1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Gen 3 RMT- Too defensive?

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by wooooood, Mar 7, 2009.

1. wooooood

wooooood

[​IMG]
    Milotic @leftovers
    Marvel Scale
    Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpA
    - Ice Beam
    - Recover
    - Hypnosis
    - Surf

[​IMG]
    Weezing @leftovers
    Levitate
    Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 178 Atk / 68 SpA / 12 Spe
    - Pain Split
    - Explosion
    - Flamethrower
    - Haze

[​IMG]
    Dusclops @leftovers
    Pressure
    Careful
    EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 20 Def / 200 SpD
    - Rest
    - Will o Wisp
    - Shadow Ball
    - Seismic Toss

[​IMG]
    Heracross @leftovers
    Guts
    Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    - Swords Dance
    - Focus Punch
    - Megahorn
    - Rock Slide

[​IMG]
    Blissey @leftovers
    Natural Cure
    Bold
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    - Toxic
    - Counter
    - Aromatherapy
    - Softboiled

[​IMG]
    Skarmory @leftovers
    Keen Eye
    Impish
    EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 184 Def / 12 Spe
    - Rest
    - Spikes
    - Drill Peck
    - Whirlwind

I'm relatively new at constructing teams, this is mainly for the Battle Frontier and maybe some battling with my friends, not shoddy.
    The most obvious weakness I see is a lack of Earthquake. The only true defense I'd have against electrics would be Blissey with her insane SpD, but other than that I'd run the risk of them setting up. Most of the pokes I've chosen run their normal sets, I've only taken a few deviations in a mixture Weezing who runs flamethrower for some Skarm protection. Heracross is my only sweeper, and I guess the main purpose of my team is to keep running high defenses until he has a chance to switch in and set up a sweep. Tips and criticism gladly appreciated, the only pokemon I've actually bred and IV/EV trained so far are Dusclops and Heracross, though neither of their movesets are set in stone yet.
  2. Actaeon

Actaeon

3. wooooood

wooooood

Thanks for all the input, now for a few more questions of my own:
    I know certain pokemon may very well counter my lead Milotic, but won't every single pokemon I lead with have a potential counter? I'm not trying to say you're wrong, but I feel like my lead isn't my problem, my glaring weakness to Raikou is.
    I completely realized what you're saying in Blissey's moveset; I wasn't thinking at all when I made that set because I should've realized that if Bliss is in fact my only special wall then what good does counter do? I'll switch it for seismic toss. I think I'll take aromatherapy off as well, considering the fact that two of my pokes rely on a status effect to really work to their full potential (Milotic/Heracross).
    On to Heracross: I see the necessity for CB, I'll check the moveset on the strategy dex for what to replace swords dance.
    If my Weezing is worthless as it is, should I switch it for maybe Donphan? That cover my weakness to spikes and helps out with those pesky Raikous. I'm just afraid of straying too far from a stall team and becoming just a regular balanced team. Let me know what you think, thanks
  4. Actaeon

Actaeon

5. wooooood

wooooood

so final draft (I'm only putting movesets, not all the ev spreads and natures etc.):

Zapdos
    - Thunderbolt
    - Light Screen
    - Rest
    - HP Grass

Milotic
    - Ice Beam
    - Surf
    - Hypnosis
    - Recover

Dusclops
    - Will o Wisp
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sleep Talk
    - Rest

Heracross
    - Rock Slide
    - Facade
    - Focus Punch
    - Megahorn

Blissey
    - Softboiled/Wish
    - Ice Beam/Wish
    - Toxic
    - Seismic Toss

Skarmory
    - Rest
    - Spikes
    - Whirlwind
    - Drill Peck

The only comments I can think of are if for some reason I change to Suicune instead of Milotic I'd run aromatherapy on Blissey again, and Heracross is now a CB set.
  6. Actaeon

Actaeon

Looks better, you can also have Ice Beam and Seismic Toss while tossing Toxic in that Blissey moveset, if you want. (Then you have Wish, Ice Beam, Seismic Toss and Softboiled). Toxic on Zapdos is a good option since you will outstall standard MixPert anyway by using Light Screen. For Cursepert with HP Rock, Skarmory and Heracross should provide enough resistance.

A problem you are going to meet is the fact that your Skarmory is going to Rest and not wake up for 2 turns, losing your SkarmBliss-effect for too long. Skarmbliss doesn't really work on full potential without Aromatherapy, but you might want to use SubSkarm instead, combining with Wish. Be careful about stuff like Burn, though.

To make even more use of Wish, you should consider Vaporeon on your team so you have 2 Wishers, theoretically one for healing Heracross and the other one for healing Skarmory (with Substitute). For example, use something like [Surf, Ice Beam, Wish, Protect / Roar / Haze] on Vappy if you're planning to do that. 2 Wishers on a team generally works alot better than relying on one Wisher to heal more than one Pokémon.

It all depends on how you want your team to be, offensive, balanced, defensive? Each team has its letdowns on other teams, and no one team is without problems, it's just the art of minimalising your problems using the kind of team you have. These choices, your choices, will have a result in how your final team coverage is. As this team is still somewhere between balanced and defensive, you don't really have all the advantages that come with either of those. Therefore it's important to choose the amount of Wishers, offenses and similar things before actually making this team.

If I forgot something, I hope to read it soon.
  7. david stone

david stone Fast-moving, smart, sexy and alarming.
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Super Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

There isn't really an advantage to using Substitute Skarmory. The only reason people used it on Netbattle is because a bug had Rapid Spin not working through Substitute (it does remove Spikes even if it hits a Substitute).

You cannot have both Drill Peck and Whirlwind on the same Skarmory. Either replace Drill Peck with HP Flying (or I guess Steel Wing) or lose Whirlwind for Roar.
  8. wooooood

wooooood

Obi* - thanks for the technicality, I must've completely overlooked that. I'll switch whirlwind for roar because frankly I would rather not mess with getting my IVs perfect through breeding.
    Actaeon- I feel toxic on Blissey is pretty necessary. Yea the SpD alone is enough to force a switch, but I think the added stalling of toxic really enhances the forced switches. I'm not saying I couldn't still run Toxic on Zapdos as well, I just prefer Blissey also have it.
    I see what you mean about the importance of wish, but I don't want to revamp my entire team to protect Skarm for those two turns, unless that is the most important aspect of my entire team. I think I'll run (Wish/Softboiled/Seismic Toss/Toxic) on Blissey, giving the wish coverage I need and the Toxic I want. What do you think?

*EDIT* I have no way of actually getting wish on Blissey, it was an event move only. :(
    Also I think I found a way to cover all my bases, maybe not to the extent to which you wanted but here goes-
    Vaporeon for Milotic, running (Wish/Toxic/Surf/Roar). Blissey picks up aromatherapy, at the risk of messing up Heracross but to keep skarm alive, so (Aromatherapy/Softboiled/ Seismic Toss/ Toxic). Zapdos will also run toxic, with (Toxic/Light Screen/Thunderbolt/Rest). The purpose of the team will be to spike, p-haze, and toxic, and when possible set up a heracross sweep. whaddya think?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)