1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

RMT Newbie~

Discussion in 'BW OU Teams' started by rpgcaster, Mar 20, 2013.

1. rpgcaster

rpgcaster

Introduction: Hey guys, I'm rpgcaster and this is my first RMT. I have been playing Pokemon since all the way back when it started but am rather new when it comes to the competitive scene. I bring to the table a team that I've been playing around with and have been rather confident in as of late, but obviously with my limited knowledge of the competitive scene I probably wouldn't be able to see any obvious holes it may have. The team is a Volt Turn focus, that aims to pressure the opponent into switching, allowing you to maintain an advantageous position over them.

Team Building:
    Show Hide

[​IMG][​IMG]
    I started off with probably one of my favorite Pokemon Jirachi, which while isn't the best idea was what I did. Given that it's a Volt Turn focus it needed a partner that would cover it's holes and while not exactly the most original choice, Rotom-W fit the bill, resisting the fire and levitating over the ground.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Next I added some offensive threats and continuing the Volt Turn idea, two members that could utilize the attack as well as have a good amount of coverage to threaten my opponents Pokemon.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Finally I added someone to lay down an entry hazard so my opponent feels the consequences of switching, along with a spin blocker to prevent my opponent from getting rid of said hazards, however I was having problems with my party of some reason.

Gengar wasn't really working for the party, and as well as this I found myself fascinated with the magic bounce trait so decided to see how it would fare on my team. As well as this, as a dragon my Hydreigon was getting KOed by many sweepers that outsped it, not to mention that some of it's offensive coverage was already being covered by other members of the team. This is where Garchomp comes in, it's attacks filling in the offensive type holes as well as being a little faster.

Espeon was kicked for Xatu as Espeon's Wish was kind of redundant with Jirachi already filling that role. Add to this Xatu's access to U-turn and it was overall a better option for my team.

The team:

[​IMG]
    Jirachi (-)
    @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 80 HP / 176 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Iron Head
    - Fire Punch
    - Wish
    - U-turn

The main purpose of Jirachi is really to wish pass to other members of the party that are in need of healing. The EV spread makes Jirachi a half decent physical attacker while also allowing the Wish to be a little more effective with the increased HP. Iron Head on Serene Grace is probably the most standard thing there is as Jirachi's STAB, but I also packed Fire Punch to deal with those pesky steel walls that like to set up on me from time to time. U-turn allows me to keep synergy with the rest of the team. Being resistant to Grass allows it to cover for the next pokemon in the team.

[​IMG]
    Rotom-W (-) @ Leftovers Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
    Modest Nature
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Thunderbolt

Jirachi's partner in crime, covering for the Ground and Fire weaknesses of the previously mentioned Pokemon. The Volt Switch again allows the momentum of the team to be preserved, not to mention the STAB Rotom-W gets from it. Hydro Pump for STAB helps to shoot down fire types attempting to take down my Jirachi and Will-O-Wisp is good in the situation where I anticipate them switching in with an offensive threat as a counter to my Rotom-W. I chose Thunderbolt because I found that I liked the option of an Electric type STAB that didn't force me into a switch out, which fixed a few problems I had when choosing over moves.

[​IMG]
    Infernape (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Overheat
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn

Once again U-turn helps to preserve the momentum of the party. This is my sweeper of choice and is probably as standard as it gets. It comes with Overheat that allow it to take down the ever annoying Ferrothorn and Forretress as well as being a rather power STAB move. Close Combat is a second STAB, this one a physical move to make the use of the EV spread that I had chosen. Stone Edge helps to deal with flyers which will be trying to take my ape down, and is a good move when up against another Fire. The moves Overheat and Close Combat do nerf my stats after their use but this is negligible considering the U-turn switch will eliminate this immediately.

[​IMG]
    Forretress (F) @ Leftovers Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 80 SDef / 252 HP / 176 Def
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spd
    - Stealth Rock
    - Gyro Ball
    - Rapid Spin
    - Volt Switch

This is my hazard setter and as well as that, my spinner and wall. My go to switch in after a U-turn, if I know my opponent will probably attempt to strike with something this bulky walnut can resist. Gyro Ball is a good STAB and with Forretress' speed can take a considerable chunk out of an opponents health. This is a standard set but my main purpose for choosing it is the obvious, with Volt Switch and it's slow speed I can almost gurentee bringing in one of my powerhouses without fearing a surprise attack on the switch in. What's not to love about Forretress~ (4x Fire weakness aside...)

[​IMG]
    Garchomp (F) @ Choice Scarf Trait: Rough Skin
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang
    - Dragon Claw

I found myself lacking an offensive option that could deal with dragons so this is what my answer was. Not only does it outspeed most other dragons with the EV spread and Choice Scarf but it comes with other moves to help with coverage. I was considering Crunch in the last attack slot, however I decided that I wanted a second dragon STAB that I wasn't locked into. As good as Outrage is, getting stuck on it, and having a Ferrothorn thrown in your face is not fun.

[​IMG]
    Xatu (M) @ Leftovers Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 252 HP / 240 SDef / 16 Spd
    Calm Nature
    - Psychic
    - Thunder Wave
    - Roost
    - U-turn

My final member carries magic bounce. The obvious application is in that ability to switch it in after a speedy U-turn to watch my opponents Spikes, Leech Seeds etc. bounce right off me and into their face. Beyond that, it carries a STAB and Thunder Wave in order to hinder my opponents pokemon. I did carry Toxic previously in it's place, but found many Ferrothorn, Forretress and Skarmory's completely unfazed by the move. Roost allows me to heal off any damage and once again, U-turn to bring others in and continue the teams synergy.

Conclusion:
    This is my first time doing this kind of thing so I hope you don't go too hard on me. I definitely want to improve the team, but am lost on what direction to take it. It has been going fine so far but I am finding weather teams (Rain in particular) hard to deal with.
  2. The Strokes

The Strokes

Hey there,
    This is a pretty solid rmt for a first attempt, however, I think a few modifications to this team would vastly improve its ability to preform well in the current meta. This team has a large weakness to rock polish Landorous-I. Landorous, particularity the rock polish set, is very popular at the moment so every team has to have an answer to it. Landorous finds many setup opportunities when facing your team, he can set up on a choice locked Garchomp, and on Forretress, Jirachi, and Xatu. Xatu seems like the most replaceable member on your team because having a magic bouncer seems redundant when you already have a spinner in Forretress and the pokemon that you said Xatu takes care of are already taken care of by Infernape who can switch into Ferrothorn and Forretress, and Rotom-W who can switch into Skyarmory. A calm mind Latias instead of Xatu would help against Landorous and against sun and rain teams that give you trouble.

Latias @ leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    -Calm Mind
    -Dragon Pulse
    -Recover
    -Substitute

This set serves as a bulky yet fast set up sweeper that really does a number on rain and sun teams. Latias finds many opportunities to set up on these teams against pokemon like Ninetails and choice locked water moves from the likes of Keldeo and Politoed.
    One more nitpick that I've noticed is Infernape's nature. It should be naive as to not lower the power of overheat and to make sure he can still take some physical priority hits like bullet punch.
    Good luck with your team ;)
  3. Dr Ciel

Dr Ciel

Hi there!

This is a real nice team you have here, as you make use of some underrated, but a real underrated threat in Xatu, and another huge, yet underrated threat in Mixed LO Infernape. However, you have some huge threats to your team, along with a few flaws in it. Hopefully, my rate can help your team combat said threats and even iron out some huge flaws that it has. With all that said, let's get to my rate. Okay, now, your biggest threat happens to be Life Orb Volcarona. Volcarona can come in on Jirachi or Forretress, grab a few Quiver Dances and absolutely decimate your team, as you only have 2 Pokemon that resist its fire STAB attacks, in Rotom-W and Infernape, however both of them are KO'd by Bug Buzz and Hidden Power Ground. For this prime reason, I would like to suggest running a Special Defensive Heatran over your current choice of Forretress in your team. Special Defensive Heatran gives you not only an excellent Stealth Rock user, but it gives you an excellent way to combat sun teams in general, which look very troublesome to this team, in my eyes. Now that I have covered the main flaw in this team, I would like to make some nitpicks. My first suggestion here would be to use Pain Split over your current choice of Thunderbolt. Due to Rotom-W's pathetic HP Stat, he can use Pain Split for a semi-reliable recovery move whenever it gets low on HP. Moving right on with your team, I would like to suggest running Fire Blast and a Naive Nature over your current choice of Fire Fang and a Jolly Nature on Garchomp. With Fire Blast, Garchomp is able to get past Ferrothorn and it's #1 enemy in Skarmory as Fire Fang does not KO him, while the Naive Nature prevents the Special Attack stat from dropping, obviously. Finally, I would be running a Physically Defensive spread on Xatu over your current Xatu set. This set allows Xatu to bolster it's lackluster defenses and take on some strong physical attackers, such as Conkeldurr, Lucario and many many others. Well, that's all I have to say for now. I hope that my advice helped. Have fun and good luck in your future endeavours!

Heatran & Xatu (open)

[​IMG]
    Heatran @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
    Calm Nature
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Protect
    - Toxic​

[​IMG]
    Xatu @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Thunder Wave
    - U-Turn
    - Roost
    - Heat Wave​

TL;DR (open)

• Forretress [​IMG] -----------------> Special Defensive Hetaran [​IMG]
    • Rotom-W [​IMG]: Thunderbolt -> Pain Split​
    • Garchomp [​IMG]:​
    • Jolly -> Naive​
    • Fire Fang -> Fire Blast​
    • Xatu [​IMG]: Current Set -> Physically Defensive​

~Dr Ciel~

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)