OU RoA Speed CCAT 2 - Step 3: Teammates - Muk

Snorlax is pretty much a guaranteed addition to any team, but no need to bring it up before we've even decided which set best fits the team.

Exeggutor

Lavos

Banned deucer.
hey which one of you did i fight on ladder earlier? your team was clamp cloyster, snorlax, tyranitar (might have been gengar i forgot), exeggutor, light screen machamp, and muk

also this voting phase went way too fast without enough submissions but yeah i support exeggutor it's good

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Champ + Pursuit is a nice idea, but when you're committed to also running Muk, you end up with only 1 dof left for a bunch of roles left to be filled on your team (assuming Lax + Electric is a given, you will still need a Phazer, most likely a Spiker/Spinner, a Ground to tank Thunders, and an additional check to Marowak/Grounds in general), so I'm not too crazy about it.

Snorlax is a given, that's not even a nomination, and deciding on its set this early might be a little premature.

Therefore, Egg. With Sleep Powder, please.

Step 3: Teammates

ok so we got muk and exeggutor!

Muk @ Leftovers
- Curse
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast
- Explosion

+

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
- Psychic
- Explosion
- Giga Drain
- Stun Spore/Sleep Powder

now nominate teammates (could it be only one or a core). 48h or so for this step

also guys i know the last step was way too fast, but there was a lack of nominations, so guys, if you still care about this, is that easy to put a set and write a few lines to explain why, otherwise we could close and save time before this dies. that's all

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I feel like this team's trending toward a Spikes-less Explosion team intended to set up a particular late-game sweeper. I felt that way ever since Muk got the nod, and Egg being added to the mix makes it even more certain that that's the best route to go. The main problem, however, is that the typical late-game sweeper is Vap, but Vap wants a way to deal with Raikou, and the typical Raikou-remover, Gengar, is harder to fit on a team with a mutually Ground-weak Exploder like Muk that isn't also the team's main Phazer/Lax counter.

Another candidate is Curse Heracross: his downside is that he requires even more setup to get to work, but on the upside, he doesn't need Raikou out of the way. We might even be able to get away without Pursuit support; Missy gets Poisoned by Muk, and Gengar is 5HKOed by Fire Blast (or potentially burned by Flamethrower) while failing to do the same in return with Thunderbolt (and struggling to hit all the Thunders needed for the job).

One idea I've also had for teams of this sort is to kill two birds with one stone and make Rock Slide Steelix the endgame sweeper. His downside is that it only takes on Fire Blast from Lax to prevent a sweep from happening, but on the upside, there's a lot of Monolax out there, and all of his other counters are very much targetable by Explosion, not to mention that, as I already said, he kills two birds with one stone by being the main Snorlax counter in addition to being the sweeper.

In the spirit of CCATs being aimed toward using exotic Pokemon, and this CCAT's aim in particular to use a mon that's widely regarded as on the cusp of OU-level but difficult to make work, I'll suggest Heracross:

Heracross @ Leftovers
-Megahorn
-Curse/Seismic Toss
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

SToss is a slash in case we wimp out. Curse Hera is basically worthless until an endgame where all its counters are dead, and to ensure this happens against stuff like Skarm, we're shoehorned into running a pretty niche Lax set. So it's understandable we might want to take a middle-of-the-road approach and allow Hera a chance at doing something worthwhile in the middle game, especially as its typing is alluring in terms of checking Grounds. However, I find that it's not really as good as you'd hope it'd be at doing midgame Ground-checking, so I figure its best bet (apart from gimmicky EndRev sets) is to hold out for a favorable endgame.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I don't even know what Muk lures in to Explode on. Most of its best switch-ins resist Explosion anyway and the two that don't, Nidoking and Marowak, are not much of a threat to stopping a boosting sweeper anyway. It seems more like Muk kinda Explodes when it feels like it and catches whatever happens to be there at the time, not really luring in an obvious target. That said, it could behoove us to continue piling on the boosters and in practical play, you just try to Explode once you've done sufficient scouting and clear the way for the correct one to sweep, whichever one that may be.

I don't know if or what I want to nominate, these kind of activities aren't really my thing. I'm better at just rooting from the sidelines here... Muk + Eggy complement each other fairly well on defense, only real issue being sorta Marowak if it switches into Muk. In the spirit of above, Heracross could a thing I suppose. So could Steelix, as Jorgen also mentioned, which I think is the better fit at this time since it covers some defensive duties better (Muk is already the same sort of pseudo-defensive mon that Heracross is, not having many crippling weaknesses but taking just a bit too much neutral damage from everything to be a primary defensive look at much): being a Normal resist, a better primary look at Zapdos/Raikou than Eggy and packing Roar in case of Perish Trap or BP. Steelix can also Explode but Explosion Steelix can't sweep shit and it has more, and more important, defensive duties than other Exploders anyway.

I'd also say that Rapid Spin could be kind of a useful thing here, probably Forretress since Starmie doesn't do much defensively with Machamp already so well-covered and the other options are just generally sucky. And hey, it also Explodes. Dunno if we really need Spikes though, but it never hurts, and Forry has pretty limited defensive utility since it does nothing to Snorlax irrespective of it not having Fire Blast (Toxic is too slow, you can't Explode into Curse boosts).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)