1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 1 RMT RBY OU: Tanklax

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Dre89, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Dre89

Dre89

Cloyster is really only a good switch-in to normals because it rests. If lapras runs rest it's sacrificing another important move. Cloyster can also just clamp to cover all their options, whereas lapras needs to predict.
  2. shrapn3l

shrapn3l

i did forget about lapras taking slams marginally better but i still stand by everything else i said.

also i apologize for calling you a goof but it kind of seemed to me like you were just being pedantic which was irritating. if you'll notice what i said was "full wrap teams/teams focused on wrap" and all i meant by that was

full wrap: teams with like 5 or 6 wrappers that are pretty gimmicky but people still use them.

focused on wrap: essentially what you are referring to as "wrap heavy," there are several wrappers and wrap is probably the main form of offense/the win condition.

however i certainly think there is a distinct difference in the way you play your team and more specifically your wrappers when you jump from using one wrapper or a wrapper + cloyster to having all three (or more). traditionally (as far as i know) people have referred to teams with three or more wrappers AS "wrap teams" BECAUSE of that distinction and i am not the one that chose name i am sorry but yes there is a bit of a distinction in play style. of course there is no strict wrap team/non-wrap team "binary," it's just when someone says "wrap team" you generally know what they are talking about i would say.

@Dre: if cloyster has clamp and you can get it in without having it paralyzed or you can get in on a surf/blizzard/eq/double switch, indubitably cloyster is the best thing for scaring the normals off or taking them on one on one. i dont think not having rest makes it "not good" at its job but having rest certainly helps with switching into body slams and i suppose more than any other dedicated normal-type switchin it can "afford" to have rest. i would never want to put it over anything except hyper beam though and hyper beam is pretty handy.
  3. Dre89

Dre89

Hyper beam is less important when you have clamp. I run clamp blizzard explosion rest. This can fulfill a lot of roles in one set. If something needs to be hit physically, I just clamp them and go to snorlax or something like that. If worse comes to worst he can just boom.

I find that on wrap teams you need something like snorlax to capitalise on your control and dent things. Otherwise I feel your control is for nothing.
  4. magic9mushroom

magic9mushroom

It's an alternate finishing move, for things that resist Ice. And for Chansey.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)