loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)