ORAS OU RMT: OU Dual Sand Setter Offense

I used Sand team a lot in BW so I made one for ORAS and let me just say that it does REALLY well against many types of teams. I described it as offese since it doesn't have many walls, but it can be a little slow paced. It does however seem to make my opponents play around it and limits many switches and does a decent job of whittling down the opponents Pokemon with hazards.

Mega-Scizor_XY.gif

Mr. Krabs (Scizor-Mega) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Pursuit
- Swords Dance

Scizor is my ALL TIME FAVOURITE POKEMON. Which is part of why he is on the team. I chose 252 Spe Jolly nature just so it can outspeed other Scizor and or slower Pokemon that can outpace it without the investment, although I might consider a bulky variant. Pursuit was chosen over Knock Off for its trapping ability and its superior strength compared to Knock Off thanks to Technician. I don't always use this Pokemon during a battle but when I do, its usually to clean up the rest of the opponents team late game.

Spr_6x_248.png

Lannistar (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

(Yes LannisTAR don't yell at me GoT fans)
This set can switch in on SO many Pokemon and is very good at trapping the Latis and Ghost or Psychic-types. It sets the sand which the rest of the team really likes and forms a pretty decent core with Hippowdon.

450BW.gif

Hungry (Hippowdon) (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Roar

This set is usually my lead since it can get SR up really easily and can just Roar out any Pokemon it doesn't like barring Magic Bounce Pokemon. I didnt run Toxic on it since T wanted to have a way to recover HP since Hippowdon will be switching in quite a bit. Earthquake just so it can fight through Taunt. I ran a physically defensive set as it seems to be the most effective. I don't really have a special wall but Ttar sort of serves as one thanks to Sand.

Kopkop (Excadrill) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill serves as the main offense, sweeper, cleaner, and spinner for the team. With two Sand setters, Excadrill will usually have the ability to outspeed and OHKO or 2HKO almost anything that switches into it, coming in at 505 Spe thanks to Sand Rush. I ran an Adamant nature for more kill power along the Life Orb, which lets it net some really nice kills, though it doesn't survive more than one hit. However, you should by bringing it in mostly on the opponent's support Pokemon like Clefable, Klefki, and Ferrothorn (less favorable), since they will most likely switch out or eat an Iron Head or Earthquake. Excadrill also helps deal with Talonflame and Gardevoir.

Uber. (Serperior) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This team is pretty weak to Water, most notably Rotom-W, so I slapped Serperior on here since it does well versus a lot of Pokemon in the OU tier. Its a basic set which proves effective, and helps balance the team out by having a naturally fast and powerful Pokemon that do a lot of damage. Hidden Power Fire is good for dealing with Ferrothorn, as well as Magnezone at +2. You can also lead with Serp if you know they will lead with something like Lando-T and get a Leaf Storm up, although I prefer to keep it safe as mid-game option since Serp is a bit of a win condition for teams with Keldeo, Rotom-W, Quasire, and other Pokemon that give Sand teams trouble.

SCORCHING (Volcarona) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

This set works really well at killing once a QD is up. OHKOing most Ttar after SR

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 330-393 (81.8 - 97.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Tyranitar in Sand: 335-398 (98.2 - 116.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 398-468 (116.7 - 137.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs. 100 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 398-468 (108.7 - 127.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

It also outspeeds and kills the Latis at +1 and kills with is great for the team. I prefer to bring this Pokemon in as safely as possible since it doesn't like taking prior damage and usually wants to set up before it does anything else. I run Fiery Dance since I HATE missing Fire Blast and since I can use it to get a Sp. Atk boost off of a kill which is useful if I don't need to outspeed anything but I need the extra power. Fire Blast or Heat wave could be options for others though.

Threats:

Some threats are Volcanion as nothing like to switch in on a Specs Steam Eruption, opposing Serperior if I can't switch in Volcarona or if they get a prior Sp. Atk boost. Rotom-W can run through the team with Hydro Pump. Keldeo can slap this team if played right, and although Serp helps, Specs Icy Wind is not appreciated, especially with the Speed drop.

Let me know what you think and if there are any changes you would make! I find it to be a pretty solid team, but I'm still improving my team building skills.

Hi. Nice team you have got.

Although Sand isn't that prevalent right now, it's not at all unusable and it's still pretty easy to use.

Also, looking at your team, it's pretty obvious that you have a huge water weakness.

Here are some suggestions:

Starmie > Hippo

Your team lacks Water switch-ins which is quite an issue. Starmie gives you a Water resist while giving more reliable Spin support than Driller (Spinning just kills momentum for Driller). It is in general a great Scald switch-in. I chose Psyshock on it to deal with Keldeo - which threatens your team - better. Don't let this get weakened too much, though, as its bulk isn't terrific. This also completes a Fire-Water-Grass core with Volcarona and Serperior.

Superpower > Earthquake; Stone Edge > Rock Slide
Stone Edge is really important on Band Tar as it's a wallbreaker and hence wants the greatest damage output possible. Superpower hits more stuff in general, especially if you don't want to miss Stone Edge.

SubSeed > LO
SubSeed is the better set right now and would also be better for your team as LO gets worn down even faster with Sand. It has 56 HP EVs on it to prevent Rotom-W's Hydro Pump from breaking Serperior's Substitutes.

Some comments
I like LO Rona. Be sure to run Fire Blast > Fiery Dance though, as the extra damage is vital in some kills. Also, put the 4 HP EVs somewhere else so you can switch into rocks twice.

Toxic / Swords Dance > Rapid Spin
Now that you don't need Rapid Spin, you can put Toxic or SD in its place. SD doesn't really need explanation. As for Toxic, it's cool to catch those Lando-Ts with it to wear them down faster instead of taking damage by Iron Heading them.

Mega Diancie > Mega Scizor

Honestly, this is pretty much a desperate attempt of me to fit a Mega that can run Rocks on your team. It doesn't seem bad for your team though, as Volcarona greatly appreciates a Magic Bounce teammate together with Hazard Removal. Also, Fairy STAB seems to benefit your team. I'm suggesting both Stealth Rock and Protect on the same set, as I would prefer a safe Mega Evolution. I'm also running more SpA as you already have TTar.

Here are the sets:
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Volcarona @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n

Hi. Nice team you have got.

Although Sand isn't that prevalent right now, it's not at all unusable and it's still pretty easy to use.

Also, looking at your team, it's pretty obvious that you have a huge water weakness.

Here are some suggestions:

Starmie > Hippo

Your team lacks Water switch-ins which is quite an issue. Starmie gives you a Water resist while giving more reliable Spin support than Driller (Spinning just kills momentum for Driller). It is in general a great Scald switch-in. I chose Psyshock on it to deal with Keldeo - which threatens your team - better. Don't let this get weakened too much, though, as its bulk isn't terrific. This also completes a Fire-Water-Grass core with Volcarona and Serperior.

Superpower > Earthquake; Stone Edge > Rock Slide
Stone Edge is really important on Band Tar as it's a wallbreaker and hence wants the greatest damage output possible. Superpower hits more stuff in general, especially if you don't want to miss Stone Edge.

SubSeed > LO
SubSeed is the better set right now and would also be better for your team as LO gets worn down even faster with Sand. It has 56 HP EVs on it to prevent Rotom-W's Hydro Pump from breaking Serperior's Substitutes.

Some comments
I like LO Rona. Be sure to run Fire Blast > Fiery Dance though, as the extra damage is vital in some kills. Also, put the 4 HP EVs somewhere else so you can switch into rocks twice.

Toxic / Swords Dance > Rapid Spin
Now that you don't need Rapid Spin, you can put Toxic or SD in its place. SD doesn't really need explanation. As for Toxic, it's cool to catch those Lando-Ts with it to wear them down faster instead of taking damage by Iron Heading them.

Mega Diancie > Mega Scizor

Honestly, this is pretty much a desperate attempt of me to fit a Mega that can run Rocks on your team. It doesn't seem bad for your team though, as Volcarona greatly appreciates a Magic Bounce teammate together with Hazard Removal. Also, Fairy STAB seems to benefit your team. I'm suggesting both Stealth Rock and Protect on the same set, as I would prefer a safe Mega Evolution. I'm also running more SpA as you already have TTar.

Here are the sets:
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Serperior @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Fire
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Volcarona @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance / Rapid Spin

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n
Thanks for the rate! I'll try out your sets since I think that my team (which I intended to be offensive) ended up being more balance and defensive, which you sets fix. Also you have a great day too!

Dirkhann

Banned deucer.
Yeah Keldeo absolutely destroys this team, I mean Serperior is very shaky check because all it takes for the Keld user is to predict right once and Serp will be taking 70% aprox from specs SS. Same goes for Volcanion, so Starmie does fit nicely, honestly Hippo seems kinda out of place on this team... alternatively to what Tinberz suggested you can try running Support Tyranitar (I don't remember the spread and I'm on my phone right now so sorry about that, although it was somewhere along the lines 252 hp 80 def rest spdef with a relaxed nature). Bulky Ttar lets you trap the Latis much more reliably, gives you rocks and you can even run Ice Beam on it to lure Lando and weaken it (which Excadrill greatly appreciates as Lando is Drill's n#1 check). This also gives you a sturdier Zard X check/switch in, Stone Edge OHKO's even without investment or does at least 90%.. As for the item you can try either Smooth Rock or Chople Berry (to check Zard Y in a pinch). Now you're still kinda weak to Scarf Lando (Starmie gets 2HKO'd on the switch) so keeping M-Scizor as your mega would actually be the better choice should you opt for my suggestions, of course I'm talking about Bulky M-Sciz which can actually switch in and avoid the 2HKO from scarf EQ and can even set up on it 1v1. The spread is max HP 200 spdef rest into def, Impish nature. SD BP U-Turn Roost. Now since you already got 2 really strong win conditions in M-Scizor and Excadrill you don't really need another set up sweeper (Volcarona) so I think Manaphy would fit the team better than Volc, to help punch holes in fatter teams and give you a better chance vs Stall which you are kinda weak to, you can try Tail Glow Rain Dance Scald Ice Beam, max speed max spatk Timid nature so you can at least speed tie with Zard Y. Obviously Zard Y is still an annoyance but you can play around it with TTar/Manaphy/Starmie. Btw you can run Thunderbolt on Starmie as it covers both Keldeo and Zard Y. Lastly I would definitely run SD on Excadrill, and as for Serperior SubSeed is fine because it is your one Rotom switch in lol. Sorry for the rush but as I mentioned I postes this from my phone. That's it from me hope I helped.

EDIT: Thunderbolt on Starmie also hits Volcanion which is a huge threat for your team. Bulky Sciz can also outstall LO Drill 1v1 iirc unless it's packing SD. Also you can even try Air Balloon on your Drill if opposing Excadrills are too big of an issue. This is also why I sugested Manaphy as it provides you with yet another check to Lando/Excadrill. Lastly and this might sound weird but you can also try Latios over Starmie. Now let me explain why. Your team is kinda Bisharp weak. So you might be wondering how does addin Lati help out with your Bisharp weakness lol. The answer is simple, it gives you a COUNTERMEASURE for it just so it doesn't get out of hand. With a Choice Specs Lati you can trick it the apecs and cripple it for the reminder of the match. By tricking it a Specs you force it to go either for Knock Off or Sucker Punch, giving you much more room to play around it rather than resorting to mindgames with Serperior. If Bish goes for the SP you can safely go Serp and sub up, if it goes for KO you can safely revenge kill with Excadrill. Also note that Latios fulfills almost the same roles as as Starmie, Keldeo/Volcanion check while also having the bonus of being a much better Zard Y check. Since you're not running Volcarona anymore you dont really need Defog. So the moveset would be Draco Psyschock Surf Trick (Choice Specs). Also Trick cripples Chansey on the switch.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)