RNG vs no RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been prepping for VGC for a few months now. Soft reseting and breeding 31's into the IVs i know i'll need on certain pokemon. Playing against plenty of people and even winning my fair share of matches. I've never been the biggest fan of RNGing because i personally see it as cheating (not that is) So i'd just like to ask how many people use the RNG for IV's and how do you personally feel someone who isn't using it will do in the tournament?

It's a competition. If you want to be competitive you should be willing to do everything you can(within the rules of the tournament) you can to be succesful. I don't think IV's will make a huge difference in the first few rounds but Im pretty sure ounce you get to the more experienced battlers who do RnG, you will be at a definate disadvantage.

Im going to be competing in the dallas regionals. Which is in a little more then two weeks do you even think there's time to learn and remake a team of 4?

I wouldn't say there is time. With any team you need to practice and refine your team. There might be time to rng the pokemon if you really tried to, but it might not leave you with enough time to test your team. For me, it takes a while to plan, and perfect a team. If you added rnging then it might not be enough time. You could of course try and if you think there is not enough time then you could use the rng'd pokemon that you have and breed the rest. It also depends on how much you play.

My brother and I didn't rng, got our pokes through soft resetting, and were able to get ready in time for the tourney, so even if you're picky, if you play regularly you should be fine.

As for how well you do, I think its far more important that you know what you'll want to do in certain situations. Basically, skill and prediction are going to be much more important than having perfect IV's all around, in my opinion.

We were able to do well as such

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Really the only times IV matters are:
- speed (frequently)
- where it's a few stats difference for a OHKO / 2HKO / etc (rarely)

If you aren't running into those situations, it's not a big deal. I did have those situations to think about so I traded for Pokemon with people who were good at manipulating the random number generator.

Yeah, Firestorm nailed it.
You want to make sure you can at least get a speed tie with other potential perfects,
and there were several times in the tournament that if i had had one or two less IV's in hp or whichever defense, my poke wouldn't have survived.

Are the pokemon you've already caught pretty good on the IV scale of things?
I'm not trying to get you to spill anything, but if you've taken such time to
reset for good guys, you might be well enough set, and your time would be
better used to practice, or make sure your team doesn't have any
glaring weaknesses.

I cant personally rng and don't know how to soft reset. I do know how to breed for iv's though with good iv dittos. I do that until I get the right nature/ ability for like 5 or 6 pokemon. Then I take them to high lvl pokemon with exp share and use metalkids iv checker to find ivs. For me this is fast and easy and gets pretty good results. Last pokemon- 25/31/20/31/31/4. Its not the way I want it perfectly because I would prefer s atk to be in hp or def, but the point is this works pretty well. If you do not have time to learn RNG then this is a good option. Always leave time to play around with your team to learn what to do in different situations

I cant personally rng and don't know how to soft reset. I do know how to breed for iv's though with good iv dittos. I do that until I get the right nature/ ability for like 5 or 6 pokemon. Then I take them to high lvl pokemon with exp share and use metalkids iv checker to find ivs. For me this is fast and easy and gets pretty good results. Last pokemon- 25/31/20/31/31/4. Its not the way I want it perfectly because I would prefer s atk to be in hp or def, but the point is this works pretty well. If you do not have time to learn RNG then this is a good option. Always leave time to play around with your team to learn what to do in different situations
If you train a pokemon via EXP Share, it still gains EV's, which would make your IV calculations incorrect.

metal kids iv calc has an app for that. lol jk it has a place to put in the EPs gained while training or you could simply use a stat reducing berry. Your choice. Its one of the most accurate iv calcs out there and you only need to lvl the pokemon to about 10 for accurate results

thanks a lot of the help, i think ill just continue using guys with perfect iv's in the stats that matter. While working on the strategy of the game more. Thanks a lot for the info :D

I don't RNG, i seriously breed the old-fashioned way... with boxes and boxes of pokemon... and the turn out has been pretty good. I mean, there are certain pokemon that I only focused on the IVs that mattered... but I've not had much trouble getting 31s this way (especially with HGSS' power item trick)

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
True fact: I won nationals last year without RNGing for IVs on my Infernape, Togekiss, or Metagross (though I still RNGed for shininess on the latter two).

Obsessing over IVs aren't what will win you the game, but it helps. Slightly. Moreso if the stat is Speed.

To the issue of whether it's cheating, it seems to me that people around here define cheating as the following: the use of an external device to directly modify Pokemon in the game.

Hence, RNG abuse does not qualify, as it's simply prediction based on a deep understanding of the underlying mechanisms of the game, rather than a subversion of the game mechanics themselves. It's the same as using Newton's Laws to calculate where a hit baseball is going to end up--it's not "cheating" to understand (and exploit) basic physics.

I don't RNG, i seriously breed the old-fashioned way... with boxes and boxes of pokemon... and the turn out has been pretty good. I mean, there are certain pokemon that I only focused on the IVs that mattered... but I've not had much trouble getting 31s this way (especially with HGSS' power item trick)
I can't RNG in HGSS (haven't beaten Red yet and stupidly lost my Togepi egg), so I've been trying to re-breed a lot of pokes the old fashioned way. Got some great results (a Sassy 31/28/28/3/31/1 Onix), but after filling up four boxes with eggs and ending up with only a PASSABLE Ralts (Quiet 18/19/11/31/23/0 Trace--it's min speed on purpose), I said "screw it" and began using the IV check and Quick Hatch ARDS codes.

IV's are not as important as people make them out to be. My legitimate non-RNG'd team in SoulSilver beat my friend's PokeSav'd team with all perfect IV's 3-0 (singles, 6 each). So you can't bank very heavily on IV's really.

They make the differences of 1 stat point at level 100, and at level 50, roughly half of those count (give or take). You have the opportunity to do well without RNG abuse. Are your chances as high? Probably not.

dont worry about RNG I dont know how to do it but by soft reseting I got this!
27/28/26/27/30/31 modest ghastly. It only took me a few hours with perfect ditto and IV check code + nature check glitch
so what I wanted to say you dont have to RNG to win

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
MY nats team last year had no r n g's and i still made it to worlds. Some of them even had secondary iv's like the defenses as low as five. Just get thirty one's where you need them and bring a tight team and you'll be fine. Team synergy is more important. . . . That being said i know how to r n g now so all my pokes will be flawless.

What I don't really hear people talk about much is that far more important than IVs is Nature.

Ignoring HP, the formula for Lv.50 stats is:

Nature x [Base + floor(IV/2 + EV/8) + 5]

where "floor" means "round down."

For easy math, consider Jirachi, who has straight-100s for the stats.

Consider any given stat, and consider the best possible scenario: Positive nature, 31 IV, 252 EV. The stat will have a value of 167.

Now, let's just consider deviation from this ideal where we only change one thing at a time.

First, consider 0 IV. That lowers the stat from 167 to 149.
Now, consider no EVs instead. From 167 to 132.
Now, instead, give it a neutral nature. From 167 to 152.
If that nature were--God forbid--hindering, the drop is from 167 to 137.

So an Adamant Jirachi with 0 attack IV will hit about as hard as a Hardy Jirachi with 31 IV for attack. And a *Modest* Jirachi with perfect attack will only physically hit a little bit harder than an UNTRAINED Adamant Jirachi.

Luckily, with Everstone breeding and synchronizers, nature is just about the easiest thing to control.

I ... don't know how to soft reset.
Sure you do. Turn the unit off, turn it back on. Technically, a "soft reset" is when you hold down L+R+Start+Select, which re-boots the game but not the DS, but just turning the unit off and on accomplishes the same thing, albeit with a little more lag.

What i meant was i dont know how to take advantage of that. I don't know how that helps your ivs any better than breeding with perfect ditto boxes of pokemon

I guess if you use the rng to make sure the nature is going to be the one you want. I havn't tried that yet. I suppose that I should, it might be faster.

Actually RNG takes an hour or two, not much different from Soft Reseting for a spread.

An advanced RNGer can crank out good spreads/natures/etc in under an hour. I can do it in 30 mins or less these days. :/

The problem that I have with RNG is understanding all of the things on RNG reporter. I used youtube videos to learn since I can actually watch it work, but I think the video I watched the guy has a different rng reporter. Anyone know the best place to learn to RNG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)