Gen 3 RMT = Team Espy

Introduction:

Before advancing, it is important that you know that I pieced this team together under the following rules: RSE/FrLg Pokémon only, all Legendaries and Starters (+Wobbuffet) are banned, and there is a cap level of 60. My name is Scrap-A-Dap, and I’ve been playing Pokémon since I was a kid, and I just recently got into the competitive part of it, so I will probably need a lot of help. As you may be able to tell by the name, I am an Espeon fan, and I decided to base my team around him, so without further adieu, I introduce Team E.S.P.Y. (Espeon’s Skills Pwn You)

At A Glance:

[
]
[
]
[
]
[
]
[
]
[
]

Team Building Process:

[
]

As previously mentioned, Espeon is my favorite Pokémon and I wanted to base my team around him. I decided he would best be used as a Calm Mind-Baton Passer, with the ability to do some serious STAB damage with psychic.

[
]
[
]

The next Pokémon that came to mind was Milotic. Neither of these two share a weakness, and Milotic is a great special tank, especially with Light Screen, that can do damage herself.

[
]
[
]
[
]

I didn’t want to send out Milotic or Espeon as a lead, so I decided to choose Gengar. He has three immunities which comes in handy, especially against the common earthquake. He has decent speed, and a great movepool to choose from the can cause damage to theoretically any team.

[
]
[
]
[
]
[
]

I noticed that so far, these have been offensively oriented Pokémon, minus Milotic, so I needed some physical beef. Immediately Skarmory came to mind, as he is probably the best physical tank in the RSE generation. He will also take the role of Spiker and PHazer with roar. Overall, he added three dimensions to my team in one pickup.

[
]
[
]
[
]
[
] [
]

After picking up Skarmory, I realized that if I were to get spiked, I didn’t have a rapid spinner, and Donphan seemed to fit well. He has a powerful STAB move with Earthquake, and has the underestimated ability to self-heal with Rest. Not to mention, you can never have too much defense.

[
]
[
]
[
]
[
]
[
]
[
]

Now with plenty of defense in play, I needed a pickup who could handle situations late in the game when they were needed. Salamence fits this description well with tons of attack, speed, and Intimidate which could potentially force a switch, which I could probably take advantage of with a great movepool.

A Closer Look:

The Lead

Gengar @ Leftovers
Levitate
Mild
156 Att | 168 spA | 184 Spe

Substitute
Ice Punch
Focus Punch
Thunderbolt

Gengar seemed to be a good lead for many reasons. One reason is he has a top-notch move pool, with combinations that are able to cause harm to every Pokémon, and almost every team. Another strong selling point Gengar had was, despite poor defense and HP, was three immunities (fighting, normal, and ground) and three resistances (half grass, and one-fourth to both bug and poison) which is especially useful to a top physical sweeper such as Heracross, or standard leads with Earthquake. Sub-punching is extremely effective in this generation and Gengar packs enough punch (get it?) to execute it.

--------------------------------------------------

The Special Tank

Miltoic @ Leftovers
Marvel Scale
Modest
252 HP | 184 Def | 56 spA | 16 Spe

Ice Beam
Light Screen
Recover
Surf

You may notice the modest nature as a little weird, but a big reason for this is the ease of evolving Feebas, as I am actually playing on Game Boy Advanced with no Action Replay or mods to help me out. Milotic is a good counter for the pesky dragon types with Ice Beam, and has a very nice, accurate STAB with surf. An important aspect of a tank for me is the ability to self-heal, which this can do with recover. Light screen will also boost its special defense, and if I decide to switch out, it can help out my teammates’ defenses as well.

The Physical Tank

Donphan @ Leftovers
Sturdy
Impish
252 HP | 44 Att | 188 Def | 24 Spe

Earthquake
Rest
Rapid Spin
Rock Slide

Donphan was chosen because he was a good self-healing tank with a powerful STAB, and was able to shoo off those annoying spikes, which is pretty much all I can ask for out of one Pokémon. A STABed earthquake is capable of providing tons of damage, especially with his high attack rating. I will generally try to save him until I have KOed their spiker, but if they bring out a physical sweeper, he might hit the arena early. I like the ability that he can rest, it saves me another slot since I don’t need a Cleric. A Rock Slide is powerful enough to scare away/KO any Salamence.

The Utility-Man

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Keen Eye
Impish
252 HP | 60 Att | 184 Def | 12 Spe

Spikes
Roar
Rest
Drill Peck

Besides being the best physical tank of this generation, Bar none in my opinion, Skarmory provides the luxury to spike, PHaze (since I don’t have a hazer), and heal itself, which I’ve said a lot, is ideal in a tank for me. Skarmory only has two weaknesses, but most Pokémon that can counter this one, I have a counter for myself. Spiking early sets up a lot of good things, as you probably already know, as it is pleasant to sit back and watch an opponent get damaged significantly every time they switch out. With rest, this Pokémon is virtually unkillable, as it can most likely take enough shots to wake back up and rest again. It can also stop baton pass chains and Pokémon having a little too much fun raising their stats while I rest.

The Cleaner-Upper

Salamence @ Leftovers
Intimidate
Adamant
252 Att | 116 HP | 140 Spe

Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Brick Break
Flamethrower

As we all know, things seldom go the way we picture it, and adjustments need to be made. Think of this Pokémon as my late-game adjustment. He will only butt his head in late in a match when needed. His raw power and speed, accompanied by his type-variety of moves, make him a scary enemy to have late in the match, but a great one to have on your side.

The Core of the Team

Espeon @ Leftovers
Synchronize
Timid
200 HP | 236 spD | 72 Spe

Calm Mind
Substitute
Baton Pass
Psychic

Before I got into competitive battling, Espeon was dubbed my favorite Pokémon. This was back at a point where I didn’t know about IVs, EVs, or even base stats. Back at a time where I thought a good moveset was four attacking moves on every single Pokémon in my computer. So you can imagine I was pleasantly surprised when I started getting deeper, to discover the Espeon is a very usable Pokémon. I was so happy, in fact I decided to base my tournament-team around him. He can provide great synergy with Milotic, Salamence, and Gengar, with the fact that he can calm mind and baton pass to them, all having at least one special attack. Or after calm minding, he can unleash psychic on the opponent, which is a very powerful attack if coupled with STAB.

Thanks and Closing Notes:

Thank you for making this far, and thank you even more if you took the time to read everything. Before commenting, please don’t forget the guidelines that I am under and that this is my first time doing anything like this, so my insights might be foolish or non-considering to some counters/combos/moves that you may know that I don’t. You may also notice my lack of Choice items, that is because I am not good enough at predicitng and long-term thinking to use them. I am here to learn so criticize away, but please be nice about it. Thank you again.

I haven't given it a full look, but without Mirror Coat on Milotic or Rock Slide on Sala, Light Screen Zapdos with HP Ice will cause some problems for you. You're also going to struggle with status moves. Donphan and Skarmory can both rest, but are taken down rather easily on the special side.

Oops. Like I said, I only gave it a quick scan so I didn't know your exact expectations. :P

I've further analyzed it, and I can spot major problems off the bat. Give the following set a thought for a second. I'm not saying you should use it, but it complete runs your team down if the opposition had it incorporated into their team.

Gardevoir @ Leftovers/Salac Berry
Nature: Timid [+spe, -atk]
Ability: Trace
EVs: 56 hp, 252 spA, 200 spe
Calm Mind
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Ice Punch/Wil-O-Wisp

Seriously. It's an easy sweep. It can Calm Mind to hell and back up against every single one of your pokemon. Every single one of them, except Donphan if Gardevoir had Wil-O-Wisp instead of Ice Punch. What's even worse is that you have Gengar in the lead, so Gardevoir can come in quite easily and Trace Levitate. Once that's done, Gardevoir can set up a bazillion jilion Calm Minds and Gengar can do nothing to stop it. If your opponent's initial lead was faster than your Gengar, Gardevoir should get at least one Calm Mind in. Gengar is OKOed by Psychic (and it doesn't have Destiny Bond either, which is a problem in this situation) Skarmory is OKOed by Thunderbolt, and Donphan and Salamence are sent to the graves with Ice Punch. I'm not saying Gengar is a bad lead, but it just doesn't work with the way your team is built.

Your Salamence set is also problematic. Once Gardy has Traced Levitate, There's nothing Salamence can do to fight it, and just to add insult to injury, it doesn't even need Ice Punch to beat your Salamence. It's immune to Earthquake, resists Brick Break, and Flamethrower will do minimal damage because of it's enormous spD (and not to mention all those Calm Minds thrown in) Salamence needs HP Flying for STAB, or Arial Ace if this is built in game and not on netbattle. Go with Rash nature, a spread of 180spA/140spe/104atk/84hp (roughly) and get rid of Brick Break and put either Rock Slide or Arial Ace/HP Flying. You don't need a lot of atk or spe because of DD. Just predict well so you can pull it off.

I didn't pull that Gardevoir set completely out of my head either just for the sake of countering your team. That's virtually the same set smogon suggests. Alakazam can pull of a similar set too, except it doesn't need to trace Levitate (and it can't anyways lol) since it's faster than your entire team.

Espeon as a BPer works best in the lead, since it's rather difficult to get it in because of it's fragility. Besides, who is Espeon going to BP Calm Mind to on your team?

Special sweeper Milotic isn't very good. Mainly because 1) it's too slow, 2) it lacks the moves to be a fully effective sweeper, and 3) it's prime purpose is to be bulky. Milotic is my favorite pokemon, so I have tons of experience with it. Try the set for a sturdy, toxicstall Milotic:

Milotic @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm [+spD, -atk]
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 hp, 240 def, 16 spD
Surf
Toxic
Mirror Coat
Recover

Trust me. It works very well. Because of the EVs invested in it, it can take super effective grass or electric hits and survive. Your opponent should know this, and they need to be very cautious about hitting it with special attacks because of Mirror Coat. It can also take down Gardevoir, just as long as it hasn't Calm Minded too much.

I don't see the need for both Skarmory and Donphan. Donphan is primarily used as a spinner and physical tank, while Skar is a physical wall and spiker. However, why not combine those roles together into one pokemon? Forretress can set up spikes, handle physical hits quite well, and spin when it needs to. It saves you one extra slot. Just beware of Magneton though.

And I hate to say it, but Espeon isn't that good in standard play. I've seen great teams built around mediocre pokemon however, you just need to know exactly what you're doing.

You also don't have a counter for Snorlax and Tyranitar, two of the biggest threats in the metagame.

Thanks for the rate, even though it made me feel bad lol. But, I was planning on BPing Milotic or Gengar (I would pull him out if I suspected something). Also, for tyranitar, Milotic and Gengar both have water/ice moves, and Salamence has brick break whick is SE on Lax. And if Gardevour were to lead and trace levitate, how does that mean gengar has no chance? He doesn't even have any ground moves?

The Gengar bit was more that Gardevoir could come in on Geng at any point in time and rape him (seeing as Geng has no way of killing Gard, and Gard can OHKO if it wants), simultaneously tracing Levitate to deal with any ground-type cleanup. Considering this is the 115 base SpD Gardevoir, let's count all the non-Ground non-Fighting physical sources of damage on your team. I count 2: Skarmory's Drill Peck, and Donphan's Rock Slide. That's not enough: they're both OHKO'd after a turn of Calm Mind.

That was why Gardevoir screwed Gengar over: it screwed your whole team over.

even though it made me feel bad lol.
Lol sorry. I, in no way, meant to insult you however.
I was planning on BPing Milotic or Gengar
If you plan on BPing Calm Mind to either of them, add some EVs to your other pokemon. Give Milotic a lot more bulk from the def side, and give Gengar Timid and move him out of the lead position.

Also, for tyranitar, Milotic and Gengar both have water/ice moves, and Salamence has brick break whick is SE on Lax.
Ice isn't super effective against Tyranitar. The definition of a counter is have them switch in at any time and scare them off. Milotic can probably win 1 on 1 against Tyranitar, but it isn't a safe switch in to any of Tyranitar's attacks. Salamence can come in on an EQ, but is doomed against Rock Slide.

Brick Break is super effective against Lax, yes, but it's not a safe switch in against it.

And if Gardevour were to lead and trace levitate, how does that mean gengar has no chance? He doesn't even have any ground moves?
Even without Levitate Gengar doesn't have a chance, since fighting moves are resisted by Gardevoir (not to mention Gengar's lackluster attack) and special moves won't do much because of Gardy's 115 base spD. Tracing Levitate means Salamence is doomed, since Brick Break is resisted, and Flamethrower will do very little. This means, against your Gengar, Gardy should be able to CM at least once. Then, it OKOes Gengar, Skarmory and Donphan, seriously damages Milotic (it can't recover forever, and since it can do nothing to attack, Gardy will CM some more) and will easily beat Espeon 1 on 1.

Lol sorry. I, in no way, meant to insult you however.
If you plan on BPing Calm Mind to either of them, add some EVs to your other pokemon. Give Milotic a lot more bulk from the def side, and give Gengar Timid and move him out of the lead position.

Ice isn't super effective against Tyranitar. The definition of a counter is have them switch in at any time and scare them off. Milotic can probably win 1 on 1 against Tyranitar, but it isn't a safe switch in to any of Tyranitar's attacks. Salamence can come in on an EQ, but is doomed against Rock Slide.

Brick Break is super effective against Lax, yes, but it's not a safe switch in against it.

Even without Levitate Gengar doesn't have a chance, since fighting moves are resisted by Gardevoir (not to mention Gengar's lackluster attack) and special moves won't do much because of Gardy's 115 base spD. Tracing Levitate means Salamence is doomed, since Brick Break is resisted, and Flamethrower will do very little. This means, against your Gengar, Gardy should be able to CM at least once. Then, it OKOes Gengar, Skarmory and Donphan, seriously damages Milotic (it can't recover forever, and since it can do nothing to attack, Gardy will CM some more) and will easily beat Espeon 1 on 1.
No it's cool, I was saying that as a joke. But man, I just got railed.. That's really all I have to say, haha. Should I rebuild my team from scratch, or..?

Do what you want. If you think you have the time to start over, then sure. But even so, you can take what you have and continue on from there. You have major flaws, but I've seen much worse. (with me especially lol)

Try not to have bias either. Milotic is my favorite pokemon, but if it won't work, I won't use him.

You should have said when the tournament was over :x Juuuust in case...

I really don't see how Espeon is the core of this team... I mean yes he's there, but only milotic really benefits from getting CMs passed to it.

Anyway, you don't have a special wall so things like Starmie and Ludicolo in particular can 6-0 you. Hp Ice Jolteon and Gengar can also cause you significant problems. The main theme is that they can all bolt beam, and nothing on your team can really handle it.

I really don't want to say this but...you might just be best off trading in Espeon for a special wall like Snorlax. If you do that there won't really be anything your team can't handle, except well a last game Curselax :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)