1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Gen 1 RoA Mini-Tourney 6: Abnormal RBY - Congratulations Crystal_!

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Jellicent, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Crystal_

Crystal_
    is a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

I think coin flips are the worst possible thing to do imho. Not just because of this particular example, because I don't know what has happened between Dre and Kennen to begin with, but in general, in tournaments. If one player has been, even if only very slightly, more active than the other player, he gets the act win (which seems to be the case with M Dragon vs Omanyte for example), but if both are equally inactive and neither of them deserve the act win, both players should be DQ'd imo, and the player that had to face the winner of that matchup in the next round, is just given a bye. That's the most reasonable thing imo.
  2. Jorgen

Jorgen World's Strongest Fairy
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

Either way somebody advances without battling. A coin flip advances somebody from a lower round, a bye advances somebody deeper in the tour. It always sucks when battles don't get done, but coin flips keep it from shaking up the more competitive rounds.

Anyway I've just VM'd Deluks to begin working out a time to do this.
  3. Golden Gyarados

Golden Gyarados

PMed M Dragon.
  4. Crystal_

Crystal_

Oh well. Anyway when inactivity reaches a point where it is impossible to decide which player should advance, it is very likely that the player who wins the random coinflip will be inactive in the next round as well.

So I guess ultimately it rarely matters if you coin-flip or DQ both or whatever, anyway.
  5. M Dragon

M Dragon The north wind
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arena Tycoonis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Champion

Answered
    We might battle today
  6. Borat

Borat

There should be a courtesy final's week extension!
  7. Jorgen

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

^yeah that pretty much

Although of the two battles that didn't get done I don't think Finals were the main limiting factor
  8. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Winner

I'd just like to know who I'm playing please :)
  9. Jorgen

Deluks917 fell victim to my TOTALLY LEGIT STRATEGY

Though to be fair it looked like he was using it too, I was just the first one to get it rolling :P

Anyway gg
  10. M Dragon

M Dragon The north wind
    is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arena Tycoonis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Champion

11. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn

Kennen and I are scheduled to play tomorrow.

Edit: Two paralysis and a speed tie consecutively kill my Zam, my Starmie dies to a Thunderbolt para full para, my Golem misses a crucial Rock Slide, and my Cloyster, the Pokemon that would have 6-0'd him from that point onward, misses Blizzard and gets Exploded on. That's RBY for you. GG.
  12. Kennen

Kennen dont you worry child

won against lavos, gg.

If you are using recover 3 times consecutively and I used thunderbolt is normal you got a paralysis, you Cloyster missed Blizzard and your Golem missed rock slide, whatever in the rock slide I didn't die, so that was irrelevant and you don't know my last pokemon, so you can't say it was 6-0 for you.
  13. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Gonna do coin flips right in #ruinsofalph from now on. /me pet pluffers

Show Hide
    <&Jellicent> heads for heist, tails for crystal_
    <&Jellicent> !flip
    <@Jirachi> Flipped a coin, got tails.

Semi-finals pairings:

Kennen vs Jorgen
    Crystal_ vs M Dragon

LGI!
  14. Jorgen

Oh dear. Between holiday stuff and SPL I almost forgot I was even in this. I've reached out to Kennen though, hopefully we can get this done sometime within 24 hours of this post.

EDIT: Okay so it's not looking like it's going to be happening since Kennen isn't available for the next 3 days and our attempts to play tonight fell through. Requesting a little holiday grace from the strict 3-day deadline for this match to get done.
  15. Xelx

Xelx
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

16. Crystal_

Crystal_

just saying this. I was on Netbattle at that time, I stayed there for hours, and he didn't show up. I didn't post anything here because I thought DL was Sunday and I was about to VM him today again when I saw this. I don't know, I feel like I'm the one who should advance because of that, but not thanks to a coin flip. I don't like the idea of advancing to a coin flip, it's stupid for me.
  17. Jellicent

is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

I'm fine with a holiday grace period for you all~

Just try to get these done reasonably quickly :3
  18. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn

:toast:
  19. Kennen

I VMed you 2 times, but you logged off after my VMs (because you must to sleep, I guess) .. so both need a extension for the match (I guess), I can play after the 25th.
  20. Kennen

lost against Jorgen, gg!
  21. Jorgen

gg, glad to have gotten a chance to get this done. thanks jelli
  22. M Dragon

M Dragon The north wind

Lost to Crystal_
    I got a bit unlucky with some FPs late game
    gg
  23. Crystal_

Crystal_

beat M Dragon in a colse battle with a bit of luck at the end. gg.
  24. Jellicent

Ruiner of Alph

Alright, time for finals:

Crystal_ vs Jorgen

Good luck, have fun, and may the best man win. Everyone else, you may place your bets now~
  25. Xelx

Xelx
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Crystal_

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)