DPP LC RMT - "The Trooper" (LC)

Hey, what's up?

This team was made over my stay at LCF. It has the same base as my very first team, however as I got more experienced with the metagame, my team adjusted as such. This team has a switch-in for pretty well every Pokemon in Little Cup, giving it an edge offensively very often. (Bragging time) This team has won me 2-3 LCF Tourneys, #1 on the Ladder numerous times, and got me to the semi-finals in the Smogon LC Tourney. So this is probably the final form of the team as such.

Now onto the team:

One of the most important things about having a successful LC team from my personal experience, is to have a couple of mini-strategies, but not any one big strategy. This is because, especially in LC, that nothing will ever go according to planned.

I include 3 mini-strategies, the first being very common in the metagame. The first strategy, is to Lure out a Ghost-type with Machop or Croagunk, and trap KO it with Pursuit on Munchlax. This opens up a hole the opponent's team, allowing Machop or Croagunk to sweep much easier. The second, is to lure out Munchlax with Houndour, and smash it in the face with Reversal for a OHKO. This allows Misdreavus to pull off an easy sweep. Thirdly, I use Ice Punch on Croagunk to lure out Glligar and KO it. This helps Machop mostly.

However, having a strategy can only do so much, the team itself is just as important.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Presenting: "The Trooper"

I chose the name "The Trooper", because it's awesome. Obviously that's not the only reason why it fits. The other reason why the name fits is because this team is made so that it can take a lot of punishment and still have a fighting chance (its a "trooper", if you will).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lead

While the strategies are important, they are only really half the battle. The Lead of the team is a very important aspect of the team, because it starts the battle off and judges how you need to play for the rest of the match. The most important thing about a lead is the ability to not only beat other leads most of the time, but it's also to never leave you at a big disadvantage.

Houndour (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 196 Atk/76 Spd/196 SAtk/36 SDef
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
- Reversal
- Overheat
---

Role: Houndour is the most reliable lead I have found so far. With the ability to beat almost all Focus Sash leads, Sleep Leads, Protect Leads, and Fake Out Leads, Houndour rarely ever leaves me without the advantage early in the battle. The most important thing about Houndour though, is that it never leaves me with a big disadvantage, which is the most important aspect of a lead in my opinion. Early Bird is often underrated, it gives Houndour an easy time with many leads, and with it it covers everything.

Moveset: Overheat is chosen over Fire Blast for the extra KOing power on stuff like Gligar and bulky Chop. Protect counters Fake Out leads, while Sucker Punch hits like a truck and is a nice priority attack. Reversal is great to OHKO Munchlax, not to mention giving me an awesome physical attack, which Houndour lacks.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Houndour doesn't really need more than 14 Speed, because anything with 14 Speed or faster is often Scarfed and is otherwise around 13 Speed. The Attack EVs go a long way, guaranteeing a OHKO on Munchlax with Reversal and giving Houndour a strong enough Sucker Punch to OHKO stuff like Diglett. Max SpA is to help OHKO Pokemon like Gligar, Machop, and Bronzor.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Core

As important as the lead is, the core is the most important aspect of any team. A core gives you momentum and weakens your opponent until you can end the game and sweep. Utilizing resistances, immunities, and strong attacks make the Holy Trinity of Gligar / Munchlax / Misdreavus a force to be reckoned with.

Gligar (M) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 236 Atk/236 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Aqua Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost
---

Role: Gligar is my go-to Pokemon. Sporting awesome resistances, stats, and movepool, it's no wonder this thing is always the most used Pokemon. Gligar helps me check a huge portion of the metagame, including Fighting-types, Ground-types, and other Pokemon. It also sets up Stealth Rock for my team. Gligar is my all-purpose, "Jack of all trades, Master of none", mixed bag Pokemon that allows Gligar to do what it does best: Everything. I guess technically that would be "King of all trades", but whatever.

Moveset: Aqua Tail is used over Stone Edge, because I need a way to check other Gligar and Phanpy is becoming more and more popular. Roost allows Gligar to take a hit and keep on truckin, while Stealth Rock makes the the switches forced my this core easy to abuse. Earthquake is your basic STAB attack.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Max Speed because LC is a fast-paced Speed-based metagame, and most Pokemon max out at 16-19 speed, giving Gligar the edge. The rest is dumped into attack so that Gligar can still hit like a truck, while Oran Berry gives it all the bulk it needs.

Munchlax (M) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk/36 Def/236 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
- Return
- Fire Punch
---

Role: Munchlax and Gligar have awesome synergy as it is, but Munchlax was chosen for other reasons as well. Firstly, Munchlax allows me to remove my opponents Ghost-types, letting Machop likely sweep. Second, Munchlax is an awesome offensive force, while also being a decent Special wall. With its resistances to Ice and Fire, immunity to Ghost, and awesome stats, Munchlax is definitely an important member of this team. Walling and Wall-breaking are two things you don't often see on one Pokemon.

Moveset: Fire Punch is too important to give up for Protect in my opinion. Hitting Bronzor who is one of the biggest annoyances in the metagame super effectively is nothing to scoff at. Pursuit gives Munchlax the ability to trap and destroy Ghost-types, while Earthquake and Return grant decent coverage, perfect coverage when combined with the other moves.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Max Atk because I always want my opponent to be on the defensive. The SpD helps more than HP would, because it allows Munchlax to take Special hits better. Oran also makes a bigger impact on Munchlax if its defenses are higher, and its HP is lower.

Misdreavus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 Spd/240 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Shadow Sneak
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute
---

Role: I'm proud to call SubSneak Missy my invention, because of how successful it has become. With the bonus power from Life Orb, and the priority given by Shadow Sneak, Missy is a very threatening sweeper and is hard to revenge kill. Missy also supplies my team with an extra Ground immunity, and another Fighting-type switch-in. Fighting types are the most dangerous sweepers in the metagame in my opinion, so doubling up resistances in that category is far from redundant.

Moveset: Shadow Sneak and Substitute are made for each other. If Missy gets a Substitute up, something is going to faint. Missy 2HKOes the entire metagame, and OHKOes most of it. With Shadow Sneak, Missy can keep its Substitute up against Pokemon like foe Missy, Scarf Gastly, Abra, and especially Sucker Punchers like Croagunk and Houndour. Shadow Ball + Hidden Power Fighting grant perfect coverage and are both great sweeping tools.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Max Speed because LC revolves around speed. Nothing much else can be done with Missy's EVs because of Hidden Power, so the rest is dumped into Special Attack. Life Orb give Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fighting a nice kick, but most importantly it makes sure you get KOes with Shadow Sneak.
The Revenge Killers and Late Game Sweepers

These Pokemon specialize in revenge killing early game, and sweeping late game. Having two Pokemon to do this job is very beneficial, because you can't always expect one Pokemon to have ideal sweeping conditions every battle. If I manage to take out Ghosts, lay Stealth Rock down, and be against Pokemon slower than 21 Speed, Machop can sweep. If I manage to generally weaken my opponents team, Croagunk can sweep. If my opponent is using a moderately bulky Pokemon that is sweeping my team, Machop can revenge kill it, while if my opponent has a fast Choice Scarfer sweeping, Croagunk can revenge kill it.

Croagunk (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 188 Atk/116 Spd/188 SAtk
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Vacuum Wave
- Fake Out
---

Role: The ultimate revenge killer and late game cleaner, MixedPriorityGunk. MPG is so unique as a revenge killer, because no matter how fast the opponent is, it will still be outsped and likely 2HKOed by a combination of Fake Out and Sucker Punch or Vacuum Wave. MPG also gives me a nice Gligar lure, hitting it on the switch with Ice Punch is game changing. Near-perfect coverage priority moves, Fake Out, and an awesome Water-type immunity help Croagunk earn a spot on my team.

Moveset: Fake Out + near perfect coverage priority attacks are obviously important for sweeping and revenge killing purposes. Ice Punch gives me a way to break Missy subs reliably, and also gives me a strong reliable physical attack. Not to mention, it OHKOes Gligar.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Maxed Atk then SpA, and dumped the rest in speed. Lonely was my nature of choice because it benefits 3 attacks, while a Mild nature would only benefit one. Sucker Punch and Fake Out are probably my most important attacks as well.

Machop (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 36 HP/196 Atk/36 Def/236 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Dynamicpunch
- Payback
- Bullet Punch
---

Role: Machop is probably close to Missy for being my teams MVP. It not only gives me an awesome switch-in for Cranidos and other Pokemon, it gives me an awesome late game sweeper and revenge killer. With DynamicPunch, Machop basically has 50% chance to beat everything slower than it, while it also OHKOes almost everything that doesn't resist it as well. Bulk, confusion, and priority make Machop one of the most important members of my team.

Moveset: DynamicPunch needs no explanation. Ice Punch and Payback hit Gligar and Ghost/Psychic-types respectively, being the only good switch-ins to Dynamic Punch. Bullet Punch is often underrated, which shouldn't be the case. Priority is priority, its awesome in Little Cup. Steel isn't a great attacking type, but the fact that it can now revenge kill Cranidos, Rock Polishers, and even stuff like weakened Mankey and other random Pokemon.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Since Machop needs max Speed and a Jolly nature to reach 21 Speed, the majority of other EVs are dumped into Attack. However, this leaves Machop with enough EVs for a point in HP and a point in Defense, further increasing Machop's already impressive bulkiness.

Threat list is below.

Threat List

Abra - Easily KOed by Houndour, and considering most of them use HP Fire over HP Fighting, it is an easy switch. Croagunk also revenge kills. Munchlax traps, etc.

Aipom - Only seen as a lead, and Houndour beats it 1v1.

Anorith - Gligar makes a nice switch in, so does Machop. They can either set up or KO it respectively.

Bellsprout - Since Houndour can take a sleep with ease, and resists Seed Bomb and Sucker Punch, it makes a great switch-in.

Bronzor - Houndour OHKOes, Munchlax nails it too. Missy can use some variants as set-up bait.

Buizel - Rain Sweepers are easily revenge killed by Croagunk.

Carvanha - Croagunk OHKOes with Vacuum Wave and resists/is immune to both STABS.

Chinchou - Croagunk, Gligar, Munchlax, etc.

Cranidos - Machop makes a nice switch-in, and Croagunk easily revenge kills it.

Croagunk - Gligar and Missy both set up and walk all over it.

Diglett - Lead beats Houndour 1v1, however it gives me a free stealth rock set up with Gligar. Otherwise its OHKOed by everything on my team.

Doduo - This is tough to switch into, so I need to make sure it doesn't come in on a Shadow Ball when I'm not behind a Substitute. However, Houndour and Croagunk easily revenge kill it.

Elekid - This is tough to switch into as well, but it's easily revenge killed by Machop. This thing often causes some serious trouble though.

Gastly - Leads get owned by Early Bird, Sucker Punch, or Overheat, while non-leads get Pursuited or Shadow Sneaked

Gligar - Gligar is a nice check for itself, Missy works too. Ice Punch catches Gligar off guard very often as well.

Houndour - Houndour is the best Houndour counter, but Munchlax also works. If not, it can be OHKOed by Machop or Croagunk.

Kabuto - Rain Dance Sweepers still lose to Croagunk almost all the time.

Machop - Missy and Gligar are both on the team for the sole reason of keeping this in check.

Magby - Munchlax is a good switch-in to the scarf variant, but the mixed one needs to be played around. If it has Cross Chop, Houndour is a good counter, if it has Mach Punch, Munchlax is a good counter.

Mankey - Missy and Gligar are both on the team for the sole reason of keeping this in check.

Meowth - Lead loses to Houndour.

Misdreavus - Pursuited by Munchlax.

Munchlax - Machop owns this, Missy 2HKOes non-Oran variants. Houndour OHKOes with Reversal, I have this covered.

Paras - Houndour is a good switch in with Early Bird and strong Fire attacks.

Snover - Houndour OHKOes and resists both STABs. Its easy to KO with Machop or Gunk though.

Staryu - Munchlax can wall. It can easily be revenge killed or countered by Gunk as well.

Taillow - can be a bitch, I need to play around it with priority.

Voltorb - lead is easily dealt with by Houndour.

Wailmer - lead is easily dealt with by Houndour as well.

Bagon - Scarfed variants can hurt, but I have enough priority to keep it in check.

Cacnea - Swords Dance variants are usually still beaten by Gligar, Houndour, or Croagunk.

Clamperl
- Tough to break Restalk, but I manage with Missy and Munchlax.

Cubone - Priority eats TR sweepers.

Cyndaquil - Dour has Protect to scout its attack. If it uses Eruption, I stay in, if it uses Double Kick, I go to Missy.

Dratini - As long as SR on the field it won't be set up.

Drifloon - FLOOOONN. Munchlax can deal with it mostly, it depends on the variant though. If its Hypnosis Sub, then I use Dour. If it doesn't have hypnosis, Munchy is the way to go. I switch to Missy for BOOMS though.

Duskull - Can be a bit annoying, but it can't take repeated hits from anything, and can get trapped by Munch.

Eevee - Missy is a solid switch-in, and it can OHKO.

Gible - Priority stops it easily.

Goldeen
- Rain Dance sweepers are dealt with by Gunk, however Goldeen is a little bulkier and can be a bit of trouble.

Hippopotas - OHKOed by Overheat and Missy.

Krabby - Gunk eats water attacks, Missy eats Normal ones.

Magnemite - Munchlax is a good switch-in, with Missy for Explosions.

Mantyke - This is only not tough because Munchlax can wall it quite well.

Omanyte - Gunk eats this for breakfast.

Poliwag - Belly Wag..lol. It can't set up.

Porygon - Machop and Croagunk both cover this.

Ratatta - They also both cover this.

Remoraid - Croagunk is a nice check here, absorbing water-type attacks

Shroomish - Really useless vs Missy.

Slowpoke - annoying, but Missy can OHKO it with ease. It's tough to get around though.

Squirtle - Gunk walls water-attacks. Generally it's too weak to effect my team.

Swinub - OHKOed by Dour.

Teddiursa - easily revenge killed with no priority of its own.

Venonat - Houndour lols @ sleep, and OHKOes with Overheat€.

Wynaut - As long as it isnt in on Machop, im fine.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Good job on this team Heys, seen the Houndour lead in action a couple of times, it works pretty well. Team looks pretty standard, as it utilizes most of the Pokemon in the top 10. I'm not entitled to make any major changes, but I could make a suggestion. Have you tried Yache Berry on Gligar? I mean sure Oran is great, but you have Roost to heal off damage and Gligar - I assume is your main switch-in to Elekid. Gligar can survive Ice Punch and OHKO back with Earthquake. I've done it a couple of times, as Elekid is also a problem on my team. I patched this up with Yache, and it didn't make a huge difference. With Elekid gone, you don't have to result to switching around to get to your priority users. Gligar can take it out off the bat. This is synergy wise, but otherwise Oran Berry is always the better option on Gligar, but as of now Yache sounds like it might patch up this issue with Elekid.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Also, since Gligar doesn't run Stone Edge, it will be easy for Mantyke to go in and set up rain. The only pokemon on your team that can really deal with Mantyke when its raining is croagunk, who i believe KOs with Fake Out + Sucker Punch + SR.

Also if Munchlax is low on health, then Drifloon can come in on it and get a sub up, once it subs down to below 25% health, petaya berry and Unburden raise its attack and speed to levels that can destroy your entire team, bar Croagunk, who has to outpredict Drifloon, otherwise, your whole team is killed by it.

Also, franky, Yache Berry is not as good as you might think on Gligar, as Machop can still OHKO through Yache berry, and you still can't switch into an Elekid Ice Punch.

Good job on this team Heys, seen the Houndour lead in action a couple of times, it works pretty well. Team looks pretty standard, as it utilizes most of the Pokemon in the top 10. I'm not entitled to make any major changes, but I could make a suggestion. Have you tried Yache Berry on Gligar? I mean sure Oran is great, but you have Roost to heal off damage and Gligar - I assume is your main switch-in to Elekid. Gligar can survive Ice Punch and OHKO back with Earthquake. I've done it a couple of times, as Elekid is also a problem on my team. I patched this up with Yache, and it didn't make a huge difference. With Elekid gone, you don't have to result to switching around to get to your priority users. Gligar can take it out off the bat. This is synergy wise, but otherwise Oran Berry is always the better option on Gligar, but as of now Yache sounds like it might patch up this issue with Elekid.
That sounds like a very nice idea, I'm going to try that out. My only concern is that I lose the reliability that Oran gives, however patching up this weakness could be worth it.

Also, since Gligar doesn't run Stone Edge, it will be easy for Mantyke to go in and set up rain. The only pokemon on your team that can really deal with Mantyke when its raining is croagunk, who i believe KOs with Fake Out + Sucker Punch + SR.
Munchlax also beats it, so does Houndour w/ Sash. On top of Croagunk I mean.
askaninjask said:
Also if Munchlax is low on health, then Drifloon can come in on it and get a sub up, once it subs down to below 25% health, petaya berry and Unburden raise its attack and speed to levels that can destroy your entire team, bar Croagunk, who has to outpredict Drifloon, otherwise, your whole team is killed by it.
This is why Sneak Missy is on my team, it revenge kills ghosts with ease.

Thanks for the rate!

However, if a mod could kindly change the title to have a "(LC)" at the end of it?

The one thing that is kinda worrying is that nothing can really switch into elekid safely. But then again, not much can switch into elekid. I would also recommend EQ>payback on machop. I have always found that ice punch does enough to ghosts.
Very good team.

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
On Munchlax, I would consider moving some more EVs into Defense in HP to have a more solid response to Elekid, as with Max HP/36 Def it survives a max attack LO Cross Chop and easily KOs back. Despite what you've said about your Houndour lead, Meowth leads still give you a bit of trouble. While yes, it is true you can Protect their Fake Out, they can U-Turn to an Aqua Jetter, such as Buizel or Squirtle or even worse for you, a speed-booster like Mantyke or Chinchou. In fact, if said Mantyke sets up Rain, it can be disastrous for your team. Another Pokemon your team may have some difficulty with is a not-so-common one, SubPunch Croagunk. A Croagunk with Substitute/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch/Focus Punch can rip through this team if played correctly, priority spam or not. Gligar is not an appropiate response to this, as once it gets a Sub up its Ice Punch will not be an attack you enjoy taking. STAB Focus Punch is also a bitch, even against something that resists it, like your own Croagunk.

Yeah...pretty good team, and I hope you'll take my advice under consideration!

The one thing that is kinda worrying is that nothing can really switch into elekid safely. But then again, not much can switch into elekid. I would also recommend EQ>payback on machop. I have always found that ice punch does enough to ghosts.
Very good team.
Ice Punch doesn't OHKO Missy, which is what I really need to do with Machop. Not giving them a chance to switch out is game changing.

Elekid is generally dangerous to all teams late game, but I usually get myself in a position to beat it with Croagunk / Houndour, and Machop is a great switch in too. Anything but Munchlax and Gligar can revenge kill it too. It's the one weakness I'm going to have to play with, I think.

On Munchlax, I would consider moving some more EVs into Defense in HP to have a more solid response to Elekid, as with Max HP/36 Def it survives a max attack LO Cross Chop and easily KOs back.
I've always debated that, and I've found that Munchlax usually needs the Attack EVs to KO things like Mantyke and Porygon, but I'll definitely consider that.
Vader said:
Despite what you've said about your Houndour lead, Meowth leads still give you a bit of trouble. While yes, it is true you can Protect their Fake Out, they can U-Turn to an Aqua Jetter, such as Buizel or Squirtle or even worse for you, a speed-booster like Mantyke or Chinchou.
Overheat + Sucker Punch KOes Squirtle, and Buizel is easily stopped by Croagunk. I'm always prepared for the water-types that could come in, that's why Croagunk is so key to this team. Especially since they'll never risk the Return because they know that I could beat their only chance of taking out Houndour safely by using Sucker Punch. This team abuses risk/reward odds.

Vader said:
In fact, if said Mantyke sets up Rain, it can be disastrous for your team.
How so? Munchlax survives Hydro Pump and OHKOes. Croagunk KOes with Fake Out + Sucker Punch. Houndour can also stall the rain with Protect and go out with a Sucker Punch, leaving Mantyke with very little HP.

Vader said:
Another Pokemon your team may have some difficulty with is a not-so-common one, SubPunch Croagunk. A Croagunk with Substitute/Ice Punch/Thunderpunch/Focus Punch can rip through this team if played correctly, priority spam or not. Gligar is not an appropiate response to this, as once it gets a Sub up its Ice Punch will not be an attack you enjoy taking. STAB Focus Punch is also a bitch, even against something that resists it, like your own Croagunk.
You're overlooking a couple things here. First, Croagunk can't sub against anything on my team except Machop locked into Payback (basically never happens...). Second, Missy is an easy switch in, only being hit by a weak-ish 75 BP unSTABed attack. I always attack gunk in case, but if it somehow gets a sub up, Missy can deal.

Vader said:
Yeah...pretty good team, and I hope you'll take my advice under consideration!
Definitely going to test out the Munchlax EVs, thanks for the rate!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)